The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:33 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 pm I'm kind of tired of the whole "Well that's just Trump being Trump!" argument. The guy is sick in the head and needs to be removed from office.
I'm sick and tired of the whole "x is liberal Trump hater" dodge, where if you criticize Trump you are an extreme liberal to be dismissed. What do they call that? Affirming the consequent? Arguing in circles?

Response to everything political:
P1: Criticism of Trump is exclusively the province of an extremist liberals
P2: Extremist liberals are to be dismissed
P3: Disagreeing with P1 is a criticism of Trump
C: Profit!

This dissonance is unshakable or at least it has been to date. I can't be even be in listening distance of that behavior any more.
Yes, I have been quite vocal on my criticism of Trump and the first thing I'm called by people that don't know me is a far left liberal. It really get's tiring.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Grifman wrote:Yes, I have been quite vocal on my criticism of Trump and the first thing I'm called by people that don't know me is a far left liberal.
It's because they have no leg to stand on when it comes to actually debating policies. So the default reaction is "paint the guy as a far left liberal enemy and yell really loud."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 am We have a "Cheif" Hostage Negotiator?
Yep. To never make deals with "terroists."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:33 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 pm I'm kind of tired of the whole "Well that's just Trump being Trump!" argument. The guy is sick in the head and needs to be removed from office.
I'm sick and tired of the whole "x is liberal Trump hater" dodge, where if you criticize Trump you are an extreme liberal to be dismissed. What do they call that? Affirming the consequent? Arguing in circles?

Response to everything political:
P1: Criticism of Trump is exclusively the province of an extremist liberals
P2: Extremist liberals are to be dismissed
P3: Disagreeing with P1 is a criticism of Trump
C: Profit!

This dissonance is unshakable or at least it has been to date. I can't be even be in listening distance of that behavior any more.
Yes, I have been quite vocal on my criticism of Trump and the first thing I'm called by people that don't know me is a far left liberal. It really get's tiring.
They voted to pwn teh libs. Winning!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote:
Grifman wrote:Yes, I have been quite vocal on my criticism of Trump and the first thing I'm called by people that don't know me is a far left liberal.
It's because they have no leg to stand on when it comes to actually debating policies. So the default reaction is "paint the guy as a far left liberal enemy and yell really loud."
They don't care about policies as long as libs get mad. Pwn teh libs!

Which is basically everyone who disagrees with them.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Are we going to war with Mexico or what?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That fucking apostrophe. Arrrrrgh.

"Countries" you fucking idiot president. "Countries."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

In the past few days, Facebook and other social media platforms have purged alt-right and Nazi accounts just as they do any other hate sites.

Trump is not happy, apparently because he doesn't understand how the 1st Amendment works.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He understands that the government (i.e. him) getting involved in speech is exactly the opposite of the 1st amendment, right?

He's the personification of democratic cancer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't even know where to put this shit anymore - John Kelly joins BOD of organization that operates for-profit shelters to migrant children in Texas:
"With four decades of military and humanitarian leadership, in-depth understanding of international affairs and knowledge of current economic drivers around the world, General Kelly is a strong strategic addition to our team," said James Van Dusen, Caliburn's CEO. "Our board remains acutely focused on advising on the safety and welfare of unaccompanied minors who have been entrusted to our care and custody by the Department of Health and Human Services to address a very urgent need in caring for and helping to find appropriate sponsors for these unaccompanied minors."

Kelly joined DC Capital's board in February 2016 and stepped down in January 2017 when he was confirmed as Secretary of Homeland Security. Kelly switched jobs in July 2017 to become President Trump's chief of staff, a position he left at the end of 2018.

During Kelly's tenure, the administration pursued ambitious changes to immigration enforcement, and the average length of stay for an unaccompanied migrant child in U.S. custody skyrocketed.

In the past year, Comprehensive Health Services, the only private company operating shelters, became one of the most dominant players in the industry. Last August, it secured three licenses for facilities in Texas, totaling 500 beds, and in December, the Homestead facility began expanding from a capacity of 1,250 beds to 3,200.

Located on several acres of federal land adjacent to an Air Reserve Base, the facility is the nation's only site not subject to routine inspections by state child welfare experts.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:21 pm I don't even know where to put this shit anymore - John Kelly joins BOD of organization that operates for-profit shelters to migrant children in Texas:
"With four decades of military and humanitarian leadership, in-depth understanding of international affairs and knowledge of current economic drivers around the world, General Kelly is a strong strategic addition to our team," said James Van Dusen, Caliburn's CEO. "Our board remains acutely focused on advising on the safety and welfare of unaccompanied minors who have been entrusted to our care and custody by the Department of Health and Human Services to address a very urgent need in caring for and helping to find appropriate sponsors for these unaccompanied minors."

Kelly joined DC Capital's board in February 2016 and stepped down in January 2017 when he was confirmed as Secretary of Homeland Security. Kelly switched jobs in July 2017 to become President Trump's chief of staff, a position he left at the end of 2018.

During Kelly's tenure, the administration pursued ambitious changes to immigration enforcement, and the average length of stay for an unaccompanied migrant child in U.S. custody skyrocketed.

In the past year, Comprehensive Health Services, the only private company operating shelters, became one of the most dominant players in the industry. Last August, it secured three licenses for facilities in Texas, totaling 500 beds, and in December, the Homestead facility began expanding from a capacity of 1,250 beds to 3,200.

Located on several acres of federal land adjacent to an Air Reserve Base, the facility is the nation's only site not subject to routine inspections by state child welfare experts.
:roll:
Obviously in: "Donald Trump's Cabinet picks"....

(j/k, of course. I entirely understand)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Remember when Trump claimed he would end the revolving door for profit?

:sigh:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump retweeted the following:

Holy shit he's really test-marketing this:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Stollen (German pronunciation: [ˈʃtɔlən] (About this soundlisten) or [ʃtɔln] (About this soundlisten)) is a fruit bread of nuts, spices, and dried or candied fruit, coated with powdered sugar or icing sugar. It is a traditional German bread
They brought sweet bread? How thoughtful.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Between that and Keith Koffler's opinion yesterday that the Democrats are distracting Trump from the real threats, I'm beginning to think there's some type of coordination going on.
At some point, Democrats must decide whether they care about the country more than they hate President Donald Trump. They have to ask themselves: By continuing the vast investigations that have dogged Trump for two years, are we endangering the safety and security of the nation?
How do you seriously write that and pretend to be tethered to reality in any meaningful way?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Now that the Witch Hunt is over, Trump has time to focus on the important issues of the day.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Iiberals are at fault!

This guy has exactly one dog whistle and no understanding of how it works. He simply blows it constantly and sometimes good things happen.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It helps to fully understand the conservative definition of "political correctness".

If there's something I don't like - regardless of whether or not I understand it at all - then all I have to do is claim the issue is due to "political correctness" and my dislike is immediately justified, no matter what.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In short, the best horse didn't win the Kentucky Derby because we all say "Happy Holidays" in December now. Thanks libs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm Between that and Keith Koffler's opinion yesterday that the Democrats are distracting Trump from the real threats, I'm beginning to think there's some type of coordination going on.
At some point, Democrats must decide whether they care about the country more than they hate President Donald Trump. They have to ask themselves: By continuing the vast investigations that have dogged Trump for two years, are we endangering the safety and security of the nation?
How do you seriously write that and pretend to be tethered to reality in any meaningful way?

That would be the point where Barr refused to testify in front of the House. Trump and Barr stated they're willing to take the country I care about away from me. The decision has been made.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 pm In short, the best horse didn't win the Kentucky Derby because we all say "Happy Holidays" in December now. Thanks libs.
He's pre-building his defense for losing in 2020.

It's just like the Kentucky Derby.
Last edited by Unagi on Sun May 05, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You mis-spelled 'excuse for not stepping down peacefully'.

And 'losing.' but mostly the first one. :)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 pm And 'losing.' but mostly the first one.
I am so horrible at that word. I don't know why I constantly fall into it.

Moose
Loose

:grund:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm still trying to figure out what the Derby decision had to do with political correctness. Was the disqualified horse white?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can't begin to imagine how much Trump wishes the victory stealer was named 'Maximum Security' and the original first place horse was 'Country House'.... that would have played into his story SO much better.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Especially since "Maximum Security" actually managed to wall-off something.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:43 pm Now that the Witch Hunt is over, Trump has time to focus on the important issues of the day.

It's as if the outcome if the Derby was decided by an electoral college.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Not unexpected. I think he wants to be remembered as the patron saint of cheaters.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, at least he's not trying to use the term "political correctness" as a way to justify racism in that tweet.

Don't worry though, he'll use it that way again soon enough. As will Fox News and their viewers.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Trump pardons a war criminal:
The White House released a statement announcing Trump's decision to pardon Michael Behenna, who was sentenced in 2009 to 15 years for shooting and killing Ali Mansur Mohamed. The move comes after repeated requests from Oklahoma's attorney general for Trump to pardon Behenna.

Prosecutors argued Behenna shot and killed Mansur, an alleged al Qaeda operative, in the desert in 2008 in retaliation for an improvised explosive device (IED) attack. Mansur had previously been ordered released because of a lack of evidence of his connection to the terrorist group, and Behenna reportedly killed him while returning him to his hometown after attempting to question him about the IED attack.
Nothing like sending a message to your armed supporters, eh?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 pm Trump pardons a war criminal:
The White House released a statement announcing Trump's decision to pardon Michael Behenna, who was sentenced in 2009 to 15 years for shooting and killing Ali Mansur Mohamed. The move comes after repeated requests from Oklahoma's attorney general for Trump to pardon Behenna.

Prosecutors argued Behenna shot and killed Mansur, an alleged al Qaeda operative, in the desert in 2008 in retaliation for an improvised explosive device (IED) attack. Mansur had previously been ordered released because of a lack of evidence of his connection to the terrorist group, and Behenna reportedly killed him while returning him to his hometown after attempting to question him about the IED attack.
Nothing like sending a message to your armed supporters, eh?
Sheer coincidence that the murderer is the son of high-profile Oklahoma GOP operatives.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The unprecedented attack on the White House press corps continues.

A quick summation of what is going on is that after they revoked Jim Acosta's press pass for standing up to Trump the WH lost a court case because there was no standard to revoke press passes. So they cooked up an impossible standard to meet and now everyone is allowed as 'exceptions' to the policy. This WH is blatantly lawless. That they've wrapped their law breaking in a bullshit legal wrapper doesn't make it any more lawful. I can only hope these people end up in handcuffs eventually. In reality I expect it'll either get worse or it'll be swept under the rug. This country is in a death spiral as bite after bite is taken out of our norms.
By Dana Milbank
Columnist
May 8 at 5:00 PM
For the past 21 years, I have had the high privilege of holding a White House press pass, a magical ticket that gives the bearer a front-row seat to history.

<snip>

I’m not the only one. I was part of a mass purge of “hard pass” holders after the White House implemented a new standard that designated as unqualified almost the entire White House press corps, including all seven of The Post’s White House correspondents. White House officials then chose which journalists would be granted “exceptions.” It did this over objections from news organizations and the White House Correspondents’ Association.

The Post requested exceptions for its seven White House reporters and for me, saying that this access is essential to our work (in my case, I often write “sketches” describing the White House scene). The White House press office granted exceptions to the other seven, but not to me. I strongly suspect it’s because I’m a Trump critic. The move is perfectly in line with Trump’s banning of certain news organizations, including The Post, from his campaign events and his threats to revoke White House credentials of journalists he doesn’t like.

<snip>

I’m not looking for pity. Trump’s elimination of briefings and other changes have devalued White House coverage anyway. But there’s something wrong with a president having the power to decide which journalists can cover him.

Now, virtually the entire White House press corps is credentialed under “exceptions,” which means, in a sense, that they all serve at the pleasure of press secretary Sarah Sanders because they all fail to meet credentialing requirements — and therefore, in theory, can have their credentials revoked any time they annoy Trump or his aides, like CNN’s Jim Acosta did.

Last year, Judge Timothy Kelly, a Trump appointee, ordered the White House to restore Acosta’s press credentials, saying that the White House’s process for revoking his access (after Acosta had aggressively questioned Trump) was “shrouded in mystery.”

In response, it seems, the White House established a clear — if nearly impossible — standard: no credentials to any journalist who is not in the building on at least 90 out of the previous 180 days — in other words, seven of every 10 workdays. The White House wouldn’t provide numbers, but it appears most of the White House press corps didn’t qualify for credentials under the new standard, including regulars for The Post and the Associated Press. (Trump, who has spent more than 200 days at Trump properties and many more on travel, is barely in the White House this much himself.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well OTOH, the WH rarely holds official press briefings, and when they do Sarah just delivers lies and stonewalls questions. A good argument can be made that the press corps should boycott the briefings. But I guess you can't boycott if you can't get in.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They should pay interns to hang around the White House for the required number of days and get passes. A conference packed with post millennials would be fun.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:54 am They should pay interns to hang around the White House for the required number of days and get passes. A conference packed with post millennials would be fun.
Yeah, I've heard this idea a couple times, and it seems like the best option to me. The news organizations would still be able to learn whatever news items the administration is putting out, while treating the press briefings with the importance that they now deserve.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump will hold daily press conferences as soon as the mainstream press is denied all access.

Lately he's been touting something called One America News Network in his tweets. Needless to say, they make Fox look like Mother Jones.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm Trump will hold daily press conferences as soon as the mainstream press is denied all access.

Lately he's been touting something called One America News Network in his tweets. Needless to say, they make Fox look like Mother Jones.
OANN has actually been around since 2013. Unlike InfoWars, they actually have a television channel. And yes, they are very pro-Trump and are into the far right conspiracy theory stuff.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Holman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm Trump will hold daily press conferences as soon as the mainstream press is denied all access.

OANN has actually been around since 2013. Unlike InfoWars, they actually have a television channel. And yes, they are very pro-Trump and are into the far right conspiracy theory stuff.
Why oh why couldn't they have gone with something that spelled ONAN?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:47 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Why oh why couldn't they have gone with something that spelled ONAN?
:lol: :lol:
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

How Golf Explains Trump.
Well, this story isn’t in the book but it’s wild. While Trump was meeting with Kim Jong Un in Singapore, a club championship was held at Trump International, the course Trump built near Mar-a-Lago in Florida. So later on, Trump’s back on the course there with the Secret Service and the SWAT team guys and all that stuff. And he sees Ted Virtue, who was involved in the financing of the movie Green Book.

I could never get Virtue to call me back on all this, but Golf.com reported it and I heard it from two members of the club as well. They say Virtue was there playing with his son. Trump sees Ted on the 9th hole and and decides to drive his cart over. He tells Ted: “Congrats on winning the club championship, but you didn’t really win it, because I was out of town.”

Ted tries to laugh it off, but Trump is dead serious. Trump says, “We’re gonna play these last six holes for the championship.” And Ted’s like, “Oh, well, I’m playing with my son, but thanks anyway.” But Trump says, “It’s okay. Your son can play, too.” So what are you going to do? He’s the president. It’s his course. They end up playing.

Apparently, they get to a hole with a big pond in front of the green. Both Ted and his son hit the ball on the green, but Trump hits his in the water. By the time they get to the hole, though, Trump is lining up the son’s ball. Only now it’s his ball and the caddie has switched it.

The son is like, “That’s my ball!” But Trump’s caddie goes, “No, this is the president’s ball; your ball went in the water.” Ted and his son look at each other confused, not sure if this is really happening. Trump makes that putt, and wins one up. Then, according to Golf.com, he tells Virtue something like, “I’ll tell you what, we’ll be co-champions.”

But the members tell me that when you look at the plaques on Trump’s locker there, it says: “2018 Men’s Club Champion.” No “co-” at all.