City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cylus Maxii

Re: City of Heroes/Villains Lives!

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am Which reminds me ... I was a completionist as well - but I think a number of badges were available inside missions or you had to pick them up as you leveled through content and couldn't outgrow contacts too quickly. Is that still a thing, or can you get every badge at level 50?
I really don't know the answer to this. I think my only badges so far have been for either exploration, or for accomplishments like day jobs and kills/arrests. I guess I will update if I run a task force. Honestly, I'm not really trying to be a completionist again. There is too much likelihood that it will either get shutdown, or wiped/reset at some point.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Wow. Aaron Williams. I had no idea he was still publishing stuff. I really enjoyed PS238.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:18 amHonestly, I'm not really trying to be a completionist again. There is too much likelihood that it will either get shutdown, or wiped/reset at some point.
That was my feeling, too. I'm not taking my time too seriously and am just enjoying being able to play again. I'm approaching it like each day may be the day NCSoft sends a lawyer down to the new "owners" server farm with a cattle prod and puts the equipment down for good. It may crop up again in some dark web fashion, but will lack my characters again and I'll take another three years to hear about it as it slowly filters into the void.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am Wow. Aaron Williams. I had no idea he was still publishing stuff. I really enjoyed PS238.
Full Frontal Nerdity is still going strong. Last PS238 update shows 04/24/19, is tagged Volume 11.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Took me 3 years to get my first 50. I had prolly 30 - 40 characters level 10 or +. I had duo's I would run with my buddy as a super team, I had Supergroup only ones, solo ones, etc. etc.

I would come up with a theme first when designing. Biggest PITA back then was you had to go all the way through Character creation to validate the name. That would drive me nuts as it was usually the 1st thing I came up with and central to the theme I designed. Now, however you can validate the name right away.

The one thing that makes me a little nervous is that a game with no loot per say needs dangling carrots beyond leveling and powering up. Prestige for unlocking costumes, capes, super base stuff etc. used to help fill this gap but non of that is a thing now. But who reall ycares I'm just going to make an army of low level Alts anyhow ;).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:18 am
Paingod wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am Which reminds me ... I was a completionist as well - but I think a number of badges were available inside missions or you had to pick them up as you leveled through content and couldn't outgrow contacts too quickly. Is that still a thing, or can you get every badge at level 50?
I really don't know the answer to this. I think my only badges so far have been for either exploration, or for accomplishments like day jobs and kills/arrests. I guess I will update if I run a task force. Honestly, I'm not really trying to be a completionist again. There is too much likelihood that it will either get shutdown, or wiped/reset at some point.
So this stopped being a problem, from what I recall,once you could do time-travel missions? Does that sound right... I believe there was a way were you could go back and do things you missed.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yes, there is time-travel. I have already unlocked the power that takes me to Ourobos. I haven’t tried it yet... so..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

note: leveling pacts are not working. I tried to set one up last night.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have noticed that so far there is no debt for dying. Death teleporting is a thing.

Also, can anyone just start building a super base at no cost?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm I have noticed that so far there is no debt for dying.
You are just too low level (my guess.) I think it's level 15 where you start to get it, and I think even then you can die once and not encure debt.

Death teleporting... you mean Recalling a dead player? I think that's always been a thing... Or do you mean a dead player teleporting themselves?

and yeah, you can build a super base now for Zero cost.

there are a number of things previously earned that are now sorta handed out, but it's actually kinda nice. A super base is treated almost like making a character.

(I've been forced to join my 12 year old son's supergroup, and his teleporter room isn't so hot)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ye old Wiki is still online.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

i'm not going to be very active with others (12 hour time difference will do that) but is there an OO supergroup?

Can multiple people build a base or is it just one person?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm Ye old Wiki is still online.
My only concern there is that it appears to be out of date. With this not being an "official" CoH title, I don't know if anyone's pushing to maintain strong documentation of it anywhere. For example, the Wiki refers to being able to purchase some things with Paragon Points; things you can just give yourself now.

It's probably still 85-95% accurate, though, on terms of things like powers and game functions.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 am i'm not going to be very active with others (12 hour time difference will do that) but is there an OO supergroup?

Can multiple people build a base or is it just one person?
I think we are split up among servers.

Torchbearer is where most people started but that server is probably the most full.
I'm on Halycon with my son and daughter, it consistently has the lightest load. (They are moving servers this afternoon though, so I think they hope to help out all servers).

In the current build of CoH - ANYONE can build a supergroup, and then in turn - build a base (for free) for that supergroup.

But I think you question is more about permissions, and I yes - you can set it up so that many people in your supergroup are able to make changes to the base.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:41 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm Ye old Wiki is still online.
My only concern there is that it appears to be out of date. With this not being an "official" CoH title, I don't know if anyone's pushing to maintain strong documentation of it anywhere. For example, the Wiki refers to being able to purchase some things with Paragon Points; things you can just give yourself now.

It's probably still 85-95% accurate, though, on terms of things like powers and game functions.
Merit Points?
morlac

Post by morlac »

Im on Halycon due to server load. Apperently it is/will be the EU preferred setver. Good news is that charctertransfers are in beta and free of course. Ill let the dust settle and then move as needed.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You are correct - I was talking about permissions.

I have a character or so on most of the servers. I plan on moving a couple if and when I see one that has people I want to group with or is less crowded. Right now Halcyon is "winning" in a sense in that when I get home it seems to be uncrowded. Torchbearer is out for the most part at least on weekends.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

With Halycon down (for it's EU move) I may remake a lot of my toons on Torchbearer. I reserved the names of a few of them already (just Indominable (lightest loaded Canadian) and Torchbearer, actually)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:51 pm You are correct - I was talking about permissions.

I have a character or so on most of the servers. I plan on moving a couple if and when I see one that has people I want to group with or is less crowded. Right now Halcyon is "winning" in a sense in that when I get home it seems to be uncrowded. Torchbearer is out for the most part at least on weekends.
Try and at least grab your (alt) toon names on each server, so you are free to delete the place-holder-toon in order to freely move your toon over.
There is a re-name toon option, but I'd hate to need to do that.

my 2 cents
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Good call
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Reunion is now the EU server - all my characters were there. I just created a super group without any other people in it. Then I clicked on that blue shimmering cylinder and it ported me into a one room empty base and prompted me to expand it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Started an Ice/Ice Blaster last night, a power copy of one I liked from a long time ago but couldn't remember the name of - so I called him Arctic Fox (surprised it was available) and made him into a wolf-man Villain (with intent to make him a Hero some day). Had a pretty good time grouping up and doing the Death From Below trials a few times to jump up to 12th level. With all of his control power, he's probably a good Solo candidate.

So that gives me...

22 Dread Assembler - Science Hero - Robotics/Dark Mastermind
10 Invalid Command - Tech Hero - Assault/Devices Blaster
17 Forsaken Imp - Magic Hero - Gravity/Force Field Controller
12 Arctic Fox - Science Villain - Ice/Ice Blaster
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm Reunion is now the EU server - all my characters were there. I just created a super group without any other people in it. Then I clicked on that blue shimmering cylinder and it ported me into a one room empty base and prompted me to expand it.
That's about it. While you used to need to have your Super group earn Influence in order to expand it, now it is totally open... The only thing that bugs me about the base building is that the hallways that connect each room seem to be under a different rule than the rooms themselves, and it creates weird floor problems occasionally.

But, building ones own "Invention" Enhancements is pretty much key to the game at some point, and I don't know if there are places to craft other than super-bases... so one will need to do exactly as you've done. (build their own / or at least join one)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:10 am (surprised it was available)
Being in this early has some great grabs like that.

My daughter wanted to make a cat character (Claws Brute) and she said she was going to name her "Claws".... I said "Oh, honey, you should check right now to see if that name is still available". DING. It was....
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

On a different forum, I saw some folks griping about Mastermind pets not properly boosting their damage when slotted with DMG enhancers. This warrants more exploration and could potentially ruin Dread Assembler.

Side note: I can verify that there are still mission-specific badges for things you get from Contacts. I picked one up last night while poking through my mission list. If you're a completionist, Contacts will matter.

Don't forget to grab Mid's Hero Planner - I see it being referred to on the forums for this revitalized game, so I assume a lot of it still applies, at least for planning purposes.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Mid's Planner:
http://www.cohplanner.com/

(not entirely up to date, but it's worked enough for me)… Seriously critical.

Server Status:
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 am
Jaymann wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm Reunion is now the EU server - all my characters were there. I just created a super group without any other people in it. Then I clicked on that blue shimmering cylinder and it ported me into a one room empty base and prompted me to expand it.
That's about it. While you used to need to have your Super group earn Influence in order to expand it, now it is totally open... The only thing that bugs me about the base building is that the hallways that connect each room seem to be under a different rule than the rooms themselves, and it creates weird floor problems occasionally.

But, building ones own "Invention" Enhancements is pretty much key to the game at some point, and I don't know if there are places to craft other than super-bases... so one will need to do exactly as you've done. (build their own / or at least join one)
You can go to the University in Steel Canyon (South) and do a quick tutorial mission (for a badge!) and gain access to their enhancement crafter bench.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

So we have decided that Torchbearer is the server we're gonna make the group in? I was on Halcyon, but I didn't have anyone I was too attached to that I can't remake on another server.

***Edited to say I thought they had wiped the characters from Halcyon, but they didn't. It's way less crowded over here. Torchbearer had a 73-person line to wait in.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm Yes, there is time-travel. I have already unlocked the power that takes me to Ourobos. I haven’t tried it yet... so..
Hah, I went to Ourobos by accident. I was setting up a teleporter in my base, and selected "Echo" Galaxy City. When I ported there, there was a yellow Ourobos port. Now I can go any time.

Be sure to check out the "pay" vendor in Atlas near the enhancement vendor. Many prestige powers for free, very nice for a new character. Especially nice is Ninja Run, which is almost as good as super speed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't know how often I will group up but most of my preferred characters are on Reunion (ex-Halcyon) due to the overcrowded situation on most of the others.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 am I don't know how often I will group up but most of my preferred characters are on Reunion (ex-Halcyon) due to the overcrowded situation on most of the others.
That's where I am as well.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Over the weekend...

Dread Assembler, Robotics/Dark MM Hero, got to level 25. That second Tier II bot you get at Level 24 was needed.

A new Villain emerged - Dead Harmonics - a Necro/Sonic MM. He's now level 13, completely through solo missions with Contacts. The sparse population on the "Red" side can make it hard to find groups, even for things as common as the Death From Below trial. I built this guy on the premise that his minions are meant to be right in the mix with enemies and are largely disposable, so he plays quite differently from Dread Assembler, who works to keep his minions in good shape and out of direct melee (all robots have multiple ranged attacks, zombies have multiple melee attacks). Sonic works by reducing damage taken, and amplifying damage done to enemies. Seems a good pairing with undead.

By the end of Sunday, I was working on a costume concept for a Broadsword/Shield Brute Hero, name unknown. He wears light green/yellow tinted chain mail and light armor, Natural origin. His sword and shield are Tech styles.

The balance of Masterminds intrigues me. Around level 4-5, the game really abuses your single minion. It normalizes when you get your second minion. Around level 10-11, the game gets harder as your two little minions struggle to keep up - and at 12 it normalizes when you get our Tier II minion. The back and forth continues until you get all six pets and then never staggers again like that. A testament to how well the game is balanced.

I discovered that you can now complete "Get a Partner" missions solo. I was tasked with "Simultaneously" disarming two bombs, but had no problem disarming them as I discovered them. I was fully expecting to either fail the mission or use a free pass to get around it.

I did enjoy my first Mayhem missions, too. I had completely forgotten about the fun of laying waste to a row of parking meters.

Warm fuzzies bumping into old friends, like the Freakshow. Always was my favorite villain group, and it was fun fighting them again.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 am
By the end of Sunday, I was working on a costume concept for a Broadsword/Shield Brute Hero, name unknown. He wears light green/yellow tinted chain mail and light armor, Natural origin. His sword and shield are Tech styles.
What class gets a shield? I don't remember seeing this option.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am
Paingod wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 am
What class gets a shield? I don't remember seeing this option.
I think Shields are exclusive to Tankers and Brutes - but only if you choose "Shield" as the defensive line.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I found it under secondary powers, scrappers also can get one. If you take it first, it shows you what primary powers are allowed. Interesting that martial arts are allowed. Now I need to create a shield concept. :think:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can't believe I got the name Shield Bearer. A quick search turned up this image from Soul & Blade:

Here is my approximation. There are no lance weapons, so I just got the most over-the-top broadsword available:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Very nice! I hope he's everything you want... :D

I didn't get my Brute off the ground last night and instead tried an experiment with Robotics/Storm. I got him to 18 in around 90 minutes doing the Death From Below trial repeatedly. I'm not sure about the name "Hurricane Bill" - I went with a kind of steampunk look. I decided to try this out as Storm offers more interaction for me later on than Dark does, and has a lot of the same benefits.
  • Dark has a strong AoE heal which might miss, Storm has a weak single-target heal that buffs stun/sleep resist.
  • Dark has a good accuracy & damage debuff enemy AoE toggle, Storm has a potent speed debuff enemy AoE toggle
  • Dark has a good defensive PBAoE stealth toggle, Storm has a near-identical ability
  • Dark has a long recharge ranged AoE resist debuff, Storm has a moderate recharge ranged AoE resist debuff
  • Dark has a cone Fear, single target Hold, and an intangibility ability, Storm has a knockbacks, knockdowns, and disorient.
  • Dark summons a mini Dark/Dark Defender as the last ability that lasts 4 minutes (recharge in 8), Storm summons a powerful AoE storm that lasts 1 minute (recharge in 90 seconds).
Some similarities, but Storm seems more actively engaged in combat. Once my pets get fully defense buffed later on, the need for the AoE heal is diminished. I think Dark is a safer power set, but storm might be more fun. Testing will tell. My two characters are almost the same level and I'm eager to get them both to 32 to see how I feel about each. The one big thing Storm is missing is an Ally Rez, which means I might tote around a couple revives if I'm grouping.

Once I got out of Atlas and King's Row, the content (Contacts, Missions, Arcs) suddenly looks entirely familiar. I think they gave up on whatever re-write they were doing with that horrible "Twinshot" stuff and left well enough alone.
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Started a beast/kinetics last night, only got him to around 3. I think kinetics is new to MM's, because it has the potential to be incredibly strong. I remember people saying it would never be a secondary set for them because it would be OP. Looking forward to see what he can do.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I think Im going to try and get onto this tonight...lord help me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Welcome! Its a ton of fun!

My main (blaster) is up to 26 as of last night.