Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like the Trump Dump is set to take off in 2019! Only the greatest, yugest recession!
For the first time during Donald Trump’s presidency, both economic statistics and sentiment indicators are missing analysts’ expectations. So-called hard data includes government and private-sector data on consumer spending, jobs, manufacturing and housing, while the soft stats looks to Fed factory surveys and consumer confidence polls.

Anything that suggests cracks in the earnings and macro foundation would go down poorly on Wall Street. That’s what was happening Thursday...
The market would not be half as volatile if Trump weren't such an impulsive idiot who makes policy based on feelings rather than facts.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:47 pm Looks like the Trump Dump is set to take off in 2019! Only the greatest, yugest recession!
For the first time during Donald Trump’s presidency, both economic statistics and sentiment indicators are missing analysts’ expectations. So-called hard data includes government and private-sector data on consumer spending, jobs, manufacturing and housing, while the soft stats looks to Fed factory surveys and consumer confidence polls.

Anything that suggests cracks in the earnings and macro foundation would go down poorly on Wall Street. That’s what was happening Thursday...
The market would not be half as volatile if Trump weren't such an impulsive idiot who makes policy based on feelings rather than facts.
Yeah, considering how much I myself have stated that Presidents don't really affect the economy as much as people seem to believe (Carter said this as well), no one considered that such a chaotic, volatile, threat-Tweeting douchebag would be in the WH. Of course the economy is not Wall Street, but repeated blows to the market due to wild-card, crazy shit like unnecessary trade wars, and ill-considered comments, can definitely affect the larger economy if it tilts us into a recession.

We are certainly overdue for a bear market, so this is likely it. Or maybe we teeter for a while before going full bear. Not trying to defend him, just saying we would have gotten here one way or another, but he certainly has helped push us into that cycle more quickly than if he wasn't...Trump.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

All of these increases from the fed and still no increases for savings and it looks like CD rates have been steadily dropping. The best 2 year non callable CD through Ameritrade is currently 2.7 about where it was when I started buying CDs in July right before the market's serious violent swinging descent began. In November/December the highest rate were up to 3.1 and both Fed and Prime rate climbed in December.

Anyohow, that's where my money has been and is continuing to go, so that's what is interesting to me right now.

(Oy, to my securities/401k etc... More than a year's pretax salary in value has gone away in the last six months. It hurts my parts and I don't think we're at the bottom. I may have misjudged how bad this was going to get back in July when I decided Trade Wars and artificial injections of cash were to show some serious hurt across the board and started putting all my "new" money in CDs)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anyone else betting that Trump will take Fannie and Freddie out of conservatorship? Their prices have more than doubled in the last 30 days.

What about GE as a longterm hold? I'm betting it will turn around within 5 years.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Marijuana stocks?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:22 pm Anyone else betting that Trump will take Fannie and Freddie out of conservatorship? Their prices have more than doubled in the last 30 days.
Not me.

Moliere wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:22 pm What about GE as a longterm hold? I'm betting it will turn around within 5 years.
Yes.
Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 pm Marijuana stocks?
Staying the heck away from them. Not that they're all bad, just not my thing. Closest I'd get is STZ. They own a bunch of Canopy Growth IIRC.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My 401k (which is largely broad indexes and some tech and non US ETFs) is up to where it was last July (which means it's still down my contributions since then as well as my companies annual 3% match and "discretionary profit sharing"). Gotta admit, that's better than where I thought it'd be right now.

CD rates, again where all my "new" savings is still going, continue to drop. I'm not sure how long I will keep putting my money in to CDs. Percentagewise, which is how investors seem to look at it, my worth in CDs are now quite high. Yet, their safety is still where my comfort lies, even though tying up money for two years at a pop for around 2.6% doesn't feel all that great either. My goal for a two year ladder is complete but I'm thinking I'm still going to stuff money into CDs for December of this year and then next for Roth IRA contribution prep.

It may be time to go back and try learn bonds again and then learn about the companies for which I can get better rates. Bonds scare me a bit in these tumultuous times. My fear is probably unfounded but I won't have a better handle on that until I become better educated.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One of the things which apparently did well in the last downturrn was something which an advisor was pushing me towards - REIT's. I still don't know enough to invest in them wisely (which is why I didn't then).

What I'd really like is a crash course on shorting, though that definitely changes me from what I consider an Investor, to a gambler. I've always figured my best play is to actually invest in companies long term about which I think I have a good idea of the sector and how it will respond to market shocks, and just let the investment ride, usually on a DRIP, if available. I do tend to think that it's easier to pick companies which will tank than those which will succeed, but it's actually gambling, IMHO.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:46 pm One of the things which apparently did well in the last downturrn was something which an advisor was pushing me towards - REIT's. I still don't know enough to invest in them wisely (which is why I didn't then).
I love REITS. They are (generally speaking, and I'm ignoring mortgage REITS) commercial real estate trusts. You can make good (not great.. they aren't ever going to be high growth) money by watching their historical yield and buying when the yield is high and selling when it's low with the caveats that if the yield gets too high it's unsustainable and you'll either see a dividend cut or a crash.

DO NOT BUY PRIVATE REITS. Most of them are a scam and is often why your advisor was pushing them. They get a big commission. Only do the publicly traded ones.

I have made good money over the years on ROIC, SPG, and KIM. I lost a lot on EOP and I don't even know if they are still around.

It's also better to have them in a tax deferred (or ROTH) account as their dividends are high due to their special nature. They must pay out 90% of their profit as a dividend in return for not paying corporate income tax. Not to get political, but that's how all corps ought to function.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Levi Strauss IPO
Levi Strauss plans to hit the public market for the first time in 34 years, a promising sign for a troubled retail sector.

The 165-year-old company, which invented the blue jean, filed for an IPO on Wednesday. Levi's said it could raise up to $100 million in the public offering, and will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "LEVI."

The announcement shook up the retail industry Wednesday as investors scrambled to prepare for Levi's re-appearance on the public market. Shares of American Eagle (AEO), Gap (GPS), and Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) all dropped on the news.
Levi's outlined its growth strategy in a securities filing Tuesday. It believes it has a path forward by moving beyond jeans. It wants to sell more shirts, shoes, cold weather gear, and women's clothes. It also hopes to grab a bigger piece of international markets, including China, India, and Brazil.

Levi's makes close to half its sales in Europe and Asia. It believes it has a huge growth opportunity in China, which accounts for 20% of the global apparel market — but only 3% of Levi's revenue.

Levi's thinks it can expand in the United States too, despite a weak market for jeans. Sales of jeans fell 11% since 2013 to $16.7 billion, according to Euromonitor International. American consumers are increasingly turning toward khakis and athletic pants.

But Levi's, with its old-school 501 jean, has avoided the downturn. Levi's sales grew to $5.6 billion in 2018, a 14% increase from the year prior. The company is profitable: It made $285 million last year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not a good week for the Kraft name:
Kraft Heinz had one of the worst days imaginable Thursday.

The company wrote down the value of its Kraft and Oscar Mayer brands by $15 billion, posted a $12.6 billion loss, cut its dividend by 36% and announced its accounting practices are under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Kraft Heinz (KHC) stock plunged as much as 20% in after-hours trading.

Customers weren't the problem: Sales were up about 1% in the fourth quarter. Instead, Kraft Heinz CEO Bernardo Hees blamed the company's operations. Higher-than-expected manufacturing and logistics costs plagued Kraft Heinz. The company anticipated savings from its 2015 merger would continue to help lower costs, but those efficiencies dried up.
Kraft Heinz also revealed that regulators are looking into matters "including, but not limited to, agreements, side agreements, and changes or modifications to its agreements with its vendors." The SEC sent a subpoena related to the matter in October 2018.
The maker of Velveeta cheese and Jell-O pudding also slashed its dividend by 22.5 cents to 40 cents a share — a 36% cut.

Kraft said cutting the dividend will help the company cut debt faster, improve the balance sheet, support its commercial investments and help the company divest businesses that aren't supporting the bottom line.
Spoiler:
And yes, I am aware that the owner of the Patriots is not associated with the food conglomerate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The market must smell that my CD ladder is just about set. I was beginning to plan for where I will start directing my savings once I'm comfortable with the state of my ladder (and it's dropping interest rates), and I see "the market" has been on an uptick since January. I may end up waiting until post May 22nd to start putting down more money, even if I have the money before then. Or again, maybe it's past due time to learn about investing in bonds, intending to hold them to maturity as a medium term plan to place money over short term CDs.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

There goes Amazon again!
Amazon's profit machine shows little sign of slowing down.
The company said Thursday that it made a record $3.6 billion in profit for the first three months of 2019, more than doubling from $1.6 billion in the year prior. This marks the sixth straight quarter in which Amazon's profits have topped $1 billion and the fourth consecutive quarter of record profits.
Shares of Amazon (AMZN) initially rose 3% in after-hours trading Thursday following the earnings report, before giving up some of the gains.
For years, Amazon was known for bleeding money as it invested heavily in its businesses and rapidly increased revenue. Now it has entered a new era with comparatively sluggish sales growth, but a consistently profitable business.
3% seems to have fallen a bit since announcements.

More info on the breakdown:
The e-commerce giant recorded $59.7 billion in sales for the first quarter of 2019 on Thursday, which is inline with analyst estimates. That fell into the higher range of the guidance the company provided in January, which was net sales of $56 billion to $60 billion.

It also hit a record quarterly profit of $3.6 billion. Amazon Web Services (AWS) business, which has been steadily contributing to profitability, secured $7.7 billion in sales during the first quarter, representing a growth of 41.4% year-over-year. Advertising business, which is reported under other revenue, grew 36% this quarter.

Not all of its businesses are expanding at full speed. Product sales only went up by 8.5% this quarter, while the growth it had one year ago was 33.2%.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm waiting for them to buy Walgreens.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If F would go up $1 a day once a week. I could retire today. And was just thinking about buying more at $9.40 but talked myself in the more sane staying with the plan and staying away from individual securities. And then I had to talk myself out of buying them again when Zax posted they were forming a partnership with Rivian. The second guesses bright side, is that had I bought more F, I would have done so in conjunction with opening up the ability to sell options and I'd have bought the stock in lots of 100 and instantly optioned them, so I'd have likely been out already only make a fraction of the $1 that 11+% gain today. :roll:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I bought some more for my dad on Tuesday but couldn't justify it for myself. I have too much Ford as it is.

Thought about calls but trying to be less gambly these days. Call would have been nice.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

For LM:
Banks are paying up for your money—finally

Competitive pressures in a strong economy push CD rates to close to 3 percent in some cases, giving risk-averse savers a reason to hunt for deals for the first time in years.

Commercial banks throughout the area are offering interest rates on CDs of nearly 3 percent in some cases for relatively short time periods. BMO Harris, the market's second-largest bank by deposits, is paying 2.55 percent on an 15-month CD with a minimum deposit of $5,000.

You can get 2.4 percent locking up your money for just 10 months at Chicago-based First Midwest Bank. Many of Rosemont-based Wintrust Financial's banks are offering 2.5 percent.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Diversified Members Credit Union:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thanks for looking out for me. :D I've been just buying my CDs through TD Ameritrade. They may not be the best rates but from my perspective it's a single source. And come tax time something like 50 different CDs interest reports will go in to my returns like magic. I think my last purchase was 24 months at 2.45 effective rate something a tiny bit higher and that was just last week. I think rates peaked at 3.1 in Octoberish and have been declining ever since. The end of this month will be the first time in just shy of a year I will have money to put somewhere other than in CDs.

/checks his own credit union...

They're weird. 13 month is 2.77 24 months is .5 . I'm not looking to play that sort of game, just have a ladder. I'm happy with what TD Ameritrade does for me even if the rates are meh.

If my end of the month pay came last week, I could have deposited it and might have picked up some index ETFs this week. Ah well, I'n fairly certain there more where this last week came from.

Edit: Currently I see 24 months as high as 2.465 so that's the first uptick after like six months in a row of down ticks.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

3% is also a pretty crappy rate, though slightly better than recent, IMHO.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

AAPL has had a wild ride of it over the China tariff war - their stock hit $211.75 a share on May 3. It sits at $183.09 before markets open this morning.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tesla's under $200. I'm tempted. Of course I have to move money in to an investment account to buy it and that money won't show up until after Labor day but I'm tempted.

But I read
Creditors are now demanding an astonishing 9% a year interest to compensate for the risks of lending to the company till 2025.
And you damned well know they still aren't making money even if they are doing what needs to be done.

But I'm tempted.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri May 24, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The boat on this was a short at $380+.

Below $200 it sure looks cheap but there is a lot of risk.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm thinking, eh, get five shares and let it sit. But I have dropped $500 and $1,000 a few times since 2014 on "eh, get a couple share and let it sit" and I have made a bad play on every occasion and those bad plays stare me in the face every day. If nothing else, not selling them is a reminder that I'm not the smartest guy in the room whenever I'm not alone.

And still I'm tempted.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 pm I'm thinking, eh, get five shares and let it sit. But I have dropped $500 and $1,000 a few times since 2014 on "eh, get a couple share and let it sit" and I have made a bad play on every occasion and those bad plays stare me in the face every day. If nothing else, not selling them is a reminder that I'm not the smartest guy in the room whenever I'm not alone.

And still I'm tempted.
How many Tesla's would they have to sell per year to be worth $200 share? If you can't answer that, you shouldn't buy it.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The question I can't answer, which is why I shouldn't invest in Tesla is "What does Tesla have to do to move from innovator to profitable?" As far as I can tell, they're selling loss liter. The more they build, the more they warrant their labor but I don't see the "exponential growth" road map to making money. But yet they are in a class by themselves when it comes being what we need to become.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:16 pm The question I can't answer, which is why I shouldn't invest in Tesla is "What does Tesla have to do to move from innovator to profitable?" As far as I can tell, they're selling loss liter. The more they build, the more they warrant their labor but I don't see the "exponential growth" road map to making money. But yet they are in a class by themselves when it comes being what we need to become.
So is Kiva, but that doesn't make them worth $34 billion dollars.

Note they don't just have to become profitable, they have to be wildly profitable.

Amazon is just now making $20 per share (which would justify a $350 stock price). Think how long that ramp up was. And that's with someone focused like Bezos. And Amazon consistently exceed expectations. Tesla consistently misses them.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Musk doesn't want to make electric cars. He wants to make money to fund space stuff. He has maintained that since he sold Zip2 (or maybe even before he sold it). He's a serial entrepreneur with a clear end goal and Tesla ain't it. So don't count on him.

Tesla may yet thrive but it will have to be on the strength of sales of their products and not on the tenacity of Musk.

I'm not going to touch TSLA though. If it does well, great. It's another fat pitch that I let go by. No called stikes, only swinging ones.

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:22 pm Musk doesn't want to make electric cars. He wants to make money to fund space stuff. He has maintained that since he sold Zip2 (or maybe even before he sold it). He's a serial entrepreneur with a clear end goal and Tesla ain't it. So don't count on him.

Tesla may yet thrive but it will have to be on the strength of sales of their products and not on the tenacity of Musk.

I'm not going to touch TSLA though. If it does well, great. It's another fat pitch that I let go by. No called stikes, only swinging ones.
He's also so arrogant that he won't let someone take over. He'd be well served to stay on in whatever title he wants, but turn over CEO to someone else.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lord help me. I just request option trading to be added to my account. I think my CDs are set but I just can't deal with volatile hot cold of the securities even after a year of exclusively putting money in CDs. Not sure if I will get approved. My application said there would be a credit check even though I said I don't want to option trade on margin and I froze my credit during the fiasco when Equifax said I might they might have let my credit be compromised (translated to me as they did... Still annoyed...)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was just approved for trading options and today I have that 2007 feeling that I didn't listen to then. That come next week we put our foot on the accelerator running to the wall, the 10-15% dip we've already experienced this past month is going to start circling. We're talking something like 600 billion annually in trade on razor thin margins whose loss will only increase crime at the border. 11 days to destroy 20 years of forward progress. Or will President psycho seemingly come to his senses? And will it matter if he does?

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico
Mexico was the United States' 2nd largest goods export market in 2018.

U.S. goods exports to Mexico in 2018 were $265.0 billion, up 8.9% ($21.7 billion) from 2017 and up 75.2% from 2008. U.S. exports to Mexico are up 537% from 1993 (pre-NAFTA). U.S. exports to Mexico account for 15.9% of overall U.S. exports in 2018.

The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: machinery ($46 billion), electrical machinery ($43 billion), mineral fuels ($34 billion), vehicles ($22 billion), and plastics ($18 billion).

U.S. total exports of agricultural products to Mexico totaled $20 billion in 2018, our 2nd largest agricultural export market. Leading domestic export categories include: corn ($3.1 billion), soybeans ($1.7 billion), dairy products ($1.4 billion), pork & pork products ($1.3 billion), and beef & beef products ($1.1 billion).

U.S. exports of services to Mexico were an estimated $34.1 billion in 2018, 3.8% ($1.2 billion) more than 2017, and 30.1% greater than 2008 levels. It was up roughly 228% from 1993 (pre-NAFTA). Leading services exports from the U.S. to Mexico were in the travel, transport, and intellectual property (computer software, industrial processes) sectors.

Imports

Mexico was the United States' 2nd largest supplier of goods imports in 2018.

U.S. goods imports from Mexico totaled $346.5 billion in 2018, up 10.3% ($32.3 billion) from 2017, and up 60.5% from 2008. U.S. imports from Mexico are up 768% from 1993 (pre-NAFTA). U.S. imports from Mexico account for 13.6% of overall U.S. imports in 2018.

The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: vehicles ($93 billion), electrical machinery ($64 billion), machinery ($63 billion), mineral fuels ($16 billion), and optical and medical instruments ($15 billion).

U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Mexico totaled $26 billion in 2018, our largest supplier of agricultural imports. Leading categories include: fresh vegetables ($5.9 billion), other fresh fruit ($5.8 billion), wine and beer ($3.6 billion), snack foods ($2.2 billion), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1.7 billion).

U.S. imports of services from Mexico were an estimated $25.3 billion in 2018, 0.6% ($164 million) less than 2017, but 59.3% greater than 2008 levels. It was up roughly 241% from 1993 (pre-NAFTA). Leading services imports from Mexico to the U.S. were in the travel, transport, and technical and other services sectors.

Trade Balance

The U.S. goods trade deficit with Mexico was $81.5 billion in 2018, a 14.9% increase ($10.6 billion) over 2017.

The United States has a services trade surplus of an estimated $8.8 billion with Mexico in 2018, up 19.1% from 2017.

Investment

U.S. foreign direct investment (FDI) in Mexico (stock) was $109.7 billion in 2017, a 8.9% increase from 2016. U.S. direct investment in Mexico is led by manufacturing, nonbank holding companies, and finance and insurance.

Mexico's FDI in the United States (stock) was $18.0 billion in 2017, up 4.7% from 2016. Mexico's direct investment in the U.S. is led by manufacturing, wholesale trade, and real estate.

Sales of services in Mexico by majority U.S.-owned affiliates were $40.9 billion in 2016 (latest data available), while sales of services in the United States by majority Mexico-owned firms were $9.1 billion.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:45 pm The best way to make time fly is to by LEAPs. It's amazing how fast a year or two will go by while you're waiting for share price appreciation. :grund:

The important thing is to lay your goals out ahead of time. Do you want to own shares at expiration or just take the profits? What if your calls double in 6 months?
Yeah so this scenario -- I bought $13 JAN2021 AMD LEAPs months ago back when the stock was flirting with 52 week lows. In my mind I had a price target of $30 which would double my money

Stock just broke 52 week highs and I'm up over 150%+ -- tempted to sell some of the calls now, wait for the price to drop and buy back in again. On the other hand I have plenty of time and it might be more efficient to hold. I've thought about buying some puts to lock in profits for a period of time, but the cost of doing that seems to be prohibitive really.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone know if this is a concern, or if it's a paranoia site (maybe both)?:
Dark Pools are referred to as “unlit” markets because the public can see very little about what is going on. In a speech delivered by Brett Redfearn, SEC Director of the Division of Trading and Markets on June 3 of last year, he said that dark pools “in aggregate,” are responsible for “14 percent of listed equity volume.” That figure does not include over-the-counter stocks. According to a report in the Wall Street Journal using data from the Tabb Group, “the share of U.S. stock trades executed on dark pools and other off-exchange trading venues rose to 38.6 percent in April, the highest level in more than a year,” which was “up from 34.7 percent in December.”

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Investopedia
Dark pools came about primarily to facilitate block trading by institutional investors who did not wish to impact the markets with their large orders and obtain adverse prices for their trades.

Dark pools were cast in an unfavorable light in Michael Lewis’ bestseller Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt, but the reality is that they do serve a purpose. However, their lack of transparency makes them vulnerable to potential conflicts of interest by their owners and predatory trading practices by some high-frequency traders.

Dark pools are not a recent phenomenon; they emerged in the late 1980s. According to the CFA Institute, non-exchange trading has taken off in the United States. Estimates show that it accounted for approximately 40% of all U.S. stock trades in spring 2017 compared with an estimated 16% in 2010. The CFA also estimates that dark pools are responsible for 15% of U.S. volume as of 2014.
The lack of transparency actually works in the institutional investor’s favor since it may result in a better-realized price than if the sale was executed on an exchange. Note that, as dark pool participants do not disclose their trading intention to the exchange before execution, there is no order book visible to the public. Trade execution details are only released to the consolidated tape after a delay.
As of May 2017, there were more than 40 dark pools registered with the SEC, of which there are three types:
  • Broker-dealer-owned: These dark pools are set up by large broker-dealers for their clients and may also include their own proprietary traders. These dark pools derive their own prices from order flow, so there is an element of price discovery. Examples of such dark pools include Credit Suisse’s CrossFinder, Goldman Sachs’ Sigma X, Citi’s Citi Match and Citi Cross, and Morgan Stanley’s MS Pool.
  • Agency broker or exchange-owned: These are dark pools that act as agents, not as principals. As prices are derived from exchanges – such as the midpoint of the National Best Bid and Offer (NBBO), there is no price discovery. Examples of agency broker dark pools include Instinet, Liquidnet and ITG Posit, while exchange-owned dark pools include those offered by BATS Trading and NYSE Euronext.
  • Electronic market makers: These are dark pools offered by independent operators like Getco and Knight, who operate as principals for their own account. Like the broker-dealer-owned dark pools, their transaction prices are not calculated from the NBBO, so there is price discovery.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I spend all this time and effort building out a plan to renew 2 year CDs. And not two months after I am pretty happy my ladder is set, interest on two year CDs is lower than inflation and pretty much the same rate as 3 month CDs. <grumble grumble grumble>

(and yes, I could probably play games to search for CDs across the Internet every month to get higher rates, but the paperwork nightmare to pick up a 1/2% or even a full percent at the levels of money I am putting in CDs is just not worth the effort.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I just use a savings account that doesn't suck. 2.1% currently. Leaves some points on the table but is much more flexible and convenient.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Goldman Sachs' online savings account is at 2.25% currently.

No minimum, $1M max per account/$3M max per customer.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm Goldman Sachs' online savings account is at 2.25% currently.

No minimum, $1M max per account/$3M max per customer.
Heh, After reading Zax post I was back and looking and I was just studying that and trying to figure out what influences their rates. I managed to find you can only make 6 fee free withdraws a month which is fine for my purposes but I couldn't find how they arrive at a rate that could change before my ACH cleared.

The link I got in through has a bit different details

https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/os ... g&schl=agn
Annual Percentage Yield (APY) as of June 26, 2019. APY may change at any time before or after account is opened. Maximum balance limits apply. A maximum of six (6) withdrawals or transfers per monthly statement period are allowed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I use Discover Bank. Similar withdrawal limit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Withdrawal count limits on savings shares are government-required.