DinoGenics board game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: DinoGenics board game

Post by hentzau »

Hey Lordnine! Played the game at OctoCon to great success! One of the players was lamenting that he didn’t hear about it, I told him there was another Kickstarter coming, but since we’re practically family members here thought I would ask if you have any spare copies laying around for friends of friends.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:12 pm Officially announced today!

Enlarge Image
Fantastic!
Montag

Post by Montag »

Will you have an option for getting the original game as well?
words
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yes.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

What is the pledge tier for getting a copy bound in Blackhawk's chest hair and autographed with hepcat's tears?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm What is the pledge tier for getting a copy bound in Blackhawk's chest hair and autographed with hepcat's tears?
35 cents.

Cash.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No refunds, which is where hepcat's tears come from.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

In Raptor Escalation (the 1st scenario), the special rules state "Your park receives visitors at the beginning of each Open Season up to half (round up) of your max
hotel capacity." Does this mean no bonus visitors? I've been playing it with no bonus visitors but I'd like to be sure.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Correct. Almost all of the solo scenarios break the rules of the game in one way or another.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Second Printing and Expansion up on KS now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And funded already!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

In for the upgrade.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm What is the pledge tier for getting a copy bound in Blackhawk's chest hair and autographed with hepcat's tears?
I've reported you to HR. Unfortunately, they're backlogged thanks to JeffV. But sometime in 2038, you are in for a severe talking to!
Covfefe!
Zarathud

DinoGenics board game

Post by Zarathud »

Just meet hepcat at GenCon to play board games. Tears come free, or at most the cost of a Margarita l.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

In for the expansion! And of course, the upgrade. 8-)
-mf
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I’m hoping for some clarification- does the expansion include the 1st edition update, or do I need to add $10 to include that with the expansion?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The upgrade kit is extra but you can wait to do anything with this until the pledge manager opens up.

The new new rulebook is pretty hefty, quite expensive to offer as a separate item, and doesn't fit in the Controlled Chaos box, which is why its a full separate item. Some people have flipped out about this fact which is making me a little sad since I offered it in the first place as a nice gesture. I'm certainly not making any money from the upgrade kit. :(
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It's a fantastic gesture, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade kit! Don't let some internet grumps who don't understand the cost of goods make you sad.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

More backers than the first. Congrats!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks. It's exciting but also very overwhelming. I haven't really had a break in 4 days.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I'm already super happy that your KS doesn't end on the 30th or 31st or something.
Those kickstarters really annoy me.

Backed for the base game + expansion!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 am Thanks. It's exciting but also very overwhelming. I haven't really had a break in 4 days.
Aside from this game, are you working on other games as well?
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep. My next game has been in development for a while although it’s still pretty early on. It started public testing about two months ago. It will probably be a year or so before it is ready to go though. Definitely taking my time on it since it doesn’t have the theme recognition that a dinosaur park game does. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, but it will have the name recognition that the dinosaur park game gave you!

Speaking of which, I'm in. I hate spending the money just before GenCon (as it actually represents a good chunk of the money I put aside for the con), but I don't want to miss the opportunity, either.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm Yep. My next game has been in development for a while although it’s still pretty early on. It started public testing about two months ago. It will probably be a year or so before it is ready to go though. Definitely taking my time on it since it doesn’t have the theme recognition that a dinosaur park game does. :)
If you're going to build on Dinogenics' brand recognition, you'll need to come up with a similar name. Like Rhinogenics, about breeding a race of rhinoceros super-mutants.

Or Wino-genics, about cultivating the perfect box of Franzia.

Or O'Brien-o-genics, about the descendants of Star Trek's Miles O'Brien.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 pm
Lordnine wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm Yep. My next game has been in development for a while although it’s still pretty early on. It started public testing about two months ago. It will probably be a year or so before it is ready to go though. Definitely taking my time on it since it doesn’t have the theme recognition that a dinosaur park game does. :)

Or Wino-genics, about cultivating the perfect box of Franzia.
I went somewhere completely different with that name....
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm already in. And I reiterate: This game is severely lacking in prehistoric octopods!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Congrats on another successful Kickstarter, Lordnine!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks! I am super thrilled with how this campaign went.

Also, are the prehistoric Ammonites not octopod enough like? :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey LordNine...question about the Black Market card. It states you may draw 3 new DNA cards for the market before you buy. Does this mean we can continue to replace cards, or only draw cards until you fill up the market? We played it as the former, but wanted to get the official word on it.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You can add up to three cards, thus pushing any cards currently on the market into the bone yard. Also, don't forget that the discount stacks with the 3rd space on the market!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 am You can add up to three cards, thus pushing any cards currently on the market into the bone yard. Also, don't forget that the discount stacks with the 3rd space on the market!
Right, exactly why I played it to grab a cheap ankylosaur.

I'm going to assume the intention is to manipulate the market and then buy, not "push a dinosaur to the -2 slot, buy, push another to the -2 slot, buy..."
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Correct. All cards have to be added in one go before any purchases are made. This can however be useful if there is say a bronto in the #1 slot you want, only add two cards to push it to the #3 spot.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I have to say I'm super sad that the deluxe box didn't make it in as a purchasable option. I totally get the economic realities, but I hate carrying around multiple boxes when I go somewhere to game and making sure all the right pieces go into the right box at the end.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hopefully we can get what Hostage Negotiator did: have the final expansion come, by default, in a box designed to hold the whole shebang (actually, HN did that with the next-to-last expansion, but same idea.)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The large box was shockingly expensive to manufacture and the number of people interested, while not an insignificant number, was still only about half what would have been required to produce them and not lose money on it. DinoGenics is sold far below standard manufacturing markup practices which means I have to be very careful about items produced.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Lordnine wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm The large box was shockingly expensive to manufacture and the number of people interested, while not an insignificant number, was still only about half what would have been required to produce them and not lose money on it. DinoGenics is sold far below standard manufacturing markup practices which means I have to be very careful about items produced.
Oh, I totally get it - I just (selfishly) wish more people had expressed interest because *I* want it!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was never going to get this played, so I put my copy on the BGG.CON virtual flea market and it sold for asking price in 8 minutes. Apparently I wasn't asking enough ($40 for the record).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 am I was never going to get this played, so I put my copy on the BGG.CON virtual flea market and it sold for asking price in 8 minutes. Apparently I wasn't asking enough ($40 for the record).
I mean, it regularly sells for about $100 on the 2nd hand market so you gave it away. :lol:

The pre-order store is up and running now by the way. Pre-order DinoGenics and Controlled Chaos.