Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbt1949

Re: Minecraft

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, there went that game. China IS NOT on the bottom of the world. Endless sky, eternity and death are. I didn't think the world was that shallow.
I'm going for a regular world next time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With digging instincts like that, you should be playing Dwarf Fortress.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm Well, there went that game. China IS NOT on the bottom of the world. Endless sky, eternity and death are. I didn't think the world was that shallow.
I'm going for a regular world next time.
This is a function of the creative world. The normal worlds are really, really deep and have a hard bottom.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The MP server is going well - though it does lag if 3 or more people are on and somebody is travelling in previously unmapped territory. I blame it on world gen. We have space if anybody else would like to join. Its heavily modded, so it would be best to have some experience with that.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

MP server projects update: I got my Storage Drawers sorting system up last night. It was kind of driven forward by me setting up a automated mob farm and having a lot of drops. I have been deleting/voiding most of them since it was filling up inventory at my mob farm. On the good side, I filled a couple of Iron Drums up with liquid essence/XP that I can use for my mob generator (specific mobs vs random).

My other issue was that a crate filled on the junk output for my refining and it stopped working. When I found out, all of the fuel reserve (I'm using tree oil) in the drum was already burned off by my generators and they were within a few hours of shutting back down once their piping and internal tanks were emptied. I noticed right before I started a big processing job that would have drained them in minutes. Man, it would have been a pain to jump start it again. As it was, I had to turn off everything I wasn't using (like the mob farm) and just let it build a reserve. I doubled the size of the tree oil (resin) farm to make sure it is ahead of the idle rate used by the generators (they have a lot more waste/leak losses when idling since I've upgraded them a couple of levels). I hope the reserve will be refilled to maximum capacity by tonight.

I already have fairly good automated ore processing using upgraded pulverizers and powered furnaces. But I really need to setup a matter-energy storage system using either Refined Storage or Applied Energistics (both mods are on the server) before I even think about automated mining. Plus, I need to use it to connect the storage drawers in so I can craft without constantly running down to my basement for supplies.

If anybody needs either plastic or steel - I have setup production of both and would be happy to pass some on. I also have pink slime and pink slime ingots.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

MP server progress update (for Wednesday night):

OK - so no base-building progress last night, I just re-arranged my storage drawers a bit. I did have some fun with system testing.

When I logged on, my fuel reserves had caught up and topped back off. I currently use a simple fuel loop that pulls resin from spruce trees and refines it into tree oil with rosin as a byproduct. (1 step process). I burn the tree oil in compression dynamos and use a bit of the generated power to run the fractioning still (refinery) that makes the tree oil. Its renewable and low maintenance loop once you set it up and jump start it using some other power source. I originally piped the byproduct rosin back into a combustion dynamo as a backup power for the refinery. I had originally started the system using charcoal in the combustion dynamo. I have since cleaned up the over-complicated setup and put the combustion dynamo into storage. I now just dump the rosin into a trashcan so it doesn't back up the system. If I have to jump start it again, I will use a fully charged energy cell I have in storage.

I decided to run some tests on the power/processing systems and the fuel refining. FWIW- the MP server is a persistent online world and has limited (max 75/user) chunk loading, so it can keep cranking out some stuff on auto when players are offline. 8 chunks of my base area are set to chunk load. That's how the fuel refining caught back up while I was offline.

First, I did some more branch mining. When I got back, I dumped the accumulation from that run, along with all the ores I didn't process on Tuesday, into my auto-processing machine string. It blew through pulverizing and smelting 40+ stacks of ores in just a few minutes! The fuel use noticeably spiked when my 8 generators (compression dynamos burning tree oil) were each cranking out ~200 RF/t instead of the idle 40. The processing string has 4 pulverizers and 4 furnaces and pulls about 1600 RF/t when its going full bore, which is only 50% of my current power generation capability. I built it a bit over-spec since I always need more power! At their current upgrade level, the 8 compression dynamos each crank out a max of 400 RF/t. It seems to be going well enough to keep up with processing for a quarry or laser of some sort. Unfortunately, the remaining 1600 RF/t of available power is way too little to actually run a quarry in parallel with processing. Plus, I need some of that surplus for M/E storage (coming soon), other machines, and maybe a teleporter (also coming soon). Heck, the max 3200 RF/t is maybe 2/3 of what I would need to run a fairly basic quarry and it would likely draw even more if I set it up with a bunch of speed upgrades, or things like silk touch or fortune. At most I could run a quarry in short bursts powered by RF stored in cells/capacitors. Hmm - that might be fun to at least play with. I do have a few good energy cells..

I'll probably be building out some more power generation this weekend. I don't really need it for the toys or materials I would use for base-building or exploring. But I do enjoy the tech stuff on its own merits. Plus I like playing with reactors and such. In fact, I've been building up stores of specific supplies toward that eventual goal and I think I'm close to what I'd need to build out a decent reactor. With a nuke reactor, I could refine the collected yellowrite and uranium ores from a quarry or mining laser directly into fuel ingots using my existing ore processing string. I could scale the on-demand power gen to 50K+ RF/t and run basic stable pocket dimensions when I felt like it. That's VERY tempting..

I'm more likely to go that route than to expand on my current use of Compression Dynamos burning tree oil. I could switch over to a better fuel source like refined fuel. Then I could specialize the dynamos and get much better fuel efficiency too. If I ran a mining laser or quarry, I'd probably get enough coal to setup a 4-step chain that would produce surplus refined fuel. It would go: Coal => pulverized coal => liquifacted coal => naphtha (sp?) => refined fuel. That would be fairly complicated. But complicated can be challenging and fun.

I'll probably end up building out both a reactor and a refined fuel processing loop. If I run a quarry or laser, I will get materials that will allow me to fuel both. So I might as well use them. I would keep the existing dynamos and tree-oil refining setup to run the base and have reserve power in case I left the quarry/laser off for any extended time. I will eventually get bored with it or run into storage limits after all.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

And here I am happy that I made my first hammer. :lol:

If I have one complaint it is that the mod makes the game take too long to startup. For me, MC always had its most appeal as a game I could boot into and play for 10 minutes while waiting for something else. The problem is the large number of mods means it takes a solid 3-4 minutes for me to load up. If there is a way around this that I am just missing please let me know!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I agree - its a slog. I don't know of any way to speed it up by much. This is a lot of mods. I could probably eliminate at least 1/3 of them, or just pick a smaller pack next time.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Last night's progress - Conquered the Minoshroom boss that dwells in the subterranean mazes in the swamps of the Twilight Forest. FWIW - the stupid maze maps don't seem to work. Then I located a stronghold, activated the End portal and conquered the End Dragon. I strongly suggest placing a bed and setting your spawn right outside the portal before you go through it. I completely forgot.. The Ender Dragon killed me 3 times.

Since there is only one End Dragon, I will reset the End dimension this weekend after I travel back and get the dragon egg. I forgot the trick to collect that thing.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Progress update: Killed the Fire Swamp Hydra. Died 3 times doing it. Traveled to the Nether and retrieved the Ender Dragon egg. Also flew 1000 blocks from the land mass where the dragon spawns and found some of the outlying islands. I harvested Chorus flowers and fruit and made my way back. Nothing to see there.

Dabbled with VERY basic Botania stuff. I made the magic-ish fertilizer stuff and grew a bunch of Mystical Flowers. And then converted them to petals and put them into Storage drawers. I also made the most basic petal apothecary and then stopped after I failed to successfully pipe water into it. I'll have to figure that out.

Dabbled in very basic Thaumcraft. I made the Thaumonomicon (sp?) and the Thaumonometer (sp?) ans scanned some stuff. I have not even made the first wand yet. Basically I got into this because I have a few hundred of the primary vis crystals in stock.

I donm't know if I'll get much into Thaumcraft or Botania. But I thought it might be worth it to at least get started and see if either hooks my interest.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

FYI, the Binnie mods don't seem to work. Trowels don't do anything and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the pigments despite them showing up in the interface.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Anyone still playing? I finally got my Washing Machine running. Mixing water and electricity, what could go wrong?

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good gosh, I put in so many hours on Minecraft when it was first available. I just can't see myself digging through it again :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm still playing.

I've been working on my storage and auto-crafting system today. I mostly have it working, though it doesn't seem to work very well in crafting sub-components. Maybe I need to teach it more recipes. For now, I am trying my hand at running a quarry in the mining dimension. I tried the Deep Dark - but it was a bit too much of a pain while I was just trying to test it out. For now its running on energy cells.

Pro Tip: you can enchant Satchels and Energy cells with a holding enchantment that increases capacity. Cool.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I completed the Knight and the Quest Ram bosses in Twilight Forest last night. I also upgraded most of my Thermal Expansion mod's machines and cells to the final (Enderium) tier. Then I dropped by L9's place to check out his new machines and the construction progress. That Dwarven Fortress is beautiful!

I've got the auto-crafting working pretty good now, and it has no problem with sub components so long as they are crafted in a workbench. I would have to do a lot of work to setup process automation for stuff that uses my machines (like a pulverizer, alloy smelter or furnace). I also can't make stuff that takes filled buckets of fluid right now. I used the auto-crafting to make the Enderium upgrades and a few more storage drives for my Refined Storage system.

Next up is more power (reactor), high-power distribution/cabling, and probably some tweaks to my auto-sorting to channel ores straight into the processing string.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I ran around with Dan and Nic (Unicorn and Derpy) last night and did the first 3 Twilight Forest Bosses with them. Two of us died in the Minotaur maze and had to retrieve our graves.

On the home front, I struggled through the lower tiers of EnderIO so I could finally build the advanced SAG Mill and Advanced Alloy Smelter. Then I knocked out the Slice-n-Splice and Soul Binders. With those in place, I was able to smelt up a couple of stacks of each mod-specific alloy and build the components of my precious Dimensional Transceivers (x4) and also various EnderIO conduits for fluids, power, items and even redstone signals. I absolutely needed the transceivers and energy conduits to move the power from a reactor. They will be a boon for running quarries in other dimensions since I can route power, liquids and items through them and between dimensions. I can now run a quarry in the Deep Dark using power generated at my base, and then routing all of the ores back into the storage and processing in the Overworld. Now I just need more power! I'm ready to build out a reactor today.

FWIW - The EnderIO conduits are just as big of a deal for me. They will help a lot with cabling and organization since they are all multi-part compatible and I can route multiple types of them through the same block spaces. They also support priorities and color-coded channels. I love this feature because it allows me to route items and fluids to multiple destination through one pipe. It also allows me to insert items into a machine on one channel and pull them out on another using one connection. I can have a high-priority connection emptying ores into my processing string and a lower priority one that will dump them into storage for overflow. Yay! More projects..
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I successfully built and tested the reactor last night. I built a OpenComputers PC and downloaded a program to run reactors, turbines and grid power. I've never used that mode before. I've always used some sort of redstone signals for charge level and just tweaked the reactor to the most efficient control rod settings by hand. And then the reactor simply switched on at 10% storage buffer and switched back off at 90%. If I had something making a huge power drain, it would just eventually catch up once the drain was over. The program actually moves the control rods to the most efficient setting for the amount of power required. Its cool. It took some fiddling to figure out which settings I want to use. I'm looking forward to building a couple of turbines and some great power storage and to seeing how it all works. It is fun to tinker around with the mod.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Last night, I built a Wither cage out of Reinforced Obsidian and managed to kill it a couple of times for Nether Stars. Then I got overly ambitious. I used the stars to make a wither builder and reassembled the wither cage inside of my mob farm where I could use existing power runs and the existing mob crusher to help kill the Withers..

..I fiddled with the wither builder for a half hour before I realized that it would never complete the assembly (wouldn't place the 3 skulls) unless I unclaimed the chunks. So I did that. Next thing I knew, it had rapidly spawned about a dozen of the buggers. They were inside the cage, but the explosions they caused did some pretty good damage to my mob farm. One of the bonuses of claiming chunks on the server is that it prevents explosion damage from Creepers. Apparently that includes all explosion damage. Once I had unclaimed the chunks, they were no longer protected. And that's how I found out that my wither cage design was somewhat flawed. :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Funny. I didn't know that about the explosions. I had a creeper blow up in my base that did almost no damage, makes sense now. I thought I just got lucky.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Woot - I finally built out 4 turbines and a Draconic Power Core. It looks amazing. It took a few days to assemble the parts. Currently, the turbines are in kick-off mode and are slowly spinning up. The control program works pretty cool. I'm so excited!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

A few base pics:

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

And its pretty at night too -

McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I haven't really been checking in with Minecraft the past few years, but I wanted to ask you guys if they've added any gameplay to the base game? Or have they just added block types and stuff. I was hoping they would have added a ton of AI or towns people or something. Stardew Valley has had a heavy impact on this household!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It’s still nothing like Stardew Valley. Noting that, they are adding a ton of stuff for survival for the next Java version which is still in testing. You can check the Minecraft wiki for the details.
Black Lives Matter
meera1313

Post by meera1313 »

I too faced the same issue recently. I was using a Minecraft account. But we need a Mojang account for it. After a long search, I found this method in
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam link removed
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I'm considering playing some Minecraft to check out the new goodies. I've never played it modded. Are there any must-haves, keeping in mind that I want to play Minecraft, and not a completely different game (IE - I'm not looking for total conversions, hordes of new mobs, or crafting overhauls that add hundreds of new materials and requires a 50-page manual to make a plank.)
Klif

Post by Klif »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:27 pm So, I'm considering playing some Minecraft to check out the new goodies. I've never played it modded. Are there any must-haves, keeping in mind that I want to play Minecraft, and not a completely different game (IE - I'm not looking for total conversions, hordes of new mobs, or crafting overhauls that add hundreds of new materials and requires a 50-page manual to make a plank.)
i did something like that last time i played. i used the curse/twitch launcher and made my own mod pack that had:

JEI (Just Enough Items)
JourneyMap
Iron Chests
Inventory Tweaks
WAWLA

I also briefly played with the Quark modpack
Quark is a mod for Minecraft. It aims to create an experience akin to the "vanilla" experience, by having a very simple motto: anything that would be added to Quark could also be added to the default game without compromising its gameplay style.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Those look great. I'll check them out, maybe get a map mod of some sort.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Journeymap is THE map mod
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klif wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 am Journeymap is THE map mod
Can I install Joureymap playing 1.14 yet?
Black Lives Matter
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lorini wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am
<LINK REMOVED>

looks like it? but i'm not sure.
Last edited by Klif on Mon May 27, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Klif wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:27 pm So, I'm considering playing some Minecraft to check out the new goodies. I've never played it modded. Are there any must-haves, keeping in mind that I want to play Minecraft, and not a completely different game (IE - I'm not looking for total conversions, hordes of new mobs, or crafting overhauls that add hundreds of new materials and requires a 50-page manual to make a plank.)
i did something like that last time i played. i used the curse/twitch launcher and made my own mod pack that had:

JEI (Just Enough Items)
JourneyMap
Iron Chests
Inventory Tweaks
WAWLA

I also briefly played with the Quark modpack
Quark is a mod for Minecraft. It aims to create an experience akin to the "vanilla" experience, by having a very simple motto: anything that would be added to Quark could also be added to the default game without compromising its gameplay style.
Unfortunately, it looks like every one of those is at least two years and five versions out of date.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In fact, every mod I see out there is for 1.12. That's 2017. I wanted to check out the new content, but it looks like you can't run mods with any recent builds.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 pm In fact, every mod I see out there is for 1.12. That's 2017. I wanted to check out the new content, but it looks like you can't run mods with any recent builds.
sorry, i missed that part. you're right, the mod scene lags behind a few versions.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 pm In fact, every mod I see out there is for 1.12. That's 2017. I wanted to check out the new content, but it looks like you can't run mods with any recent builds.
What kind of mods would you want? And yes the fact that many/most of the game changing mods are stuck on a version is exactly why I don’t run them. Journeymap is in fact NOT 1.14 compatible, but it’s a quality of life mod, it doesn’t change the game.
Last edited by Lorini on Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klif wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am
Lorini wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am
https://minecraftmod.org/journeymap-mod/

looks like it? but i'm not sure.
Yeah that's a bad link that leads to virused software according to Windows 10. Forge and therefore journeymap are still on 1.13.
Black Lives Matter
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lorini wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am Yeah that's a bad link that leads to virused software according to Windows 10. Forge and therefore journeymap are still on 1.13.
big oof. I removed the link. thanks.

did some more looking, found the official website and discord.
1.12.2 is the latest minecraft version that journeymap works on
It's unlikely there will be any stable release for 1.13, we'll see what 1.14 brings
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep. My impression is that rather than updating regularly, the Minecraft modding community picks a version and just mods for that for a few years, then picks a new version. You pretty much have to choose between playing the current stuff or using mods. That's fine, I understand that hassle that comes from having to update mods every six months, but the new content is the reason I'm looking to play again.
Lorini wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:23 am

What kind of mods would you want? And yes the fact that many/most of the game changing mods are stuck on a version is exactly why I don’t run them. Journeymap is in fact NOT 1.14 compatible, but it’s a quality of life mod, it doesn’t change the game.
Here was my original request:
So, I'm considering playing some Minecraft to check out the new goodies. I've never played it modded. Are there any must-haves, keeping in mind that I want to play Minecraft, and not a completely different game (IE - I'm not looking for total conversions, hordes of new mobs, or crafting overhauls that add hundreds of new materials and requires a 50-page manual to make a plank.)
Klif

Post by Klif »

My vote? Go unmodded! If you want to check out v14, just go without mods. I suggest starting a normal world, but with cheat mode on. That way if you later decideyou want to be in creative, or change it to night time, or whatever, then you can