Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Kraken »

Oh good, I didn't think it had a chance at another season -- too unconventional. Haven't watched this week's episode yet.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm Oh good, I didn't think it had a chance at another season -- too unconventional. Haven't watched this week's episode yet.
I just saw it and it’s the best episode of the season in my opinion. And love all the episodes so far. Glad it was renewed!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm Anybody else watching "What We Do In the Shadows"? This week's episode was hilarious.
This show has been a real treat, but last night's episode was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to pull off all those guest stars, but really quite hilarious. :D
Holy shit, you weren’t kidding. That was brilliant!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:
Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm Anybody else watching "What We Do In the Shadows"? This week's episode was hilarious.
This show has been a real treat, but last night's episode was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to pull off all those guest stars, but really quite hilarious. :D
I loved the call out to the other "vampires" that couldn't be there. Like "Tom", "Brad" and "Kiefer".

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

But where was Nick?

And I keep waiting for a Stu appearance.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
I loved the call out to the other "vampires" that couldn't be there. Like "Tom", "Brad" and "Kiefer".
From Slate, here's the key to the guest stars.
Spoiler:
• Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive)
• Danny Trejo (From Dusk Till Dawn)
• Paul Reubens (the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie)
• Evan Rachel Wood (True Blood)
• Wesley Snipes (the Blade movies), via Skype
• Clement, Waititi, and Jonny Brugh (the What We Do in the Shadows movie)

The last three reprise their characters from the film, while Swinton, Reubens, and Wood, who seem to be playing themselves, are styled like the characters they played in their respective projects. (I guess the implication is that these world-famous undead thespians played their real-life selves in certain projects to … fuck with people?)

The council members also note the absent members who couldn’t make it to the meeting: “Kiefer” (Sutherland, of The Lost Boys), “Tom and Brad” (Cruise and Pitt, of Interview With the Vampire), and “Rob” (Pattinson, of you know). And, in perhaps the sweetest touch, the episode also guest-stars Kristen Schaal as an officious intermediary between the tribunal and the accused trio—a nod to Clement’s beloved Flight of the Conchords. (These aren’t even all the cameos in the episode: Waititi’s Marvel co-star Dave Bautista, aka Drax, also makes a brief appearance.)
It was brilliant because the episode was still LOL funny even if you missed all the pop culture callouts -- as I did; I recognized half of the cameos but didn't catch their connection.

I predict more great episodes ahead.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The only one I couldn’t figure out was “Rob”. Probably because I’ve never seen (or had any interest) in those movies.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
Now that I'm finally caught up, that vampire council was brilliant. As was
Spoiler:
Guillermo becoming an accidental vampire slayer

Also, the aftermath of the Baron trying pizza the episode prior made me cry from laughing so hard.
Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Watched The Girl In The Spider's Web with Claire Foy. Oofta. Between not being to see her as anything but the queen (my problem) and the utterly boring acting she gives and the movie being paint by numbers and the continuity stuff (doesn't usually bother me) and finally the story itself (motivation etc), that was just a waste of two hours.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Toe

Post by Toe »

We watched the first episode of Our Planet on netflix over the weekend. Absolutely stunning. It will be my new go-to for showing off 4k material. The cinematography is just so insane in some (most) segments. That, combined with David Attenborough's narration and some majestic music, it just really comes together. Really some of the highest quality material I have ever seen. I have seen a lot of nature programs over the years, and yet still saw some stuff in the first episode that I did not know about. Highly recommend for any nature lovers and/or anyone with 4k TV and netflix option.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Watching the first episode of the Hot Zone on National Geographic. Having worked in a lab for a number of years there are some small things which are bugging me. Hope Smoove is watching and we can compare notes.
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I have it recorded. I did read the book (it was probably one of the first I can remember reading in college after settling into my ultimate major) and being absolutely horrified. I'm quite excited to see what NatGeo does with it.

I think I'm avoiding Chernobyl for similar reasons. I know things (the horrors of these events) and I'm not sure I'm prepared to watch what I know converted to a TV drama.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Cocky pathologist guy running all the bacterial tests...to screen for a virus. (my mistake I think since he thinks samples had bacterial contamination) Looking a imnunohistochemical fluorescent slides on a regular microscope in a lit room. At least they're using the pipettes right. But reality is boring and hard to film. Can't say anything about their BSL4 protocol since I never had the pleasure to be working in that environment, just BSL2-3.

I did like the book when it came out though. And I'm comfortable with equal parts nitpicking and enjoying the show if all the big things are portrayed well.

LOL I can't wait till you see the ummm car trunk scene, Smoove. I'm both horrified and laughing. Wonder if that happened...
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did you see NPR's fact check of the show? As I suspected (I'll be watching tonight)
Geisbert says he's sure the series "may be entertaining for the general public, but it is quite flawed in terms of any historical accuracy and there are numerous scientific flaws."
Blisters? Really?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Did you see NPR's fact check of the show? As I suspected (I'll be watching tonight)
Geisbert says he's sure the series "may be entertaining for the general public, but it is quite flawed in terms of any historical accuracy and there are numerous scientific flaws."
Blisters? Really?
I did! And the pustules were rather dramatic and of course inaccurate in the opening scene. But the impending sense of doom was pretty well done in the opener with all the bodily fluids.
Black lives matter!

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Smoove_B wrote::D

I have it recorded. I did read the book (it was probably one of the first I can remember reading in college after settling into my ultimate major) and being absolutely horrified. I'm quite excited to see what NatGeo does with it.

I think I'm avoiding Chernobyl for similar reasons. I know things (the horrors of these events) and I'm not sure I'm prepared to watch what I know converted to a TV drama.
Missing out on Chernobyl, seriously deep and good. Check the thread and check the Slava Malamud thread.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I'm going to watch it. I'm not looking forward to it though. :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.

"The longer your food is stored above 40 F is more time in the danger zone, dammit! Are you prepared to see the horrors I've seen? The vomiting! Cramping! Anal discharge! Your fancy Michelin star won't save you then!"

Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think my week in jail would make the best TV drama. I had to interview a NJ-famous murderer regarding the food she ate. I'm sure a screenwriter could punch it up to Hannibal Lecter / Clarice levels of drama.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Saucing of the Lambchops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She was quite nice. I had no idea who she was until after talking about everything with my boss.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.
Heh. I've watched the first episode new and it's a little cheesy, but enjoyable. For hardcore disease fans, I was happy to see another Preston character make an appearance in the opening episode - the freezer. Which freezer? The one in BSL-4 that holds the Demon. :wink:

Also, it really bothered me that Dr. Jaax was portrayed as someone that would cook stuffing inside a Thanksgiving turkey. Of all the things I'm supposed to believe, that seemed like the biggest stretch.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rittchard wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm Deadly Class - possibly the most fun/fresh new show I've seen in a while. This one's on SyFy. It's kind of a mix (based on a comic) between a high school melodrama, Harry Potter, and Scott Pilgrim. Basically a street rat kid gets recruited into a school training kids to become assassins. So you've got all the high school factions but intensified by them all being lethal killers (or wannabes). All of the main characters are interesting and compelling in different ways and it looks like they are slowly introducing larger story arcs as the show progresses.
Cancelled. I'm a bit surprised.
Syfy has opted to cancel “Deadly Class” and “Happy!”, Variety has learned.

The former, an adaptation of Rick Remender’s comic book series, starred Lana Condor, Benjamin Wadsworth and Benedict Wong. Produced by the Russo brothers, the series revolved around an orphan who becomes a student assassin at King’s Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts.

Co-production partner Sony Pictures Television will now be shopping the show in an attempt to find it a new home. The show ran for one season.

“Even if ‘Deadly Class’ talks a tough talk about being different and darker than those other high school shows, watching it walk the walk often proves more frustrating than fascinating,” wrote Variety TV critic Caroline Framke in January.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am Also, it really bothered me that Dr. Jaax was portrayed as someone that would cook stuffing inside a Thanksgiving turkey.
This info has potentially changed my life more than anything else on OO in the last decade.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:dance:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Women's Health
In an interview with NPR, Thomas Geisbert—then, an intern at USAMRIID and now a professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Texas—said that Dr. Jaax didn't actually identify the Ebola virus. Instead, he says he and Peter Jahrling (played by Topher Grace on the show) did.

"Medically speaking Nancy is a veterinary pathologist not a virologist or microbiologist," he said. "The whole sequence of events where she is trying to culture the virus is a joke. Pathologists don't do that—virologists do."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am As I watch the melodramatic Hot Zone I'm picturing Smoove in his inspecting days talking like Ser Davos (the actor is in the Hot Zone) about the dangers of improper food storage temperatures in the most horrifying terms possible.
He really is entertaining and that anyone would think of me as cut from the same cloth is flattering. :D

I'm almost done with the show. It's definitely entertaining. So far the other moments that stood out were when Dr. Jaax went into the train station to look for Dr. Eric Foreman and as she was standing around, she started noticing all the potential transmissions and fomites. That's pretty much how I see things all the time when I'm out in public, so I appreciated that.

The other part that made me laugh was when Carter was in the second monkey storage area wearing his Level A gear and the two guys just walked in to ask who he was and what he was doing. Health Tip: If you're ever somewhere that someone is wearing Level A protective gear and you're standing around in a T-shirt and jeans? You're in big trouble.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
He really is entertaining and that anyone would think of me as cut from the same cloth is flattering. :D

I'm almost done with the show. It's definitely entertaining. So far the other moments that stood out were when Dr. Jaax went into the train station to look for Dr. Eric Foreman and as she was standing around, she started noticing all the potential transmissions and fomites. That's pretty much how I see things all the time when I'm out in public, so I appreciated that.

The other part that made me laugh was when Carter was in the second monkey storage area wearing his Level A gear and the two guys just walked in to ask who he was and what he was doing. Health Tip: If you're ever somewhere that someone is wearing Level A protective gear and you're standing around in a T-shirt and jeans? You're in big trouble.
I stopped watching for a bit but I found the bloody trunk of monkey corpses hysterical.
Black lives matter!

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

6 episodes into Das Boot, the new tv series. Really recommend it if you like your WWII shows. I suspect I'll finish the 8 episodes by tonight or tomorrow.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
What Season? If Season 1, please hurry so I have someone to chat with about the current season lol.

Was just going to comment on Season 3. It hasn't been what I'd expected or hoped for (yet), but last night's episode I just found totally riveting and heartbreaking in the best, most Handmaidsy-frustrating way. Also the camera work just and direction just seemed a step above previous episodes, I found it really artistic in a way I hadn't noticed before. Really just fantastic all around.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am We are 6 episodes into The Handmaid's Tale. So disturbing, yet also riveting.
What Season? If Season 1, please hurry so I have someone to chat with about the current season lol.

Was just going to comment on Season 3. It hasn't been what I'd expected or hoped for (yet), but last night's episode I just found totally riveting and heartbreaking in the best, most Handmaidsy-frustrating way. Also the camera work just and direction just seemed a step above previous episodes, I found it really artistic in a way I hadn't noticed before. Really just fantastic all around.
Sorry can't help you on season 3 yet. I think we are on episode 7 or 8 of season 2 now. I'm still really enjoying it, but we watch 5-6 episodes a week so it will be a little bit before we are caught up (and S3 of Stranger Things drops next week so we might detour for that).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

For the last few weeks I've been watching West Wing. The show still holds up 15-20 years later.
The first 3 seasons are the best by far. The fourth is pretty good, the fifth is okay and then it starts going downhill somewhat.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.
I really enjoyed it and was bummed out when it got cancelled. It wasn't that it was really good sci-fi but I just enjoyed the cast a lot and I felt like the show had a fun energy to it. Reminded me a lot of Farscape.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm We're nearing the end of S1 of Dark Matter. It has its moments, but it doesn't rank up there with the best sf shows. Will finish it since it only lasted two seasons, but I can't recommend it.
I really enjoyed it and was bummed out when it got cancelled. It wasn't that it was really good sci-fi but I just enjoyed the cast a lot and I felt like the show had a fun energy to it. Reminded me a lot of Farscape.
It's solid enough adventure-type storytelling in a sf setting with all the expected space-opera tropes. Plot points are often obvious and the writing can be lazy. A few episodes ago they were about to run into a mysterious enemy on an abandoned space ship. "Oh no," I said to Wife, "please don't let it be space zombies." It was space zombies. Tonight there was an armed nuclear missile closing on their ship and the android calmly said "the ship will be vaporized in 15 seconds." "No it won't," I said. It wasn't. It has too many :rolleyes: moments like that. The black guy's a marginal actor and the samurai dude is a walking cliche.

But they've thrown a couple of curveballs that I didn't see coming, and I like the rest of the cast, so I'll stick with it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:14 pm
rittchard wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Sorry can't help you on season 3 yet. I think we are on episode 7 or 8 of season 2 now. I'm still really enjoying it, but we watch 5-6 episodes a week so it will be a little bit before we are caught up (and S3 of Stranger Things drops next week so we might detour for that).
I think we are just about caught up on Handmaid's Tale now. The next episode was labeled "New"... We are still both riveted (and disgusted). Just when you thought you had seen it all, you meet the handmaids of DC.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Top Guns: The Documentary

It doesn't get any more 80s than this production. A dose of F-4 and F-14 pilots talking about air-to-air combat. And a good dose of Duke Cunningham before he became a Congressman and a felon.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just learned that the mall in STRANGER THINGS season 3 is NE Atlanta's Gwinnett Place, where I wasted about 25% of my 80's adolescence.

Suddenly my life makes total sense.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am Am I the only person watching Lodge 49? I don't even know how to describe it, but it's been a completely enjoyable experience.
We've only watched two episodes so far but yeah, it looks like it's gonna be weird and good and weird.
Coming back 8/12!