TheTrumpWall go fund me now over $7.6 million in three days

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: TheTrumpWall go fund me now over $7.6 million in three days

Post by Isgrimnur »

I love that Kobach is involved, seeing as he's proven that he knows nothing about legal procedure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm Color me surprised that the Gofundme dipshits are either incompetent or sleazy.
Oh come on...they can be both.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Color me surprised that democrats want to obstruct people actually "doing" something. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What are you talking about? We're perfectly fine with them continuing to fleece your kind. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm Color me surprised that democrats want to obstruct people actually "doing" something. :wink:
Democrats invented zoning laws after all.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:24 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm Color me surprised that democrats want to obstruct people actually "doing" something. :wink:
You've got me there, zoning laws are definitely more of a republican "thing".
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

God forbid they require such horribly unreasonable things like "actually get construction permits" and "allow inspectors to check the wall and make sure it isn't going to fall down and kill someone". The latter of which I would assume to be a significantly likely outcome, given the previous level of diligence and care this group of chucklefucks has put into this particular project.

The audacity!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I was trying to find out more about the Mayor as that level of government isn't usually run by Democrats and Republicans (in my experience) - or at least it doesn't matter much in a town of 14k. Anyway, I found this very unbiased article from the Tennessee Star.

I particularly like the scare quotes around "independent" and leading off with the plan for an Amnesty Week. From the article, can you tell what the Amnesty was for? Or even guess?
Spoiler:
Warrants - anyone can go in an resolve outstanding warrants without fear of arrest.
Sunland Park Mayor Javier Perea – an “independent” who supported Senator Bernie Sanders in 2016 (pictured above) – held a press conference about the border wall Tuesday afternoon.

Perea said the city learned about construction of the wall and tried to access the site last Thursday but were denied entry. He said that the property owner applied for a permit Friday but the documents are incomplete. The construction violates city ordinances, and the matter has been given over to city court, he said.

The mayor also cited safety concerns, saying the wall could block emergency response efforts in that area.

The Sunland Park City Council has been vocally in favor of immigration, both legal and illegal, according to documents on the city government’s website.

The council held a special meeting Tuesday evening to discuss the budget as well as pass a resolution declaring June 3-7 as Amnesty Week.

The council also has advocated the city as the site for a possible port of entry operation. The council commissioned a study for the proposed Camino Real de Tierra Adentro International Port of Entry (POE). The study is available here.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There's a way around it, it just requires one tiny tick mark on the design plans.

Old: The wall shall be 18' high.
New: The wall shall be 18" high.

Zoning problem solved and they can probably afford to buy a few hundred more yards of the stupid thing!
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Exactly, Smoove!
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Here's the article:
Kris Kobach, general counsel for We Build the Wall, said in a statement that building, development and rock wall permits had been filed, and that city inspectors had given the project a green light before Memorial Day weekend.
"We were then instructed by the same city officials that we were good to proceed with construction over the holiday weekend and that we would not have any issues being shut down," Kobach said.
City manager: 'We don't selectively enforce the law'
Sunland Park City Manager Julia Brown told CNN the city's "cease and desist" order has nothing to do with politics.
"There is no political motivation on the part of the city, simply our interest in having our code and ordinances complied with," she said.
"This applicant is not being treated any differently from any other applicant in that all applicants are expected to comply with the law. We don't selectively enforce the law, do not show favoritism or ignore our own laws."
I'm pretty sure that's the same Kris Kobach who was on the verge of having his law license suspended and ordered to take remedial legal classes in Kansas.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They built enough to fool the rubes they fleeced, so they don’t really care.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://theintercept.com/2019/06/11/pri ... mBK-GBkoJ0
WE BUILD THE WALL, the crowdfunded, ultra-right group that put up a multimillion-dollar border wall just west of El Paso in southern New Mexico, has said that it only builds on private land. But earlier this month, the group extended its wall onto government land — without asking first for government permission.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apparently under criminal investigation now as well:
Last month, this reporter sent Florida’s Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs a public-records request for “copies of any notices, subpoenas, or any other records pertinent to the investigation of WeBuildTheWall Inc.” The agency oversees Florida charities.

“Your public records request was forwarded to the Office of General Counsel for handling,” the department’s senior attorney Rob F. Summers wrote late last week. “The records you requested are exempt from disclosure pursuant to s. 119.071(2)(c)1., F.S. (Active Criminal Investigation).”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You hate to see it.

Audrey Strauss, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Philip R. Bartlett, Inspector-in-Charge of the New York Field Office of the United States Postal Inspection Service (“USPIS”), announced the unsealing of an indictment charging BRIAN KOLFAGE, STEPHEN BANNON, ANDREW BADOLATO, and TIMOTHY SHEA for their roles in defrauding hundreds of thousands of donors in connection with an online crowdfunding campaign known as “We Build the Wall” that raised more than $25 million. The defendants were arrested this morning. KOLFAGE will be presented today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Hope T. Cannon in the Northern District of Florida. BANNON will be presented today in the Southern District of New York. BADOLATO will be presented today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas Wilson in the Middle District of Florida. SHEA will be presented today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Kristen L. Mix in the District of Colorado. The case is assigned to U.S. District Judge Analisa Torres in the Southern District of New York.

Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss said: “As alleged, the defendants defrauded hundreds of thousands of donors, capitalizing on their interest in funding a border wall to raise millions of dollars, under the false pretense that all of that money would be spent on construction. While repeatedly assuring donors that Brian Kolfage, the founder and public face of We Build the Wall, would not be paid a cent, the defendants secretly schemed to pass hundreds of thousands of dollars to Kolfage, which he used to fund his lavish lifestyle. We thank the USPIS for their partnership in investigating this case, and we remain dedicated to rooting out and prosecuting fraud wherever we find it.”
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Poor Steve Bannon. :violin:
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is that Stephen Bannon the Stephen Bannon? Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:53 am Is that Stephen Bannon the Stephen Bannon? Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Indeed. Only the best people.
Former White House adviser Steve Bannon was arrested Thursday on charges that he and three others ripped off donors to an online fundraising scheme “We Build The Wall.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is what happens when you don't cut in the boss. Amateurs.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Trump: "Steve Bannon? Barely knew the guy."
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently there may be a lot of interesting names associated with this case by the time it's all sorted out.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

One reporter just now challenged Trump in a presser. He rattled off ten names of people indicted...to paraphrase...what does this say about your judgement.

Response: Obama's administration was more lawless - they spied on my campaign.

Then he started rambling about how he knew this was showboating and it was going to be an inferior wall. LOL.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Curt Schilling is such a tool. I would not be upset to see him getting a nice slap on the wrist. So many crappy people have really popped up out of their holes the last 3-4 years. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Tao

Post by Tao »

This is pretty surreal but I can see how these six individuals would find common ground. I know this will probably go nowhere and I get people have different ideologies but these dudes seem like some pretty shitty human beings, based on things they have been quoted as saying in the past.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

That post ain't aging well
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Well... technically they were doing something. They were lying to their supporters and stealing their money.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if the feds waited until Bannon was on a boat before arresting him to make it look that much worse? Nothing says "guilty of unfettered greed" than being led off a boat in handcuffs.
He won. Period.
Enough

Post by Enough »

TheMix wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:29 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Well... technically they were doing something. They were lying to their supporters and stealing their money.
I think modern Republicanism is very similar to the grift of prosperity gospel evangelicalism and I think goes a long ways in explaining why that demographic was so comfortable voting for Trump. They already are totally comfy giving money to folks like Copeland that obviously exist to fleece the foolish, and heck with Republicanism you can preach the exact same gospel. Wanna get rich!? Well then duh, be a Republican. Wanna actually get rich? Well duh, be a con artist that sets up a network of websites preying on the first group of wannabe richies to buy your trinkets.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Brian

Post by Brian »

Enough wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 pmWanna actually get rich? Well duh, be a con artist that sets up a network of websites preying on the first group of wannabe richies to buy your trinkets.
In high school I had an economics teacher that was fond of saying, "You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Enough

Post by Enough »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:34 pm I wonder if the feds waited until Bannon was on a boat before arresting him to make it look that much worse? Nothing says "guilty of unfettered greed" than being led off a boat in handcuffs.
He's been on the sea for weeks working on deals with the Chinese apparently.
AH HERE WE GO: Neville Crichton, who owned that yacht Bannon was arrested on, got into bed with CHINA in the automobile industry way back in 2009.

Bingo.AH HERE WE GO: Neville Crichton, who owned that yacht Bannon was arrested on, got into bed with CHINA in the automobile industry way back in 2009.

Bingo.
“The Wall Street Journal reported this week that Bannon and exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui “have been spending significant time together on Mr. Guo’s yacht.” The two men have been linked to GTV Media Group, a private company under federal investigation.”

Edit for clarity: So Crichton apparently sold the boat to the exiled Chinese businessman Wengui. Wengui I am sure appreciated the high-level contacts at sea with Bannon for their nefarious dealings.

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/ ... 1379763202
Last edited by Enough on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if this was one of the reasons that Barr wanted Berman gone? Right now it doesn't look like anyone really close to Trump has been fingered, but that may change.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:34 pm I wonder if the feds waited until Bannon was on a boat before arresting him to make it look that much worse? Nothing says "guilty of unfettered greed" than being led off a boat in handcuffs.
Hartford Courant
Stephen K. Bannon, former top adviser to President Donald Trump, was arrested while on a yacht off Westbrook early Thursday, law enforcement sources said.

Bannon was arrested by inspectors from the U.S. Postal Service while cruising Long Island Sound near Westbrook in a $28 million mega yacht called Lady May.

The massive yacht remained off West Beach in Westbrook early Thursday. The New York Times reported that the yacht belongs to exiled Chinese billionaire Guo Wengui.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:19 pmThe New York Times reported that the yacht belongs to exiled Chinese billionaire Guo Wengui.
Enlarge Image

Mystery Surrounds Flamboyant, GOP-Linked Chinese Exile Billionaire:
Guo has been perched in a $68 million apartment on the 18th floor of a Manhattan hotel.

The Chinese billionaire claims it’s a place of self-imposed exile.

Guo fled China at some point in 2014 amid murky circumstances. President Xi Jingping was imprisoning numerous officials on corruption charges, and attention on a political sponsor of Guo’s reportedly moved him to leave the country.

In September 2017, Guo applied for political asylum in the U.S., alleging persecution by Beijing for his increasingly outspoken opposition to the Communist Party.

Guo formed a strategic relationship with none other than former Trump campaign chairman Steve Bannon in late 2017.

United by a professed disdain for the Chinese leadership, the two formed a New York nonprofit called the “Rule of Law Fund,” supposedly aimed at leveraging $100 million to help the Chinese people live “independent of the political system of the People’s Republic of China.”

Guo and Bannon have also begun to appear in bizarre, multi-hour YouTube videos together over the past several months.

Strategic Vision has accused Guo and Bannon of attempting to move “large amounts of funding” into the Center for Security Policy, a far-right D.C. think tank that pursues a hawkish line with China.

CSP is run by the notorious islamophobe Frank Gaffney, known for spreading conspiracy theories about the Muslim Brotherhood and Islam in general. Gaffney, for example, once convinced the NRA to investigate whether anti-tax radical Grover Norquist was secretly a Muslim Brotherhood mole.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:19 pm Bannon was arrested by inspectors from the U.S. Postal Service while cruising Long Island Sound near Westbrook in a $28 million mega yacht called Lady May.
That's going to cost them some sorting machines.
Enough

Post by Enough »

FFS people, I posted that stuff above the post just before... tap... tap...

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enough wrote:FFS people, I posted that stuff above the post just before... tap... tap...
Now, now there's enough graft, malfeasance, and thievery to go around for everyone!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enough wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:24 pm FFS people, I posted that stuff above the post just before... tap... tap...

BAM!
He won. Period.