Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

MonkeyFinger

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kurth wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am Staring down a couple months of intense travel for work and stocking up on good Switch content for the pkane. Just bought Out There, which looks pretty good and the demo played well.

What can people tell me about Moonlighter? What about This War of Mine?

Other suggestions?

I have Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Diablo. Loved Into the Breach. Wouldn’t mind something on the strategy/tactics side of things.
While not on the S&T side of things... GRIS. 8-)
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Def Gris if you like nice things.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:22 pm Def Gris if you like nice things.
+1. Brilliant and beautiful game
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hollow Knight seems like a no brainer, if it hasn't been mentioned. Maybe Kurth already has it.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

My thoughts:

Gris: Really beautiful game with nice (light) puzzle mechanics BUT I think it's wasted on the same Switch screen. I play it on my Switch but only docked (and connected to large 50in TV and with great headphones), so wouldn't be my recommendation for travels:

Hollow Knight: I'm really NOT a run-and-jump player but absolutely love that game ... until it became too difficult for me. I still like it but can't play it anymore, unfortunately. It is a really hard game with a wonderful musical score

For strategy, take a look ar WarGroove https://wargroove.com/ it's basically a Advanced War-type game that is really polished and nicely done and the developers have put a lot of work into it after the launch to continue to improve it.

Also for tactics, maybe Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/m ... le-switch/ which is an X-Com style tactical game. It looks strange but continues to get high praises from strategy fans (since it offers much more depth than it seems at first glance)

There is, of course, the whole Banner Saga series on Switch https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/b ... -1-switch/ which is a RPG/story-driven/tactical game with beautiful graphics.

I have Moonlighter but haven't played much. I find the difficulty level they suggest a bit too hard to enjoy it but I need to get back into it.

Other strategy/tactics games for the Switch:

Civilization VI (no further explanation necessary, I guess)

Tiny Metal (another Advance War-type game which did not impress me but I only spend an hour with it, so far)

Darkest Dungeon (you probably already know this rogue-like from other platforms)

Valkyria Chronicles (also known from other platforms, I played the first one on PS3 & PS4 and it's nice but, for me, a bit too puzzle-like at later stages and a bit too JRPG)

Hard West seems to be another X-Com type game, this time in a Western/Fantasy setting (I don't know much about it)

Bad North got some good reviews, it's on my Wishlost
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just purchased Wargroove. Not generally a fan of the cartoonish style, but I’m willing to get beyond that for some turn-based goodness. I have five plus hours to kill at the airport in Sacramento tomorrow night, so I’ll take that time to give it a go.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dark souls is pretty sweet and is on sale. You can play it offline if you are on the go. The framerate is only 30 FPS, but it hasn't bothered me much. As I already beat the game like 5 times this is a nice little side diversion. I've only had the switch for a couple of weeks, but I'd say it's one of the better purchases I've made in a while. Zero buyers remorse. I have like 20+ games wish listed. It's nutty.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm Dark souls is pretty sweet and is on sale. You can play it offline if you are on the go. The framerate is only 30 FPS, but it hasn't bothered me much. As I already beat the game like 5 times this is a nice little side diversion. I've only had the switch for a couple of weeks, but I'd say it's one of the better purchases I've made in a while. Zero buyers remorse. I have like 20+ games wish listed. It's nutty.
I actually bought Dark Souls when it released on the Switch. Just too damn hard for me. I couldn’t make it out of the first area, gave up and traded it in to buy Diablo. I do feel like I’m missing out, though. Heard really good things about it.

In other news, loving War Groove. Very nicely done!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kurth wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm Dark souls is pretty sweet and is on sale. You can play it offline if you are on the go. The framerate is only 30 FPS, but it hasn't bothered me much. As I already beat the game like 5 times this is a nice little side diversion. I've only had the switch for a couple of weeks, but I'd say it's one of the better purchases I've made in a while. Zero buyers remorse. I have like 20+ games wish listed. It's nutty.
I actually bought Dark Souls when it released on the Switch. Just too damn hard for me. I couldn’t make it out of the first area, gave up and traded it in to buy Diablo. I do feel like I’m missing out, though. Heard really good things about it.

In other news, loving War Groove. Very nicely done!
It's really not that hard once you understand the mechanics of the world. That said if you aren't haven't fun then what's the point? I gave up on their newest game after an hour and refunded it because it didn't jive with me. :lol:

I'm eyeing Dragons Dogma, but geez I need to stop buying games. It is only 30 bucks though.. Hmmm :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Somebody bought us a copy of Smash for Christmas.

I haven't been able to play the Switch since. Ian never lets it out of his sight!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:21 am Somebody bought us a copy of Smash for Christmas.

I haven't been able to play the Switch since. Ian never lets it out of his sight!
My kids love Smash. I can’t figure out what the hell is going on!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am
Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:21 am Somebody bought us a copy of Smash for Christmas.

Then you're playing it correctly!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm in the same boat on Smash.

Side note: if you enjoy Tetris 99, you can now pay $10 for an offline DLC that adds CPU players as well as 150-line and 999-line marathon modes. I can beat the 150-line marathon fairly consistently, but have only gotten up to 558 on marathon. Partially because even that took > 30 minutes and maintaining Tetris-level focus for that long is... difficult... for these old bones.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am

When I play what's going on is me falling off the platform to my doom. Over and over.

My 13 year old loves it. I love it when her cousin comes over to play it with her so I don't have to.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Any thoughts on Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech?

Looks interesting!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's fun, but not groundbreaking. I will certainly spend more time with Slay the Spire when it hits. But this is a nice card-based diversion in the meantime.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We haven't touched our Switch in months, but my son (7) saw an advertisement for Super Smash Bros Ultimate and decided that was a game he needed to have.

I'd never played any of the series, and knew nothing about it other than it was a fighting game and people were kind of nuts over it. So I said sure, if you can save up the money you can buy it. I figured he'd lose interest in a day or two and didn't think any more about it.

Over the next few weeks he did chores, he saved money from Easter, he revealed a $15 Gamestop card he had been saving since Christmas (<---WTF?)

I was really proud of him. He saved up and paid for that game 100% through his own funds. And man, have we been having a BLAST with it. Not only was it a fantastic teaching experience about patience and money management, it also brought our Switch out of retirement and has provided some great bonding time. I don't typically enjoy fighting games, but I get the hype now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Couch co-op was always one of the better things about the old consoles. Unfortunately, they can't monetize that, so it's fallen by the wayside for the majority of development efforts these days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 pm Couch co-op was always one of the better things about the old consoles. Unfortunately, they can't monetize that, so it's fallen by the wayside for the majority of development efforts these days.
But I feel like the Switch is changing this trend. Nintendo is now getting games as because the Switch is so friendly to couch co-op.

I cannot wait for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 this summer!
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Kurth wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm In other news, loving War Groove. Very nicely done!
Glad you enjoy it - I need to get back to it, too. I really liked that the battles did not feel like puzzles where you have to find the one way to beat the enemy. Also the devs really listened to the feedback after release and mad a lot of good changes to the game
Last edited by ChuckB on Fri May 24, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kurth wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 pm Couch co-op was always one of the better things about the old consoles. Unfortunately, they can't monetize that, so it's fallen by the wayside for the majority of development efforts these days.
But I feel like the Switch is changing this trend. Nintendo is now getting games as because the Switch is so friendly to couch co-op.

I cannot wait for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 this summer!
It's 100% why I bought one. It's super easy to get my family together to do something fun that isn't watching a movie. Overcooked may lead to divorce though so we moderate our exposure to that game. :lol:

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Oh, BTW since I thought about this again today when I searched for my headphones to use with the Switch: the fact that Nintendo decided NOT to support wireless (bluetooth) headphones with their mobile gaming device is mindboggling stupid!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

ChuckB wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm Oh, BTW since I thought about this again today when I searched for my headphones to use with the Switch: the fact that Nintendo decided NOT to support wireless (bluetooth) headphones with their mobile gaming device is mindboggling stupid!
Yeah, I’m annoyed by that as well. There are dongle thingadoos you can buy to make it work, but last I checked they were a bit on the stupid expensive side.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

wonderpug wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:24 am
ChuckB wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 pm Oh, BTW since I thought about this again today when I searched for my headphones to use with the Switch: the fact that Nintendo decided NOT to support wireless (bluetooth) headphones with their mobile gaming device is mindboggling stupid!
Yeah, I’m annoyed by that as well. There are dongle thingadoos you can buy to make it work, but last I checked they were a bit on the stupid expensive side.
+1
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Monoprice, $35.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 am Monoprice, $35.
Purchased! Hope this thing works.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As do I. If it doesn’t, let me know.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Doesn't seem to have a USB-C passthrough, meaning you have to unplug it every time you need to charge the Switch - that kills it for me
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Amazon, $30.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Some good titles on sale in the Switch shop, including Gris and Moonlighter. I think I may pick up both of them.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I’m trying to visualize how this would translate well to the switch. I would think it would be super tiny. Certainly keep my eye out to see what the reviews are. I never beat Icewind. Maybe this time?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:16 pm
I’m trying to visualize how this would translate well to the switch. I would think it would be super tiny. Certainly keep my eye out to see what the reviews are. I never beat Icewind. Maybe this time?
They worked fine on iPad. I'm guessing the implementation would be similar.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:58 pm
Works great! Also, I love that it allows two players to connect via BT for couch co-op. Very cool.

Also, Moonlighter is my new favorite game. There's something about the gameplay loop here that is incredibly addictive for me. I can't put it down.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm very glad I was able to find something that works for you.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:58 pm
Works great! Also, I love that it allows two players to connect via BT for couch co-op. Very cool.

Also, Moonlighter is my new favorite game. There's something about the gameplay loop here that is incredibly addictive for me. I can't put it down.
Yeah, I had a blast with Moonlighter as well. Really good fit for playing on the Switch, too. A rare game that I actually was able to play through to the end.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

+1 on moonlighter. The grind loop is really relaxing.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Slay the Spire is out. Go. Buy.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:36 pm Slay the Spire is out. Go. Buy.
Picked this up on Switch today after hearing from everyone how great it is.

I generally like deckbuilders. I generally like roguelikes. Oddly, however, this game is doing nothing for me at all after my first couple runs. I think it’s the combination of an incredibly boring art style and such a small pool of points to purchase abilities. I’m hoping the latter becomes less of an issue the further things progress, but the art style and monster designs are just SO blah.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bummer. It gets deeper as you unlock the full deck set for each character. Also, I'd recommend turning on fast mode as soon as you have a full understanding of what's happening. Makes the waits much more bearable.