Brexit

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Brexit

Post by El Guapo »

Theresa May announces her resignation.

Good luck to the next person in charge of this shitshow.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The goal of getting all the perks of being part of the EU without paying any of the actual dues, and refusing to follow any of the rules of the EU they don't like, is a logical and smart one.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Since I can't tell if serious, and I think a case could be made that maximizing personal benefit *is* smart and logical, I'm going to respond as if serious.

The goal of getting rich might be smart and logical, but robbing banks and spending all the money on lottery tickets is a less smart or logical way to achieve it.

More importantly, relationships are two way. Expecting everything and giving nothing is a drumpfian perspective.
malchior

Post by malchior »

With the hardliners in control the chance of a no deal Brexit on 31-Oct is very high now. Boris Johnson is the leading contender for PM but the field is full of hardliners. The UK is in for a very rough go of things. Let's hope the extra time give them more leeway to prepare.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I guess it's appropriate that May should resign at the end of May. :ninja:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Nigel Farage claimed a stunning election victory last night as his Brexit Party topped the polls

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9160083/e ... ults-2019/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least UKIP came up empty.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

More proof that Trump is going to cruise to a second term.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The birth of a red headed child on a Thursday is proof that Trump will win in 2020 for some. Me, I'm going to wait until the U.K. goes into an economic and social tailspin after they bomb out of the EU without a plan, and the subsequent attempt by Trump to backpedal and tell his supporters he was always against Brexit, before making a decision.

Although you could just show the average Trump supporter a tape of Trump saying repeatedly that Brexit was a great idea, then show that same person a new tape with Trump claiming he never said that...and they'd still fall for it. Idiocy is Trump's lifeblood.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:18 pm The birth of a red headed child on a Thursday is proof that Trump will win in 2020 for some. Me, I'm going to wait until the U.K. goes into an economic and social tailspin after they bomb out of the EU without a plan, and the subsequent attempt by Trump to backpedal and tell his supporters he was always against Brexit, before making a decision.

Although you could just show the average Trump supporter a tape of Trump saying repeatedly that Brexit was a great idea, then show that same person a new tape with Trump claiming he never said that...and they'd still fall for it. Idiocy is Trump's lifeblood.
No no, a Brexit-based party did great in UK elections to the European Parliament which are for a delegation that is expected to not exist by the end of the year, therefore Trump will be easily reelected. IT'S SCIENCE.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm interested to hear why Rip Jr. thinks Brexit is a good idea.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:27 pm I'm interested to hear why Rip Jr. thinks Brexit is a good idea.
Trump is for it. What else does he need to know?
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:27 pm I'm interested to hear why Rip Jr. thinks Brexit is a good idea.
He doesn't think Brexit is a good idea, he's just really into Farage.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here's the argument:

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Neither, apparently, are the Scots, Irish, or Welsh.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Independent
Boris Johnson is to go on trial for allegedly “lying and misleading the British public” about the consequences of Brexit.

A judge summonsed the Conservative MP to appear in court after a member of the public launched a private prosecution over claims EU membership was costing the UK £350m a week.

District Judge Margot Coleman threw out arguments by Mr Johnson’s lawyers that the case was a “vexatious” attempt to undermine the result of the 2016 referendum.

A written judgment handed down on Wednesday said: “Having considered all the relevant factors, I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences [of misconduct in a public office].

“The charges are indictable only. This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the crown court for trial.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:24 pm Independent
Boris Johnson is to go on trial for allegedly “lying and misleading the British public” about the consequences of Brexit.

A judge summonsed the Conservative MP to appear in court after a member of the public launched a private prosecution over claims EU membership was costing the UK £350m a week.

District Judge Margot Coleman threw out arguments by Mr Johnson’s lawyers that the case was a “vexatious” attempt to undermine the result of the 2016 referendum.

A written judgment handed down on Wednesday said: “Having considered all the relevant factors, I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences [of misconduct in a public office].

“The charges are indictable only. This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the crown court for trial.”
Johnson deserves it, although the implications of allowing a private citizen to spark a proceeding allowing a judge to haul a politician into court for misleading the public are super troubling / ripe for abuse.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Only with regard to statements of fact, I would think. Maybe politicians would be a little less loose with the truth, maybe. I'm not a fan of the whole thing for reasons mentioned (abuse) but the idea is intriguing in this age of fake news. 10 years ago I would have been appalled at the idea. Now? I can't stand living in a world where heads of state deny the reality staring them in the face without consequence, political or otherwise.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:36 pm Only with regard to statements of fact, I would think. Maybe politicians would be a little less loose with the truth, maybe. I'm not a fan of the whole thing for reasons mentioned (abuse) but the idea is intriguing in this age of fake news. 10 years ago I would have been appalled at the idea. Now? I can't stand living in a world where heads of state deny the reality staring them in the face without consequence, political or otherwise.
Yeah, but just imagine the Rips of the world being able to go before a hard-right judge and get them to haul Obama and Clinton (or, say, the 2020 democratic nominee) into court for alleged misrepresentations of fact.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.
President Donald Trump inserted himself into the UK’s fraught politics ahead of his official state visit to the nation Sunday, suggesting the government should “walk away” from a Brexit deal with the European Union if British demands are not met.

“I would walk away,” Trump said in an interview with The Sunday Times. “If you don’t get the deal you want, if you don’t get a fair deal, then you walk away.”

Trump also criticized the sum the UK must pay the EU as part of its exit, roughly $50 billion.

“If I were them, I wouldn’t pay $50 billion,” the president said. “That is a tremendous number.”
Trump suggested the UK sue the EU to give the nation “ammunition” in its fight to leave, and also said the kingdom’s people would be wise to send Nigel Farage, leader of Brexit Party, to Brussels to renegotiate the separation deal.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah! He has exactly one play in his playbook, and that's all he knows. What he's describing is his entire real estate career.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When your only tool is bankruptcy all your problems look like obligations you should walk away from.

I never read the Art of the Deal, was it three sentences?

Get born rich. Owe a tremendous amount of money. Walk away.

The end.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Boris Johnson promises to go full-Trump if he becomes PM.
Boris Johnson, the favorite to succeed Theresa May as Britain’s prime minister, said on Sunday he would withhold payment of the country’s European Union exit bill to try and get a better deal - a move that drew an immediate rebuke from France.

Johnson is one of 11 lawmakers vying to run the world’s fifth largest economy after May resigned as leader of the governing Conservatives on Friday, having failed to unite parliament or the country behind her Brexit plan.

Britain is mired in its deepest political crisis in decades over how, when and whether it should leave the EU - a decision that will fall to May’s successor and affect both its future role on the world stage and prosperity for generations to come.

As the contest to replace May gathered pace on Sunday, Johnson made his first major intervention, targeting the large pro-Brexit wing of his Conservative Party with a promise to take a hard line with Brussels over the terms of Britain’s exit.

“I think our friends and partners need to understand that the money is going to be retained until such time as we have greater clarity about the way forward,” Johnson told the Sunday Times. “In getting a good deal, money is a great solvent and a great lubricant.”

A source close to French President Emmanuel Macron said failure to pay the 39 billion pound ($50 billion) Brexit bill would be equivalent to a sovereign debt default.

“Not honoring your payment obligations is a failure of international commitments equivalent to a sovereign debt default, whose consequences are well known,” the source told Reuters.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

In fairness, he's a giant buffoon who's main appeal is to like minded morons, with little to no diplomatic, political or leadership skills. So...perfect, I guess.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I do appreciate Britain's ongoing effort to console America by showing that we are not the only ones beholden to conservative nutjobs.
Black Lives Matter.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Just think; Boris, Trump, and Putin can be the backbone of a new alliance reminiscent of World War II. Leaders coming together to have the worlds focus turn on their machinations. If there was only a concise word or phrase to call them. Maybe, the "New Axis"?
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

UK economy shrinks by four times as much as predicted as Brexit paralysis takes hold

The UK economy shrank 0.4 per cent in April as Brexit paralysis took hold following the proposed deadline for departure from the EU.

The latest monthly fall was four times larger than analysts had forecast and marked the second consecutive month of contraction for the UK’s economy after a 0.1 per cent drop in March.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I figured China for the opening sneezes of the coming economic flu. I wonder if it will spread there or here first.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 am I do appreciate Britain's ongoing effort to console America by showing that we are not the only ones beholden to conservative nutjobs.
It does not console me. It only removes one location from my "wish I could flee to" list.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The latter application will prove quite useful with what the EU has planned for the UK.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hiccup wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:04 am Just think; Boris, Trump, and Putin can be the backbone of a new alliance reminiscent of World War II. Leaders coming together to have the worlds focus turn on their machinations. If there was only a concise word or phrase to call them. Maybe, the "New Axis"?
Alt-Axis seems apropos.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is the level of stupidity in the Conservative Party of the U.K. over BREXIT - a poll out yesterday found that
majorities of the party support BREXIT even if :

1). It destroys the UK with Scotland and N. Ireland leaving
2). It creates difficult economic conditions for the UK
3). It results in the destruction and end of the Conservative Party

Talk about a suicidal and nihilistic course of action. What are these idiots thinking?
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Make Britain great again?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You can either admit you made a mistake, or just commit suicide in order to avoid doing so. It's a post Trump world.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
On Tuesday, new Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) took their seats for the first time since a dramatic set of elections in May shook up the status quo.

As the new-look parliament stood for the iconic melody from Beethoven's ninth symphony, commonly known as Ode to Joy and the unofficial anthem of Europe, MEPs from the UK's Brexit Party turned their backs in protest.

Europhiles called the protest disrespectful. "What's disrespectful is to take the ancient nations states of Europe and, without asking anyone, turn them into a country," said Nigel Farage, the Brexit Party's leader.
As populists and anti-establishment parties dig their heels in over the next five years, things are not about to get any easier for the European institutions that embody everything so many on the continent despise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The front-runner to be the next British prime minister, Boris Johnson, is barnstorming across the countryside, campaigning on his Latin-quoting, rumple-suited, Oxford-educated, optimistic, populist Englishness.

But most of all, Johnson is running on Brexit. Yet again.
To secure support from the 160,000 voting members of the Conservative Party who will choose the next prime minister — and who are very miffed, by the way, after three years of dithering — Johnson has promised that “do or die” Britain will leave the European Union in October.
Johnson boasts that he will deliver, “come what may.”
Johnson has committed to a leap into the unknown with his vow to leave without a withdrawal deal if one has not been sorted by Oct. 31 — the latest deadline granted by the Europeans. A no-deal departure would achieve maximum sovereignty, but it could very well leave Britain poorer, at least in the short run, according to a stack of gloomy reports from economists and the government itself.
He said he will name only Tories who are “reconciled” to a no-deal exit to his cabinet, which could leave few chairs for moderates to help him govern — or pass his future Brexit deal, whatever that might be.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
MPs have backed a bid to stop a new prime minister suspending Parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit.

A majority of 41 approved an amendment that blocks suspension between 9 October and 18 December unless a Northern Ireland executive is formed.

Four cabinet ministers, including Philip Hammond, abstained and 17 Tory MPs rebelled, including minister Margot James, who has resigned.

Leadership contender Boris Johnson has not ruled out suspending Parliament.

His rival Jeremy Hunt has ruled out this move.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In a taste of what and whom the still hypothetical Boris Johnson premiership is likely to face, the new rebel alliance in Parliament has shown its strength
I had not idea Johnson was Palpatine. I had my money on Putin.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Boris is more Jar Jar than Palpatine.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:32 pm
In a taste of what and whom the still hypothetical Boris Johnson premiership is likely to face, the new rebel alliance in Parliament has shown its strength
I had not idea Johnson was Palpatine. I had my money on Putin.
Would have been Hillary if the tech giants hadn't thought they had it in the bag. :wink:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.