Building my first PC's! Advice requested. [Moving on to Gaming PC's.]

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Building my first PC's! Advice requested. [Moving on to Gaming PC's.]

Post by Holman »

Actually more than one!

My two boys have been playing on aging laptops for some time, and I've decided to make a project of learning to build desktop PCs with them. For one of the boys, this process (and its documentation) will be part of an application to a special-projects-based high school next year.

I've done a little research, and I have the basics of how it all works. I've found various guides online and I've been watching videos. Our goal is to produce a couple (heck, maybe three) gaming PCs that would have been pretty close to top-of-the-line a couple of years ago. In another words, we want good power but not necessarily the bleeding edge$$$.

I thought I'd ask here if there are any obvious pitfalls to avoid, by which I guess I mean toxic or unreliable brands of hardware. Also, if you know of any must-read/must-see guides to building a decent PC, please let me know.

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by Holman on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Re: Building my first PC! Advice requested.

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tom's Hardware

They keep a monthly tally on best deals at various performance points for components, especially processors and GPUs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JCC

Post by JCC »

It's really pretty easy to build PCs these days. Arguably the most "difficult" part is connecting the case wires to the motherboard, just because it's a little awkward to see/read the cables and connectors. Just be careful placing the CPU correctly, and it's hard to mess up anything else.

Other advice:
If you don't plan to overclock your CPU the stock fan is fine. If on a budget, splurge on the video card which has the biggest impact on performance. But plan your video card budget based on the resolution you plan to play at. (ie. 1080p vs 1440 vs 4k). Definitely get a SSD for at least the boot/OS drive. Also, spend a tiny bit more on the PSU and get 80+ Gold.

I second the suggestion of doing research on Tom's Hardware.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just ask away. Ill try to help. Im not myself and Ive not built a full PC in 7 years but I have built high end gaming PCs since 1995. My wife got me my first PC June 1994 and the next day I put a sound card in it. Then in 1995 I built a full PC...no guides back then. My friend did help though. From then on just me. Id build a full PC then over the next 3 or 4 years Id upgrade parts at a time then Id build a full PC and start over. Im still using the one I built in 2011 for the most part. Since then I replaced the video card thanks to an OOr because mine fried. Added 8 more gigs of ram. Installed 2 SSD drives at different times.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've swapped out a lot of video cards, added memory, and even changed a dead power supply, but I've never researched and built a full machine.

The weirdest part seems to be the application of thermal paste (which I haven't done yet).

I'm wondering if I'll manage to screw it all up by procuring the wrong case or something.

And then of course there's the installation of a fresh OS (which will be Win10). How automatic is that? Will I need to know a lot of stats and settings?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Normal PCs are ATX size so a case is all about style other than that.

I reinstalled Win 10 on my wife's laptop a year or bit more ago. I didn't need a cd even. It was all digital online. I may have used a flash drive to boot to do that .Cant recall. But was nice not having to fool wit ha cd .
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm And then of course there's the installation of a fresh OS (which will be Win10). How automatic is that? Will I need to know a lot of stats and settings?
As long as you have a 4GB+ USB flash drive handy, installing Windows 10 should be fairly effortless and almost completely automatic. Here's an excellent step-by-step guide from tenforums.com you can follow on How to Clean Install Windows 10. You'll likely want to follow the 'Installing Windows 10 with UEFI' instructions, unless you know for certain that the motherboard you're working with specifically does not support UEFI 2.0+.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

BTW, in terms of essential reading, here's a very useful beginner's guide for building a PC courtesy of /r/buildapc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

after all your preparation, you're going to be disappointed when you see how easy it actually is
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The only tough part about building a PC is pushing the power button for the first time. Other than that, it's about as complicated a putting together a Lego set.

For price + future proofing, make sure you read up on the Nvidia 2060s that just came out. They're recent enough that they're not in a lot of the guides yet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:53 am after all your preparation, you're going to be disappointed when you see how easy it actually is
+1.

Seating the CPU and getting good contact between the CPU fan, thermal paste and CPU is probably the one thing that stands out for me as requiring attention. That said, most stock fans come with thermal paste pre-applied, so all you have to do is get a nice solid contact, which itself is aided by the mounting bracket. Just need to make sure you apply pressure evenly.

Cable management is not something I'm good at or spend any time on, but it's the one thing I would improve if I had to choose something to do better. The insides of my PC's are often a mess. That limits air flow and can exacerbate heat problems, not to mention make them a pain to work in.

All good advice. AB has never steered me wrong before. I always look forward to his responses re: consumer hardware. Lots of knowledgeable people here though.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for the advice!

I'm certain I'll have more questions. Right now I'm still making a list of what to buy.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 pm The only tough part about building a PC is pushing the power button for the first time.
Been there and can agree with that, much like the time I totally rebuilt my 240Z's engine and went to start it again for the first time. :shock: :lol:
More fun is pushing the button and nothing happens. :think: And +1 on the cabling thoughts, that can be the biggest PITA.
-mf
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Any updates? I want to know how it went.

I like building computers, but right now i have no need for a new one, and no need to upgrade, so I must live vicariously.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 pm Any updates? I want to know how it went.

I like building computers, but right now i have no need for a new one, and no need to upgrade, so I must live vicariously.
I haven't started yet! :D

I've been reading up on it, but I've yet to order my first part.

I'll report in when I do.
Geezerone

Post by Geezerone »

A couple of bits of advice I have is:
  • install the CPU, heatsink, and the memory onto the motherboard BEFORE you install the motherboard into the case. This gives you lots of space to work rather than in the tight confines of the case.
  • pre-route the power supply cabling through out the case before you install the motherboard.
  • check and double check the location of the motherboard stand-offs to ensure that they are only positioned at the motherboard screw holes. This is especially important if you're installing a mATX motherboard into an ATX case.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

if your case is not a tower, then you will need to be careful about choosing the video card, because some of the big amazing awesome video cards don't fit into the smaller or compact cases.

a modular power supply is good if you only have a few things to put in, can save you from having extra power cables to tuck away

a pretty popular way to have your drives is a moderate sized SSD for the OS, and then a really big standard drive for the data

if possible buy 2 bigger sticks of ram instead of 4 smaller ones. that way, its easier to add more ram later
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have a Fractal Design R4 Silent Case.

out of all the cases I bought over the years, this is my favorite. its big, its modular and easy to get stuff in and out, and the acoustic padding is amazing, I have a big ass video card and a power supply that could make the lights dim, but I barely hear anything.

the only part I don't like is the door is not configurable, it only opens one way. but its rare that I put disks into the machine any more, so thats OK

here is the newer R5 version, with configurable door
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6811352048
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for the advice!

This is going to turn into a major project. I'm going to build computers for my MIL, both kids, and eventually myself.

I'll be doing the MIL's first, since it will be pretty barebones and use the cheapest parts. (MIL is not a gamer.) Seems look a good way to get practice.

Doing the kids' machines will involve them closely, and will be documented as part of an application project to a special-admit high school next fall.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Another thumbs up for the Fractal Design cases. My previous build used the R4, and it was such a joy to work with when building and so silent over the past several years, that I went with the updated R6 USB-C version for my recent build I completed a couple of weeks ago.
-something witty-
Holman

Post by Holman »

First build is a success!

This is my mother-in-law's machine, a replacement for the tired old Win XP Dell she's been using for more than a decade.

When I first hit the power switch, nothing happened. I then realized that I'd plugged the whole block of system panel connectors to the COM1 header by accident. Once I fixed that, everything was smooth. Windows 10 is now installed and updated with no errors.

MIL can't believe how fast and smooth it is.

(And, yes, this was all MUCH easier than I expected it to be.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

MIL is now happily surfing and Wording and spreadsheeting on her machine. No problems at all.

Here's what I've put together for the build I'll do with (and for) my boys:
AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

ADATA - SU655 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
(System power demand lists around 360 W)

Acer - G246HLAbd 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor
According to PCPartPicker these components are all compatible, and it should give them a gaming PC that will last for years. When the time comes, it will be easily upgradeable. When you add Windows, the total cost is still under $1,000.

I don't know if people have strong opinions about components, but please do let me know if any of these suck.

Questions:

1) I'm leaving out a disk drive entirely. DVD-ROM is on the way out, and if we really really need it I can buy an external one to share among all the machines in the house.

2) This motherboard appears to have onboard WiFi. Are reason that should be good enough for gaming? Do I need a separate WiFi adapter?

3) Most builds I see include two internal drives: usually an SSD and a separate traditional hard drive. Is the latter really necessary for a machine that will be used for Steam gaming and online schoolwork?
Daehawk

Re: Building my first PC's! Advice requested.

Post by Daehawk »

I only have a couple old mechanical drives in mine for storage of videos and music and junk. I dont really ever use them. They were originally my gaming drives in the past.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:11 pm 3) Most builds I see include two internal drives: usually an SSD and a separate traditional hard drive. Is the latter really necessary for a machine that will be used for Steam gaming and online schoolwork?
The price differential between SSDs and platter drives was too big up until about a year ago, where it wasn't worth spending money on a single large SSD. Things have changed, where you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on a 1TB SSD. So you might not need a second drive.
JCC

Re: Building my first PC's! Advice requested. [Moving on to Gaming PC's.]

Post by JCC »

These days I wouldn't buy anything but SSD drive(s) for a gaming PC. I would only buy traditional drives for other PC functions (work/media/backup/etc). I unfortunately use my current PC for gaming and streaming. I look forward to retiring it to streaming only and having a gaming workhorse in the future. Though not sure when that will be as I already have too many PCs still in (limited) use in the house.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

These days I wouldn't buy anything but SSD drive(s)
An SSD is the single biggest performance booster I see in the Windows 10 world. If a 500 Gig SSD were sill around $375, it'd still be money well spent for the performance boost over 7200 RPM 500 Gig drive, even if all you do is work on spread sheets.
JCC

Post by JCC »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:02 pm An SSD is the single biggest performance booster I see in the Windows 10 world.
Truth. No matter what you buy/build a PC for - at minimum the OS/boot drive should always be SSD.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

First hitch:

All of the parts for the system described above have arrived except for the SSD.

When I looked into it, I learned from the tracking that the the package had been delivered to an address in Wisconsin. (I live in PA and have never set foot in WI.)

I had ordered this SSD along with several other parts from Newegg, and this was the one item sourced not from them but from a subsidiary supplier. This supplier was Fastmedia, which had decent enough reviews that I didn't worry at the time of the order.

After calling them today, though, I'm not so sure. Their representatives on the phone didn't seem particularly interested in following through on a refund (as the original SSD is now out of stock), and I await confirmation of that activity. I've gone back to Newegg and put them on it as well, so I assume that I have at least a chance of getting my money back. I've already ordered an equivalent replacement SSD from elsewhere.

Par for the course, maybe?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm just reading through the recent posts of this thread this morning. (I echo all sentiments about SSD vs. HDD.) When I read through your parts list, I asked myself "Who's Adata?" Maybe fight for that refund and purchase from a more traditional SSD manufacturer.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:57 am I'm just reading through the recent posts of this thread this morning. (I echo all sentiments about SSD vs. HDD.) When I read through your parts list, I asked myself "Who's Adata?" Maybe fight for that refund and purchase from a more traditional SSD manufacturer.
I went with Samsung as replacement. Still awaiting word on the refund.

On the up side, we assembled the machine this morning from 8:00 to noon, and everything seems to have worked right the first time! By 2:00 pm one kid was playing Dishonored 2 on it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cooling question:

The case for the machine I just built came with a single outlet fan in back. I'd already bought some serviceable fans in a four-pack, so I added one intake fan on the front and another outlet fan on the top. (This is of course in addition to the CPU heatsink/fan.)

It seems like enough--the CPU seems to be running about 55 degrees during heavy graphics gaming. I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as too many fans. How much power does each fan draw?

Also, I think I remember hearing that fine-mesh dust screens (and this case has several) actually hinder cooling, and that a gaming desktop might be better without them as long as you keep it clean. Any opinions here?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Gamer's Nexus did a review of your case and did heat testing with several different fan and filter combinations. It's here. Looks like they got a 10c improvement by removing the magnetic dust filter and adding two fans up front.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Biyobi wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 pm Gamer's Nexus did a review of your case and did heat testing with several different fan and filter combinations. It's here. Looks like they got a 10c improvement by removing the magnetic dust filter and adding two fans up front.
Thanks!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Another heat question:

I actually went with the stock heat sink for the CPU, which (being the kind with spring-screws rather than clips) was a real pain to install.

The sink came with thermal paste pre-applied, and during installation I wouldn't be surprised if some of it got smeared more thickly here than there as I tried and retried to get it correctly seated (and then turned it because the fan wire needed to be on the other side).

Is this a problem? The sink is now seated firmly and squarely, so I assume the stuff was pressed flat and even enough. None came out the sides, but I'm wondering how obsessively careful it's necessary to be with this stuff.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do you have data to suggest that it's heating too much? Unless you have data to suggest that it's an issue, don't start fiddling with it more.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

What Isgrimnur said.

Granted, a manual application of quality thermal compound like Noctua NT-H1 will almost always be superior to any pre-applied OEM paste. But unless you have reason to believe there's an issue with it, you're only going to shave off a few additional degrees of temperature by removing and reapplying your own thermal compound. So in your situation it's likely more trouble than it's worth.