Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Amazon TV/Movies

Post by Drazzil »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 pm Has anyone else watched season 2 of Fleabag? It (and the entire show, for that matter) is brilliant.
I watched an episode and was turned off. The woman comes off as unlikable.

Good Omens is out today and has taken my interest.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Watched 1 and a half episodes of Good Omens so far. I haven't read the book but am really enjoying it so far, with one exception... the narration. Much too overdone and just jarring to me. I was hoping it would taper off after the first episode and initial setup but it's still here in episode 2.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Daveman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:06 am Watched 1 and a half episodes of Good Omens so far. I haven't read the book but am really enjoying it so far, with one exception... the narration. Much too overdone and just jarring to me. I was hoping it would taper off after the first episode and initial setup but it's still here in episode 2.
I'm also not a fan of the narration. It's very well done, just not a fan.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 am
Daveman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:06 am Watched 1 and a half episodes of Good Omens so far. I haven't read the book but am really enjoying it so far, with one exception... the narration. Much too overdone and just jarring to me. I was hoping it would taper off after the first episode and initial setup but it's still here in episode 2.
I'm also not a fan of the narration. It's very well done, just not a fan.
I think it's their way of adding in the "voice" of the book to keep that Pratchett/Gaiman flavor. I've been ok with it so far though I keep expecting it to lead off with 'The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say about Armageddon..."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m also fine with the narration. It’s Frances McDormand, for crying out loud. She can do no wrong.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I'm half way through and think it's a riot. There's defintely WAY less narration after the first episode - not that I had any issue with it.

There's a ton of people in front of and behind the cameras from Doctor Who involved with this show. That's generally true of a lot of British shows (and this is way more British than it is American) but it's ridiculously true in this show's case.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finished Good Omens. Just superb. Loved it. I will have to go read the book now.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While the narration doesn’t bother me, Tennant’s overly emphasized swagger does.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:06 pm While the narration doesn’t bother me, Tennant’s overly emphasized swagger does.
I love Tennant's swagger.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, Crowley in the church during WWII made me laugh. Tennant was hilarious in that scene.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 pm Okay, Crowley in the church during WWII made me laugh. Tennant was hilarious in that scene.
Yup.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
YouTube is officially back on Fire TV devices starting today, almost a year and a half after Google pulled the app as part of a lengthy fight with Amazon. Additionally, Amazon’s Prime Video streaming is also launching today with support for Chromecast and more widespread Android TV devices, just as the two companies promised earlier this year.

According to Amazon, the YouTube app will be available on the following devices: the Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen), Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, and Fire TV Stick Basic Edition, along with Toshiba, Insignia, Element, and Westinghouse Fire TV Edition smart TVs.
Amazon promises that more Fire TV devices will be getting the YouTube app “in the coming months,” along with support for YouTube Kids and the live YouTube TV service that’s set to release later this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now if they'd just make a Shudder channel app for android tv, i'd be happy. :x
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you side load the apk from the version available for mobile devices? Because according to every search I've made it ain't available for android tv.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just checked the website from my work machine. The tv is the only Android device I have. And now the site is saying that it's not compatible with the tv.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it's been a thorn in my side for a while. You can subscribe to it via the Amazon Prime Video app, but you won't get the live channel (hence no live Joe Bob, which is the biggest draw for me), and you have to put up with their crappy interface. I do have a roku that I kept after I made the jump to the Shield TV (which I love), but it's annoying to have to switch between ecosystems for one channel. I'd rather free up the HDMI port and just have it all on my Shield.

Ah, first world problems, am'i'right?

edit: As mentioned above, the Amazon Prime Video app doesn't allow for the live shudder channel, and it requires a different subscription than the shudder channel so they keep you in the amazon billing system. The other service has the same issues. Plus, they both have really, really shitty interfaces. I would rather not go through another service to get to shudder. And since they have an app for everything BUT android tv practically, it just makes little sense.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Update 1: A Shudder app appeared in my google play store on my Android TV nvidia shield device a week or so ago. So far, so good.

Update 2: The Boys (that show Daehawk’s still believes is a Netflix original) showed up late Thursday night on Amazon. I’m about 4 episodes in already. It’s cynical, dark (extremely dark a lot of the time), funny (darkly so, in keeping with the tone), bleak and very gory. But I’m enjoying the hell out of it. It’s also good to see the main actor from the criminally underrated Banshee make a return as their version of (a psychotic) Superman. He’s fantastic in the role.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finished up The Boys last night. Good stuff. It goes a bit over-the-top sometimes, but from what I understand it's very (and fortunately) toned-down from the comics. Definitely seems like a more realistic version of what would really happen if there were a few people with god-like powers.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm about halfway through the Boys and I'm really liking it - the tone, the characters (and actors), the story -- it's all quite enjoyable. It feels very much like watching a comic book and the dark humor is fantastic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Antony Starr as Homelander is clearly the standout in the show. He just sells it so well. The way he can go from camera friendly charm machine one second, to a bone chilling sociopath the next is pretty damn great.

Frenchie just cracks me up with almost everything he says.

Oddly enough, Karl Urban, who I usually like, is one of the weaker parts of the show. It's not that he's bad as Billy Butcher, it's just that he doesn't really stand out to me. At least enough so that I really care about his vendetta. Perhaps that will change in season 2 (which they've already committed to).

I finished the first season last week (I kind of binged over the course of a few days) and it had some great twists and turns towards the end that I did not see coming. Can't wait for the next season.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've seen six episodes and love this show. It's first-rate TV for sure.

Homelander is awesome. Such a great character.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Agree with everyone so far that The Boys is awesome. In some ways is reminds me of Barry with its dark comedy delivery (plus the lead has some of the same mannerism as Holder, imo).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, for season 2
Spoiler:
If you've got a Giancarlo Esposito, you'd damn well better use him!
Oh, and
Spoiler:
I hope The Deep has become a villain. I mean, not that he wasn't already in many ways...as are most of The Seven. But I'm hoping his final scenes in season 1 show us that he's going to go full on villain and take on the supes himself. It would be interesting to see him transform into a killing machine after being the butt of most of the "lame superhero" jokes from everyone around him much of the season.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished The Boys last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Echo everyone's thoughts about how awesome the guy playing Homelander was, and the rest of the case was excellent as well. I really enjoyed Urban as Billy Butcher.

Not sure how much I enjoyed the ending. I know they're looking to set up the next season, but they pretty much left everything hanging in the wind. I definitely didn't expect that final twist though...that was very well done.

My biggest question:
Spoiler:
When and how did Frenchie get the ability to simply shrug off bullets? He gets blasted as he's looking in the window at Kamiko, and the next moment he's running around, helping her out of the facility, etc. Seems like it didn't even phase him, which I found a little weird.

Homelander killing Madeline was just brutal.
Can't wait for the next season.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I was playing City of Heroes the other day and someone mentioned The Boys was a documentary of most CoH players...cracked me up.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hyena wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:13 am I was playing City of Heroes the other day and someone mentioned The Boys was a documentary of most CoH players...cracked me up.
Now I'm in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Regarding The Boys:
Spoiler:
Homelander has shown that he can kill instantly with his laser eyes. He slowed that down greatly with Stillwell just to make it hurt. That was horrific.
He is a guy who just loves to kill people. I think it's great that he created supervillians to fight just to give him a challenge.

Frenchie had a typical Hollywood wound. It's not believable at all, but I'm okay with it.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 am Antony Starr as Homelander is clearly the standout in the show. He just sells it so well. The way he can go from camera friendly charm machine one second, to a bone chilling sociopath the next is pretty damn great.
I just started watching it and it was driving my partner and I crazy how familiar he looked. Finally I checked the name and I was like, wait a sec, isn't he... the Banshee guy??? We were totally obsessed with him for a while so I can't believe we didn't recognize him. He is really a fantastic actor and just so damn hot to boot. If you like him and don't mind some really hardcore violence, I do highly recommend Banshee.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 pm Regarding The Boys:
Spoiler:
Homelander has shown that he can kill instantly with his laser eyes. He slowed that down greatly with Stillwell just to make it hurt. That was horrific.
He is a guy who just loves to kill people. I think it's great that he created supervillians to fight just to give him a challenge.

Frenchie had a typical Hollywood wound. It's not believable at all, but I'm okay with it.
The most unsettling part to me was:
Spoiler:
The fact that she didn't even make a sound. A very quick gasp, and that was it...while her face completely melted.

That was just...:shudder:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 pm Regarding The Boys:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I don't think it's that Homelander likes to kill. I think it's just that he doesn't care if he kills. He views supes as inferior, and regular humans as less than bugs. You wouldn't have an issue with swatting a mosquito if it annoyed you, just as Homelander has no trouble killing a plane full of people (or more appropriately, letting them die) if it looks like he won't get the end result he wanted without a lot of effort/risk. He's a true sociopath.

The moment he downed that senator's plane and smiled at the child looking out the window at him right before doing so really summed up his character for me.

Homelander needs to be adored. Right now I think it helps him fill that void that being raised in a lab left in him. But it's about self gratification, not the actual love of the people for him. The moment he lets the facade slip because being loved by the general public no longer fulfills him in any way, humans are fucked. He'll just wipe out anyone who disagrees with him, looks at him wrong, etc..

Also, I don't think he created the foreign villains just to fight them. That was simply part of his plan to get the government to allow the supes to act internationally as a sponsored military force. I may be wrong, but it seemed like Homelander is either somewhat fearful, or at least in awe of Edgar (the great Giancarlo Esposito...who they damn well better use a LOT next season). So making Edgar's plans into a reality might be important to Homelander.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Spoiler:
There was a scene where Homelander killed a shooter by punching him in the chest and reaching his hand inside the guy. He was totally getting off on it, which he again showed when he lasered all the guys in that drug building. He really enjoyed squishing that guy’s head too. He certainly does see himself as a higher being than regular humans, but he also loves to kill people.

I agree that creating foreign villains was a great plan because it kept Vought in demand. However, I think he was really excited about having challenging fights. That was a bonus.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't see him as enjoying a challenge though. To be honest, it seems like something that would just piss him off and drive him (even more) nuts. He likes being cock of the walk and challenging that perception is the last thing he wants, imho.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The scene in The Boys where A-Train is visiting the kid in the hospital and it's being live streamed had me giggling like a little school girl.
So subtle, yet so, so funny.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Homelander looking at his poster in episode 2.

The reveal after his interaction with Starlight.

LoL
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The only thing that seemed a stretch plot-wise (ending spoiler) was
Spoiler:
that Homelander figuring out he was being lied to because the Dr. guy said the baby crawled out of Butcher's wife and Elizabeth Shue said she had had a miscarriage? Was there something else I missed, because that wouldn't necessarily seem contradictory to me.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anyone else think the entire Starlight/Hughie thing just fell completely flat?

While she started as the (well, a) focal point, I actually found Starlight to be less and less interesting as the season went on, and was far more invested in the other, more complex characters. I really wanted to hear more about Maeve, tbh.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I like Starlight (and how her story is unfolding with Hughie). I don't know if it's intentional or accidental but in both look and mannerisms, she reminds me a bit (the actress and character) of Sookie from True Blood. I'm still only on Episode 5, but I agree - the other characters seemingly have more depth and histories that we're not supposed to know about. I do think that's intentional.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the actress portraying Starlight did a decent enough job conveying the increasing cynicism she goes through after learning the truth about herself and her mother.

As for Ralph's question
Spoiler:
It was enough to realize that one person definitely stated that the child had died, while another left open the door that he didn't. That was enough to make the always suspicious and paranoid Homelander take a trip back to the doctor's where he tortured him until he told him the truth (that last part was mentioned by Homelander, not shown though).
note: my brain simply can't accept the word "homelander" and has so far made me write "Highlander" and just "Homeland" more than once, causing me to go back and edit my posts. I demand Amazon change the character's name to something I can actually work with.
Covfefe!