Warhammer: Chaosbane

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

Warhammer: Chaosbane

Post by rittchard »

Did I miss the thread or has it not been mentioned here at all? ARPG set in the Warhammer universe, first beta this week (with preorder).

https://warhammer-chaosbane.com/
Freyland

Re: Warhammer: Chaosbane

Post by Freyland »

It has "pets"? What race has pets, other than Orks with their Squigs?

Anyways, not for me. Can't seem to get into games like that.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I don't see any pets but I didn't play that much of it.

It seems like a serviceable Diablo clone, though not much depth thus far. Graphics and skill effects are pretty good. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of character customization but maybe that comes later.

I'd say the thing that bugged me the most was it seemed like every "mission" seemed to go to the same map or mapset (basically variations of a sewer). The one time I remember going out into a city map ended with a second section in the... you guessed it, sewers! I don't know if this was because it was the beta but it seemed like it was just the way the story was progressing.

The game could use a lot of work, for sure, it seems way behind other games in the genre. Perhaps the main draw is the Warhammer universe, I don't know. As a hack and slash ARPG, it is presently fairly lacking.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Martyr was pretty good but not great. For a new Warhammer themed game I would have expected more, not less than that game.

Sounds disappointing.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Like most things I bought this and am playing it albeit not at a breakneck pace

4 character types and no customization at all.

Have played through each to level 6 just to so what is up. The mage character has a steerable spell which has been entertaining

Apparently the elves have back problems or just this one as her movement makes my back hurt just watching it
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I've played every class to 10. There are some interesting dynamics with each class, enough to keep me playing for a bit.

Haven't made it to crafting yet or anything to spend gold on. It is a change of pace that I appreciate for the moment
morlac

Post by morlac »

I quit trying to keep track of the latest monthly Warhammer: Game release. It's even worse on the mobile side. There are some good ones mixed in but damn If i can remember what they are called :)
Jag

Post by Jag »

morlac wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:24 pm I quit trying to keep track of the latest monthly Warhammer: Game release. It's even worse on the mobile side. There are some good ones mixed in but damn If i can remember what they are called :)
I'm having fun with Mechanicus. It's an X-Com like but much more punishing. Definitely going to finish it.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:04 pm Like most things I bought this and am playing it albeit not at a breakneck pace

4 character types and no customization at all.

Have played through each to level 6 just to so what is up. The mage character has a steerable spell which has been entertaining

Apparently the elves have back problems or just this one as her movement makes my back hurt just watching it
LMAO

Just to clarify, the skill system is somewhat similar to Diablo 3. It's not very clear at the getgo, but essentially as you level up you get access to new skills and/or updates to old skills (sound familiar?). However, each skill or variant has a point total associated with it, and you are limited to a certain amount of total points. So that's where the "customization" comes in. It looks like eventually you will have a large pool of choices of which you can only select a limited amount, somewhat similar to Diablo 3.

Of course there is also gear with rarity variants. Too early to tell how good it is or isn't. In the single player game it looks like it only drops items specific to your class.

The game is kind of clunky, and not much has changed since beta. The first few missions keep sending you back to the freaking sewers lol. And then for some inane reason you have to go back and forth to different spots to turn them in to the main old dude. It adds absolutely nothing to the game, but oh well.

I still feel like it's worth giving it some more time to see if it grows on me.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I have every character at 13 or so and have died once when I forgot to roll my poor wood elf out of being surrounded. Looks like Van Helsing made it into this game as the witch hunter even if he has a different name.

The steerable spell of the mage is quite the damage dealer.

Mechanicus kicked my ass so bad on just the first mission after the intro that I had to put it away for a while. I tried like 4 times and just had my ass handed to me. At least with Chaosbane I survive.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaddison wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:10 pmMechanicus kicked my ass so bad on just the first mission after the intro that I had to put it away for a while. I tried like 4 times and just had my ass handed to me. At least with Chaosbane I survive.
I take a ton of time planing and playing the missions. Save scumming helps too. I'm starting to get to the point of not feeling totally outgunned, but it's been a very long road. There is also a ton of information I didn't know at the start that helps a bit.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Made it through the first chapter with the soldier. Final boss fight was a typical ARPG boss fight. this fight with the mage and wood elf is going to be....interesting.

Chapter 1 is centered in sewers. Chapter 2 in an abandoned overrun city.

Still no crafting but plenty of drops.....which you end up donating not selling. Donations help build levels with the peddler which am guessing will eventually lead to crafting.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

After you complete a chapter the option opens for exploration missions- think random dungeon/area filled with lots of things to kill and "events" that spawn randomly and throw waves of monsters to kill over the length of the vent.

There are also boss rush missions which let you take one one or more of the bosses you have faced.

Basically these are loot and level runs.

Have found no loot that has special powers so far or seems singularly unique.

God powers are fun and make the mage survivable in very tough fights.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I bought the Van Helsing DLC and picked this up again recently to give it a chance, I'd read somewhere the witch hunter class was a lot of fun. It looks like they've added a lot of content and improved the graphics, etc over the past year. The first chapter was still something of a drag, I don't know why they didn't tweak it a bit to get you out of the freaking sewers any couple minutes. I was glad to see some other locales in the next two chapters.

While I'm enjoying my playthrough this time and have made it much further along, I still find a lot of the design choices odd and clunky. You get fragment and gold drops for a really long time before they become actually useful. You have to go back to the chapter hub way too often. There are multiple options that seem like they are never going to unlock and it's completely unclear if/when/what will help to do so, this is both for your character and in each location. The combat is OK but has a feel that's just off, though admittedly I am a bit spoiled now by Last Epoch.

All that said, there are some things they did that I do like - gear drops are plentiful but almost always useful. Unlike other games, they seem to have found a way to get you useful increments much more often. This may only be an early game thing, I don't know. Story and voice acting is OK, I think for Warhammer fans it may be more attractive. I haven't played multiplayer but I suspect with a friend or two it could be quite fun.

Curious if anyone else played much of it or had any other thoughts.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I reinstalled this but haven't put much time in it. It does seem they shortened that first chapter and the time in the sewers though
Tao

Post by Tao »

This is on sale on Steam for $9 bucks. I have put in a few hours so far, playing the Dwarven Engineer and High Elf Mage. The game doesn't feel as tight and polished as a Diablo 3 but it's fun so far and for less than $10 dollars, figure I will definitely get my money's worth. Looks like it also has co-op play and several of the skills look like they are designed toward team play.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez