Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Random randomness

Post by stessier »

A nonny mouse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am
Kraken wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm People Map of the US, showing the most famous (based on Wiki lookups) person from just about every little burg in the US. In my town it's Priscilla Chan, wife of the Zuck. My town has about 40,000 residents, so it drills down at least that far.
Holy Crap. Neil Gaiman lives in Menomonie, WI. I wish I would have known that when I lived in the state.
I lived in Menomonie for 5 years and never heard he lived there. Research shows his wiki page actually says he lives nearby. I wonder how close he is/was (as the page also says he splits time with Cambridge as well).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:40 pm
Both Frog & Toad and NWA are awesome.

They may even be more awesome together.
"A young frogger got it bad 'cause I'm brown "
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I went to the dentist and found out I have periodontal disease. Then went thru the most painful "deep cleaning" I've ever had. 2 1/2 hours and they only did half my mouth!
$605.
Oklahoma has shady dentists that will remove all your teeth and give you dentures for that amount.
I'm thinking about it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:14 pm
"A young frogger got it bad 'cause I'm brown "
[pedantic]Frog is green, Toad is brown[/pedantic]
A nonny mouse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am Holy Crap. Neil Gaiman lives in Menomonie, WI. I wish I would have known that when I lived in the state.
he used to live in or near Minneapolis in the 1990s, if i remember right. he did a lot of author events at Dreamhaven Books, which was literally a few blocks from my apartment and so i got him to sign my entire collection of his books over multiple readings/signings. (not something i would do these days...)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 pm
A nonny mouse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am Holy Crap. Neil Gaiman lives in Menomonie, WI. I wish I would have known that when I lived in the state.
he used to live in or near Minneapolis in the 1990s, if i remember right. he did a lot of author events at Dreamhaven Books, which was literally a few blocks from my apartment and so i got him to sign my entire collection of his books over multiple readings/signings. (not something i would do these days...)
Man, I wish I had known this when I lived in Minnesota in the 90s.

Paul Westerberg from The Replacements used to come into the Starbucks I worked at in Edina.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:02 pmPaul Westerberg from The Replacements used to come into the Starbucks I worked at in Edina.
When getting his coffee cup ready, how many times did you ask if it was his name or a doctor's eye chart?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Haha, my Dad and I had driven by that down on our way to Oregon for the Eclipse in 2017.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:02 pm I went to the dentist and found out I have periodontal disease. Then went thru the most painful "deep cleaning" I've ever had. 2 1/2 hours and they only did half my mouth!
$605.
Oklahoma has shady dentists that will remove all your teeth and give you dentures for that amount.
I'm thinking about it.
Watching "Very British Problems" on Netflix the other night and they casually dropped that it was a common 21st birthday present in 1860's Britain to have all your teeth removed and replaced with dentures.

Jeebus.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dad had all his remaining teeth removed and replaced with dentures when he was in his late thirties.
He always said that was the best decision he ever made.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 amMy dad had all his remaining teeth removed and replaced with dentures when he was in his late thirties.
He always said that was the best decision he ever made.
Maybe if you've got horrible dental problems. I'm 41 with all my originals, minus one Wisdom tooth I had extracted a year ago. Everything is in working order and I'm in no hurry for dentures.
Black Lives Matter

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My Dad had all his remaining teeth extracted when he was in the Army by a quack dentist and was given dentures. He was 23 or 24 years old and at Fort Knox in the mid '60's.

He was happy for it at the time, they had been broken out from poor hygiene and football. But still, they pulled at least 20 of his teeth!
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Maybe tossed salads isn't so healthy for you.
:whistle:
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What about scrambled eggs?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

A nonny mouse wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am Maybe tossed salads isn't so healthy for you.
:whistle:
HAHA I saw that headline a hour ago and thought the same thing. I'm such an asshole.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You never go ass to mouth.

NSFW, of course.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just for the record, you don't have to do either for this to get passed. The plain ol' vagina can pass it to both the throat and anus. Lots o' fluids splashing around during sex. And I do know a thing or two about HPV-related mouth/throat cancer, unfortunately.

/edit - and vaccinate your damned kids and it will stop being an issue at all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 am/edit - and vaccinate your damned kids and it will stop being an issue at all.
We need a +1 here, because that's the truth. Have fun with your butt, however there shouldn't be a worry about risk of cancer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 am Just for the record, you don't have to do either for this to get passed. The plain ol' vagina can pass it to both the throat and anus. Lots o' fluids splashing around during sex. And I do know a thing or two about HPV-related mouth/throat cancer, unfortunately.

Greengoo? is that you? :P
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A nonny mouse wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:27 am Just for the record, you don't have to do either for this to get passed. The plain ol' vagina can pass it to both the throat and anus. Lots o' fluids splashing around during sex. And I do know a thing or two about HPV-related mouth/throat cancer, unfortunately.

Greengoo? is that you? :P
Green goo in those areas is a different issue.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tonight's forecast: Clear with a chance of ladybugs.
On the radar, the cloud of insects looked like a "light rainstorm" — not quite the density of a severe thunderstorm, she says. They were flying about a mile above the ground, she said, in the cloud that was about 10 miles wide.

The mass of beetles was spotted heading south just before 9 p.m. on Tuesday night. The weather watchers lost sight of the cloud overnight, and the ladybugs' current location isn't clear.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They have one variation of ladybugs that are aggressive and actually bite. Last year they congregated it my bedroom. Must have been a couple of hundred of them. Feels like a little pinprick on you skin.
First time in my life I killed ladybugs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:11 pm They have one variation of ladybugs that are aggressive and actually bite. Last year they congregated it my bedroom. Must have been a couple of hundred of them. Feels like a little pinprick on you skin.
First time in my life I killed ladybugs.
that's actually an Asian lady beetle
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yep. That's them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

When you take a call at an industrial site for an accident with a lathe, and learn he didn't make it. And a few minutes later, there's a scream from inside our building and it's the man's wife learning of his passing.

This town is very small in some ways.

Maybe we can move on to tomorrow and try again with something less gut wrenching?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 amWhen you take a call at an industrial site for an accident with a lathe, and learn he didn't make it.
I'm sorry you had to go through that.

As a guy who has a lathe in his basement, I'm curious to know what went wrong. If this is an industrial-size lathe and not a smaller woodworking lathe, don't worry about sharing; I can easily imagine how that can go wrong. If it was a smaller one making things like table legs, I'd like to learn what to avoid. I've watched a lot of safety videos and taken a class on it, but more "Do not do this" always helps. I don't think I've heard of a lethal scenario involving smaller-scale lathes, though, so I'm guessing it's the former.
Black Lives Matter

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Industrial sized. Have no fear? Well, no more than usual. :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My doctor continues to be a smart ass...although one with a helpful purpose. This is the fourth physical in as many years in which the first 5 minutes of the exam consists of him sitting at the terminal in the exam room, rattling off his "favorite weights" from my medical history. :x
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've made it plain to my doctor that I'm not interested in diets so we never talk about my weight.
Why waste the time if I'm not going to do anything about it?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

At my last physical I expressed concern about my weight and asked for amphetamines. He started citing the official reason that he can't prescribe diet drugs before he realized I was trolling him. We talked about how my exercise regime doesn't keep weight off like it used to and ended by agreeing that diets are futile. The older one gets, the more one's metabolism slows. Bodies are designed to hoard extra weight against lean times that never come. One can only resist 3 million years of evolution so far.

My weight just crossed the line between overweight and obese, and there's no medical solution for that. Being fat is the reason for my acid reflux, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, and arthritis pain, and I just have to address that on my own. Thanks for nothing, modern medicine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:34 pm My weight just crossed the line between overweight and obese, and there's no medical solution for that. Being fat is the reason for my acid reflux, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, and arthritis pain, and I just have to address that on my own. Thanks for nothing, modern medicine.
I started running again last month... Saturday I ran 4.5 miles (50% longer than my longest run this year) and my legs were not happy. I went against my body's advice and ran 2 more on Sunday... I could barely walk Sunday evening (though I am fine today, other than a bit of a twinge on the third flight of stairs). After that feeling last night, I think I might just accept the acid reflux, high cholesterol, etc.

I don't own a scale, but I suspect I am close to my lowest body weight ever as an adult... and I am still not happy with it. I suspect it is impossible for us to be truly happy with our bodies.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Out of the hundreds of animated movies that I’ve watched in the past decade since I’ve become a parent, my absolute least favorite - by a very wide margin - are the “Secret Life of Pets” movies.

Wonder Twins 6.0 wanted to go see the second one today for their birthday. It was SO gorram boring. Didn’t elicit even a single chuckle, even from the kids. About the time the final act rolled around they were both asking when we could leave.

Whatever they’re going for in those films is entirely lost on me and my kids.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

How does “Cats vs. Dogs” rate?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:34 pm At my last physical I expressed concern about my weight and asked for amphetamines. He started citing the official reason that he can't prescribe diet drugs before he realized I was trolling him. We talked about how my exercise regime doesn't keep weight off like it used to and ended by agreeing that diets are futile. The older one gets, the more one's metabolism slows. Bodies are designed to hoard extra weight against lean times that never come. One can only resist 3 million years of evolution so far.

My weight just crossed the line between overweight and obese, and there's no medical solution for that. Being fat is the reason for my acid reflux, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, and arthritis pain, and I just have to address that on my own. Thanks for nothing, modern medicine.
My 79-y.o. dad just visited. At his peak, around 2000, he weighed 240 (he's 5'9"). Today he weighs 160.

This isn't due (directly) to any health issue. Instead, shortly after the peak he developed diabetes and eventually began taking insulin and doing reasonable exercise. This resulted in significant weight loss, and his doctor has signed off on the weight drop as a good sign.

If this is how diabetes works, sign me up.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

No, it doesn't work that way for all of us.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm No, it doesn't work that way for all of us.
Oh, I know. I honestly can't figure what's going on with dad (and neither can mom).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:46 pm How does “Cats vs. Dogs” rate?
Thankfully, that was prior to me being required to see every damn kids movie that comes out.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 pm If this is how diabetes works, sign me up.
I know you're joking but never forget that diabetes is a killer. It can take young and old without warning. I used to ignorantly think that diabetes was this managable thing where you live a relatively normal life, (kind of like HIV now?!?) until I saw a few people I know drop dead. Complications from diabetes can lead to stroke, heart disease, blindess, etc. It also causes kidney failure, and we know a lot about that around here.

I'm not trying to be a downer and it can be mitigated so there is hope. I'm just saying...
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moat_Man wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 pm If this is how diabetes works, sign me up.
I know you're joking but never forget that diabetes is a killer. It can take young and old without warning. I used to ignorantly think that diabetes was this managable thing where you live a relatively normal life, (kind of like HIV now?!?) until I saw a few people I know drop dead. Complications from diabetes can lead to stroke, heart disease, blindess, etc. It also causes kidney failure, and we know a lot about that around here.

I'm not trying to be a downer and it can be mitigated so there is hope. I'm just saying...
I hear you.

My initial comment was a joke, but my dad and I had a serious discussion about how diabetes killed his father.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I REALLY really really really hate moron switches on outdoor power tools. I mean moron switches. Moron switches. .....Safety switches. Ya safety switches. Where you have to push down one switch to use another switch then hold it so the damn tool runs. So annoying and VERY difficult for me to use with my hands busted up. My left one is almost useless for this stuff and is damn painful doing it. But I hated them before. Hate them. Tempted to jury rig the thing so its always on. Probably cut a finger or toe off. Just left me use the on off switch.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"