What happens if Trump loses and tries to sieze power?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Random thought. It's been in the news a bit that Trump has spoken a bit about this. Its scary.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Pyperkub

Re: What happens if Trump loses and tries to sieze power?

Post by Pyperkub »

The military boots him, he is arrested and thrown in jail for treason.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Loses? Ever the eternal optimist, eh?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 pm Loses? Ever the eternal optimist, eh?
Fingers crossed!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Pyperkub wrote:The military boots him, he is arrested and thrown in jail for treason.
And I think the Secret Service detail will have words for the ex-Toddler in Chief.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm
Pyperkub wrote:The military boots him, he is arrested and thrown in jail for treason.
And I think the Secret Service detail will have words for the ex-Toddler in Chief.
Probably with golf clubs in hand!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm
Hmm... I seem to remember reading somewhere that Trump has surrounded himself with secret service officials loyal to him. I think it was reddit, so... Maybe not the best source.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

50/50 coin toss at this point. Both on whether he loses and on whether he tries to seize power if he does.

I'll stock up on ammo and whisky prior to the election just in case.

And Pop Tarts and Amarone.

You never know
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think it's a scary bedtime story for Democrats, and about as believable as a fairy tale.

Trump can't even keep people loyal to him NOW. You think he's going to convince them to break the law and seize control of the US government during a legitimate election loss? No way.

The one scenario I have a little bit easier time believing is if the election proved to be very close, and Trump refused to concede. Then yeah, I'm sure he'll pull an Al Gore and drag the thing out until every hanging chad has been counted. But I don't think this election is going to be that close.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm The one scenario I have a little bit easier time believing is if the election proved to be very close, and Trump refused to concede. Then yeah, I'm sure he'll pull an Al Gore and drag the thing out until every hanging chad has been counted.
Any guess who the SCOTUS would pick?

Drazzil's question comes up every time the WH changes hands -- or it has since Bush/Gore, at least. It feels more plausible this time around, with an unhinged incumbent who has dropped hints. To succeed, Trump would need to inspire personal loyalty, not just fear. So I agree that he would be removed.

How many Trumpelos would run amok in the involuntary removal scenario? It would depend in part on how much they hate the winning Democrat.

Me, I still think he dies before the next election.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:01 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm The one scenario I have a little bit easier time believing is if the election proved to be very close, and Trump refused to concede. Then yeah, I'm sure he'll pull an Al Gore and drag the thing out until every hanging chad has been counted.
Any guess who the SCOTUS would pick?

Drazzil's question comes up every time the WH changes hands -- or it has since Bush/Gore, at least. It feels more plausible this time around, with an unhinged incumbent who has dropped hints. To succeed, Trump would need to inspire personal loyalty, not just fear. So I agree that he would be removed.

How many Trumpelos would run amok in the involuntary removal scenario? It would depend in part on how much they hate the winning Democrat.

Me, I still think he dies before the next election.
Then we get Pence. Pence is much more capable.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm I think it's a scary bedtime story for Democrats, and about as believable as a fairy tale.
+1. Not even worth entertaining the question imo. I don't find any interest or value in it even as a thought experiment. Maybe as a fiction from a good writer.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm I think it's a scary bedtime story for Democrats, and about as believable as a fairy tale.
+1. Not even worth entertaining the question imo. I don't find any interest or value in it even as a thought experiment. Maybe as a fiction from a good writer.
Let's hope so.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sailors from the USS John S. McCain would storm the White House?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If you recall, there was this same kind of boogeyman story when Obama was in office, with conservatives predicting he'd change the Constitution to get a third term.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Same can because for about 80% of what this administration has done already. Well, except the good writer part.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:51 am
Same can because for about 80% of what this administration has done already. Well, except the good writer part.
The part that is scary to me is that I can not get myself to rule out the possibility of his attempting to retain power if he loses after a single term. I think if he gets 2 terms that possibility goes away as he will be able to walk away "a winner" which is all he cares about.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm on the side saying this is barely a thought exercise worth entertaining. There's no structure in the US that would support him doing this.

What I'm more interested in is the absolute shitstorming we'll see if (pleasepleasepleaseplease) he loses the 2020 election. From the moment the polls close until the second he has to transfer power, I expect he'll be kicking-screaming-pissing-thrashing-fighting at everyone and everything that he perceives as the cause for his failure. I think his behavior will make what we've seen so far look like peaceful serenity on a quiet lake. I expect him to try and incite riots by his deepest constituents and try to provoke aggression against anyone who wasn't on his side.

I'll feel extra sorry for any Secret Service agents who'll have to trail around after him for the rest of his life.
Last edited by Paingod on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

What GG said. Not even worth talking about.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Since we're just doing a thought experiment, what if something like the 2008 implosion or the 9/11 attacks happen?

If you can't see a Trump takeover on a good day, what about on a really bad day? Senate defers to executive orders, House is toothless...

And who has really shown backbone? Mueller and a few generals who resigned? What were they able to do?

Trump being president was an inane thought experiment 4 years ago. Looked where we are now.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

The biggest danger is a flurry of executive orders, judicial confirmations, and other Bad Things that Trump and McConnell can rush through during the lame duck period.

I could see Trump basically firing everybody in every agency within his reach just to cause strife (and to gum up the works of investigation) as he leaves office.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:16 am
The part that is scary to me is that I can not get myself to rule out the possibility of his attempting to retain power if he loses after a single term.
Nor can I, but the operative word is 'try.' I can't imagine any scenario in which he could succeed past the first few hours. Hell, I doubt it would go beyond a tweetstorm. I do dread the thought of a lame duck 'loser' Trump. Hopefully it is countered somewhat when the R congress realizes that it no longer needs him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 amI could see Trump basically firing everybody in every agency within his reach just to cause strife (and to gum up the works of investigation) as he leaves office.
That's the sort of shitstorm I'm more worried about. He could potentially damage things so much that it takes the next president's term just to try and correct the listing ship he inherits.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:16 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:51 am
The part that is scary to me is that I can not get myself to rule out the possibility of his attempting to retain power if he loses after a single term. I think if he gets 2 terms that possibility goes away as he will be able to walk away "a winner" which is all he cares about.
Well, the idea that Trump would openly say "fuck the constitution and the election results, I'm declaring myself dictator for life" or something is silly and not worth considering.

However, there are other scenarios that do worry me quite a bit. First, there's the risk of election shenanigans, running the gamut from voter roll purges to actual vote manipulation (at least in states with electronic voting machines and no paper trail).

Second, if Trump loses narrowly, the odds that he contests the election results to me seem quite high. He questioned the vote results in 2016 in an election that he *won*. In an election that he loses, and where he now faces the prospect of criminal charges once out of office? I assume it's very likely that he'll have people ginning up electoral fraud accusations, and if key states have Trump / GOP friendly Secretaries of State, there's a realistic prospect of efforts to recertify election results in his favor (and resulting court battles).

As a result, I think there's a plausible scenario where both Trump and Biden / Warren / Sanders / etc. both have inaugurations in January 2021 with competing claims to the presidency.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:24 pm Then we get Pence. Pence is much more capable.
And Pence is much more likely to try and distance himself from Trump, possibly in even turn on him. Pence was recently in Ottawa talking to Trudeau about the trade deals, the whole MSMCA thing and looked to be making some headway and trying to smooth things out diplomatically, and you could tell he was feeling embarrassed to be in Trump's shadow. A few hours later, on that very same day Trump completely undermined his visit by slapping tariffs on the Mexicans. If Pence wasn't feeling any resentment before this, I wouldn't be surprised if he was after all that. Why send in your VP to finalize a deal and then completely contradict him? At least allow him a few days of glory. He hadn't even left Ottawa yet before Trump made his announcement and undid everything. Egg=Face.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti