MLB Post Season 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: MLB Season 2019

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure that's nowhere close to peak NYC, but it's got to chart somewhere.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The 2018 season was the first in history in which strikeouts outpaced hits, a trend that has accelerated so far in 2019. The ball is in play less than ever, with a record 35.4 percent of plate appearances in 2019 resulting in a strikeout, walk or home run. Teams are using an average of 3.3 relievers per game in 2019, just below last year’s all-time record of 3.4. The leaguewide batting average of .245 in 2019 is the lowest since 1972, and a drop of 26 points from 1999, at the height of the steroids era. The leaguewide strikeout rate of 8.78 per nine innings, also a record, is higher than the career rate of Roger Clemens.
Most, if not all, of this change can be traced back to the rising velocity of the fastball — the fundamental unit of pitching — from a leaguewide average of 89 mph in 2002, when FanGraphs first recorded data, to 92.9 mph so far this season. At the upper end of the spectrum, the shift is even more striking: In 2008, there were 196 pitches thrown at 100 mph or higher, according to Statcast data. In 2018, there were 1,320, a nearly sevenfold increase. In 2008, only 11 pitchers averaged 95 mph or higher; in 2018, 74 did. Aroldis Chapman of the New York Yankees and Jordan Hicks of the St. Louis Cardinals have both been clocked at 105 mph.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Which is strange given the number of double digit run totals being put up. Methinks the dropoff from a couple good starters is dramatic.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ERA in 2019 sits at 4.30. In 2000, it was 4.76.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:18 pm Which is strange given the number of double digit run totals being put up. Methinks the dropoff from a couple good starters is dramatic.
All or nothing. Home runs or die swing out trying. I'm guessing it's a mix of analytics, the shift (which is actually more analytics), and pitchers throwing harder than ever before.

Although data suggest I'm wrong. Home runs aren't as high as I'd think they are even as I keep hearing about juiced balls.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr6.shtml

Maybe it's how quickly a pitcher loses their fastball by movement, placement, or speed and how slowly their manager pulls them, trying to manage a season, rather than one game? When I watched enough, I always thought the most interesting part of the game was when the started gets to the third time through the rotation.

Heh

Not much has moved up or down year over year in total aside from Hit By Pitch...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... /bat.shtml

Actually I guess at bats per game seems to be down *this year*
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Amazing Dodger game last night. Man that Bellinger is incredible 8-)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RIP Bill Buckner
Former All-Star Bill Buckner died Monday morning after a fight with Lewy body dementia at the age of 69. His death led to many tributes and memories shared by former players and teammates from around the MLB world.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Bill Buckner was my first favorite player when I was a kid. Plus, he had a first ballot Hall of Fame mustache.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here's hoping that the Veteran's Committee makes up for the mistake of the Writer's Association.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:47 am Bill Buckner was my first favorite player when I was a kid. Plus, he had a first ballot Hall of Fame mustache.
He was one of my favorites too and, along with Joe Pepitone, one of the reasons I played first base as a kid.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:47 am Bill Buckner was my first favorite player when I was a kid. Plus, he had a first ballot Hall of Fame mustache.
He was one of my favorites too and, along with Joe Pepitone, one of the reasons I played first base as a kid.
Also his Curb Your Enthusiasm episode was fantastic.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:56 am Here's hoping that the Veteran's Committee makes up for the mistake of the Writer's Association.
The advanced stats don't support a HOF career for Buckner at all.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I had tickets to the Dodger game last night. Sure glad I didn't go! Damned bullpen :roll:
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 am I had tickets to the Dodger game last night. Sure glad I didn't go! Damned bullpen :roll:
Pretty much the same thing for me - passed up tickets, saved me a rain delay and a midnight bullpen apocalypse.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Wish I would have had tickets to last night's game!! Down 8-3 in the 7th, win in walk off fashion vs the reliever of the year.

It doesn't get much better than this!

Poor Octavious. Next time :)
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh it's only his second blown save of the season, so I can't be too mad about it. It's obvious already that they don't have a team to compete with the Phillies. Especially with half the team on the DL now.

Watching Alonso highlights is about all I care about this season. If he played in a more HR friendly park I think he could chase Judge's HR record. I mean technically he totally has a shot, but with half his games at the spacious Citi Field I don't see that happening.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

We'll see if we have a team to compete with the Phillies, they show up tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Your boy didn't get hit by that ball Octavious. I know it, you know it and he knows it :)
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This is not the first time Max Scherzer has told Davey Martinez he isn't coming out of a game. But this gif is priceless.

Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:This is not the first time Max Scherzer has told Davey Martinez he isn't coming out of a game. But this gif is priceless.

After so many games where the bullpen blew what would have been a Scherzer win I wouldn't have been surprised if Max physically shoved Davey off the mound. The gif is hilarious!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Lorini wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:20 am Your boy didn't get hit by that ball Octavious. I know it, you know it and he knows it :)
I didn't see it. It's too painful for me to keep up more than on a weekly basis. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Cubs signed Craig Kimbrel for $43M through 2021. I know Red Sox fans were leery of him toward the end of last season, but his career numbers are impressive (333 saves, sub-2 ERA), and the Cubs needed something to be done about closing games. Going into last night's game, they were 11 for 22 in save opportunities.

Meanwhile, the Cubs did win again last night, narrowly avoiding another blown save. David Bote started at second base and went 4-4 with a home run, double, two singles, and seven RBI. The only other Cubs second basemen to have at least 7 RBI in a game? Rogers Hornsby (twice) and Ryne Sandberg. I think it's safe to say that Bote can start working on his Hall of Fame speech now.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The weakest part of the Dodgers is the bullpen but Jansen is the closer and Kimbrel wanted to be the closer. Apparently Keuchel went to the Braves.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:59 am The Cubs signed Craig Kimbrel for $43M through 2021. I know Red Sox fans were leery of him toward the end of last season, but his career numbers are impressive (333 saves, sub-2 ERA), and the Cubs needed something to be done about closing games. Going into last night's game, they were 11 for 22 in save opportunities.

Meanwhile, the Cubs did win again last night, narrowly avoiding another blown save. David Bote started at second base and went 4-4 with a home run, double, two singles, and seven RBI. The only other Cubs second basemen to have at least 7 RBI in a game? Rogers Hornsby (twice) and Ryne Sandberg. I think it's safe to say that Bote can start working on his Hall of Fame speech now.
:lol:

Enjoy.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This was the problem.
Drew Pomeranz entered today with an ERA of 8.08, so of course he shut down one of the highest-scoring offenses in baseball, limiting them to three singles over five shutout innings.
Thankfully the Dodgers don't have to play the Giants for every game.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 am This was the problem.
Drew Pomeranz entered today with an ERA of 8.08, so of course he shut down one of the highest-scoring offenses in baseball, limiting them to three singles over five shutout innings.
Thankfully the Dodgers don't have to play the Giants for every game.
Where's the problem? We won't make the playoffs, but beating the Dodgers is the only thing I look forward this season. Well that and watching the Dodgers choke in the playoffs\WS. It's been a ritual lately :)

Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

7-2 Dodgers is much more to my taste, even if Rich Hill was all over the place.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You don't need to tell players what to do MadBum. What an ass.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:10 pm You don't need to tell players what to do MadBum. What an ass.
That was an utter bomb from Muncy.

Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:10 pm You don't need to tell players what to do MadBum. What an ass.
Doesn't bother me really. That's just Mad Bum. And Muncy gets to say his piece and basically shut that shit down:

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Very sorry to hear about the shooting incident with Big Papi. His dad says he's expected to make a full recovery which is awesome. The shooter got beaten up so bad he's in the hospital as well and they are not interrogating him until he's able to talk.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 am Very sorry to hear about the shooting incident with Big Papi. His dad says he's expected to make a full recovery which is awesome. The shooter got beaten up so bad he's in the hospital as well and they are not interrogating him until he's able to talk.
Yeah, glad to hear that he's going to be ok. Sounds like it was a botched robbery?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Spoiler:
Jon Lester
@JLester34
Utter shock. That was no robbery, that was a hit, and they better get to the bottom of it. Thank god no amount of evil or hate can overcome a heart that big. You got this @davidortiz
, we love you bro!
I assume Jon Lester is wired into law enforcement in the DR, so you can be sure his take is accurate.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If the attacker was beaten by a crowd it wouldn’t make any sense to try to rob someone with a bunch of people around. We won’t know until they can talk with his attacker as to what the motive was.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There is video and it doesn't look like a robbery. Does indeed look like a targeted attack. Not sure I'd call it a hit or what but not a robbery.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sox sent a private plane for Big Papi and he is now recovering in Boston.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rangers and Rockies winning in nailbiters made for a good evening. :ninja:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Ortiz's media assistant, Leo Lopez, told ESPN's Enrique Rojas that Ortiz is stable but still in intensive care.
According to Lopez, the operation lasted six hours and was performed by three doctors, led by Dr. Abel Gonzalez. The team had to remove part of Ortiz's intestines and colon, as well as his gallbladder. Ortiz also suffered liver damage.
The gunman was initially identified by police as 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia. However, authorities later said there were two suspects: the suspected shooter and Garcia, who was identified as the suspected driver of the motorcycle.

Garcia was detained by a crowd at the bar and beaten. He suffered a cranium contusion and trauma to his thorax, left knee and right leg, according to the Dominican Republic's National Health Service. He was treated at the Dario Contreras Hospital in Santo Domingo and then released to police custody.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am Rangers and Rockies winning in nailbiters made for a good evening. :ninja:
That was a very 2019 Red Sox game, unfortunately.
Black Lives Matter.