Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Kraken »

It's another hazy NEIPA and a local beer to boot. Uses African hops, apparently. Not the best ever, but good enough to deserve success. Will buy again.
doberman1

Post by doberman1 »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:41 am Image

How could anyone not buy that? Stranger Than Fiction is a pretty good porter, but it doesn't knock Mayflower off its perch.
This beer is amazing. I drank it once and it's probably the best beer i've ever had. Masterpiece :)
Liam9654

Post by Liam9654 »

I prefer dark beer with good bitterness and red wine. I found out that these two drinks are ideally combined with mold cheeses. :binky:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 pm The craft beer industry is a good argument for capitalism...but not so unfettered that all competitors can be assimilated. When I came of age the best choices were Pabst and Stroh's. Snobs brought Coors back from out west. Sam Adams came as a revelation. If Miller-Coors InBev was Facebook, we never would have tasted it.

Best beer name at today's spring tasting: Weird & Gilly. Please tell me you get the reference.
Spoiler:
Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with...
If you still don't get it, you are dead to me. (Unfortunately, the name was attached to a mediocre beer that I did not buy.)
The song has been in my head every day since you posted this. I'll take that over the other beer any day.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In honour of Game of Thrones returning, Nightwatch Oatmeal Stout by Lake of Bays. It's a little thin to me for an oatmeal stout. My gold standard is the St-Ambroise.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We ended up going out to dinner on Friday and the restaurant we went to, a small Canadian chain (M.I.C's if you're curious) and they had removed the local craft options in favour of Molson's line of "Craft" beers. So yeah, this is a battle we're still fighting in Canada. *sigh*
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't see that coming. But financially, it seems to make sense for Sam Adams to do this:
Dogfish Head is on pace to sell almost 300 thousand barrels in 2019. The company's net sales for the year are expected to be between $110 million and $120 million.

Boston Beer reported a little over $1 billion in revenue for fiscal year 2018.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Interesting. Back when the micro industry was still young, Dogfishhead was a favorite. The 60 and 90 minute IPAs were frequently purchased for parties, and the 120 minute for long drinking sessions while trapped with family on holidays. Their owner was doing some really cool stuff in terms of archaeology and ancient beers, and even had a short-run TV show about some of these adventures. I tried a few of those ancient beers when they bottled and distributed them -- with mixed results. In most cases, a six pack turned out to be too much of an investment. Eventually I tired of their weird beers, and the standards simply got too expensive for something that was mostly just ordinary.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Last night, Brickworks Mint & Basil Apple Cider. Kind of interesting in a weird way. Not something I'd buy again even though it's apparently very popular.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Organic IPA by Farm Island Brewing, Portland, ME. The can is as minimalist as the name. Trader Joe's claims it's only sold there; I'll take their word for it. I've never heard of the brewer before this, but maybe some New Englanders have? Anyway, an anemic ABV of 6.3 is somewhat offset by the $7.99/6 price point. You will need a shopping cart full to really tie one on. However, I do really like the flavor. It's been a while since I had a very fresh-tasting, piney IPA -- too many juicy ones over the past few years. Trader Joe's has several other varieties under this label, but I'll definitely get this one again.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I prefer the juicy ones to the hoppy piney ones. We do get a lot of piney ones over here. You can have them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ME Brewers Guild doesn't list Farm Island. Reddit says it's a Trader Joes private label contract-brewed by Peak Organic.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:21 pm ME Brewers Guild doesn't list Farm Island. Reddit says it's a Trader Joes private label contract-brewed by Peak Organic.
Does Peak Orgasmic make anything else? If so, have you tried any of it?
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jeff V wrote:
Kraken wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:21 pm ME Brewers Guild doesn't list Farm Island. Reddit says it's a Trader Joes private label contract-brewed by Peak Organic.
Sometimes you just have to love autocorrect...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 pm
I've tried their IPA at tastings and found it unremarkable. They do have a full lineup under their own name, but I haven't tried most of them. Maybe I'll look for the Spring IPA next week, since I haven't found any other spring seasonals that I like. Those who like piney IPAs would probably like Evergreen, but spruce tips are going overboard for me. They're one of the larger regional players, but the "organic" angle doesn't do anything for me.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I've had Peak Autumn on draft and it's a decent beer...pretty unremarkable, but very drinkable. I'm not likely to seek it out in the future, but there are much worse out there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lowering The Bar
Well, this is very disturbing.

Not the lawsuit—those don’t disturb me at this point—but the realization after all these years that “Guns N’ Roses” only has one apostrophe. Well, I guess they have always been outlaws.

But having the correct number of apostrophes seems unlikely to protect the brewer of “Guns ‘N’ Rosé” beer from allegations of trademark infringement leveled against it by the band, which filed the complaint below on May 9. According to CNN, the Colorado brewery tried to register its logo last year, but abandoned the application when the band opposed it. The lawsuit alleges GNR then asked the brewery to cease and desist, and while it seems to have agreed in general, it allegedly said it would continue to sell Guns ‘N’ Rosé beer and merchandise until March 2020. Presumably it has an existing inventory of that stuff that it’d like to sell through rather than just discard, but GNR’s position is likely that it should have thought about that before it started using the similar name.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Working my way through Sixpoint's latest brewery releases.

I'm currently having a Super Key Lime Raspy. Tart, sweet, and impressively smooth for the high-ish ABV. Almost too smooth, actually. I wouldn't mind if this set your hairs on edge a bit more.
Isgrimnur

Whatcha drinking?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ommegang Mother of Dragons.

If not now, when?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holiday weekend visit to Binny's. I went in search of Shiner IPA, listed in an email for a sale price of $9/12, cans or bottles but they had every Shiner flavor but that. Because there is a greater than zero chance of freeloaders stopping by this weekend, I picked up a Kona mix pack for $11 that came with a free large bottle of peanuts. For myself, I got a DYO six plus a six pack of:

Two Brothers Pinch of Grace, Warrenville, IL. The taphouse had a launch party for this on Tuesday, thought about going but was just too busy. It's an IPA with "citrus and vanilla." So yeah, it's Dreamsicle in beer form. Not too bad, I think though if I had a second right now the flavors would become background noise. 7% ABV is on the low side for a dessert beer, which is why I'm drinking it in the middle of the afternoon.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been enjoying a NEIPA called Save the Robots from a new-ish local brewer called Radiant Pig. It's not the best on the market, but it's very good, and it's only $10.99 per 4 at my packie, undercutting most of the competition. Yesterday a new mega-packie called Total Wine opened nearby; they have Save the Robots for the unheard-of price of $8.49. They undercut my packie by a buck or two on virtually everything, but the chain hasn't subverted my loyalty to my locally owned store...yet. Over the long run, their prices + selection + proximity are going to be hard to resist.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I once had a decent personal relationship with a local hooch hut. Then the bastard betrayed me by closing down and moving too far away to ever see him again. Once I was in the store, and he was talking to several attractive young ladies. Apparently they were asking about beers, and he immediately steered them toward me, telling them "this is the guy you want to talk too."

Next up is Sprecher Mai Bock lager, Sprecher Brewing, Glendale, WI. Sprecher has long been a favorite among Wisconsin Breweries (low bar, to be sure). Among the early guests to the Craft Beer party, when they first came on the scene I thought their beers were delicious but insanely overpriced. These days, not so much. Generally I have their beers in their restaurants whenever I'm visiting Milwaukee or the Dells, but this was in the DYO rack so for the first time in years, giving a bottle a try. Richly malted with a hint of honey, this is a delicious seasonal and I should probably buy more of it. 6% ABV is ok for a spring bock (would be a crime with a fall dopplebock, however).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How could you not try this on impulse? It's a VT brewer so it can't be bad, right?

Well, it's not, but it isn't especially good, either. All the crap floating in suspension is unappealing -- I've got like 1/8" of sediment in the bottom of my glass. Maybe because it uses oatmeal. The brewer's website didn't explain the name, but the page has a rainbow motif so maybe it's a gay IPA. Is that a thing now? I'm going to call this one a miss. Won't buy again.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm How could you not try this on impulse?
I see what you did there. :wink:

Working my way through a (large) tumbler of Four Roses bourbon. My first try with the Single Barrel.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've seen floating crap in weissbiers and Belgian dreck, usually it is yeast intentionally left unfiltered. As long as it's not too chunky, it's still drinkable unless the beer is otherwise crap (see: Belgian dreck).

Next up is Sleepy Dog Pale Ale, brewed locally in Warrenville, IL for a brewery in Tempe, AZ. If only Tgb was still around to find out why this is so. Despite the desert imagery, this is a tropical-flavored beer. More precisely, it's a beer flavored tropical drink. At an anemic 4.8% ABV, it can scarcely be considered beer at all. It does taste good, though.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ironica IPA by 5 Rabbit Brewing, Bedford Park, IL. 5 Rabbit is a brewery inclined toward Mexican style beers and imagery. And the label on this beer has an entertaining array of Mexican skulls in various states of distress - brick on the skull, snake weaving through the ey sockets, fork in the skull, t-square through the skull, giant screw, hand grenade, hammer, trident, sword, giant hole nail, circular saw blade, arrow and the deadliest of all - a cigarette. Now on to the beer. A mix of Azacca, Citra and Amaraillo gives this beer a natural floral and fruity flavor. No indication of any additives, thi is a very nice summer beer. At 6.7% ABV, it's perfect for relaxing on the patio, listening to music and yelling at the kids.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, the floaters don't impact flavor or even mouthfeel, really, as they disintegrate on contact. It's not like the beer is chunky or has pulp in it. They're just unappetizing to look at. Tolerable in a good beer, they count as a demerit in a meh beer.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:08 pm Next up is Sleepy Dog Pale Ale, brewed locally in Warrenville, IL for a brewery in Tempe, AZ. If only Tgb was still around to find out why this is so.
You will have to ask him about Dos Equis now.
mori

Post by mori »

mori wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:01 pm Combines a couple of OO favorites, alcohol and Breaking Bad.
Nice change of pace from beer. Not getting much lime but the agave mead is wonderful. It looks magical in the goblet as well.
Just had this again. This has to be one of the most lovely beverages to cross these lips. Just wonderful.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Whitewater Brewing Astrolabe Session IPA. Now that's my kind of IPA! Right on the can, it says Juicy Hops. Really good stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I interrupt the beers to ask a whiskey question. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions for rye?

You almost can't get bourbon or rye in Korea so I'm going to bring some back with me in August. My go to rye has been Bulleit so I'll certainly bring that. The question is what else to bring. The confounding variable is that we might be starting a whiskey tasting club so I'll be sharing it with others. I know that most rye is going to be cheaper than Scotch but I don't want to stand out as the cheapskate. On the other hand I don't want to spend money for no reason. Unforetunately I'll be in Georgia and Texas in July so it's not like I'm going to somewhere where I can expect to find local rye.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Michter's US1 Rye is delish.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wife enjoyed my grasshopper shakes I made the other night. 4 oz creme de menthe, 4 oz creme de cacao, and enough vanilla ice cream to thicken it all up. Made two pints per batch.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I got to try Phase Change by Lagunitas over the weekend. Hazy and wet hopped (!!) and oh so good.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Bronan Vermont Style IPA by High Water Brewing. It's got a rather unasssuming label on it with just a flower and not much information on the can. But wow, does this beer kick ass. It's probably the best example of this style we have in the region. Good stuff.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41306/179787/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:02 am I interrupt the beers to ask a whiskey question. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions for rye?

You almost can't get bourbon or rye in Korea so I'm going to bring some back with me in August. My go to rye has been Bulleit so I'll certainly bring that. The question is what else to bring. The confounding variable is that we might be starting a whiskey tasting club so I'll be sharing it with others. I know that most rye is going to be cheaper than Scotch but I don't want to stand out as the cheapskate. On the other hand I don't want to spend money for no reason. Unforetunately I'll be in Georgia and Texas in July so it's not like I'm going to somewhere where I can expect to find local rye.
I think this thread might be more to what you are looking for. WhistlePig, even though I have never tried it,I am told is the top of the pyramid of rye whiskey.
disarm

Post by disarm »

WhistlePig is excellent, even at its low end. I've had the 10-year many times, and the Boss Hog is top notch. The dint think you can go wrong with anything in their lineup.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So today, my wife's friend had a party and we were a good hour late arriving. I always BYOB since not a single one of her friends can be trusted to have anything potable. It's a 40 minute drive to this friend's house...and the route does not go past a single grocery or liquor store. I spent the party nursing a cup of coffee when the hostess kept badgering me to eat. Filipino food is not edible without beer, and it certainly doesn't go with coffee. My wife told her that's why I wasn't eating and she exclaims, "oh, I have beer!" She proceeds to get me a Miller High Life. I thanked her then hid the unopen can behind the kid's gift bags arrayed on a table. Moments later she asked if I wanted another. Uh...no thanks.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

It's the champagne of beers you heathen. CHAMPAGNE!
Spoiler:
But, yeah, it's awful.
Got a 4 pack of Toppling Goliath Hopsmack! for father's day. Generally I go for King Sue when I want their high gravity beers but this is quite good. Nice hazy double IPA. Not super high at 7.8. It's not a NEIPA as the haziness comes from sediment. Some sweetness and some hoppiness. Not as hoppy as Bells Hopslam. Actually, if you really want hops this isn't your beer. It's not very hoppy at all for a beer called hopsmack. I'd say more sweet overall. Still, I like the balance between the two. It's very drinkable over several beers.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni