>=$750k
23%
<I don't discuss this with peons
8%

Total votes: 102

Drazzil

Re: Net Worth

Post by Drazzil »

I'm reminded about the part of Black Jesus where the guys are trying to find money to find fertilizer [for weed] and one of the guys realizes all he poessessed in the world wouldn't purchase one two hundred pound bag of fertilizer.

"I'm literally not worth a bag of shit"
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shit is more expensive than you'd think.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:02 pm Shit is more expensive than you'd think.
:D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:49 pm
RunningMn9 wrote:
Rip wrote:Otherwise known as a ponzi scheme.
It's a pyramid scheme, that would have worked fine if we hadn't raided it to pay for other things, and we didn't have to deal with the unexpected bulge of the Baby Boomers.
The boom went from 1946-64. You'd think someone in the next 50 years would have expected us to retire.
To be fair, there was a good chance that you were all going to die in nuclear fireballs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote:One last thing. February of last year Pyperkub gave me acopy of YNAB. While I started out strong, it wasn't long before I dropped the ball. I feel I owe Pyper a huge apology. His generosity in this matter was significant, and I wasted it.

I'm very sorry Pyper.

With that said, it will be one of the tools I use moving forward, assuming I don't fall down again. So while I fully admit I wasted the opportunity, I also like to think it will still result in the benefit that it was intended.
No worries, I haven't used mine much either. The time and energy kills me. FWIW it was from a steam sale, so don't stress.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm
RunningMn9 wrote:
It's a pyramid scheme, that would have worked fine if we hadn't raided it to pay for other things, and we didn't have to deal with the unexpected bulge of the Baby Boomers.
The boom went from 1946-64. You'd think someone in the next 50 years would have expected us to retire.
To be fair, there was a good chance that you were all going to die in nuclear fireballs.
You kid, but I really grew up expecting that -- I never imagined that I would live to 62 (and still counting). Now that the end of civilization is not expected for another 20-30 years, I feel cheated out of an apocalypse.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm To be fair, there was a good chance that you were all going to die in nuclear fireballs.
Maybe that's what they were hoping for so there wouldn't be any 'splainin' to do with them being all safe and sound in their Greenbrier Resort bunker and all. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm
RunningMn9 wrote:
You kid, but I really grew up expecting that -- I never imagined that I would live to 62 (and still counting). Now that the end of civilization is not expected for another 20-30 years, I feel cheated out of an apocalypse.
I grew up in a military family in the 80s. It wasn’t a joke then, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You know, I don't think I ever actually answered this thread. If I take everything I own that's worth selling, including my car, add my savings, and subtract my student loans...

About -10k. And yes, that's a negative number.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Lets see here. The bad news is I have around 40k (that I still don't know if I'm going to be able to keep) and around 5k in a retirement account literally doing nothing. So I operate on the theory that I have nothing. Considering I'm going to be 37 years old this is a horrible state of affairs. The upside is I have zero debt zero student loans and will be headed to Portland soon. I will be on section 8 for a term of five years so hopefully rent wont be much of an issue.

I'm hoping to find a job where I can finally use my degree and pull down enough to save for a house. Fingers crossed.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm Lets see here. The bad news is I have around 40k (that I still don't know if I'm going to be able to keep) and around 5k in a retirement account literally doing nothing. So I operate on the theory that I have nothing. Considering I'm going to be 37 years old this is a horrible state of affairs. The upside is I have zero debt zero student loans and will be headed to Portland soon. I will be on section 8 for a term of five years so hopefully rent wont be much of an issue.

I'm hoping to find a job where I can finally use my degree and pull down enough to save for a house. Fingers crossed.
Put your retirement fund into a S&P 500 stock index and forget about it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm Lets see here. The bad news is I have around 40k (that I still don't know if I'm going to be able to keep) and around 5k in a retirement account literally doing nothing. So I operate on the theory that I have nothing. Considering I'm going to be 37 years old this is a horrible state of affairs. The upside is I have zero debt zero student loans and will be headed to Portland soon. I will be on section 8 for a term of five years so hopefully rent wont be much of an issue.

Put your retirement fund into a S&P 500 stock index and forget about it.
I'm a bit more diverse than that but SPY and VT(I?) have been by far the safest and most consistent performers for me both in my 401k and my personal portfolio. Makes me sad I took investor advice for so many years all of which somewhere between worse or flat out bad. Of course, not investor advice is that SPY is what it is because everyone is treating it as their safe retirement. If they're right and the boomers kill it with their mass retirements and withdraws, I'll be fooked again but I'm not sure what the alternative is. I've shown in my personal portfolio that I don't have what it takes to invest with "knowledge" and CDs are keeping their nose at inflation level, which are the only place to put money if you are wholly ignorant.

I'm hoping I'm on the five years horizon. I'd say it's time for me to figure out my 401k exit strategy but as long as I am employed there isn't one. I can't, for instance, just start putting money in to annuity that is more shielded from market risk. Their idea of shiedling is to invest in one or more of their bond funds. And I don't have a high opinion of the risk/reward for bond funds.