Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:10 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 pm
stessier wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 pm re: chicken nuggets/strips, I don't know how widespread Raising Cane's is, but for me the conversation ends there. It's the sauce... sorry stess.
I've never heard of that one
It started in Louisiana, and is working its way outwards.
Looks like there is one near Clemson. Not worth a special trip, but good to know.
Good chicken strips, bad fries, passable "toast" and good sauce. I don't do slaw so no opinion there. Definitely not worth a road trip.

Also, being honest, I am OK with mcdonald's nuggets, but primarily for the Hot Mustard sauce. There, I can annoy both stess and Isg with one comment!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can eat whatever sauce you want, doesn't bother me a bit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Del Taco now has tacos made with fake meat.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 pm Del Taco now has tacos made with fake meat.
closest one to me is 25 miles in the most far-flung Seattle suburb of Federal Way. : /

(also confusing, as a predominant fast-food burrito chain here is called Taco Del Mar)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm
Also, being honest, I am OK with mcdonald's nuggets, but primarily for the Hot Mustard sauce.
I literally thought to myself "you mf'er, McD's hasn't had hot mustard sauce in 2 decades!".

So are you fucking with me? The only thing keeping me from eating McD's nuggets is the lack of hot mustard. And I'm not kidding, it has been decades since I've seen it. If this is a regional thing and they just don't carry it in Canada (or the Ottawa region) I am going to be seriously pissed off.

I assumed they just stopped making it. I am seriously annoyed right now. Which is hilarious.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:38 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm
Also, being honest, I am OK with mcdonald's nuggets, but primarily for the Hot Mustard sauce.
I literally thought to myself "you mf'er, McD's hasn't had hot mustard sauce in 2 decades!".

So are you fucking with me? The only thing keeping me from eating McD's nuggets is the lack of hot mustard. And I'm not kidding, it has been decades since I've seen it. If this is a regional thing and they just don't carry it in Canada (or the Ottawa region) I am going to be seriously pissed off.

I assumed they just stopped making it. I am seriously annoyed right now. Which is hilarious.
Definitely still a thing here.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

My nephew works for Mcds. He owes me. Send me your address and ill send you hot mustard. 8-)
mori

Post by mori »

Never had a hot dog at BK or any other fast food chain. I am sometimes tempted when I see a chili dog available, but then I don't want diarrhea either.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

morlac wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 pm My nephew works for Mcds. He owes me. Send me your address and ill send you hot mustard. 8-)
The cost of shipping is an issue. You'd ship a crate of hot sauce and it would cost a mortgage payment.

Thanks for the thought though, that's very nice of you.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

mori wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:20 pm Never had a hot dog at BK or any other fast food chain. I am sometimes tempted when I see a chili dog available, but then I don't want diarrhea either.
I like the DQ chili dogs, god help me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Passed by an A&W today. Their fries are not bad, properly salted and thin kinda like McD's fries. But it's also a bit darker.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:16 pm
morlac wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 pm My nephew works for Mcds. He owes me. Send me your address and ill send you hot mustard. 8-)
The cost of shipping is an issue. You'd ship a crate of hot sauce and it would cost a mortgage payment.

This is some good stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Inglehoffer- ... /130001587 Not as good as the French brand Aldi had several years back, but good.

Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
morlac

Post by morlac »

I was more worried about Mounties confiscating a box full of hot mustard more than the cost.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, cost of shipping often is double the price of the item in question. Buying a $3 item is often hilarious. I don't shop at Thinkgeek for that very reason. Even if the price on an item is very good, the shipping will very often just kill any enthusiasm.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Business Insider
The Crispy Chicken Parmesan first entered the Burger King stage in 2017 hand-in-hand with the cast of " Jersey Shore," which reunited for a "family dinner" in an ad for the sandwich. It had a brief stint as a limited edition item on the chain's summer menu for two years before it was retired.

Now, it's back for a limited time — and with two new sister variations that allow customers to substitute their crispy chicken with grilled chicken or spicy crispy chicken.
We all agreed that the original Crispy Chicken Parmesan was by far the best. The Spicy Crispy Chicken Parmesan came in second at a respectable distance, while the Grilled Chicken Parmesan lagged far behind both. While the BK Chicken Parmesan Sandwich doesn't come close to Little Italy, we can agree with our fellow taste-testers in Burger King's video: It's not bad — eh, it's pretty good.
LordMortis

Re: Burger King (and the inevitable Chick-Fil-A discussion)

Post by LordMortis »

Mayo is a fine fine condiment for a burger. It's also a fine fine condiment to dip your fries in. Miracle Whip is even acceptable for a burger but it is not fine for fries.
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:01 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:28 pm I abhor Wendy's because they put mayonnaise on nearly every sandwich. Mayonnaise should be a request, NEVER a default. What kind of godless world do they think we live in where mayo is ASSUMED?
Dairy Queen puts mustard on their chili dogs as a default. It's a crime against nature.
Mustard and onions on a coney is the default. If you don't want them you ask for your coney without. Cheese is not the default. If you want cheese you would order your coney with. (and don't. Cheese on coney is a crime against nature)

http://www.todoroffs.com/tfi/Our_Histor ... landHotDog

OtOH, mustard and onions do not go on chili cheese fries.

Finally I once had chili dog from Dairy Queen outside of Denver once because that's where we pulled over to eat.. I'm not a coney snob, 95% of your assorted Coney Islands make a wonderful product that makes hot dogs worth eating but... Dairy Queen. no. They are... not good. To start if your hot dog if Ball Park Frank, you need to speak up, so I know not to order it. If the casing is mushy and doesn't "snap" when you cut or bite in to it. Then you are an imposter dog. That like trying to serve me a dog with a watery chili full of beans and hamburger chunks.

Off topic, I would try a BK Lounge Chicken Parm sandwich if one were in front of me. I don't know that I've ever had a BK crispy chicken sandwich before. So it gets no strikes or rave reviews. I will say their Pumpkin shake is actually better than Arby's mocha shake and I used to believe the Moch Shake was the king of all possible shakes.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Stop funding for NPR
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is kinda cute: Spurred by a sportsball rivalry, Boston and St Louis clash over cuisines.

As a long-term Boston transplant, I can aver that baked beans and clam chowder are tourist chow and there is no such fish as "schrod," and I cheerfully concur that toasted ravioli (T-rav) is awesome. Our best BBQ places struggle to match their mediocre ones. But busting on lobster rolls? Claiming that Bud Lite > Sam Adams? Is that really the best you can do, City of Bad Pizza and ruined bagels?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think I just about understood half of that. Are "Aver" and Shrod" local slang?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scrod
In the wholesale fish business, scrod is the smallest weight category of the major white fish.
Scrod is common in many coastal New England and Atlantic Canadian fish markets and restaurants, although using the name 'scrod' without the species is in principle mislabeling.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, I see. Over here, we tend to just call them whitefish, and in fact we have a nearby town named Whifefish, but that's a regional thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:33 amand I cheerfully concur that toasted ravioli (T-rav) is awesome.
If I ever go to a restaurant in NJ and they have "T-rav" on the menu, I'm standing up and immediately leaving.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 pm Oh, I see. Over here, we tend to just call them whitefish, and in fact we have a nearby town named Whifefish, but that's a regional thing.
Schrod (or scrod) used to be common on menus as a way for restaurants to serve whatever whitefish was the cheapest catch of the day. It was ubiquitous when we moved here 33 years ago. In today's foodie world where people want to know each fish's provenance, the term is rarely seen anymore.

"Aver" just means "put forth as true" -- avow or attest. I didn't realize it was an obscure word. Probably archaic, rather than a regionalism.

And t-rav is just plain delicious. Our favorite Italian place has had it on the menu continuously for 80 years, although I just discovered it 2-3 years ago. I think theirs is pan-fried rather than deep-fried, so it's probably not authentic St Louis t-rav.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 pm Oh, I see. Over here, we tend to just call them whitefish, and in fact we have a nearby town named Whifefish, but that's a regional thing.
Schrod (or scrod) used to be common on menus as a way for restaurants to serve whatever whitefish was the cheapest catch of the day. It was ubiquitous when we moved here 33 years ago. In today's foodie world where people want to know each fish's provenance, the term is rarely seen anymore.
Yeah, I kind of figured. Come to think of it, I think I've come across variations of the word in the past, but always with travel shows on TV visiting fishing regions. I guess it would be natural for those living in those regions to be more familiar with the word. Like I said, Whitefish has more or less become the same thing in this region, but all the same, people know what they're getting when referring to Whitefish.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Burger King has figured out how to serve Whoppers upside-down in 1980s-era packaging and turn that into a marketing opportunity.

In a partnership with Netflix's "Stranger Things," the hamburger chain announced it will soon sell an "Upside-Down Whopper" sandwich, which is just a regular Whopper served with the bottom of the bun on the top of the burger and the top of the bun on the bottom. It's just like a normal Whopper, but upside-down.

The Upside-Down is an alternative universe in "Stranger Things," a show set in the 1980s that centers around the lives of four adolescent boys and their friends. The new season premieres on the streaming service on July 4.

If the upside-down part of the promotion isn't grabbing people, the nostalgia factor might: The upside-down Whoppers will be served with Burger King's classic packaging from the mid-1980s.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That will make all you condiment on the bottom people happy.

I tried the Chicken Parm sandwich last night. It get pretty high marks for fast food. $5 was still too much for me for a fast food sandwich and eating fast food is still too much for my stomach and colon for me to warrant eating regularly but it would rank pretty high in the fast food foods world for me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm CNN
Burger King has figured out how to serve Whoppers upside-down
Thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars, on that brainchild. I keed, but that sentence makes me laugh at it's implications. It's a fun hobby of mine to turn to my kids and explain how someone got paid thousands of dollars for the incredibly stupid commercial they just witnessed. I am usually amused. They are often flabbergasted.

Don't get me wrong, advertising is *hard*. The failures that make their way to the public anyway are often amazing in their terribleness however.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, $5 is pretty standard pricing in Canada for fast-food.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm Huh, $5 is pretty standard pricing in Canada for fast-food.
That's $3.76 USD as of today. i.e. That 5 bucks LM is talking about is $6.65 CAD.

And that's just straight exchange rate, it doesn't cover the costs of working in a smaller market, smaller supply chains, corporate taxes, etc etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm CNN
Burger King has figured out how to serve Whoppers upside-down
Thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars, on that brainchild. I keed, but that sentence makes me laugh at it's implications. It's a fun hobby of mine to turn to my kids and explain how someone got paid thousands of dollars for the incredibly stupid commercial they just witnessed. I am usually amused. They are often flabbergasted.

Don't get me wrong, advertising is *hard*. The failures that make their way to the public anyway are often amazing in their terribleness however.
And they get paid quite well for it, as well.

Someone got paid to have Marty Brodeur eat a plate of poutine.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$5 is where many large sandwiches are around me for fast food as well without coupons or promos or whatever. If my digestive track and heart insisting I eat less fast food didn't take over, the pricing would step up and cut back my consumption anyway. The appeal of fast food is rarely the taste. It's the cost and convenience. If I'm paying $9 for sandwich, side, and drink I start deciding I can pack a sandwich or stop for something a bit nicer for only a marginal price increase.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm And they get paid quite well for it, as well.

Someone got paid to have Marty Brodeur eat a plate of poutine.
Well, good marketing is often just as or even more important than a quality product, so it's unsurprising they get paid well. That's what makes the failures that reach the public all the more funny, imo. The thousands spent that resulted in "put the whopper in the box upside down" as being the top idea is freakin' hilarious.

I'm not saying it won't work, and I'm not saying that that is all the market campaign is comprised of, but taken alone, that sentence I quoted (figured out how to...) is just too hilariously goofy for words.
naednek

Post by naednek »

sigh, BK still gets it wrong. Yes they finally understand the produce goes on the bottom. BUT WTF with the buns.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm Huh, $5 is pretty standard pricing in Canada for fast-food.
That's $3.76 USD as of today. i.e. That 5 bucks LM is talking about is $6.65 CAD.

And that's just straight exchange rate, it doesn't cover the costs of working in a smaller market, smaller supply chains, corporate taxes, etc etc.
Yeah, I mean, $3 over here is mainly when sales happen :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How much $CD are 2 Tim Horton Meat, Egg, and Cheese bagels? That's $4 USD. That's a reasonable fast food breakfast for $4. I can add 10 Timbits for another buck.

They'll rake you over the coals for a cup of coffee though, so brew mine from home.

Conversely, you can get a large cup of Joe at BK Lounge for $.50 right now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:05 pm How much $CD are 2 Tim Horton Meat, Egg, and Cheese bagels? That's $4 USD. That's a reasonable fast food breakfast for $4. I can add 10 Timbits for another buck.

They'll rake you over the coals for a cup of coffee though, so brew mine from home.

I think you're talking about the breakfast sandwich (which I get on a tea biscuit, but sometimes a bagel). I'm not near a Tim Hortons, their website doesn't list prices, and I don't trust 3rd party listings of prices, but at a guess I think $3-3.50ishCAD per bagel. So 4 or more bucks American for 1 (one!) bagel. You say you're getting two for that price? Very nice.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It is very nice. It's my preferred breakfast when I must get fast food and two of those big sandwiches is way more than I should eat. I tell myself I'll hold one for lunch or something to hold me over for lunch. And then I promptly eat the second sandwich because I'm stupid. This is to miss that they're actually a pretty good sandwich as well as a good deal.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:05 pm How much $CD are 2 Tim Horton Meat, Egg, and Cheese bagels? That's $4 USD. That's a reasonable fast food breakfast for $4. I can add 10 Timbits for another buck.

I think you're talking about the breakfast sandwich (which I get on a tea biscuit, but sometimes a bagel). I'm not near a Tim Hortons, their website doesn't list prices, and I don't trust 3rd party listings of prices, but at a guess I think $3-3.50ishCAD per bagel. So 4 or more bucks American for 1 (one!) bagel. You say you're getting two for that price? Very nice.

That sounds about right.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm
Lol, conversion is hard, apparently. my guess was $3-3.50CAD, which would be $2.25-2.63USD, not 4 bucks.

In any case, it looks like $4.19CAD in Ottawa, Ontario. I can't tell if it includes taxes or not. Which is $3.15USD for 1 breakfast sandwich on a bagel.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

For $3.50 US plus tax I can get two Checkerburgers or spicy chicken sandwiches, a small fry (really good fries unlike BKs), and a small coke. :idea: Maybe a side serving of Hep A free since it's in Florida. I was pretty brutal on my Hardee's survey the other day because they had no soap, and nobody did anything about it after I informed them of said fact.
Stop funding for NPR