NBA Post Season 2018-2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Re: NBA Post Season 2018-2019

Post by noxiousdog »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:17 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 pm That was a good game last night, but I wish I hadn’t made the decision at 11:30 CST to watch “the last few minutes” of the game. I didn’t get to bed until after 1:00.

The Rockets/Warriors game has been entertaining so far. But, at least this game, the Houston offense seemed much better in the first half when Harden wasn’t on the floor. I know this is what they’ve done all year, but when he’s out there he just dribbles at the top of the key for most of the possession. When Harden was out, Paul did a great job driving and dishing and getting everyone involved. Their defense also seemed more active when Harden was on the bench. Image
Your eyes are deceiving you. The Rocket's offensive rating drops from just under 115 to under 100 when Harden is off the floor. He's been a decent option guarding Durant (see reddit conversation) as compared to the rest of the team, but Durant has been easily the best player on the court these three games.

It might be Clint Capela that is making things look bad. The Rockets have been outscored by 44 points when he's on the floor and Clint rarely gets minutes without Harden. The closest Rocket to Capela is Gordon at -16.
Looks like Curry's injury is having a greater impact than Harden's. Curry must have missed 5-6 blow-by layups that he usually makes in the OT loss in Game 3, and his 3-pt shooting isn't what it usually is either.
Draymond Green's mom thinks it's just playoff Curry.

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Uh, don't look now but the Bucks lead the Celtics 3 games to 1. Fear the Deer!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Golden State Warriors announced Thursday that Mark Stevens, who owns a minority share of the team, will not attend the remaining games of the NBA Finals after he shoved Toronto Raptors guard Kyle Lowry from his courtside seat at Oracle Arena in the fourth quarter of Game 3. The NBA later said Stevens would not be permitted to attend NBA games as his conduct is reviewed.
The team added that it will continue to review the incident. The NBA said it is also investigating, and “there could be further discipline from the league in addition to what the Warriors have already done,” ESPN reported.
Chasing down a loose ball, Lowry went flying into the stands early in the fourth quarter Wednesday night. While the guard was attempting to regain his footing, Stevens gave him a shove to his shoulder. A team spokesman told the Associated Press after the game that the fan — not yet identified as Stevens — had been ejected.

Afterward, Lowry said Stevens accompanied his shove with some unkind and profane words.

“There’s no place for that,” he said. “He had no reason to touch me. He had no reason to reach over two seats and then say some vulgar language to me. There’s no place for people like that in our league.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

He must have picked up tips from Draymond.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Roman

Post by Roman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:00 pm WaPo
The Golden State Warriors announced Thursday that Mark Stevens, who owns a minority share of the team, will not attend the remaining games of the NBA Finals after he shoved Toronto Raptors guard Kyle Lowry from his courtside seat at Oracle Arena in the fourth quarter of Game 3. The NBA later said Stevens would not be permitted to attend NBA games as his conduct is reviewed.
The team added that it will continue to review the incident. The NBA said it is also investigating, and “there could be further discipline from the league in addition to what the Warriors have already done,” ESPN reported.
Chasing down a loose ball, Lowry went flying into the stands early in the fourth quarter Wednesday night. While the guard was attempting to regain his footing, Stevens gave him a shove to his shoulder. A team spokesman told the Associated Press after the game that the fan — not yet identified as Stevens — had been ejected.

Afterward, Lowry said Stevens accompanied his shove with some unkind and profane words.

“There’s no place for that,” he said. “He had no reason to touch me. He had no reason to reach over two seats and then say some vulgar language to me. There’s no place for people like that in our league.”
He was also suspended for 1yr and $500k fine
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Deplorable at the OracleTM
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forbes
Stevens, whose net worth Forbes estimates at $2.3 billion, is a longtime Silicon Valley venture capitalist. He spent two years on the technical staff at Hughes Aircraft followed by five years as a salesman at semiconductor firm Intel Corp. before joining Sequoia Capital in 1989 as an associate. He became a partner four years later. In his two decades at Sequoia, the storied VC firm invested in several tech titans, including Google, PayPal and LinkedIn. Stevens specialized in semiconductors, networking systems and software.

He joined the ranks of the Forbes 400—the annual list of the 400 wealthiest individuals in America—in 2011 with an estimated net worth of $1.1 billion, thanks to LinkedIn's IPO in May that year.

He left Sequoia in March 2012 (though he remains a special limited partner, according to his biography) to start his own firm and family office, S-Cubed Capital. Founded in April 2012, his firm invests in technology, financial asset management, sports management, agribusiness, and real estate.

Stevens is currently on the boards of Nvidia, a chip maker, Second Spectrum, a sports-video-focused machine learning startup, and Innovium, a chip maker for data centers. He is also on the Board of Trustees at University of Southern California and on the Dean's Advisory Board at Harvard Business School.

A philanthropist, Stevens has signed the Giving Pledge, created by billionaires Bill Gates and Warren Buffett to get America’s wealthiest individuals to give away more than half of their wealth to charity. S-Cubed Capital also manages the family’s philanthropy, with focus areas in education, environment and research universities.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Radio said he had a pretty sincere apology this morning. I'm of mixed feelings. If dude weren't who he was, he'd be banned for life. With who he is, he should be held to an even higher standard than that.... But even as someone with a very firm no assault policy for every aspect of life, I know people get emotionally juiced and completely irrational about sports and then quickly come to their faculty. He did (relatively) quickly come to his senses and reportedly seemed sincere... But then you add all the Drake crap this playoffs and I dunno... It would seem the NBA need to figure something out about this court side seating.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/07/ ... wry-shove/
naednek

Post by naednek »

umm yea Raptors?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Glad the Raptors won. Too bad Kevin Durant went down with an (most likely torn) Achilles injury - the same thing that essentially ended Kobe's career. End of a dynasty? Perhaps.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 am Too bad Kevin Durant went down with an (most likely torn) Achilles injury
Durant ruptured his Achilles, had surgery on it Monday. Klay tore his ACL last night as well.

Full credit to the Raptors, but I would have liked to have seen the Warriors at full strength. They looked awfully tired at the end of that game last night, but still nearly pulled it out.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was surprised to hear this was still going on. Around here the season was over when the Bulls "won" a 2020 lottery spot in the 2019 draft lottery.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If you had told me at the beginning of the playoffs that by the end I would feel sorry for the Warriors, I wouldn’t have believed you. But.... I feel sorry for the Warriors. To have two great players go down with not just injuries that kept them out of the playoffs but ones that may keep them out all of next year is devastating. Klay was almost single-handily bearing the Raptors last night. Don’t know if they would’ve won last night or in a potential game seven, but they would’ve had a chance.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I feel like they sacrificed their players to win this championship. Klay already had an injury as did KD. And now their injuries are severe. I don't like that, neither player should have been playing in my opinion.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SFGate
As Ann Killion wrote in the San Francisco Chronicle, Warriors General Manager Bob Myers and head coach Steve Kerr have repeatedly said the decision to play Durant in Game 5 was "collaborative, cumulative and detailed."

"That collaboration included Kevin and his business partner, Rich Kleiman, our medical staff, his own outside second-opinion doctor," Kerr said Wednesday. "Kevin checked all the boxes and he was cleared to play by everyone involved."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's hard to see how the decision to play Durant in game 5 wasn't reckless, though presumably Durant himself consented to the decision.

The decision to play Thompson seems far more defensible.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If he's medically cleared to play, then I don't really see the issue with it. Of course, it's easy to second guess. What I don't know, however, is if his original injury, which they always just called a calf injury, involved the achilles. If not, then I'm not sure I can blame them for not expecting such a serious issue on a re-injury.

As for Klay, his injury was just a freak occurrence when he just landed awkwardly. I haven't heard anything to suggest that his hamstring tweak the week prior made an ACL tear more likely.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

They will never say 'we needed the championship so we made him/them play' so I don’t put much faith in what the Warriors say. And players always want to play if there’s any chance they can help.

Like I said it’s a feeling and an opinion that I have, we'll never know if I’m right.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's indicative of believing the worst of people however. If they were like you think, they would have tried to play Klay after the injury.

I've torn both of my ACL's, one was so bad I couldn't walk on it immediately, the other just didn't feel right and I could still run and jump on it. I had an mri done on it and confirmed the tear , but didn't have insurance at the time. A couple of years later, I had insurance and went to take care of it. One doctor said it wasn't torn and I just needed therapy (I couldn't find my mri). I went to another doctor (again without the mri) and he immediately could tell it was torn and was ready to schedule surgery within 5 minutes.

I stuck with the second, and he did a great job on it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klay injured his hamstring. They played him after a one game rest. The Warriors say their outlook hasn’t changed for either of them which is a positive.

At any rate the Lakers now have Davis with a promise of Davis signing with them in 2020. We'll have to see if that happens.
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kawhi is the best player in the world. Tell me I’m wrong.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Lakers are selling the farm and their future for the chance to win now. If they don’t win in the next two/three years (or whenever Lebron leaves/retires), I’m not sure how this trade can be anything but a disaster for them. I’m not actually that high on either Ball or Ingram, but adding three first round picks on top of those players just seems crazy to me. And while I know that other teams were also trying to make a deal for Davis, it’s not like the Pelicans were in a position of strength; he had made it known he was not going to resign with them after next year. All that said, the Lakers should be a fun team to watch next year. And with the Warriors depleted, a bunch of teams have a shot at winning the title.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Congrats to the Raptors on a nice series.

Thrilled to see the Lakers mortgage the future on a risky bet for next year. I predict they lose the conference finals and Davis walks. lakers collapse into another decade of suckitude.

Hurray!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Lakers will literally be down to LeBron, Davis, Kuzma, and a sack of money. Will be interesting to see what they do with that sack, but could also be an opportunity for some D leaguers to make the roster.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

AD to the Lakers....

I love the trade. I really do. I hate seeing ingram go, that part hurts the most. Love seeing Lonzo go (Great D and hustle overall but hate the shit show his father brings), the draft haul is impressive. BUT...the Lakers got a bona fide star in his prime for the next 7 years or so. That sound you heard was two things 1. The championship window slamming wide open 2. the collective groan of the NBA knowing the Lakeshow is coming.

The Lakers only have 6 people on their roster now. Lebron, Kuzma, Davis, Bonga (back up PG, there was some hype around him on local sports radio, havent seen enough to say wether he's good; real young 19/20), Mo Wagner (Center/Forward, supposed sweet shooter), and Jeremio Jones (no idea).

So basically they need a whole team, they have between 27-32M in cap space. How do they do it?

I wonder if they will be able to entice a big star to take a pay cut...say kawhi to come for 18M or so, to leave a little left to fill in the roster. Could they get two with both taking a short term contract, to enable a larger roster to be filled out with competent players? (Kyrie, Kawhi) Or hell lets go big...(Kyrie, Kawhi, and Kemba!) They still need to get 4-5 more role players. They need a back up center or two. And they need shooters. Shooters, Shooters.

I hate how top heavy we are, because if both Bron and Davis go down, very little to carry the team forward as of today.

In all seriousness, the lakers really have only 3 people on the roster, and need to add in a team (Bron, Davis & Kuzma). Now the hard work really gets started, and to be honest its gonna be fun to listen to sports radio locally as they hypothesize who is coming and who isn't. Really am looking forward to see what shakes out now. I am betting there is another move in the offing, Lebron's been working hard on this.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Klay injured his hamstring. They played him after a one game rest. The Warriors say their outlook hasn’t changed for either of them which is a positive.

At any rate the Lakers now have Davis with a promise of Davis signing with them in 2020. We'll have to see if that happens.
Hamstring has nothing to do with the acl tear in game 6.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Newcastle wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 am

I love the trade. I really do. I hate seeing ingram go, that part hurts the most. Love seeing Lonzo go (Great D and hustle overall but hate the shit show his father brings), the draft haul is impressive. BUT...the Lakers got a bona fide star in his prime for the next 7 years or so. That sound you heard was two things 1. The championship window slamming wide open 2. the collective groan of the NBA knowing the Lakeshow is coming.
Prime LeBron, Prime DWade AND Prime Chris Bosh got absolutely destroyed by a Spurs team with a still-improving Kawhi, a decrepit Duncan and a pair of mid-30's HOF guards on the way downside of their career. AD couldn't do anything with Jrue Holiday. You're insane.

Newcastle wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 amI wonder if they will be able to entice a big star to take a pay cut...say kawhi to come for 18M or so,
You've got a better chance of LBJ going to the Clips to chase a ring on Kawhi's team. ;)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Shots have been fired at the parade in Toronto. Sounds like at least one person has been hit.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
geezer

Post by geezer »

geezer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:01 pm
Newcastle wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 am

Prime LeBron, Prime DWade AND Prime Chris Bosh got absolutely destroyed by a Spurs team with a still-improving Kawhi, a decrepit Duncan and a pair of mid-30's HOF guards on the way downside of their career. AD couldn't do anything with Jrue Holiday. You're insane.

Newcastle wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 amI wonder if they will be able to entice a big star to take a pay cut...say kawhi to come for 18M or so,
You've got a better chance of LBJ going to the Clips to chase a ring on Kawhi's team. ;)
Huh.. Maybe I was wrong. It may be interesting watching the Lakers play 4 on 5 all year. ;)
Rip

Post by Rip »

This will be the most competitive NBA season on some time.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:30 am This will be the most competitive NBA season on some time.
Agreed, what a crazy offseason. My team (Hawks) stuck to their process and did not participate in any FA shenanigans. I love our young core but damn it was hard watching all that talent change cities.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:30 am This will be the most competitive NBA season on some time.
The 2018/19 season? Easy to say in hindsight.

There was no pro basketball here this season. That directly led to ignoring the rest.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

No Kawhi Leonard, but the Lakers sign DeMarcus Cousins, a guy who spurned the Mitch Kupchak led Lakers (IIRC Mitch had trouble pronouncing his first name). But a couple of serious injuries have humbled him to the point of signing a minimum contract. Rounding out the roster:
They quickly signed Danny Green and re-signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, JaVale McGee and Rajon Rondo. Previously to that, they signed Troy Daniels and Jared Dudley. Avery Bradley was also signed after he was waived by the Memphis Grizzlies.
I'm not a Rondo fan but he surprised me a bit last year, and they need a point guard.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:00 pm No Kawhi Leonard, but the Lakers sign DeMarcus Cousins, a guy who spurned the Mitch Kupchak led Lakers (IIRC Mitch had trouble pronouncing his first name). But a couple of serious injuries have humbled him to the point of signing a minimum contract. Rounding out the roster:
They quickly signed Danny Green and re-signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, JaVale McGee and Rajon Rondo. Previously to that, they signed Troy Daniels and Jared Dudley. Avery Bradley was also signed after he was waived by the Memphis Grizzlies.
I'm not a Rondo fan but he surprised me a bit last year, and they need a point guard.
Lakers are still a clear Tier 2 team in the West. They'll be fighting with San Antonio and Portland for those 6, 7 & 8 spots. Rockets and GSW are probably ahead of them, and Denver, Utah and the Clips are the class of the conference.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

geezer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:00 pm No Kawhi Leonard, but the Lakers sign DeMarcus Cousins, a guy who spurned the Mitch Kupchak led Lakers (IIRC Mitch had trouble pronouncing his first name). But a couple of serious injuries have humbled him to the point of signing a minimum contract. Rounding out the roster:
Lakers are still a clear Tier 2 team in the West. They'll be fighting with San Antonio and Portland for those 6, 7 & 8 spots. Rockets and GSW are probably ahead of them, and Denver, Utah and the Clips are the class of the conference.
This is not what the pundits I hear on the radio saying.
Hodor.
geezer

Post by geezer »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:47 pm
geezer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 pm
This is not what the pundits I hear on the radio saying.
Yeah - lots of people think AD + LBJ makes a team. I'm dubious. AD has never ben able to put his team into contention, much less over the hump, and LBJ doesn't have a cupcake conference to run wins up on in the West.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It’s pretty hard to see that the Laker’s won’t be competing for a top seed in the West, assuming everyone stays healthy. LeBron + AD is arguably the best two player combo in the league (Harden & Westbrook is the other main contender IMO, but I’ll need to see how they work together first) and they’ve surprisingly managed to build up a decent 7-8 man roster, at least. Danny Green is a shooter and top-notch defender. Kuzma is a solid third option. Rondo is, well, Rondo. And Cousins is not a bad option coming off the bench, especially if he can get close to his pre-injury form. The West is tough, but dismissing them as second tier seems crazy to me.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wait a minute, I thought Harden left OKC because he didn't want to share the ball with Westbrook. Plus I think Chris Paul is washed up, so OKC will sink to the bottom.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Pretty amazing to look back at the old OKC team. They had three of the last five players to win the MVP on one team!
Black Lives Matter