The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 pm I'm kind of wondering if Pelosi's strategy is to slow-roll the process until impeachment hearings dominate the campaign season, setting the stage for November and denying the senate a chance to acquit until after the election.
It could be but I honestly think they simply are unable to control the story, they know that, and are too afraid of the risks. I almost dont blame them for their inability to do so. Especially with journalism dying in front of our eyes.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Does anyone think that maybe the polls are reflecting a reluctance to impeach because (1) as put forth very well by Grif, it’s pointless with this divided Congress; and/or (2) Americans are very hesitant to kick a duly elected president out of office?

Trump sucks. He’s literally the worst. But he won the election and is the President. Without a smoking gun that he committed a serious crime (not one that he committed a n broad daylight), most Americans would rather vote him out than have Congress (also super shitty and not respected as an institution) decide his fate.

I feel in my gut that impeachment is the wrong way to go if we want to get rid of Trump. And this whole “Constitutional duty to impeach” argument is total and complete bunk given the current state of play. But I still find a part of myself hoping Pelosi goes forward with impeachment. That’s how much I hate Trump. But that’s the lizard brain talking.

Impeachment is a dead end and not helpful if the goal is to make Trump no more than a 1 term President.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 pmTrump sucks. He’s literally the worst. But he won the election and is the President. Without a smoking gun that he committed a serious crime (not one that he committed a n broad daylight), most Americans would rather vote him out than have Congress (also super shitty and not respected as an institution) decide his fate.
There is a smoking gun. The Mueller report details several crimes. As analyzed by over a 1000 former prosecutors now.
I feel in my gut that impeachment is the wrong way to go if we want to get rid of Trump. And this whole “Constitutional duty to impeach” argument is total and complete bunk given the current state of play. But I still find a part of myself hoping Pelosi goes forward with impeachment. That’s how much I hate Trump. But that’s the lizard brain talking.
I agree that it isnt a duty. Instead it is moreso an ethical imperative. We have explicit evidence of crimes documented, essentially referred to Congress for this purpose, and only one way to attempt to provide justice to the wronged party (the America people).
Impeachment is a dead end and not helpful if the goal is to make Trump no more than a 1 term President.
Maybe but not trying essentially cedes criminality as an implicit power of the White House. That should be scary to everyone. It is more than just removal of a President at stake.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:43 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:22 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:06 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:38 pm That's being naive. What does "putting them on the record" really do?
"My opponent actually voted to acquit Trump despite -overwhelming- evidence of his crimes" is much stronger than "My opponent likes Trump."
Again, who are you going to convince? Republicans support him with 90% favorability. Democrats hate just as much. You've yet to explain how exactly this will move the needle in any significant way. You need to show that impeachment will move the needle for any significant or important group of voters. So far no one has done that.
Are there only two kinds of voter?

The independents are everything, and most of them are low-information enough that a sustained impeachment inquiry could seriously educate them. Most Americans know very little of the facts discussed by politically engaged types.

Also, I support the tools of justice being employed for the sake of justice.
Unfortunately for this argument, independent doesn't mean undecided, and they aren't split down the middle. They are strongly against impeachment. Are they persuadable? Maybe, IF Democrats can convince them that impeachment isn't a political power play. That's where Pelosi's insistence on building an airtight case on clear and overwhelming evidence comes in.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 pm Does anyone think that maybe the polls are reflecting a reluctance to impeach because (1) as put forth very well by Grif, it’s pointless with this divided Congress; and/or (2) Americans are very hesitant to kick a duly elected president out of office?
No.

Nixon polled better than drumpf is currently.

malchior has the rest covered.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 am Nancy rocks! Eyes on the ball!
Pelosi has long argued that certain conditions must be met before Democrats begin impeachment — public support and strong bipartisan backing, neither of which have so far materialized.
Both are essentially impossible. Public support is around 41% right now. 20% more than Nixon before impeachment hearing began and they didn't have the evidence laid out the same way as the Mueller report has. They only had vague outlines. *AND* bipartisan support. Preposterous. She has set impossible conditions and I think she will be eventually seen as on the wrong side of history on this one. I think we are seeing the crack's here. In effect, I have to believe the story that Nadler is fighting with Pelosi over this was intentionally put out there. She has most of leadership behind her right now but she risks splitting the caucus if this turns into a backroom fight. Especially if the investigatory process drags out without results.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

“I don’t want to see him impeached, I want to see him in prison,” Pelosi said, according to multiple Democratic sources familiar with the meeting. Instead of impeachment, Pelosi still prefers to see Trump defeated at the ballot box and then prosecuted for his alleged crimes, according to the sources.
The perfect is the enemy of the good.

He can still go to prison if he is impeached but she wants him in jail in 2021. So that's the only path.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

There's a strong chance of a pardon if he's impeached and Pence takes office.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am There's a strong chance of a pardon if he's impeached and Pence takes office.
If he's impeached and [?]. Because just impeachment wouldn't lead to Pence in office, right? Or is it the preemptive pardon were talking about where Trump resigns and Pence pardons him for all potential charges? I'd imagine the criminal case would go way past Pence's tenure but if he can do the preemptive pardon...

Also, what about the NY AG case? No presidential pardon works there AFAIK.

Impeach the guy, win 2020, send him to prison. How are these mutually exclusive?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I meant impeachment and removal, obviously.

And I forgot about state crimes, although I'm sure they'd try to make an argument a president can pardon for state crimes, too.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 am I meant impeachment and removal, obviously.

And I forgot about state crimes, although I'm sure they'd try to make an argument a president can pardon for state crimes, too.
OK, so say NY orders him released but oooopsie, he is sent to the execution chamber instead. Can those responsible for this obviously innocent administrative error be pardoned from any wrongdoing?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee said Monday that he has reached a deal with the Justice Department to obtain “key evidence” related to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into whether President Trump obstructed justice.

The deal, announced by Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), appears to forestall contempt proceedings against Attorney General William P. Barr, who has been locked in a standoff with Nadler and House Democratic leaders over access to redacted parts of Mueller’s report as well as evidence gathered during his two-year investigation.

Nadler said in a statement that the Justice Department would be “opening Robert S. Mueller III’s most important files to us, providing us with key evidence that the Special Counsel used to assess whether the President and others obstructed justice or were engaged in other misconduct.”
The House is expected to proceed with a vote Tuesday on legislation authorizing the Judiciary Committee to seek court enforcement of its subpoenas. The committee said Monday that further action could be necessary to secure documents and testimony not covered under the new agreement.

The agreement does not address the committee’s request for testimony from former White House Counsel Donald McGahn — a key source for Mueller’s report who has declined to testify, citing the wishes of Trump administration lawyers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nothing to see here. Nothing at all odd about the number two person at DOJ personally intervening to keep Manafort from being transferred to Rikers.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nothing will be done about it.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 pm Nothing to see here. Nothing at all odd about the number two person at DOJ personally intervening to keep Manafort from being transferred to Rikers.
And here's the letter that was sent:

and the reponse (linked PDF)

You're right - this is totally normal. Nothing to see here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just business as usual while the White House lawyer objects to questions being asked of Hope Hicks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

These investigations are totally going to get to the bottom of things! Plus the press will definitely tell this story in a cohesive manner that explains the oddity of these tactics. Oh these weren't televised? I'm shocked, super shocked actually that the Dems are getting rolled by these guys...
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:36 pm These investigations are totally going to get to the bottom of things! Plus the press will definitely tell this story in a cohesive manner that explains the oddity of these tactics...
It's ok - all we have to do is label these hearings as impeachment hearings and suddenly everyone will get more cooperative. It's foolproof!
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:36 pm These investigations are totally going to get to the bottom of things! Plus the press will definitely tell this story in a cohesive manner that explains the oddity of these tactics...
It's ok - all we have to do is label these hearings as impeachment hearings and suddenly everyone will get more cooperative. It's foolproof!
They would be covered wall to wall and certainly televised. But yeah these committees getting no cooperation in closed door sessions and yelling at empty chairs is totally effective in any way.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 am Just business as usual while the White House lawyer objects to questions being asked of Hope Hicks.
She's probably saving it for her sure-to-be-blockbuster tell-all book.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm
They would be covered wall to wall and certainly televised. But yeah these committees getting no cooperation in closed door sessions and yelling at empty chairs is totally effective in any way.
They can require that the hearings be public anyhow - not really sure why they didn't here. I would assume that given this response they will be less likely to have closed door hearings in the future.

Also while I am confident that an impeachment trial would get wall-to-wall coverage (though I expect that McConnell would keep cameras out of the impeachment trial), I am more skeptical that pre-impeachment hearings would get marginally different or more coverage.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You want to know what would get coverage? You want to know what would make a difference? Putting Trump in front of the committee and having him testify. That is what America needs to see.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm You want to know what would get coverage? You want to know what would make a difference? Putting Trump in front of the committee and having him testify. That is what America needs to see.
100% agree. Trump would never voluntarily agree to appear, of course, but that's exactly the kind of battle that is worth fighting.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm You want to know what would get coverage? You want to know what would make a difference? Putting Trump in front of the committee and having him testify. That is what America needs to see.
100% agree. Trump would never voluntarily agree to appear, of course, but that's exactly the kind of battle that is worth fighting.
I disagree - I think he would totally agree. He thinks he's smarter than everyone and can talk his way out of anything. And I think every lawyer and administration official he has would throw their bodies in front of it to keep it from happening.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If Hillary can do it...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm
I disagree - I think he would totally agree. He thinks he's smarter than everyone and can talk his way out of anything. And I think every lawyer and administration official he has would throw their bodies in front of it to keep it from happening.
They managed to keep him from talking with Mueller's office, so I expect that they will be able to keep from agreeing to testify other than under legal compulsion (and who knows even then). But the 1% chance that he rushes into testimony is an upside.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There's not enough popcorn in the world for that eventuality.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm
This. By most accounts, the overwhelming reason he wasn't allowed to testify in person with Mueller is because his lawyers, family, friends, people outside a mall in Peoria, fictional characters from Disney films and house cats all know he'd perjure himself before he was even seated.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All we need to do is tell him that he'd set records with the ratings - it would be the most watched TV show in the history of America, maybe more than the Superbowl. Nothing would make me happier than to watch him testify and answer questions lasered in by professionals. Nothing.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like Roger Stone could be waiting out the start of his trial from jail if prosecutors have their way:
"In the past several days, Stone posted statements on social media about this case and the special counsel's investigation and appears to have specifically targeted those posts at major media outlets," prosecutors said in a court filing Thursday.
"On or about June 18 and 19, 2019, the defendant posted to Instagram and Facebook, commenting about this case and inviting news organizations to cover the issue," prosecutors wrote. "This is a violation of the current conditions of release."
Stone was barred by Judge Amy Berman Jackson from making public statements about his case in February, after he posted on Instagram a photo of the judge with crosshairs behind her head. He apologized to Jackson, but she still warned him of severe consequences if he crossed the line of the court's orders.

A violation of his bail terms, which allow him to live at home in Florida, could mean Stone could await his November trial from jail, depending on how Jackson responds to the prosecutors' request Thursday.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Goddammit, this is why you do public hearings.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 pmGoddammit, this is why you do public hearings.
In that case she just wouldn't have shown up. It isn't like there are any consequences.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More calls for Impeachment from those who actually have a say in the matter:
Today, U.S. Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (FL-26), member of the Judiciary Committee, issued the following statement regarding the House opening an impeachment inquiry:

“I did not run for office to impeach the President. I ran to lower health care costs, protect our communities from gun violence, and preserve our environment. While my constituents entrusted me to fight for them on these issues every day, they also entrusted me to represent them, protect their rights, and uphold the Constitution.

“As a member of the House Judiciary Committee, I have a heightened sense of duty to be a check and balance on this Administration. In this capacity, I have spent countless hours reading Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report, analyzing the evidence on which the report is based, and listening to the testimony of constitutional experts, prosecutors, and some of the report’s key players.

“Mueller’s report recounts ten clear and unmistakable attempts by the President to attack the rule of law and obstruct the fair administration of justice. There is an undeniable pattern in the President’s actions that reveals his willingness to lie to the American people, his willingness to place his own interests above those of our democracy, and his willingness to break the law for his personal gain.

“Mueller confirmed these facts in writing.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good luck with that, he didnt' testify for Mueller, what makes you think this will ever happen? :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mueller to testify publicly on July 17.

A somewhat interesting development, although expect it to be nothing but a "NO OBSTRUCTION!! NO COLLUSION!!" circus.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 pm Mueller to testify publicly on July 17.

A somewhat interesting development, although expect it to be nothing but a "NO OBSTRUCTION!! NO COLLUSION!!" circus.
It's going to be a double-header: testimony before the Intel committee and before the Judiciary committee, both the same day, with a closed session after.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

So have those two committees got their hands on the unredacted report?

if not, it might be a very boring q&a session.

"question"
"the answer to that questions is fully laid out in the report I submitted"

"followup question"
"the answer to that question is also fully laid out in the report I submitted"
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:53 pm So have those two committees got their hands on the unredacted report?

if not, it might be a very boring q&a session.

"question"
"the answer to that questions is fully laid out in the report I submitted"

"followup question"
"the answer to that question is also fully laid out in the report I submitted"
Second followup:
Since President Trump obstructed us from getting the unredacted report, please enlighten us.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Democrat-led House Ways and Means Committee filed a lawsuit on Tuesday to enforce subpoenas and obtain President Donald Trump's tax returns, an escalation in a fight for the President's personal financial information.

The lawsuit was filed in D.C. District Court against Treasury and the IRS and their respective leaders, Steve Mnuchin and Charles Rettig.

House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal is seeking the President's tax returns using a little-known IRS provision known as 6103, which allows the Chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee to request and obtain an individual's tax information for a legitimate legislative purpose.