The Global Warming Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: The Global Warming Thread

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:31 am When sea levels rise, the ones with the boats are sitting pretty.
Shaka, when the seas rose. His arms crossed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

When I think about climate change, I rage with hatred towards my parents and everyone of their generation. And then I think about how my fiancé and I probably shouldn't adopt a child or do anything to encourage another child to exist in the world. And then I think about killing myself. And then I try to think about something else.

There's really no hope on this one.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fireball wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pmThere's really no hope on this one.
Your name, our planet.

Everyone over 80: :lol:
Everyone under 20: :o
Black Lives Matter

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 pm
Fireball wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pmThere's really no hope on this one.
Your name, our planet.

Everyone over 80: :lol:
Everyone under 20: :o
Yeah, were all screwed. Unless you're in the .01 then you will be isolated and insulated against what's going to kill the rest of us and will be making shit tons of money safe in Alaska or the poles.

:grund:
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Fireball wrote:When I think about climate change, I rage with hatred towards my parents and everyone of their generation. And then I think about how my fiancé and I probably shouldn't adopt a child or do anything to encourage another child to exist in the world. And then I think about killing myself. And then I try to think about something else.

There's really no hope on this one.
Well, I'm happy that there are others who are willing to fight. A warmer Earth is inevitable but that doesn't mean that we don't try to figure out how to live in that new world.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kinda cool that scientists figured out where "ozone destorying" chemicals (CFCs) that were banned but suddenly reappeared came from:
The recovery of the stratospheric ozone layer relies on the continued decline in the atmospheric concentrations of ozone-depleting gases such as chlorofluorocarbons1. The atmospheric concentration of trichlorofluoromethane (CFC-11), the second-most abundant chlorofluorocarbon, has declined substantially since the mid-1990s2. A recently reported slowdown in the decline of the atmospheric concentration of CFC-11 after 2012, however, suggests that global emissions have increased3,4.
Spoiler:
It's China
Data point as to why we should all be concerned about what happens on this planet - not just inside our borders. For people that want less technical and more narrative, you can read about it in a BBC article from last year, mainly what the CFC-11 is being used for; I had no idea.
CFC-11 makes a very efficient "blowing agent" for polyurethane foam, helping it to expand into rigid thermal insulation that's used in houses to cut energy bills and reduce carbon emissions.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DNC doesn't think climate change is worth debating for 2020:
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Wednesday the Democratic National Committee informed him it will not dedicate one of its presidential primary debates to the issue of climate change.

The decision comes despite a furious push from progressive and environmental advocates for a climate change debate, as well as strong support across the Democratic ideological spectrum. At least half a dozen Democratic candidates, including Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) and former Obama cabinet official Julián Castro, have backed the idea.
Seems reasonable.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Everybody dies.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If America is to survive for another generation, it needs to overcome three crises:

1. Trump and Trumpism (or authoritarianism, nationalism, totalitarianism, or whatever spin you want to give it);
2. Inequality, autocracy, and the declining middle class; and
3. Climate change and the great extinction.

Those are ranked by both immediacy and tractability. Certainly, we need to be discussing all of them, urgently and simultaneously, but we can't make any progress on #2 and 3 without solving #1.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Number 1 is a symptom of number 2. It also smells like one.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

1 is also a result of push-back against change. Or, rather, those who represent #1 are using the resentment brought about by change to control the people who give them power.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Its 100+ degrees in Berdoo today. Summer is here.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 pm DNC doesn't think climate change is worth debating
Single-issue debates are generally a bad idea. Dramatically fewer people would watch them, the more credible candidates will skip them because schedules are packed and if you have one single-issue debate demands will grow that you do more and more and more of them. It’s better to have thematic debates that cover large sets of topic areas.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fireball wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 pm DNC doesn't think climate change is worth debating
Single-issue debates are generally a bad idea.
Especially when nobody takes the opposing side.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am
Fireball wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am
Single-issue debates are generally a bad idea.
Especially when nobody takes the opposing side.
They can debate what year humanity loses for good.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am Especially when nobody takes the opposing side.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Steffen Olsen, a scientist with the Danish Meteorological Institute, was on a routine mission in northwest Greenland to retrieve oceanographic and weather monitoring tools placed by his colleagues on sea ice when he ran into a problem.

He couldn't see them -- the usually flat white sea ice was covered in water, the result of flooding from Greenland's ice sheet, the second largest on the planet.

The incredible photo he took, of sled dogs ankle deep in a wide expanse of light blue water, quickly went viral, destined to join pictures of starving polar bears, shrunken glaciers, stranded walruses and lakes turned bone dry in the pantheon of evidence of our ongoing climate catastrophe.
Scientists have been predicting a record year for melting on the Greenland ice sheet for months, and the amount of ice already being lost this early in the summer suggests they're right.

The effect is also cumulative -- the more ice lost early in the summer causes greater melting as the weeks go on. This is because white snow and ice reflect the sun's rays back into space, reducing the amount of heat absorbed and keeping the ice cold. The less ice there is, the less heat is reflected, and the more melting occurs.
Since 1972, ice loss from Greenland alone has added 13.7 millimeters (about half an inch) to the global sea level, a recent study estimates. The island's ice sheet is the leading source of water added to the ocean every year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The British research submarine Boaty McBoatface has made an impressive debut in the scientific arena, discovering a significant link between Antarctic winds and rising sea temperatures on its maiden outing.
The task saw McBoatface travel 180 kilometers (112 miles) through mountainous underwater valleys in Antarctica, measuring the temperature, saltiness and turbulence in the depths of the Southern Ocean.

Its findings, published in the journal PNAS on Monday, revealed how increasingly strong winds in the region are causing turbulence deep within the sea, and as a result mixing warm water from middle levels with colder water in the abyss.

That process is causing the sea temperature to rise, which in turn is a significant contributor to rising sea levels, scientists behind the project said.

Antarctic winds are growing in strength due to the thinning of the ozone layer and the build-up of greenhouse gases, but their impact on the ocean has never been factored in to climate models.
"The data from Boaty McBoatface gave us a completely new way of looking at the deep ocean -- the path taken by Boaty created a spatial view of the turbulence near the seafloor," Eleanor Frajka-Williams of the center said in a statement.

"This study is a great example of how exciting new technology such as the unmanned submarine 'Boaty McBoatface' can be used along with ship-based measurements and cutting-edge ocean models to discover and explain previously unknown processes affecting heat transport within the ocean," added Povl Abrahamsen of the British Antarctic Survey.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

More good news from Canada:
Permafrost at outposts in the Canadian Arctic is thawing 70 years earlier than predicted, an expedition has discovered, in the latest sign that the global climate crisis is accelerating even faster than scientists had feared.

A team from the University of Alaska Fairbanks said they were astounded by how quickly a succession of unusually hot summers had destabilized the upper layers of giant subterranean ice blocks that had been frozen solid for millennia.

“What we saw was amazing,” Vladimir E. Romanovsky, a professor of geophysics at the university, told Reuters by telephone. “It’s an indication that the climate is now warmer than at any time in the last 5,000 or more years.”
C'mon ancient virus, help mother nature fight back...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Have I mentioned that we're totally fucked?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Environmental Protection Agency on Wednesday said states can set their own carbon emissions standards for coal-fired power plants -- a rule that the agency itself says could result in 1,400 more premature deaths by 2030 than the Obama-era plan it will replace.

The move fulfills part of President Donald Trump's promise to help the coal industry, but will likely face court challenges from environmental groups and several states who see the rollback as detrimental to clean air and efforts to fight the climate crisis.

Former President Barack Obama's plan, if implemented, would have prevented 3,600 premature deaths a year, 1,700 heart attacks and 90,000 asthma attacks, according to analysis conducted by the EPA under his tenure.

The Obama Clean Power Plan was set to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to the climate crisis, by up to 32% compared to 2005 levels by the same year.
Obama's Clean Power Plan was challenged by several lawsuits from industry groups and conservative-led states. In 2016, the Supreme Court blocked the regulation, but some plants had already started to work on reducing pollution.

The new plan, which EPA is calling the Affordable Clean Energy rule, is designed to boost the struggling coal industry but also likely increase carbon emissions nationwide. EPA argues that any comparison to the Obama rule is incongruous because it was never implemented.

A senior EPA official said that comparing the CPP and the ACE role was a "fantasy" because the CPP was never fully implemented. He instead said that "market forces alone" are causing change, and it's not the agency's job to regulate energy emissions.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 pm Have I mentioned that we're totally fucked?
Trump Admin: You call that fucked? Hold my beer!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Temperatures climbed to 90 degrees in Anchorage, Alaska, on Thursday, breaking the all-time heat record for the northerly city.

Anchorage's previous record high (at least since 1952) was 85 degrees Fahrenheit, set on June 14, 1969.

The city of 300,000 people also had its hottest June ever, according to the National Weather Service. Average temperature for the month was 60.5 degrees, 5.3 degrees above normal. It was the 16th consecutive month with above-average temperatures.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last month was the hottest June on record (globally), breaking the old record by 0.1 degree -- which is rather a lot, as these things are measured. It was Europe's hottest June by a huge margin.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alaskan permafrost warming experiment produces surprising results
It sounds simple enough to measure, but measurements are complicated by the fact that permafrost sort of compacts as the ice within it melts. So if you measure, say, the amount of carbon in a 3-meter-thick sample, any later samples can be denser, packing in more carbon and masking losses. To get around potential discrepancy, the researchers measured something that stays put: volcanic ash in the soil.

By referencing the carbon measurements against the ash content, you can work out how much carbon is lost from a cube of soil even as that cube gets squashed since the ash squashes along with it.
But the real upshot of this study is simply how rapidly carbon was being lost. The researchers say there's a good chance they're looking at an area going through a phase of rapid change that may not be true everywhere or at all times. Still, projecting a plausible diminishing rate of loss into the future would mean that something like 70% of the soil carbon would be lost by 2100. Contrast that with prevailing estimates of 5% to 15% by 2100 and it's clear that the new results are raising eyebrows.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry folks, Mississippi beaches are closed. White-tailed deer out front should have told you.
Along the state's Gulf Coast, all 21 of the state's beaches have been shut down for swimming due to a blue-green harmful algal bloom (HAB), according to the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ).
The toxic algae can cause rashes, stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting, the state agency warned.

Though the state says people can still use the sand portion of the beaches, they should avoid water contact or consumption of anything from the waters "until further notice."

The HAB was at least partly caused by the opening of the Bonnet Carre spillway in Louisiana, which has triggered "excessive" freshwater to the coastline, the Jackson Clarion Ledger reported.
HABs aren't rare. In fact, every US coastal and Great Lakes state experiences them, the NOAA says. However, they are popping up with increasing frequency due to climate change and increasing nutrient pollution, according to the NOAA.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, NJs largest freshwater lake has been closed indefinitely since a few weeks ago and locals are quite upset. There's usually a HAB in August, but because of all the rain we had in June, it was triggered much earlier. I have a feeling it's going to become the norm.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

New England has been gradually getting wetter over the past 30-40 years. That's not news. The 12 months ending in June were the wettest 12-month span in 124 years of record-keeping, and 2018 was the wettest calendar year. Rainfall in both cases was >20" above normal. That's news.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 am HABs aren't rare. In fact, every US coastal and Great Lakes state experiences them, the NOAA says. However, they are popping up with increasing frequency due to climate change and increasing nutrient pollution, according to the NOAA.
[/quote]

farmland fertilization runoff make them ubiquitous in Northern Ohio, putting the Great Lakes at severe risk. Something the EPA had been working on until 2016.

I went to look for one of the numerous advisory from the last few years, and I get this from yesterday.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/giant-algae-b ... king-water

But it's a year after year getting worse thing

https://toledo.oh.gov/media/5728/2018-h ... mation.pdf

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/ ... o-end.html
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:21 pm But it's a year after year getting worse thing
That sums things up nicely.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 am Yeah, NJs largest freshwater lake has been closed indefinitely since a few weeks ago and locals are quite upset. There's usually a HAB in August, but because of all the rain we had in June, it was triggered much earlier. I have a feeling it's going to become the norm.
Suck it libs! Swim in the waters of freedom or go back to where you came from if you don't like it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:05 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 am Yeah, NJs largest freshwater lake has been closed indefinitely since a few weeks ago and locals are quite upset. There's usually a HAB in August, but because of all the rain we had in June, it was triggered much earlier. I have a feeling it's going to become the norm.
Suck it libs! Swim in the waters of freedom or go back to where you came from if you don't like it.
That would be Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I'd say not a good demographic of libs to piss off but unbelievably 5 of those six states don't think their fresh water is as important as building a wall.

https://www.in.gov/isdh/25974.htm

https://www2.illinois.gov/epa/topics/wa ... fault.aspx

www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p0/p00853.pdf

https://epa.ohio.gov/hab-algae

https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7- ... --,00.html

https://www.eriecountypa.gov/county-ser ... looms.aspx

A walk down memory lane....

http://healthylakes.org/clinton-trump-c ... ate-forum/

http://healthylakes.org/clinton-trump-c ... ate-forum/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/gre ... sed-budget

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 129234002/

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... fund-great

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administr ... ion_Agency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_R._Wheeler
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:01 pm New England has been gradually getting wetter over the past 30-40 years. That's not news. The 12 months ending in June were the wettest 12-month span in 124 years of record-keeping, and 2018 was the wettest calendar year. Rainfall in both cases was >20" above normal. That's news.
Yeah. I'm excited for when Maine becomes a tropical rain forest, too. The summer heat and humidity up here is gross already, so we really need some more.
Black Lives Matter

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:01 pm New England has been gradually getting wetter over the past 30-40 years. That's not news. The 12 months ending in June were the wettest 12-month span in 124 years of record-keeping, and 2018 was the wettest calendar year. Rainfall in both cases was >20" above normal. That's news.
Yeah. I'm excited for when Maine becomes a tropical rain forest, too. The summer heat and humidity up here is gross already, so we really need some more.
All in all, I'd rather live in a place with too much fresh water than too little. At least until that translates into widespread, chronic flooding.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A little rain never hurt anyone. It's when it gangs up on you that you have problems.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, I'm going to be dead, but if reading this by-line doesn't cause you to think, what would?
Within 60 years, hot days in the U.S. could be so intense that the current heat index can’t measure them.
Some of the study's findings:
The study averaged together projections from 18 hyper-local climate models between April and October over 30-year periods: a historical baseline (1971–2000), midcentury (2036–2065), and late century (2070–2099). The study showed generally that the Southeast and Southern Great Plains would bear the brunt of the extreme heat, experiencing heat that currently only occurs in the Sonoran Desert, in the Southwest

Areas in those regions would experience the equivalent of three months per year on average by mid-century that feel hotter than 105 degrees Fahrenheit, possibly as hot as 115 degrees, 125 degrees, or worse.