Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020? No, it's 2020!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Fireball

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020?

Post by Fireball »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:59 am How can you possibly make the leap and make it against the one senator who supported your bid?
Actually, Warren never endorsed Sanders in 2016. She stayed out of the race until after the last primary and then endorsed Clinton. It seems like her goal was to be a unifying figure whose endorsement could bring progressives to Clinton or mainstream Democrats to Bernie. His hardcore fringe of supporters have never forgiven her for this "betrayal".
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Not the Onion:

Roy Moore announces 2020 Senate run, vows to 'make more personal contact with people'
During his press conference on Thursday, Moore said that there is "such opposition" to his run because "they know I can" win. When asked what he'll do differently in his campaign this time, Moore responded, "I would like to make more personal contact with people."
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Dems should really start getting behind someone now and have their ducks in a row.

Also saw Booker attacking Biden wanting an apology for something .WTG numb nuts in the party attacking each other and providing dissension .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pmAlso saw Booker attacking Biden wanting an apology for something .WTG numb nuts in the party attacking each other and providing dissension .
He called him out for being an old, out of touch white man:
“Apologize for what?” Mr. Biden snapped on Wednesday evening after Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey, a rival in the 2020 campaign, said he should express regret for citing two Southern segregationist senators as examples of civility in politics. “There’s not a racist bone in my body.”
It's not that Joe Biden is a bad person. It just...he represents politics and politicians from a different era. I don't think he's the hero we need right now. I like Joe Biden - truly. But it saddens me to think that after 2016 he's the best answer the (D) have.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh boy. :doh: Well that will tear the Dems apart.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote:

link
Deleted.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 pm
Holman wrote:

link
Deleted.
Complicated subtweet about Roy Moore not being allowed on the National Mall. (Get it?)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And to give a little more background as to why Biden is really tone deaf. From Smoove_B's NYT article:
Mr. Biden’s remarks came at a fund-raiser Tuesday night where he talked about Mr. Eastland and at one point recalled how “he never called me ‘boy,’ he always called me ‘son.’”
Well Mr. Biden perhaps he never called you boy because, well, you ain't black you dumbass. I'm sure the fine Mr. Eastland would have used a different word if you were black.

And he's been pretty unapologetic so I say have at him!

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Appearing on CNN on Wednesday night, Sanders was asked by Chris Cuomo, “What do you think the reason is that Elizabeth Warren is catching up to you in polls? Do you believe that people see her as the more electable version of Bernie Sanders?” To which the lawmaker from Vermont responded, “Well, I think we are running against a lot of problems.” He then proceeded to describe said problems. “I think that there are a certain number of people who would like to see a woman elected, and I understand that,” Sanders said. “There are people who would like to see somebody who is younger, and I understand that also. There are a lot of factors out there.”
link

Yeah, that's the reason Warren is climbing in the polls. Because shes a woman. Riiiiiigghttttt /sarcasm

:pop:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm The Dems should really start getting behind someone now and have their ducks in a row.
Sure, who wants all those debates and primaries and democracy stuff? Just roll dice for it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

As long as it is a twenty-sided die.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm The Dems should really start getting behind someone now and have their ducks in a row.
No, we should have a good, spirited, and positive debate, figure out who amongst the 24 candidates is the best, and when the time comes get behind her. Lining up right now behind whoever happens to have a weak lead in early polls would be absurd.
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You also don't want the elephants focusing their personal attacks on a single target. Let them waste resources going after those who won't matter in the end.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

While it's way too early to get behind one person, I fully support narrowing the field down to like 8-10 candidates, which hopefully will happen after the first couple of multi-candidate joint press conference of 30-second talking points. Oops, I mean "debate".
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fireball wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 am No, we should have a good, spirited, and positive debate, figure out who amongst the 24 candidates is the best, and when the time comes get behind her. Lining up right now behind whoever happens to have a weak lead in early polls would be absurd.
A rare utter and complete eye to eye moment. Emphasizing positive. No mud slinging. Go after ideas and policies but in a positive way. The prize needs to be the win for the US, not personal ambition. The best thing I could see coming out of a 20 person field is not a fight nor a circle jerk but showing the ability to work together toward common cause. (Well, that and a plan for policy to walk us back)
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:22 pm
Fireball wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 am No, we should have a good, spirited, and positive debate, figure out who amongst the 24 candidates is the best, and when the time comes get behind her. Lining up right now behind whoever happens to have a weak lead in early polls would be absurd.
A rare utter and complete eye to eye moment. Emphasizing positive. No mud slinging. Go after ideas and policies but in a positive way. The prize needs to be the win for the US, not personal ambition. The best thing I could see coming out of a 20 person field is not a fight nor a circle jerk but showing the ability to work together toward common cause. (Well, that and a plan for policy to walk us back)
Of course, where it gets slippery is when trying to define "mud slinging". It is completely appropriate to call out opponents when they are wrong, when they have done something improper, or when they have something in their background that raises questions about their stated beliefs.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Defiant wrote:
Appearing on CNN on Wednesday night, Sanders was asked by Chris Cuomo, “What do you think the reason is that Elizabeth Warren is catching up to you in polls? Do you believe that people see her as the more electable version of Bernie Sanders?” To which the lawmaker from Vermont responded, “Well, I think we are running against a lot of problems.” He then proceeded to describe said problems. “I think that there are a certain number of people who would like to see a woman elected, and I understand that,” Sanders said. “There are people who would like to see somebody who is younger, and I understand that also. There are a lot of factors out there.”
link

Yeah, that's the reason Warren is climbing in the polls. Because shes a woman. Riiiiiigghttttt /sarcasm

:pop:
Male politicians sure get flustered when facing someone with ovaries.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So instead of all jumping on Trump for his reaction about the central park 5, every Democrat candidate piles on to Biden. They really want to fuck it up again don't they.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm So instead of all jumping on Trump for his reaction about the central park 5, every Democrat candidate piles on to Biden. They really want to fuck it up again don't they.
it seems to be the way. easier to attack one's 'family' for lesser wrongs (or even petty drama) than to engage actual opposition.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm So instead of all jumping on Trump for his reaction about the central park 5, every Democrat candidate piles on to Biden. They really want to fuck it up again don't they.
Trump's situation with the Central Park Five isn't new, it's been litigated for years. Biden's horrific comments about Eastland are deserving of umbrage. Biden is a sloppy, reckless candidate running a lazy and arrogant campaign; he could be a disastrous nominee. It is not wrong for his primary opponents to call out his mistakes, especially when they are so egregious.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Fireball wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:11 pm
Trump's situation with the Central Park Five isn't new, it's been litigated for years. Biden's horrific comments about Eastland are deserving of umbrage. Biden is a sloppy, reckless candidate running a lazy and arrogant campaign; he could be a disastrous nominee. It is not wrong for his primary opponents to call out his mistakes, especially when they are so egregious.
Yeah, I've been impressed with Warren's ground game this cycle. When I look at Biden from a CA perspective, he treats us like a Republican - I'm only here for the money.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Where's that man holding his forehead emoji?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Primaries aren't bad things, and primaries require delineating the differences in policies, temperament and qualifications between you and your opponents.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah while I had general support for Biden due to his electability, the past week has just made me cringe. The constant gaffes, his "good ol' boys" demeanor with the GOP - the more I hear the more I fervently hope his frontrunner status is based on name recognition and will erode quickly. While I would vote for him in a heartbeat over Trump, I'd genuinely like to vote for someone I'm enthusiastic for.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Fireball wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 pm Primaries aren't bad things, and primaries require delineating the differences in policies, temperament and qualifications between you and your opponents.
Additionally, they are grueling test of a candidate and whether they will have the smarts, fortitude and ability to be President.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm Yeah while I had general support for Biden due to his electability, the past week has just made me cringe. The constant gaffes, his "good ol' boys" demeanor with the GOP - the more I hear the more I fervently hope his frontrunner status is based on name recognition and will erode quickly. While I would vote for him in a heartbeat over Trump, I'd genuinely like to vote for someone I'm enthusiastic for.
For me, the main draw of Biden was his experience with the new GOP as Vice President under Obama, and the thought that he'd learn from those experiences (wasting the supermajority, catering to GOP whims on the bailout and ACA for zero votes, etc.). I thought that would prepare him the best for what is likely to happen if he became President, but his statements are indicating to me that he is far more likely NOT to have learned that lesson.

Which indicates to me that he is more likely to be an ineffective President than I thought he would be. He'll still be a MASSIVE improvement over the current occupant of the office, but he'll mostly accept the terms dictated by the current GOP rather than fix the damage they have done and continue to do.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm Yeah while I had general support for Biden due to his electability, the past week has just made me cringe. The constant gaffes, his "good ol' boys" demeanor with the GOP - the more I hear the more I fervently hope his frontrunner status is based on name recognition and will erode quickly. While I would vote for him in a heartbeat over Trump, I'd genuinely like to vote for someone I'm enthusiastic for.
For me, the main draw of Biden was his experience with the new GOP as Vice President under Obama, and the thought that he'd learn from those experiences (wasting the supermajority, catering to GOP whims on the bailout and ACA for zero votes, etc.). I thought that would prepare him the best for what is likely to happen if he became President, but his statements are indicating to me that he is far more likely NOT to have learned that lesson.

Which indicates to me that he is more likely to be an ineffective President than I thought he would be. He'll still be a MASSIVE improvement over the current occupant of the office, but he'll mostly accept the terms dictated by the current GOP rather than fix the damage they have done and continue to do.
I dont think I can vote for a corporate democrat. I'll prolly go third party if some corporate dem slimes his way into the nomination.

I know theres a chance Trump could get a second term, but the Democrats will need to fight a civil war within it's self. We need litmus tests and a party thats not afraid to fight the Republicans, not just the .01.

Eventually, given enough losses they will change or fade into irrelevance, and we will see a second more progressive party.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:03 pm I dont think I can vote for a corporate democrat. I'll prolly go third party if some corporate dem slimes his way into the nomination.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Seriously. Have you looked at where we are?

Fight for the best Dem you can see in the primary, but then vote for the Dem nominee against Trump.

This year more than ever, third parties are absolute bullshit.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Can anyone be more corporate politician than Trump?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote:
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:03 pm I dont think I can vote for a corporate democrat. I'll prolly go third party if some corporate dem slimes his way into the nomination.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Fight for the best Dem you can see in the primary, but then vote for the Dem nominee against Trump.

He’s moving from California to Oregon. His vote for president matters as much as mine does.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:32 pm
Holman wrote:
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

He’s moving from California to Oregon. His vote for president matters as much as mine does.
Incorrect:
Poll shows Biden beating Trump in Texas
Make it so, Isg! Volunteer!

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:11 pm
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I have looked at where we are. I *want* to force the Dem party to have an identity crisis. We can't afford to wait another 8 years. A decent president or a total collapse. Yeah. It'll suck, but I've watched the last 20 years pass me by waiting for real change. People like me don't have much to lose. We are desperate. How do you think Trump eked out his narrow margin in Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan and other states?

The desperate poor, and working class who saw little gains despite playing by the rules and doing everything right. Hillary basically told these people things wouldn't get better for them, A lot of Bernie voters went Trump in these states.

So, I have a choice, let buiness as usual happen (no net gain for me) or let it all come down (things will possibly improve)

So, that being said. I'm going from a blue area, to a blue area, so my vote doesen't matter.

However plenty of people just like me are in other areas, swing states and we won't vote Democratic again unless we see a party fight for us...

Sorry.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I have looked at where we are. I *want* to force the Dem party to have an identity crisis. We can't afford to wait another 8 years. A decent president or a total collapse. Yeah. It'll suck, but I've watched the last 20 years pass me by waiting for real change. People like me don't have much to lose. We are desperate. How do you think Trump eked out his narrow margin in Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan and other states?

The desperate poor, and working class who saw little gains despite playing by the rules and doing everything right. Hillary basically told these people things wouldn't get better for them, A lot of Bernie voters went Trump in these states.

So, I have a choice, let buiness as usual happen (no net gain for me) or let it all come down (things will possibly improve)

So, that being said. I'm going from a blue area, to a blue area, so my vote doesen't matter.

However plenty of people just like me are in other areas, swing states and we won't vote Democratic again unless we see a party fight for us...

Sorry.
Drazzil - be the change you want to see. Find a candidate you support and volunteer (good job experience and networking too!). I had a fun time the campaign I worked on.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ic-nominee

Bernie/Warren or bust (third party)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Sorry.
Drazzil - be the change you want to see. Find a candidate you support and volunteer (good job experience and networking too!). I had a fun time the campaign I worked on.
Yep. I will definitely be volunteering for Bernie or Warren in Oregon (god and voters willing).
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Sorry guys. I'm stirring the sh-t pot and making people think worse of me. I'll shut up now.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Fuck what people think of you.
Do what you feel and then live with the consequences.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 pm Fuck what people think of you.
Except we all have to live with shared consequences.

That's why elections are about persuading others.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 pm Fuck what people think of you.
Except we all have to live with shared consequences.

That's why elections are about persuading others.
See, heres the problem I see. Income inequality is making people dumber and less engaged and truly angry. There are enough people out there that are so disgusted with their lot in life; that they will knowingly who vote for the worst possible canidate just to burn it all down. I'm not even talking about the dum dums who believe in Trump, I'm talking about the people who know the system is screwing them.

If the machine doesen't work for them then why should it be allowed to work for anyone? Why should I knowingly support a canidate who may talk a good game but will give exactly two f-cks about people who work for a living (or would like to).

Its like a house burning down, and the people in the house are allowed to vote for a fireman who won't save the people in the first floor no matter what but will save the people in the floors above them, or a fireman who may help a few people in the attic but the house is gonna burn down regardless.

What incentive will the people on the first floor have to save the building? None that I can see.

F-ck I'm not explaining this right.