Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Random randomness

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm
Moat_Man wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 pm If this is how diabetes works, sign me up.
I know you're joking but never forget that diabetes is a killer. It can take young and old without warning. I used to ignorantly think that diabetes was this managable thing where you live a relatively normal life, (kind of like HIV now?!?) until I saw a few people I know drop dead. Complications from diabetes can lead to stroke, heart disease, blindess, etc. It also causes kidney failure, and we know a lot about that around here.

I'm not trying to be a downer and it can be mitigated so there is hope. I'm just saying...
I hear you.

My initial comment was a joke, but my dad and I had a serious discussion about how diabetes killed his father.
Unchecked diabetes brought my mom low. Also a friend of mine when I was young woke up blind one day as crystalized sugar (or someodd such) got into his eyes.

Diabetes sucks.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Who falls for that? :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Would be kinda fun if it existed

Likely to result in trauma — but fun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

xwraith wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 pm Would be kinda fun if it existed

Likely to result in trauma — but fun.
I fell for it. :oops:
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

On the other hand this does seem to exist..
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

One of my long-time co-workers worked her last shift today. She and her husband are selling their apartment, buying a boat, and spending the next year traveling the Great Loop.

I am incredibly envious.
Holman

Post by Holman »

That is awesome!

I had no idea that the Erie Canal was still open all the way. I assumed that it was dead and silted up at some points.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They have this place in eastern Oklahoma where they have some Olde Viking Runes written in rock. It's estimated to date to 600 AD. However, many considerate it a modern carving (1800AD) when a lot of Swedes settled in the area. It translates to "Glome's property".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've read about the Oklahoma runestones (as part of a long-past interest in such things.)

As I recall, the inscription isn't in Old Norse (as an original would be), and some of the letters are written backwards. And I believe that the most accepted translation was 'Gnome Valley", or "Gnome Dale." Again, very sloppy 'writing', and the nauthiz (N) and laguz (L) runes are very similar. The other famous Oklahoma runestone was apparently an even more modern copy of the first, save that they added a few extra letters from a completely different alphabet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:01 pm That is awesome!

I had no idea that the Erie Canal was still open all the way. I assumed that it was dead and silted up at some points.
Looks like it goes over Niagara Falls.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There are currently 27 six-year-olds in my backyard for the Wonder Twins’ birthday party.

Send help.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your first error was allowing more than 10.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm Your first error was allowing more than 10.
For some reason, Mrs Skinypupy insisted on inviting their entire class.

We’re feeding them pizza in a few. I’m tempted to just throw it in the middle of the bounce house and let them go at it feeding-frenzy style.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm Your first error was allowing more than 10.

We’re feeding them pizza in a few. I’m tempted to just throw it in the middle of the bounce house and let them go at it feeding-frenzy style.
Send video!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:54 pm
Skinypupy wrote:

Send video!
Live stream! Subscribers only! 5 bucks a month for guaranteed content!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:36 pm There are currently 27 six-year-olds in my backyard for the Wonder Twins’ birthday party.
I had fourteen ten year old girls at my house...once. All I know is that Taylor Swift's music calmed them down and unified focus. Godspeed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 pm One of my long-time co-workers worked her last shift today. She and her husband are selling their apartment, buying a boat, and spending the next year traveling the Great Loop.
What kind of a boat can do that trip? It looks like fun but I doubt I'd want to be on a boat small enough for the inland parts for the whole trip.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I think it's something like this (this is not the actual boat):

Enlarge Image
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:16 pm I think it's something like this (this is not the actual boat):

Enlarge Image
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

found one of these on the beach today:

https://www.crkt.com/shop/pocket-knives/k-i-s-s.html

however, the salt water had gotten to it and there are significant patches of rust on it. what's the best way to resuscitate this knife? i soaked in a vinegar + salt solution for 30 minutes - i was going to go overnight, but perhaps the bolts and pivots are aluminum - wouldn't want to destroy those.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:00 am found one of these on the beach today:

however, the salt water had gotten to it and there are significant patches of rust on it. what's the best way to resuscitate this knife? i soaked in a vinegar + salt solution for 30 minutes - i was going to go overnight, but perhaps the bolts and pivots are aluminum - wouldn't want to destroy those.
The simplest and most effective method would be to buy some Naval Jelly AKA Permatex rust dissolver gel from an auto parts store. It shouldn't cost more than a few bucks for a small container. If you prefer using household ingredients, mixing up a paste of white vinegar or lemon juice + baking soda will work better than vinegar + salt for removing heavy patches of rust (though it may take some elbow grease along with a suitably abrasive cleaning pad).

If you follow up with some WD40 and a fine-grit sandpaper, you should be able to get it looking as good as new.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My sister and I got my parents a trip to Chicago to see Hamilton for their anniversary this year (a few months ago). They close to come in this past weekend. My mom's birthday was yesterday, as was the Hamilton showing they went to, and of course Father's day.

I got to play host since my sister got the hotel.

So it was like the perfect storm and I'm sorting through my expenses for the weekend and quite frankly, wtf? But the kids and grandparents had a great time and spent time together so I guess eating ramen and drinking Blue Ribbon for the next few weeks will be worth it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:56 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:00 am found one of these on the beach today:

The simplest and most effective method would be to buy some Naval Jelly AKA Permatex rust dissolver gel from an auto parts store. It shouldn't cost more than a few bucks for a small container. If you prefer using household ingredients, mixing up a paste of white vinegar or lemon juice + baking soda will work better than vinegar + salt for removing heavy patches of rust (though it may take some elbow grease along with a suitably abrasive cleaning pad).

If you follow up with some WD40 and a fine-grit sandpaper, you should be able to get it looking as good as new.
i was under the impression that vinegar and baking soda weren't to be combined, since the acid and akaline sorta cancel each other out and it just becomes kinda inert.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just use machine or gun oil.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But not machine gun oil.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm I just use machine or gun oil.
Get CLP Break Free at your local outdoors store or online superstore. If necessary, brush lightly with steel wool to help remove rust.

CLP isn't the only solution but when you're done you can also use it to keep the knife lubed and rust free.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:56 am

i was under the impression that vinegar and baking soda weren't to be combined, since the acid and akaline sorta cancel each other out and it just becomes kinda inert.
Not in my experience, e.g. here's a Youtube video of someone testing out whether baking soda and vinegar can be used for rust removal. In that video he uses a wire brush, so you'll probably need to go at it with at least an abrasive sponge and a fair amount of elbow grease depending on how deeply the rust has set in.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've just discovered that I can gargle and pee at the same time.
I've never heard of anybody ever doing this so I must be unique.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So this is how my order from chewy.com has gone....

Jun 17
6:41 PM Package has been scanned at arrival KENNESAW, GA
Jun 17
1:42 AM Package has been picked up by carrier. OCALA, FL
Jun 17
1:42 AM Shipment information has been received by carrier
Jun 17
12:00 AM Package has been picked up or at facility KENNESAW, GA

Buncha incompetent folk it seems.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I just got back from the DMV to obtain a "real" ID drivers licence (I still wonder why up to now they were issuing fake ones). They tried to buttfuck me by saying they couldn't accept a laminated birth certificate. So I sat there trying to peel it off with my fingernails and saw that it would destroy the document. So I demanded to speak to a supervisor. At first she told me I would have to get a new one. Then she noticed that the county had applied their seal ON the lamination, so they accepted it. Three times through the line and finally got it done. :roll:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In their defense, I have never seen a laminated government document with a seal affixed outside. It's also why I always ask if [person/agency] wants a copy or a certified copy. Big difference.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well they may have done things a little differently in Ohio 60 years ago.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dentist suggested i get a night guard. problem is i also have a retainer, upper and lower, that i have to wear every night (or, what they don't tell you beforehand that you need to do for the rest of your life after the braces are removed...) anyhow, i paid the $300 out of pocket for it and just got the upper and lower nightguard/retainer today. it is soooo much plastic to have to shove in my mouth. i can't keep it affixed for more than ten seconds without triggering the gag reflex.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What Dropping 17,000 Wallets Around The Globe Can Teach Us About Honesty

"People were more likely to return a wallet when it contained a higher amount of money," Cohn says. "At first we almost couldn't believe it and told him to triple the amount of money in the wallet. But yet again we found the same puzzling finding."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Go to bed, Daehawk
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant. Feeding a baby mouse. Have been for nearly 2 weeks..every 2-3 hours..so tired. Id normally be sound asleep by 1am. Little guy has started his weaning so should eat on his own in a few days or so.