Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why are you feeding a baby mouse?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He meant moose.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 am Why are you feeding a baby mouse?
I spraedy around outside the edge of my home to keep ants away then an hour later there were babies crawling around there squeaking. Id accidentally hit a nest of them. Was 10. 2 already dead. I tried to raise the rest since I called everywhere to find a rehab for them. No one rehabs them except a place about 70 miles from me and I wasn't driving that. When they were down to 4 of them those seemed to be doing well so I named them after the 4 Musketeers. Now only Porthos is left but he is doing great.

I refuse to kill anything I dont have to especially a baby mouse.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

https://popculture.com/country-music/20 ... -children/
In the black-and-white photo, Lisa Marie stands with her arms around all four of her kids: Riley Keough, 30, Benjamin Keough, 26, and Harper and Finley Lockwood, both 10. She shares Riley and Benjamin with ex-husband Danny Keough and Harper and Finley with ex-husband Michael Lockwood.
Lisa Marie Presley shared a rare photo with all four of her kids Thursday night, and fans think her 26-year-old son looks exactly like her dad, Elvis Presley.
Damn he really does. So this is where Elvis got to. He had some alien gene age regression therapy and has been hiding out as his own grandson.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Elvis would have smiled in a portrait with his momma.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its not his momma its his daughter :P
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is Stephen Hawking the smartest dead man out there?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nope. There are tons of people who are far smarter than him, alive and dead. They aren't as well known, and don't have his ability to communicate his ideas, so we just don't hear much from them. But there are people out there. And he'd have told you the same thing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

John von Neumann is considered by many to be the smartest man who ever lived. Among his profusion of ideas he came up with min-max in game theory and the technological singularity (in 1955!).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is a 1960's circa ad for a local food store in town. Its still around too.......dang I can only afford 5 Jello boxes. Just missed out on that kite. Click to embiggin

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember my mom sending me to the butcher to get hamburger at 33 cents a pound.
This would have been 1962.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Netflix says it will not make anymore Good Omens due to a anti show petition online. Amazon says if thats so then they'll just cancel Stranger Things :)

Fun at silly folks expense.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/ne ... er-things/
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm living at least 11 months of the year in a tiny apartment in Seoul. So why am I bothered by the-immanent conversion of the downstair office in my US house into an office for my mother in law? Technically the office is my defacto hobby room/man cave/junk room but I'm not around to use it and it is very unlikely that I will be around to use it for at least 3 years. Plus, we are getting huge benefits out of having her in our house while we are out of the country.

Practically speaking I should be falling all over myself in my haste to make her happy to stay. Yet boxing up the tools, getting rid of the materials that aren't really part of any ongoing project, and generally cleaning up will most likely end my flirtation with making things because there has never really been a practical need for my projects. Such tinkering was fine when it was occurring in an "extra" room but will be hard to justify when it has to space.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Once again, the wisdom of Dr. Ian Malcolm is timeless:
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:58 am I remember my mom sending me to the butcher to get hamburger at 33 cents a pound.
This would have been 1962.
And you’re just now getting back?
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

did he ever return? no he never returned and his fate is still unlearned. he will travel forever with that pound of hamburger he's the kid who never returned.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fuck. :cry:

Just got news tonight of a third suicide in my extended work/friend/neighborhood circle in the past week. My brother's brother-in-law, the husband of a work colleague, and one of my neighbors. All three guys left wives and multiple little kids behind, and there wasn't even the slightest surface indication with any of them that something might be wrong.

All I can say is to take the time to reach out to people, listen, and help where you can. You never know how badly someone might be hurting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Criminal Minds
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:10 pm Fuck. :cry:

Just got news tonight of a third suicide in my extended work/friend/neighborhood circle in the past week. My brother's brother-in-law, the husband of a work colleague, and one of my neighbors. All three guys left wives and multiple little kids behind, and there wasn't even the slightest surface indication with any of them that something might be wrong.

All I can say is to take the time to reach out to people, listen, and help where you can. You never know how badly someone might be hurting.
Wow that's eerie and terrible. Condolances. Are you from Portland by any chance?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'd add that it's not always lingering, chronic depression. Sometimes it's just a chemical switch that gets flipped and people have to be ready to recognize that too, especially in themselves.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From 2018, The mystery around middle age suicides:
“Life satisfaction hits an all-time low in middle age. This dip in happiness is known as the U curve,” says Samantha Boardman, a clinical instructor in medicine and psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City.

“Depression and stress are particularly high in this age group. Juggling responsibilities and managing multiple roles takes a toll and can lead to feeling overwhelmed, a loss of control and despair.”
Probably most important:
Where to Find Help

The CDC says warning signs for suicide include when people talk about feeling like a burden, feeling hopeless or wanting to die. An increase in anxiety, extreme mood swings and increased anger are also signs that someone may be at risk. Increased substance use, sleeping too much or too little and looking to obtain a firearm or poison are also warning signs.

The CDC recommends that those in need call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Another option is to chat online with someone at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Both are free and confidential and will connect people to a counselor in their area.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote:

:)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am

I'd add that it's not always lingering, chronic depression. Sometimes it's just a chemical switch that gets flipped and people have to be ready to recognize that too, especially in themselves.
Just got an update from my brother about the brother-in-law's suicide, and it's far, far worse than I thought. I take back what I said about there not being any indications...this was a mess.

John (not his actual name) had apparently been receiving some sort of mental health treatment for the last couple years. It started with depression, but had spiraled into him becoming physically violent and verbally abusive with his wife and kids, threatening to kill them all, etc. His wife (we'll call her Jane) left with the kids and had taken them to my sis-in-law's parents house fearing for their own safety. John had been living at this mental health facility for about the last 6 months.

The facility decided he had made enough progress to let him go, and had released him to the care of his parents yesterday. The plan was for him to go live with them while he got things sorted out. When his parents picked him up, John told them that he needed to grab a few things from his house. The parents dropped him off at the house and said they'd be back in an hour to pick him up (side note: WTF were they thinking???). Thankfully, Jane and kids weren't there.

John immediately began calling Jane and threatening to kill her, the kids, and his in-laws now that he was "free". He blamed her and her family for everything that had happened and told her he wanted to "make her pay for ruining him". Jane called the cops, who sent a SWAT team to the house. Not the first time this had happened, apparently. When they got no answer, the cops entered the house and found that John had hung himself. My brother suspects there was likely some other sort of self-mutilation as well, as they wouldn't even let Jane see the body.

All things considered, this might actually be the best outcome. I imagine this could have ended with Jane, the four kids, and my brother's in-laws dead had John not decided to simply take himself out instead.

Jesus.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well after every murder-suicide the question is "why didn't he just off himself first?" So yeah, if the system just spit him out this may be the least tragic potential outcome.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All things considered, this might actually be the best outcome. I imagine this could have ended with Jane, the four kids, and my brother's in-laws dead had John not decided to simply take himself out instead.
I agree. Might have been the best ending possible in this situation. Some people just cant be fixed. Still must be awful for her it being someone she once loved before his break. And I guess a relief too.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, man, that's terrible. I can't imagine.

I would think the family will want to question the institution's decision to release him. It could save others in the future.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jenna Bush co hosts some Today show in the mornings. I wish someone would tell her to stop running her mouth so much! I wonder if her sister has mouth diarrhea too? Goodness girl shut up. Constantly talking or babbling and interrupting everyone. Its not even possible to have it on in the background without me wanting to shoot the tv.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Turn The Channel.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am

Just got an update from my brother about the brother-in-law's suicide, and it's far, far worse than I thought. I take back what I said about there not being any indications...this was a mess.

John (not his actual name) had apparently been receiving some sort of mental health treatment for the last couple years. It started with depression, but had spiraled into him becoming physically violent and verbally abusive with his wife and kids, threatening to kill them all, etc. His wife (we'll call her Jane) left with the kids and had taken them to my sis-in-law's parents house fearing for their own safety. John had been living at this mental health facility for about the last 6 months.

The facility decided he had made enough progress to let him go, and had released him to the care of his parents yesterday. The plan was for him to go live with them while he got things sorted out. When his parents picked him up, John told them that he needed to grab a few things from his house. The parents dropped him off at the house and said they'd be back in an hour to pick him up (side note: WTF were they thinking???). Thankfully, Jane and kids weren't there.

John immediately began calling Jane and threatening to kill her, the kids, and his in-laws now that he was "free". He blamed her and her family for everything that had happened and told her he wanted to "make her pay for ruining him". Jane called the cops, who sent a SWAT team to the house. Not the first time this had happened, apparently. When they got no answer, the cops entered the house and found that John had hung himself. My brother suspects there was likely some other sort of self-mutilation as well, as they wouldn't even let Jane see the body.

Jesus.
Jesus.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The family set up a GoFundMe for funeral expenses and such, if anyone is so inclined.

(Mods, feel free to delete if that's against the rules)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Poor kids. I hope they dont inherit his mental issues down the road. Sad days.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I tried calling our local SSA just now.
Their hours are MTuF 9-4
WTh 9-12.
WTF!
How do I apply for a job there?

PS Called the main office.......24 min waiting time. :shock:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My mother in law is watching the kids this morning while Mrs. Skinypupy and I go to a funeral. We asked if she could drop them off at a friend’s birthday party while we were gone.

MIL (who is deathly afraid of technology) said she’d be happy to, but asked us to print her out a map so she could find the address.

I don’t think I’ve printed directions to anywhere in the last decade.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 amI don’t think I’ve printed directions to anywhere in the last decade.
According to the internet (Google, Map Quest, Apple, etc...) my new house (built in 1987) doesn't exist. I've had numerous people in the last few weeks that were using a car GPS and internet phone technologies unable to find it. There is value in a paper map!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I kept a paper map in my car when I delivered pizza back in 86 / 87. There was one that hang on the wall in the pizza place to get your bearings before heading out too.

Didn't help me twice. Once was a street named the same as another I didn't know of and they were on opposite sides of the town. Free pizza. The other was when it said to deliver to Honda. I did...unfortunately I went to the car place and it was the motorcycle place. Again on opposite sides of town. Free pizza.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

today at the local Asian grocery store i found Uncle Bud's Deep-Fried Peanuts

and also learned they are made in "Soddy Daisy, TN". is a real place. i bought the hot and garlic flavors. kinda delicious.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had a "Damn, I'm old" moment last night.

Was playing Final Fantasy XIV, and a bunch of us were chatting in the Free Company (guild) chat. Someone else made a "Freeeeeeebird" joke, and three of my guildmates asked, "What is Free Bird?". I responded, "It's a classic song...have you really never heard of Free Bird?" Two of them said they've never even heard of it before and would have to pull it up on YouTube to see what the heck I was talking about. The other said "Oh yeah...that's the really hard song from Guitar Hero!"

The cultural touchstone for Free Bird among the younger generation is now...Guitar Hero. Oi.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's interminably long and doesn't get any radio play these days.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Encountering two news reports over the weekend talking about "fecal parasites" in public pools has helped me to finally decide I would prefer to keep at least a 50 foot distance between myself and other human beings.
Covfefe!