Hey soccer fans!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Hey soccer fans!

Post by Alefroth »

Gato wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 pm Always found that annoying in soccer.
Not to target the USA team, because i saw this a lot of time in either women or men world cup.
Just stop celebrating it's a blowout. You still see the players jumping in each others arms on goal 9,10.11.12 and even 13.
A little respect maybe.
It was Pugh's first World Cup goal. Should she not celebrate because it might have been the side's tenth goal?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 am
Gato wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 pm Always found that annoying in soccer.
Not to target the USA team, because i saw this a lot of time in either women or men world cup.
Just stop celebrating it's a blowout. You still see the players jumping in each others arms on goal 9,10.11.12 and even 13.
A little respect maybe.
It was Pugh's first World Cup goal. Should she not celebrate because it might have been the side's tenth goal?
No problem with the celebration but no problem with the criticisms either. It may have been her first WC goal and in 20 years a goal is a goal. But in the moment it hardly seemed like an achievement. 3rd goal in 5 minutes? 4th in 10? A bit of consideration for the opposing 11 is always welcome.

OTOH, can't deny her her Nike Moment. Getting there is no picnic.

I hope they at least took the Thai team out to party afterwards.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I saw some very sportsmanlike conduct after the match with USWNT players hugging and comforting Thailand players.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am I saw some very sportsmanlike conduct after the match with USWNT players hugging and comforting Thailand players.
Figures.

:clap:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Where were these complaints after May 27, 2018 when Thailand beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm Where were these complaints after May 27, 2018 when Thailand beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly?
I know you aren't saying they aren't, but I just want to point out that for their part, Thailand seems okay with how it played out.
Last edited by Alefroth on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.businessinsider.com/alex-mo ... cup-2019-6

I have to admit it made me a little teary.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm Where were these complaints after May 27, 2018 when Thailand beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly?
Maybe not applicable because it was a friendly and probably any celebrations got zero coverage, if there were any.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

960 views.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Probably more than were actually in the stands.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is pretty great:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Was only able to watch the first half of that one due to prior commitments, was rooting for Brazil & Marta.

Guess it came down it extra time?

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The match against Spain wasn't very impressive, but it's fitting they won solely on PKs with Spain fouling 18 times versus the USNWTs 4.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:16 pm The match against Spain wasn't very impressive, but it's fitting they won solely on PKs with Spain fouling 18 times versus the USNWTs 4.
Yeah, that was a serious brain fart by the US keeper on the spanish goal - you don't do a short kick to a closely guarded FB right in front of the goal.

The other thing which perplexed me about the game was in the final minutes of the second half injury time - a spanish player went down in the box, in what was probably a dive, but we never got a replay of it. It *could* have actually been a penalty and the Spanish could have maybe tied it and forced extra time.

Rapinoe was definitely out of gas late in the game, and I was wondering if they should take her out, but I kept telling myself she was nails on the PK/Set pieces, and she got that second PK and drilled it, even when the Spanish keeper guessed correctly.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't remember that dive, but in the 90th minute during a corner kick, Rapinoe was actually in a chokehold by a Spanish player and that wasn't reviewed.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

WAYNE ROONEY.

Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

pr0ner wrote:WAYNE ROONEY.

I raise you an Onkwonkwo

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

MLS sides bringing the golazos this week!
Hodor.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Pretty poor performance from the USMNT last night. Started out ok but they were on defense the entire second half, and not by design. They just couldn't hold possession. I don't get what Berhalter sees in Zardes as compared to Altidore(unless it's simply his ability to not be hurt, which is kind of a big deal, unfortunately). But that dude just has zero imagination in the final third against even middling opponents. Of course it's not like he was getting much service either; and then there was the ever present problem of Michael Bradley being, well, Michael Bradley. It's amazing to me that in his 10+ year career on the national team no one has been able to supplant him. He's not awful on defense I'll give him that and his role has morphed into less of a distributor(though he has to be quicker in his decision making to get the ball out of the back) but my gosh he's slow.

It hasn't exactly been a spectacular Gold Cup by anyone thus far and the US still has a great chance to win the thing but they have to have much more inspired play going forward.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Women beat England 2-1. They will play the winner of Netherlands-Sweden on Sunday for the Final.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:07 pm Women beat England 2-1. They will play the winner of Netherlands-Sweden on Sunday for the Final.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:07 pm Women beat England 2-1. They will play the winner of Netherlands-Sweden on Sunday for the Final.
Ouch! :D
Conform or be cast out!
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

They will play the Netherlands. Dammit. :(
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm
Sorry, it was nice to see Sweden take out Germany though.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Soccer Sunday in America! Should be a fun day
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:11 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm
Sorry, it was nice to see Sweden take out Germany though.
Hey! Look at that. We beat England for Bronze medal. I didn't think we would. Then again, we had Brienne of Tarth as goalkeeper.

Best of luck in tomorrow's final, although I will personally root for the Dutch underdogs.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't know what was more awesome: watching the US Women dominate that game (would have been 5 or 6-0 if not for the heroics of the Dutch keeper), or watching in real time as my 10-year-old daughter become absolutely inspired by them doing so.

Congrats to the USWNT, that was one hell of a tourney.

(And man, did that Nike commerical that aired immediately after hit me right in the feels.)

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 pm or watching in real time as my 10-year-old daughter become absolutely inspired by them doing so.
:wub:

Yeah, that ad was something else.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 pm I don't know what was more awesome: watching the US Women dominate that game (would have been 5 or 6-0 if not for the heroics of the Dutch keeper), or watching in real time as my 10-year-old daughter become absolutely inspired by them doing so.

Congrats to the USWNT, that was one hell of a tourney.

(And man, did that Nike commerical that aired immediately after hit me right in the feels.)

Agreed, they were dominant. Well deserved world champions.

The USMNT on the other hand....
As a counter to your daughter's experience my 9yo son was not particularly inspired to continue his soccer career by the men tonight. He did show me a lot of Fortnite videos though.

EDIT: Nice work by the Fox camera crew to linger on the guy with 'chingue su madre' on his shirt. I mean I laughed, but still. You telling me the guys in the truck didn't know what that meant?
OR

-Hiccup
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Meant to post this the other day but life got in the way

Not the humblest of people but dude can kick a ball.
OR

-Hiccup
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

There was a pretty good upset in the Premier League over the weekend. Defending champions Manchester City lost to newly promoted Norwich City, which was not only vastly outclassed but also had to play a bunch of second-stringers due to injuries.

The highlights with local Norwich announcers are pretty fun:

And NBC just posted a mini-documentary about the club's up-and-down history:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It's been a while since this thread was live. In case you were wondering, the rest of Norwich City's season was a disaster and they've been sent back down.

Anyway, I'm posting because Lionel Messi's goal in yesterday's Champions League game was pretty remarkable:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Artificial intelligence.