Jedi: Fallen Order

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by Skinypupy »

I think that looks pretty damn fun.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It looks interesting, but it's still difficult to get an idea on the feel of the gameplay. But kind of looks like Force Unleashed 3.0 to me, which is kind of underwhelming when you consider how long we've waited for a new single-player game. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't look like things have evolved all that much, even graphically.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first thought was that it looks like Tomb Raider/Uncharted and Jedi Knight had a baby. That's not a bad thing. Those were all great games. At the same time, though, my overwhelming feeling while watching the footage was, "I've played this."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This doesn't even look all that Uncharted-like to me though. Camera angle make it look a lot more like Infamous/Force Unleashed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 pm My first thought was that it looks like Tomb Raider/Uncharted and Jedi Knight had a baby. That's not a bad thing. Those were all great games. At the same time, though, my overwhelming feeling while watching the footage was, "I've played this."
Ya Tomb Raider / Jedi Knight is exactly what I got. Was hoping for KOTOR. Meh. I think some of the older cancelled Star Wars games looked better especially Star Wars 1313. But maybe this will be a surprise hit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't think those bugs would hold up that well against a lightsaber. A. Light. Saber.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YoungGrumpyMan

Post by YoungGrumpyMan »

Really enjoyed what I saw from it. Gameplay did look a bit linear and straightforward, but it was the combat that stole the show for me. Gave me huge Sekiro vibes - was there any kind of system similar to the posture system in Sekiro? One enemy bar was the healt, the other one was...?
Anyway, definitely gonna try and play this on hard mode.

Apparently this was played on what, Easy or Normal mode, no? Hated how on EA Play, just before the demo, they tried to frame this as being played by a pro who knows the game and its systems, and then the dude takes some stupid fucking hits from the spiders. Didn't look like that great of a player, and that hurt the showcase, in my opinion. Not that it's a problem with the combat of the game itself.

In terms of graphics, ambience, sound, everything looked/sounded great.

Saw a tweet from April this year, EA Star Wars account, saying this game won't have any loot boxes or microtransactions. If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure they have my money if what we learn more of this game keeps in line with what was shown here. We'll see.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

JCC

Post by JCC »

I think this looks fantastic!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

GreenGoo wrote:
Something about the look is putting me off. Either the animation, or the lighting. Not sure what, but something.
I had the same impression. I think it’s the running animation( it just looks stiff and stilted to me.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wouldn't worry too much about the tech this early on. The way these things usually work is that what we saw was an alpha, with half of a level hurriedly polished enough to show, with half of the game's systems replaced with scripting. They speed-code that in order to be able to show it at E3, then replace - or outright discard - half of what they showed before the game is finished.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Perhaps, but the clunky feel seems to be core, and the weird look of the textures and model edges feels like a throwback to earlier technology, like a decade old technology. It looks very artificial.

Back to animations, for a game like tomb raider or Sekiro or any other 3rd person perspective game, the character needs to feel half ninja and half acrobat if he's a supernatural combatant, imo. And the controls need to be intuitive and fluid. While it's impossible to tell about the controls, obviously, the rest is slightly off-putting because he looks slightly uncoordinated. It's almost as if they used Nick Cage for their motion capture, who is one of the least coordinated, least athletic actors I've ever seen run. Watching him move is cringe worthy. While the game isn't as bad as that, it's not great.

But that's just my initial impression. As you say, there is plenty of development time left and I rarely even look at a game before release, so I'm not a great judge of this stage of development. As with nearly every game I buy, I'll wait for initial impressions and market consensus when the time comes.

Conceptually, the game is right up my wheelhouse (yes, mixed metaphors are fun) and I'm somewhat excited to see what they release.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What I'd really like is an open-world SW game similar to Red Faction Guerilla. I don't think we've ever had that kind of game in the SW Universe before.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm What I'd really like is an open-world SW game similar to Red Faction Guerilla. I don't think we've ever had that kind of game in the SW Universe before.
We almost did then it was cancelled. Heres the old trailer from a few years ago.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

*sigh* That trailer makes me sad of all the lost potential.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A longer gameplay trailer has surfaced, which imho is much better than the first one. The gameplay is now being destribed as metroidesque and Castlevania, whatever that means seeing as I've only ever played the NES games that were linear. But this new gameplay is much more impressive, in particular the part where he's climbing the AT-AT.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

A Metroidvania style Star Wars game sounds awesome to me. And, I liked the E3 footage.

If you played Batman Arkham Asylum - that's a Metroidvania style game.

And, calling Metroid or Zelda linear is a bit silly. There is a linear progression path, but they were doing "open world" games before The Elder Scrolls ever existed.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I wasn't calling Zelda linear. Didn't even mention those games :lol: Yeah, they were quite open-world for their time. But as for Metroidvania, I've only had limited time with those and I only remember them for the platforming.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Now on Steam, although it will still require Origin.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still looks like Tomb Raider / Uncharted in SW to me...normally Id be ok with that but Im not. Meh Im sure others will make up for my disinterest. When this hits $5 in a couple years I might try it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:14 am Now on Steam, although it will still require Origin.
Probably for a different thread, but why put it on Steam and require Origin. I don't buy their games because of Origin. Bah!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That black guy looks like Forest Whitaker.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's because it is. It's his character from Rogue One.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jag

Post by Jag »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:14 am Now on Steam, although it will still require Origin.
Probably for a different thread, but why put it on Steam and require Origin. I don't buy their games because of Origin. Bah!
I wonder if you buy on Steam, will it still show up in your Origin games.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's quite likely. What will happen is you'll be buying a key that's redeemable only on Origins, then when linking your Steam account to Origins, the game will show up on Steam, via API just like GOG Galaxy 2.0 does. The linking of accounts will also allow for MP Crossplay.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Reviews are embargoed until release day, which is potentially concerning.

While I think this looks very cool, I’ll definitely be waiting for some feedback before jumping in.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:31 pm Reviews are embargoed until release day, which is potentially concerning.

While I think this looks very cool, I’ll definitely be waiting for some feedback before jumping in.
Of games where reviews were embargoed, I wonder which one turned out the best? Is there a good reason to do that beyond "we expect the game to get so pilloried by reviews that the hit from embargoing reviews is less than the hit from a wave of shitty reviews"?
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The article I read mentioned that the last Doom game was embargoed as well, so it’s not always a bad thing.

But it’s generally not a good sign.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That's interesting. They gave reviewers open access to 2-3 hours of gameplay in late October for preview articles. All of those I've seen so far have been positive, such as this one from IGN.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order went from being a game that I was cautiously optimistic about to a game I know I’m going to play to one hundred percent completion - and likely - one that I’ll be championing when those heated “Game of the Year” debates start springing up in a few months. I’m really hoping the full game is as deeply rewarding and fun as the chunk I’ve played so far. We’ll know for sure when it releases on November 15th. But for now, there’s hope.
Maybe the curated the area that they allowed reviewers access to, and maybe the rest of the game is garbage. I certainly hope not, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One thing to look for with review embargoes is the timing*. When does the embargo lift? The closer to release the embargo lifts, the more likely it is to be a strategy to hide bad reviews. Ubi, for instance, has lifted embargoes for some really poorly reviewed games hours after the initial release. A good game will often lift them several days in advance (the reason for the embargo being to avoid rushed reviews that miss the game's point in order to scoop the competition.)

Fallen Order's embargo lifts at midnight on launch day. That's a warning sign.

*This doesn't necessarily apply to multiplayer-focused titles which sometimes hold reviews until after the whole community is in place.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have Origin Access Premier so I'll be jumping in day one. Multiple previews I have seen compare the combat to Dark Souls and I am pleased with that. Some may be less pleased and for those there is a "story mode" difficulty. The other thing of note is that it is light side or bust.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have no issue with Dark Souls-style combat, as long as there’s an option for a less punishing difficulty level for us mere mortals (and old dudes who suck at that sort of thing),
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:14 am I have no issue with Dark Souls-style combat, as long as there’s an option for a less punishing difficulty level for us mere mortals (and old dudes who suck at that sort of thing),

Two things I don't enjoy in video games are extended segments that require perfection (IE - one mistake and you're done), and repeating content over and over (which takes it from spending time in that universe to just playing the mechanics.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Screw you, Yiga Clan Hideout! :tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 am Screw you, Yiga Clan Hideout! :tjg:
I found that late, but never really had a problem with it. My kids, though, were not fans.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:20 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:14 am I have no issue with Dark Souls-style combat, as long as there’s an option for a less punishing difficulty level for us mere mortals (and old dudes who suck at that sort of thing),

Two things I don't enjoy in video games are extended segments that require perfection (IE - one mistake and you're done), and repeating content over and over (which takes it from spending time in that universe to just playing the mechanics.)
The Souls games take it to the next level by giving you next to no story. I am pretty sure (hoping) this one will be much more story heavy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I kind of love this ad, even if it says nothing about the actual game.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is pretty awesome.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Reviews are live, and the 5 I’ve read have all been extremely positive.

I’m in, will pick it up tomorrow.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Eurogamer has the most "negative" review that I have read. It's clear to me I would avoid this for a while if it didn't have varied difficulty choices. It also indicates there is some tedious backtracking later in the game. It sounds like there are performance issues as well for consoles. Still not sure if I want this for $60. I have other games to get through right now.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From what I've heard, it's about a 20-hour game. If you believe you can fit 20 hours of gaming into one month, then it becomes a $15 ($20 in Canuckistan) game on PC by subscribing to Origin Access Premier for one month.