SCIENCE and things like that

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

raydude

Re: SCIENCE and things like that

Post by raydude »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 am And while good science is published in all sorts of journals and PNAS is a highly regarded journal (although it has its own issues), a find of this magnitude almost certainly means that De Palma initially tried to publish in Nature and Science (a publication in one of those two journals almost guarantees getting a tenure-track job). If so, I'd be curious to know why reviewers from those journals rejected it...
Yeah, our team on OSIRIS-REx submitted a paper in Nature and it was very rigorous. There was a review panel and they sent the initial submission back to us and asked for more supporting evidence before finally accepting it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Here's some science for you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scientists Say They Can Make Light Travel 30x Faster Than Normal

Scientists at the University of Central Florida say they’ve figured out how to make pulses of light travel 30 times as fast as usual — or even backward.

“We’re able to control the speed of the pulse by going into the pulse itself and reorganizing its energy such that its space and time degrees of freedom are mixed in with each other,” researcher Ayman Abouraddy said in a statement. “We’re very happy with these results, and we’re very hopeful it’s just the starting point of future research.”
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Science is amazing:
The great white shark—a fast, powerful, 16-foot-long torpedo that’s armed to the teeth with teeth—has little to fear except fear itself. But also: killer whales.

In October 1997, fishing vessels near Southeast Farallon Island observed a young white shark interrupting a pair of orcas that were eating a sea lion. One of the whales rammed and killed the shark, and the duo proceeded to eat its liver. More recently, after orcas passed by a South African beach, five great-white carcasses washed ashore. All were, suspiciously, missing their liver.

A great white’s liver can account for a quarter of its body weight, and is even richer in fats and oils than whale blubber. It’s “one of the densest sources of calories you can find in the ocean,” Jorgensen says. “The orcas know their business, and they know where that organ lies.”

Rather than ripping their prey apart, it seems that orcas can extract livers with surprising finesse, despite lacking arms and hands. No one has observed their technique, but the wounds on otherwise intact carcasses suggest that they bite their victims near their pectoral fins and then squeeze the liver out through the wounds. “It’s like squeezing toothpaste,” Jorgensen says.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Why does it sound like the orcas are acting out a Monty Python sketch?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First movie I ever saw alone as a 8 year old...

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That explains a lot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:27 pm First movie I ever saw alone as a 8 year old...
Mad Max of the Sea.

edit: Or maybe Punisher of the Sea. That's probably better.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Late-70s blockbusters are monuments to technicolor and cocaine.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LINK
Could Transparent Wood Become The Way We Build And Heat Our Homes?
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Small amounts of cocaine, pesticides and other contaminants have been detected in U.K. freshwater shrimp.

"We found that the most frequently detected compounds were illicit drugs, including cocaine and ketamine and a banned pesticide, fenuron," said King's College London environmental toxicologist Thomas Miller.
For years, scientists have found trace amounts of illicit drugs, pharmaceuticals and pesticides in drinking water around the world. A newer area of study is looking at how these chemicals impact wildlife living in these ecosystems.
The researchers from King's College London and the University of Suffolk collected samples of Gammarus pulex shrimp in 15 locations in the county of Suffolk, northeast of London. They tested the shrimp for a wide range of pharmaceuticals, pesticides and illicit drugs.

Cocaine was found in samples at every single site. The researchers' paper, published recently in Environment International, says the concentration of cocaine did not fluctuate much between sites, "showing widespread contamination."

Lidocaine, which is used as a local anesthetic and sometimes in tandem with cocaine, was the second most common substance found. The study also detected ketamine, alprazolam and diazepam.
The researchers also found traces of pesticides that are currently banned in the U.K., such as fenuron. Barron added: "The presence of pesticides which have long been banned in the UK also poses a particular challenge as the sources of these remain unclear."
Rosi concluded in a paper published last year that more than 60 pharmaceutical compounds could be detected in aquatic invertebrates and spiders in streams near Melbourne, Australia. In the Nature Communications study, her team also found that animals higher up the food chain like platypuses and gray trout "could in principle be exposed to certain drugs in their diets at levels comparable (up to 50%) to prescribed human doses."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Massive 10-Petawatt Laser Can Vaporize Matter
A laser one-tenth of the sun’s power on Earth officially debuted in March when researchers in Romania ran the first successful test at 10 petawatts (PW). The laser is one of three in an international project in Europe known as Extreme Light Infrastructure. To date, it is the most powerful laser ever built, and it’s the most concentrated power on the planet.

It’s hard to overstate the enormity of 10PW, which equates to 10 million billion watts. It was only a few years ago that this site referred to a mere 1PW laser as a Death Star. The new one is 10 times as strong. As a point of comparison, laser pointers sold in the US are limited to being at most 0.005-watt for safety.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is pretty cool - treated wood that ends up stronger than untreated wood and incredibly good at passive cooling.
But rather than simply being structurally useful, the wood has some properties that could make it extremely useful as cladding, covering the exterior of a building. While most of the cellulose fibers are aligned along the grain of the wood, that alignment is very rough—there's plenty of variability in their orientation. That means light that strikes the processed wood will bounce around within a dense mesh of cellulose fibers, scattering widely in the process. The end result is a material that looks remarkably white, in the same way a sugar cube looks white even though each sugar crystal in it is transparent.

As a result, the material is really bad at absorbing sunlight, and thus it doesn't capture the heat in the same way regular wood does.

But it gets better. The sugars in cellulose are effective emitters of infrared radiation, and they do so in two areas of the spectrum where none of our atmospheric gases is able to reabsorb it. The end result is that, if the treated wood absorbs some of the heat of a structure, wood can radiate it away so that it leaves the planet entirely.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Speleology is science, right? Urban anthropology? Eons ago, before anybody except dbt was born, Wife and I took the 2-3 mile tour of the Paris catacombs that is open to tourists. I had no idea how extensive they were until I read The Invisible City Beneath Paris. If you didn't already know about the catacombs, it will be a revelation.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Berkeley
new study by researchers at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business has found that information acts on the brain’s dopamine-producing reward system in the same way as money or food.

“To the brain, information is its own reward, above and beyond whether it’s useful,” says Assoc. Prof. Ming Hsu, a neuroeconomist whose research employs functional magnetic imaging (fMRI), psychological theory, economic modeling, and machine learning. “And just as our brains like empty calories from junk food, they can overvalue information that makes us feel good but may not be useful—what some may call idle curiosity.”

The paper, “Common neural code for reward and information value,” was published this month by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Authored by Hsu and graduate student Kenji Kobayashi, now a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Pennsylvania, it demonstrates that the brain converts information into the same common scale as it does for money. It also lays the groundwork for unraveling the neuroscience behind how we consume information—and perhaps even digital addiction.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's nice to see future geologists will be able to appreciate just how badly we screwed up the environment:
The dimension of the problem is so large that it is possible our current era will generate an anthropogenic marker horizon of plastic in earth's sedimentary record. Here we present a new type of plastic pollution, the ‘plasticrusts’, plastic debris encrusting the rocky surface, recently discovered in the intertidal rocky shores of a volcanic Atlantic island.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good luck Alabama residents. It would appear your yellow jacket overlords have come:
Imagine a colony of yellow jackets the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, filled with 15,000 of the stinging insects. Now, imagine more than 90 of these super nests in Alabama. It happened in 2006, and Charles Ray, an entomologist working with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, said that 2019 may be shaping up to mirror that year.
Enlarge Image

So what's happening?
It’s called a perennial yellow jacket nest. Entomologists believe that milder winters combined with an abundant food supply allow some colonies to survive and enter spring with much larger numbers. Additionally, the normal cues that would cause queens to disperse may not happen. Researchers have documented that these massive colonies often have multiple queens.
More pictures in the cooperative extension link.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That one guy should have just popped a couple foggers in there and shut the door.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More proof the insect apocalypse is upon us.

https://phys.org/news/2019-07-insect-ap ... chers.html
To demonstrate the rapid decline, a lab technician holds up two bottles: one from 1994 contains 1,400 grammes of trapped insects, the newest one just 300 grammes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also...Mexico gets 5' of hail on a 88 degree day.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/freak-h ... oc-1i37591
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A physicist is going to try to open a window to the mirror universe. What could possibly go wrong?
The mirror world, assuming it exists, would have its own laws of mirror-physics and its own mirror-history. You wouldn’t find a mirror version of yourself there (and no evil Spock with a goatee — sorry "Star Trek" fans). But current theory allows that you might find mirror atoms and mirror rocks, maybe even mirror planets and stars. Collectively, they could form an entire shadow world, just as real as our own but almost completely cut off from us.
OK, that quote is more click-baity than sciencey, but the concept is solid. At least until this experiment rules it out...or doesn't.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Common cold kills cancer in bladder.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48868261

Hope this story is true.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Quantum entanglement photographed.

https://interestingengineering.com/scie ... tanglement

Its such a strange thing that even Einstein couldn't accept it was a real thing.
"Einstein couldn't accept this," J.C. Séamus Davis, a physicist at Cornell University who studies quantum mechanics, previously told Business Insider. "He essentially went to his grave not accepting this as fact, but it's now been shown millions of times to work."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... D=ref_fark

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Climate scientists drive stake through heart of skeptics' argument

What I dont get is with climate deniers ....what would it hurt to do the Earth some good either way?
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 pm Good luck Alabama residents. It would appear your yellow jacket overlords have come:
Imagine a colony of yellow jackets the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, filled with 15,000 of the stinging insects. Now, imagine more than 90 of these super nests in Alabama. It happened in 2006, and Charles Ray, an entomologist working with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, said that 2019 may be shaping up to mirror that year.
Enlarge Image

So what's happening?
It’s called a perennial yellow jacket nest. Entomologists believe that milder winters combined with an abundant food supply allow some colonies to survive and enter spring with much larger numbers. Additionally, the normal cues that would cause queens to disperse may not happen. Researchers have documented that these massive colonies often have multiple queens.
More pictures in the cooperative extension link.
LOL Just saw this. Talk about underestimating. If those are aerial yellow jackets (as opposed to bald faced hornets - still paper wasp family but quite a bit larger) there are waaaaaaay more than 15,000 individuals in that colony. Only aerial yellowjackets and bald faced hornets build open-air paper nests like this. Paper wasp, sensu stricto with regard to common name- build an open face comb type nest.

I used to remove these nests from people's property (we would send the wasps, sans nest, to a lab that extracted the venom for antivenin). The "smaller" nests the size of 2 basketballs would have about 15,000+ wasps. Hymenoptera do not like extra "elbow room." they build a nest as big as they need. Easier to defend and optimal use of material. If they get constrained by the structure, they go elsewhere or chew their way to a larger space. This is why yellowjacket colonies in your walls are not good; they will chew through the sheetrock and then you have problems.

I keep honey bees. If one of my hives is "normal" during the peak of the year, the hive is ~36" high x 14" wide x 20" long. THAT size will have 50,000 adult honey bees, not even counting the larvae or capped brood (pupae). And I do not not anything to artificially boost populations.

honey bees are at least 2x the size of aerial yellowjackets.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had a yellow jacket nest inside the eve of our back roof one summer. They were all over and stung me when Id go to fed the dog. this was around 1998. You could hear them in there. When it cooled down and they were more calm I sprayed the crap out of every crack I found. They never came back.

Around 2002 had a big hornets nest outside the back door. About the size of a large cookie jar. They never bothered anyone. They were big and right by the door but not a single problem from them. They left all on their own. I took down the nest and still have it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scientist react to a cool eel.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure where this story goes buy OH F'N HECKARONY!

6 fingers are handy

Hahah handy.....anyways I saw a guy in the food store once when I was about 12. He had an extra digit like theirs...but more thumb like. Im not sure he could use it though. His hand made me think chicken foot. But these two actually use theirs.
Etienne Burdet is one of those people. He’s a bioengineer at Imperial College London in England. His team worked with a 52-year-old woman and her 17-year-old son. Both were born with six fingers on each hand. Their extra fingers grew between the thumb and index finger. And they resemble thumbs in how they can move.

The researchers studied the anatomy of the subjects’ hands with magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI. It can map body structures. They also looked at activity in the parts of the brain that control the hands. Those scans revealed a dedicated brain system that controls the extra fingers. The sixth digits had their own muscles and tendons. That means they don’t just piggyback on the muscles that move the other fingers, as some doctors had thought.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres one of those super nest on the ground.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Robert Ballard to search for Amelia Earhart's plane.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/cult ... -airplane/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scientists create contact lenses that zoom when you blink twice

How is this possible? In the simplest of terms, the scientists measured the electrooculographic signals generated when eyes make specific movements (up, down, left, right, blink, double blink) and created a soft biomimetic lens that responds directly to those electric impulses. The lens created was able to change its focal length depending on the signals generated.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Scientists discover new beetle species with unique genitalia.
Scientists from the national Forest Service announced Tuesday that they discovered a new species of beetle in Green-Wood Cemetery, claiming the insect touts a never-before-seen package that’s got biologists all worked up, according to a federal forestry technician.

“The male genitalia didn’t match anything we have on file,” said Marc DiGirolomo, the Forest Health Technician who first spotted the beetle, known as Agrilus 9898, during the Forest Service’s survey of the cemetery in 2017.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Many organisms are best identified by their genitalia; it's a trait that often undergoes pretty rapid selection to reduce mis-matched mating. Unfortunately, the article doesn't really go into detail about what makes this beetle's genitalia particularly unique. :coffee:
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

They didnt want to spoil the movie.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Greenland just lost 11 billion tons of ice in 1 day. They should lose only 60 - 70 billion this time of year but lost a whopping 197 billion tons in July alone.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ ... story.html
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One often reads that if all of Greenland's ice melts, sea levels will rise 24'. One reads less often that Greenland has lost about 4' of ice cover in the past 30 years, and the ice overall is >10,000' thick. While the rate of loss is accelerating fast and the seas surely are rising, it's still going to take centuries to get through 10,000+ feet.

Which isn't the same thing as being fine, but it's perspective, anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is an ex-parrot! Squawkzilla was 3' tall.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's one small step for tardigrades...one giant leap for water bears. Dessicated tardigrades might have survived a crash landing on the moon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In a few millennia they'll be back and we'll regret it.