Sandman

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

sgoldj

Re: Sandman

Post by sgoldj »

I always thought a series not related to the comic story line, like the Twight Zone featuring the Endless either as characters or as bookends depending on the story, would be the way to go for the characters. I think it would be more difficult to adapt Sandman than Watchmen for a straight cover of the story, even as an HBO series. If there was going to be an adaptation, in my world, I would just go for the Song of Orpheus story line. That seems pretty accessible, has a classic myth story to relate to, and introduces the whole family.

The Sandman universe is so open, there is no reason for me to want the comic redone as live action. Too many other ways to explore it.

About the Lucifer series, I still enjoy watching, but honestly it is so far removed from the Gaian/Barr character at this time, I watch it as part of DC's multiverse. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaosraven wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:49 am how hard can it be for them to do a series?
Wish granted
After various attempts at a film version collapsed at New Line, Netflix and Warner Bros. Television have reportedly come to a deal to adapt Gaiman’s “Sandman” graphic novel into a live-action TV series for the streamer reports The Live Feed.

Sources for the trade say this will be, by far, the most expensive TV series that DC Entertainment has ever done. Allan Heinberg (“Wonder Woman,” “Grey’s Anatomy”) is set to write and serve as showrunner on the straight-to-series project which will go exclusively to Netflix and not the upcoming WarnerMedia streaming service. Gaiman will executive produce alongside David Goyer.
:shock:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Same thing. Different report I read earlier today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1220761
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So why aren't they going to put this on their streaming service instead of Netflix? Is this another nail in the coffin for the DC Universe service?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hentzau wrote:So why aren't they going to put this on their streaming service instead of Netflix? Is this another nail in the coffin for the DC Universe service?
They're doing this so $iljanus won't have to shell out more $$$ for another damn streaming service.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, if you'd quit spending money on avatar bling...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Well, if you'd quit spending money on avatar bling...
Hey, you're not the boss of me!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:Well, if you'd quit spending money on avatar bling...
Hey, you're not the boss of me!
CHOOKITY POK!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm beginning to suspect you liked Final Space.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What gave it away?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then welcome aboard! :D
hentzau wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:27 pm So why aren't they going to put this on their streaming service instead of Netflix? Is this another nail in the coffin for the DC Universe service?
This would suck. Unless Warner Bros. upcoming service absorbed it AND they still offered the comic library.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing it's a numbers game - and that Netflix has orders of magnitude more subscribers than DC network. If this is going to cost buckets of money, they're going to need to tap into that sweet, sweet revenue stream that the Sandman might provide - particularly now that Marvel has left them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:28 pm I'm guessing it's a numbers game - and that Netflix has orders of magnitude more subscribers than DC network. If this is going to cost buckets of money, they're going to need to tap into that sweet, sweet revenue stream that the Sandman might provide - particularly now that Marvel has left them.
I'm guessing it's a numbers game and that Netflix had a lot more zeroes to throw at Warner Bros to buy the rights to something WB wasn't able (or perhaps willing) to get off the ground on their own. The link I posted suggested they needed cashflow to at JJ Abraams next thing and Netflix was able to provide it.
Sources say Warners, which controls the IP, took the Sandman TV pitch to multiple outlets, including corporate sibling HBO. The premium cable network did not make a play for the series, given the massive price tag attached (and likely number of other big world shows in the works), and Netflix snapped it up as the streamer continues to make an active play for massive IP that could be turned into subscriber-friendly franchises a la Amazon's Lord of the Rings and HBO's Game of Thrones.

Since parting ways with Marvel, Netflix has aggressively pursued big-name IP — like Magic: The Gathering, The Chronicles of Narnia and the works of Roald Dahl — as the streamer courts new subscribers with exclusive new takes on beloved franchises.

The Sandman deal will provide a financial windfall to Warners, which is in final negotiations for a new film and TV pact with J.J. Abrams that could be worth north of $500 million. Sources note that the studio opted to sell it to a third party in a bid to bring additional revenue to the company rather than placing it at its forthcoming streaming service. The studio will next look to re-sign prolific comedy producer Chuck Lorre as the Big Bang Theory co-creator's current deal expires in 2020.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not saying anything that's not public knowledge here, and I have no personal insight into Sandman and why it's going to Netflix at this point (not my part of the business). I can say that WB is planning a streaming service, and given WB's vast TV and movie catalog, it's likely to be one the big players with Netflix and Disney. (Of course, maybe I'm just blinded by the internal corporate rah-rah stuff, so take it for what it's worth.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:43 pm I'm not saying anything that's not public knowledge here, and I have no personal insight into Sandman and why it's going to Netflix at this point (not my part of the business). I can say that WB is planning a streaming service, and given WB's vast TV and movie catalog, it's likely to be one the big players with Netflix and Disney. (Of course, maybe I'm just blinded by the internal corporate rah-rah stuff, so take it for what it's worth.)
<sigh> I really wish content providers would focus on doing what they do and let service providers do what they do. I have zero interest subscribing to a single-provider service.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah. I wish gas, electric and water companies would quit splitting up into different groups and forcing me to pay each of them individually! :P

But yeah, I can understand your point. But as long as they don’t charge a lot, I actually prefer the a la carte approach above the one huge, monthly cable bill that includes 89 channels I don’t watch.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:17 am Yeah. I wish gas, electric and water companies would quit splitting up into different groups and forcing me to pay each of them individually! :P

But yeah, I can understand your point. But as long as they don’t charge a lot, I actually prefer the a la carte approach above the one huge, monthly cable bill that includes 89 channels I don’t watch.
And for which some of those channels equate to several dollars a month from that bill and your service is being held hostage to subsidize a political machine you may or may not agree with (Hint: I don't) I keep getting closer to cutting the cord. I even have a... not so great but will work if I get a wild hair up my ass an cancel everything OTA antenna now. Innertia is a hell of a thing
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Tom Ellis and Matt Ryan to reprise their respective roles, one could hope.