Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

infinitelurker

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by infinitelurker »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 pm Would I like the Witcher 3 GOTY edition? At $14.99 it's tempting me. I do like a good adventure game, and have read much praise for Witcher 3. I do not, however, like frantic realtime combat. The slo-mo VATS combat in Fallout 4 is about as intense as I can handle. I can deal with realtime if it's pausable. I really don't know much about Witcher except that people love it.
I consider it to be one of the best games I've ever experienced. Even if you turn down the difficultly to deal with the combat, I think it is absolutely worth picking up.
-something witty-
JCC

Post by JCC »

Witcher 3 combat is definitely not easy. The game is awesome though.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, I suck at that, so I guess I'll look at other games.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As mentioned, just put the combat on easy - they designed the "Easy" mode for people that are more interested in story than combat. That's how I did it and it's absolutely my #1 game of at least the last decade. Nothing compares. For $15? That's insane.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:31 pm As mentioned, just put the combat on easy - they designed the "Easy" mode for people that are more interested in story than combat. That's how I did it and it's absolutely my #1 game of at least the last decade. Nothing compares. For $15? That's insane.
Thanks for the dissenting POV. I like exploring and interacting with NPCs to unravel a story, fighting when necessary. I don't like fighting to be the whole point. When I can autocalc combat, I usually do.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Witcher 3 is good enough that I'd recommend getting it on sale, putting the difficulty option at the lowest setting ("Just The Story") and giving it a try. It opens with a tutorial that introduces the combat mechanics, so hopefully you should be able to see whether or not you can handle it within the 2-hour playtime window that Steam gives you in their refund policy.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 pm I never do "random mystery key bundles" from anyone, but I just picked up Kingdom Come Deliverance from Fanatical (they have better prices than STEAM sale) and figured for $1.89, why not add two mystery keys. One of them was for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and having apparently hit the random lottery (a Call of Duty game for $0.99???) I will now never do that again.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 pm Kingdom Come is on my short list. This has been an expensive summer, though (unexpected bird supplies), so I'll shoot for the next sale.
Humble Monthly early unlock.
I have but one advocate.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 pm Would I like the Witcher 3 GOTY edition? At $14.99 it's tempting me. I do like a good adventure game, and have read much praise for Witcher 3. I do not, however, like frantic realtime combat. The slo-mo VATS combat in Fallout 4 is about as intense as I can handle. I can deal with realtime if it's pausable. I really don't know much about Witcher except that people love it.
It's worth $15 to see if you like it. You will probably even know in the first couple of hours so you could get a refund.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

JetFred wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 pm I never do "random mystery key bundles" from anyone, but I just picked up Kingdom Come Deliverance from Fanatical (they have better prices than STEAM sale) and figured for $1.89, why not add two mystery keys. One of them was for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and having apparently hit the random lottery (a Call of Duty game for $0.99???) I will now never do that again.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 pm Kingdom Come is on my short list. This has been an expensive summer, though (unexpected bird supplies), so I'll shoot for the next sale.
Humble Monthly early unlock.
Huh. Thanks!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup, that's the luck I've come to know and love. Pay $17 for Kingdom Come Deliverance and then Humble unlocks it for $12.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 am Yup, that's the luck I've come to know and love. Pay $17 for Kingdom Come Deliverance and then Humble unlocks it for $12.
There's at least two of us that paid for Detroit: Becoming Human when Sony pulled PES 2019 from the PS+ service and replaced it with D:BH, so you're not alone.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

infinitelurker wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Hrdina wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 am You married your own daughter? Dastardly Dan indeed!

I played a lot of this game for the few years after it was released, but it's been a while. The box is still up on the shelf above my PC, in case I get the itch again.
:lol: I didn't even notice that!

I say install it give it another spin. It runs well on the latest hardware and even high resolutions.
One of my very first Pc games on my Commodore 64. I adore Pirates! And the remake. I think ill fire it up this weekend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pirates! was one of those NES games I rented over and over.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Did we get a server rollback or something? Noticing some posts that were posted earlier as if they were posted today.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It feels as if we lost a couple DAYS worth of posts.

Any way, any one saw Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription? $4.99 a month (intro, regular $9.99 a month), first month $1, 100 games in library, with more added later.

Some AAA titles like Wolfenstein II, Shadows of War, Forza Horizon 4, etc.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, good to know it's not just me. I was beginning to think I was just imagining it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got a little tired of playing Battletech, decided to try a couple games.

Ran into a bug in Robothorium, level didn't unlock with the trigger and wasn't able to continue. And I don't feel like starting over.

Try to play Bomber Crew again. Got killed on the third mission. WTF?!? Was I that bad or was the game THAT hard? Maybe it's because I was playing the USAAF instead of the Brits?

Decided to play PAKO2... a car chase simulator. The graphics are cute (low-poly) but the driving model is good, loads of fun. I just wish the cops are a BIT slower, or at least, starts a bit slower. The original PAKO was simple, avoid the cops. By adding weapons, PAKO2 is a LOT of fun. And I don't think I was using the secondary weapons. Hahaha. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

'K, so the summer sale is ending and y'all persuaded me that Witcher 3 is worth $15 because I can mostly bypass the fighting (and return it if that sucks too hard). Amnesia: Dark Descent is hard to pass up at $2. So I bought those two. Will probably try Amnesia this week.

At the top of my wishlist is Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition, which has no price or Buy button. There's DOS2 for 26.99, DOS2 Divine Ed for 34.99 (appears to include some physical swag that I don't care about), DOS2 Eternal Ed for 53.99 (LOL no), and a couple of DLCs. So I don't know what to buy. What's the Definitive Ed and why can't I buy it? Is the 25.99 base game what I want (is that the Definitive)? I'm not inclined to spend any more than that.

Cities: Skylines is 7.49; the Deluxe Ed is 9.99 and Steam doesn't say what's deluxe about it. There is a crapload of DLC, including a New Player bundle for 21.11 and a 76.05 Collection with (all?) 17 DLCs. I am leaning toward the base game unless somebody knows what's deluxe about Deluxe.

Same question about Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Ed (4.49) and Deluxe Ed (6.99). It looks like the artbook and soundtrack are easy to pass up, but what about the Precursor's Legacy? Is that a genuine gameplay expansion and is it worth an extra $1.50?

I understand why publishers milk their properties while they can, but I do wish they would clean up their various bundles after the game has aged out -- just one gold edition will do, thanks.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:55 pm At the top of my wishlist is Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition, which has no price or Buy button. There's DOS2 for 26.99, DOS2 Divine Ed for 34.99 (appears to include some physical swag that I don't care about), DOS2 Eternal Ed for 53.99 (LOL no), and a couple of DLCs. So I don't know what to buy. What's the Definitive Ed and why can't I buy it? Is the 25.99 base game what I want (is that the Definitive)? I'm not inclined to spend any more than that.
It appears that Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition = Divinity: Origin Sin 2. That seems like a pretty odd way to name it. I wonder if someone screwed up. At any rate, I do see a Buy button on the DOS: Definitive Ed page, but the Buy button appears to be for the base game. Though maybe that's what was throwing you? That the name doesn't match?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:55 pm At the top of my wishlist is Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition, which has no price or Buy button. There's DOS2 for 26.99, DOS2 Divine Ed for 34.99 (appears to include some physical swag that I don't care about), DOS2 Eternal Ed for 53.99 (LOL no), and a couple of DLCs. So I don't know what to buy. What's the Definitive Ed and why can't I buy it? Is the 25.99 base game what I want (is that the Definitive)? I'm not inclined to spend any more than that.
It appears that Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition = Divinity: Origin Sin 2. That seems like a pretty odd way to name it. I wonder if someone screwed up. At any rate, I do see a Buy button on the DOS: Definitive Ed page, but the Buy button appears to be for the base game. Though maybe that's what was throwing you? That the name doesn't match?
Are you talking about Steam?

DOS2 is the base at $26...the Definitive Edition includes Includes Divinity: Original Sin II and Digital Art Books, Map, Soundtrack, and Art Pack!.

If you want to see whats what just click on one to open its store page then scroll down. All versions will be listed and it lists what each includes under each. I never usually buy anything but the base game if its digital because I dont give a rats ass about in game items or digital art crap. If I want that stuff I buy the boxed ones. Or I used it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have Halcyon 6. There's the olde version and the Lightspeed version. I had the olde version and they automatically gave me the newer Lightspeed version. The Lightspeed version that's been modified to play a little faster. I haven't played it too much. I guess the deluxe version probably has both.
Anyrate I can highly recommend it but be prepared for olde style graphics.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BTW my post is about the Steam desktop app. Im not sure on the website. Should be the same.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 pm
Yeah, two different names for the same product. That's what I suspected but I wasn't sure.
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:16 pm
DOS2 is the base at $26...the Definitive Edition includes Includes Divinity: Original Sin II and Digital Art Books, Map, Soundtrack, and Art Pack!.
That's the Divine Ed. Apparently "Definitive" is just confusing marketing.

Thanks for the replies; I'll pick up the base game before the sale is over.
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:28 pm Anyrate I can highly recommend it but be prepared for olde style graphics.
Retro graphics are not my favorite thing, but I can adapt if the game is good. I've replayed MOO2 and original XCom within the past few years, and the years were not kind to their looks.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, Witcher 3 is available at Humble Store for $15, and you download it from GOG (which makes it DRM free, not sure if it makes a difference)

------

Trying to kinda break my Battletech addiction, and tried to play Starpoint Gemini Warlords. It's a bit reminiscent of Starpoint Gemini 1 and 2, but apparently they threw in some meta gaming where you can apply your credits to build mining facilities and win over sectors, making it a weird mix between SG and Elite.

Just upgraded myself to a Corvette (upgrade from "gunboat") but I can't afford the best weapons yet. Making money is a slow endeavor so far. Easiest money is to go out and salvage derelicts, but that's tedious, as you buy some salvage drones at the starbase, find a derelict field, then you go up to 4000 m of each derelict and hit "send salvage drone", then wait X seconds while the drones take apart the ship, then you hit "collect all" which uses the grappler beam to pull in stuff. As each derelict field can have up to two dozen objects, this becomes tedious, and feels just like mining gas pockets or asteroids. LAME. You go back and sell all the stuff you salvaged.

A bounty mission pays more and is over much faster.

There is a storyline that barely makes sense. You're some sort of "commander" onboard an experimental battleship launched by a polity in the Gemini sector, and somehow, you've been ambushed by enemies that managed to destroy the battleship. You ended up in an escape pod, and somehow you have been demoted to command a gunboat and have to go out and find your own way by tracking down why did a "terrorist organization" decided to go after the battleship, and what sort of conspiracy is this action hiding. But this navy makes zero sense. There is no standard uniform, there is no command structure, and a battleship that can't defend itself much is pretty useless. OTOH, the game now has more fun options, like an improved "marine" interface (where your marines run through different rooms on the ship, and you can just raid the cargo deck for loot, or actually go for the bridge to capture the ship (and sell it later). Later, I guess I'll be able to affect the economy more directly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres an article on the normal game of DDOS2 and the 'Definitive'edition...there does seem to be a difference.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... s-striking

More there to read but heres a sample.
Larian visited the Eurogamer office to show me the new and improved Definitive Edition of Divinity: Original Sin 2 last week. To do this the developer ran two versions of the game - old and new - side by side to highlight the differences. On one screen we had DOS2 as it exists now, played on a gaming laptop; and on the other screen we had the Definitive Edition of DOS2 played on an Xbox One X dev kit. The difference was striking.

It wasn't a Digital Foundry-style controlled test, with the laptop fans wheezing and picture coming through an older 1080p screen, but it got the point across. The Xbox One X version, running in 4K resolution and with high dynamic range enabled, was brighter, crisper and more vibrant. It was smoother and more responsive too, and will apparently run native 4K30 on Xbox One X, and dynamic checkerboard 4K30 on PS4 Pro.

The reasons for the differences run deeper than hardware. The physics engine has been changed for the Definitive Edition and numerous improvements have been made, making the game up to four times faster in certain areas. The fire effect, for example - which spreads across a lot of environments a lot of the time - has been changed for one more economical and arguably better looking too. It's a similar story for many of the game's 'surfaces', and textures have been improved as well.
Says its a free update as stated for PC users. But as you say I cant tell if its a download someplace to get the extra stuff or just part of the normal edition now.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

So apparently today is National Video Game Day - not to be confused with the National Video Games Day in September (huh?)

Damn, I should have called in sick.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Birthday's this month so I got a 50% off at Matrix/Slitherine. What to spend my money on?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bought the DDOS2, which may or may not be Definitive...the Cities Skylines (not deluxe)...and Halcyon 6. Together with Witcher 3 and Amnesia, this concludes the Steam sale for me.

Now I hope one of those will draw me back into gaming. I'm not enthused about starting any of them, but will dutifully give each one a chance.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:50 pm Birthday's this month so I got a 50% off at Matrix/Slitherine. What to spend my money on?
Field of Glory: Empires releases this week, that's a good choice.

This is the first I've heard about 50% off on your birthday month at Matrix/Slitherine and I've been buying from them for years. Is this new?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was notified of some big sale there recently and it wasn't my birthday. I remember it being surprising because I cant recall them ever having a big sale. And Ive known about them since the VGA Planets days.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:50 pm Birthday's this month so I got a 50% off at Matrix/Slitherine. What to spend my money on?
Field of Glory: Empires releases this week, that's a good choice.

This is the first I've heard about 50% off on your birthday month at Matrix/Slitherine and I've been buying from them for years. Is this new?
I have 15 years with them. The percentage might have to do with that but yes, every birthday they give you a discount.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I ended up getting Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich. I had the olde ones right here but wasn't sure how they'd work on the newer systems.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For grins, I started playing Yakuza 0. I had the graphics quality set on ULTRA and it's indeed, excellent. The Yakuza games have excellent faces, with the "bad guys" looking suitably sinister with pocked faces and such. OTOH, I don't like the minigames that much. I really really suck at them, except the claw game. I am EXCELLENT at those. And the game is really meta in that they have SEGA arcade centers. Hahaha! But I suck at Karaoke, Batting, and probably a few other things.

And the side missions (substories) are hilarious, at least the "yanki style" one was hilarious. Enjoying it so far.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying out Bounty Train. This is NOT Railroad Tycoon or any derivatives thereof. It's basically an RPG except you also travel from town to town hauling supplies. It's far more like Elite than one suspects. I set the game to "baby" difficulty level and just playing with it. The most frustrating thing is lack of powerful locomotives, as the cargo you haul varies in weight. Steel can be like 2 tons per unit, while cotton is 0.1 ton per unit. And your cargo car can fit 5 (small) or 10 (medium) units. But if your train can't haul it, then it doesn't matter. Steel obviously makes the most money, but usually, your train is unable to carry more than 2 unit of it, making it NOT that profitable to haul, when something like tobacco or even cotton may be more profitable.

You can also haul passengers, which improves relations/reputations of cities to you. But you need a passenger car for that. But if you don't haul a passenger car, you can improve your carrying capacity. Yet you need a caboose to haul crew. It can get complicated.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sometimes I get tired of gaming. Usually because of days like today. I have about three hours free today, finally, to do some gaming. I check my email and get a response from the Rockstar support ticket I put in the other day with some things to try. I spend an hour and a half changing settings, testing, changing settings, testing. Still nothing. Finally the tech gives up and passes me on to someone else I'm still waiting to hear back from. So I decide to set up some WoW, which has sounded fun for a while. I reinstalled it last week, so I get my backed-up addon files (Twitch's format) and... they won't install. I spend the next hour trying to research the issue, putting in a ticket through Twitch, and then discovering that Twitch is infamous for having a support turnaround time measured in months.

Now my time is up. I have yet to play a game. My gaming time was instead spent trying to fix games. :grund:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find it ironic that Twitch wouldn't have a more speedy turnaround time given its name ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an email from Steam telling me 21 items on my wishlist are on sale....and its not even a big Steam sale. Strange days.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, actually I've often gotten a list longer than during the big seasonal sales. It's gotten to the point that I won't buy something right away even if it's on sale as I always know it will eventually be on sale again later on. And then of course you have the midweek sales and it feels like there's always constantly a sale somewhere.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally bought some American Truck Simulator DLC (New Mexico, I think?) that was on my wishlist just so I would stop getting emails about it going on sale.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm Got an email from Steam telling me 21 items on my wishlist are on sale....and its not even a big Steam sale. Strange days.
It's a big space exploration sale. I bet you have a lot of space games on your wish list.