Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Smoove_B »

Montag wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 pm Any OO experience with Middara?
I'm trying! I picked up a copy right as I was moving as it seemed to tick all the boxes I was looking for. The issue now is simply time for me as I'm up to my eyeballs in boxes.

I honestly don't care for the theme and/or art style. Instead, I was drawn to the idea of playing what has been described as a board game version of Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I really like how the story changes based on choices and discoveries and that the game hides things from you using the old-school red-lens trick. The "Five in Five" video from One Stop Coop Shop is solid:

There's the story/campaign play (which is based out of a ~500 page spiral bound book, a hunt mode (where you fight advanced monsters) and a one-shot crawl mode where you can just experiment with different characters and builds if you want a single session adventure.

I wish I could offer some practical hands-on experience, but I'm backing the current KS with the hopes that by the time it ends, I'll have been able to put a few hours into it. I don't know if Gloomhaven is a reference point for you, but I've been told that Gloomhaven is more combat/puzzle focused - trying to figure out or puzzle out the optimal moves each round. Middara has combat, but the focus is more on the story/narrative and the events that happen. Kingdom Death (which I do have experience with) is also more focused on a narrative, but not really about individual characters. Again, I can't confirm it with hand-on experience, but it seems to be the general consensus from comparisons I've read.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm I won't be there this year due to the cost, but I'll be rooting for you all from home!
Turns out I will be at GenCon this year after all. It'll only be for Sunday (the badge for Sunday is only $15), and I won't really have spending money, but at least I'll get to be there. As I've been offered both room and transport, the $15, plus the gas to get to Indy (which is only two hours away) are all it will cost me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

My copy of "Unbroken" arrived yesterday.
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

And it's coming up on the time to finalize my Tainted Grail pledge and I am really waffling on going with the Sundrop option. Leaning towards no but wondering if anyone here has done that before or is doing it for this?
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 am And it's coming up on the time to finalize my Tainted Grail pledge and I am really waffling on going with the Sundrop option. Leaning towards no but wondering if anyone here has done that before or is doing it for this?
I thought about this, but - ultimately - I can't justify the cost for what would basically be equivalent to me buying the Army Painter dip and doing it myself. Also, if you plan to do any painting at all, this is at best a waste of money or, at worst, a hindrance. That said, with the number of minis, if you never want to mess with this on your own, it does make the details pop. For my money, I would rather have more stuff than the Sundrop version (and I that was the choice I had to make, given the cost of the game).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I did the Sundrop on Nemesis. It looks great and definitely makes the game look better on the table. But I skipped it for Tainted Grail. It didn't seem like there were enough miniatures to warrant it. I keep telling myself that maybe someday I'll take up painting... and then I'll do something about the miniatures.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks, was wondering if anyone did that for Nemesis. I've got no plans to get back into painting them and while it's awesome they have a professional paint option, it's too rich for my blood. Still waffling but appreciate the feedback. 8-)
-mf
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on Middara (Act 1 only, I do have my limits). I'm just a sucker for those gigantic dungeon crawls and Tom Vasel liked it. The threads I've read on it in the FB Solo Board Gamers book are very positive as well. If nothing else, it seems like you get a LOT of gameplay per dollar. Unlike a lot of people, I also dig the theme - I love anime and JRPGs so that's actually a positive for me compared to some generic fantasy setting.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:20 pm I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on Middara (Act 1 only, I do have my limits). I'm just a sucker for those gigantic dungeon crawls and Tom Vasel liked it. The threads I've read on it in the FB Solo Board Gamers book are very positive as well. If nothing else, it seems like you get a LOT of gameplay per dollar. Unlike a lot of people, I also dig the theme - I love anime and JRPGs so that's actually a positive for me compared to some generic fantasy setting.
Ditto, I pulled the trigger.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nothing about...

This amused me:
If the phrase "12+17" makes you feel unhappy, Prêt-à-Porter might be not the game for you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am tempted to get this for my sister.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:52 pm
Montag wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:13 pm Any OO experience with Middara?
I'm trying! I picked up a copy right as I was moving as it seemed to tick all the boxes I was looking for. The issue now is simply time for me as I'm up to my eyeballs in boxes.

I honestly don't care for the theme and/or art style. Instead, I was drawn to the idea of playing what has been described as a board game version of Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I really like how the story changes based on choices and discoveries and that the game hides things from you using the old-school red-lens trick. The "Five in Five" video from One Stop Coop Shop is solid:

There's the story/campaign play (which is based out of a ~500 page spiral bound book, a hunt mode (where you fight advanced monsters) and a one-shot crawl mode where you can just experiment with different characters and builds if you want a single session adventure.

I wish I could offer some practical hands-on experience, but I'm backing the current KS with the hopes that by the time it ends, I'll have been able to put a few hours into it. I don't know if Gloomhaven is a reference point for you, but I've been told that Gloomhaven is more combat/puzzle focused - trying to figure out or puzzle out the optimal moves each round. Middara has combat, but the focus is more on the story/narrative and the events that happen. Kingdom Death (which I do have experience with) is also more focused on a narrative, but not really about individual characters. Again, I can't confirm it with hand-on experience, but it seems to be the general consensus from comparisons I've read.
I have backed the reprint Kickstarter, which is the first board game I’ve ever backed. Have heard it described in multiple reviews as “Final Fantasy in a box”, which sounds perfect for me.

Guess I’ll find out next May(ish), when I actually get a copy. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed it too, and I don’t even like JRPGs.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

After a lot of reflection, I'm probably going to pass on Middara. But not because of the game. I love the concept, I love giant box dungeon crawls. Everything I've read says the asking price is more than reasonable for the amount of stuff you get.

However, I keep coming back to whether or not I'm REALLY going to sit down and play a 90+ hour game. I'm going through Gloomhaven now, but it's with a weekly group. The chances of Middara ever getting to my group table is slim to none, because I just don't see them jumping into another game that big after GH. If I bought this, it would have to be with the expectation I'd be playing it solo.

And then there's that looming $200+ worth of Street Masters staring down at me this fall...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have the game and I find myself with the same thoughts! It's been a pretty crazy ~3 weeks for me with the move and I've started to wonder if I'm drawn to these longer campaign games because I like the idea more than my actual ability to play them. It's no different than PC gaming for me any more. If I can sit for an hour or two to play a game that's great, but to stay focused on something for 90+ hours anymore? Feels unrealistic. I know Middara will be a completely solo effort, yet I just checked and my copy of Gloomhaven is untouched after 1.5 years. Feeling low.

EDIT: I can at least say that the official Middara tutorial videos are some of the best I've ever seen.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have no illusions that I’ll actually finish a 90-hour campaign. It’s never gonna happen. Heck, I probably won’t get even halfway through something that massive.

But if I get 20, 30, or 40 hours of fun out of it (I’m probably around 30 with GH right now), then I usually feel it’s well worth the investment and that I got my money’s worth. I expect that’ll be the case with Middara.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I keep hoping - not only for my bigger board games but any of the larger computer games as well. But I'm a card-carrying member of the cult of the new and there's always something over the next hill...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If the game is good enough, I'll play it enough to get my money's worth. I've got easily 80 hours of Gloomhaven under my belt over the last 2 years. And I'm still planning on another 40 or 50 with the remaining solo and side quests, as well as the expansion I picked up.

Also, when I retire to a beach resort in 10 years or so, I'm just going to purchase an extra guest house with 8 tables. Then I'll just keep 8 different games going at the same time.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

In on DinoGenics and the expansion.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Time for a mid-year status report. I've done an OK job of cutting back on Kickstarters over the past year or so. Backed over the past 12 months:
  • Drive Thru Reviews (boardgaming YouTube channel)
  • No Pun Included (boardgaming YouTube channel)
  • Pax Pamir 2nd Ed (technically pre-ordered after the kickstarter closed)
  • Master Monk dice tower
  • Dinogenics expansion
  • 1,000 Year Old Vampire (solo RPG)
The last 3 are pending, but I have no concerns about them delivering a good experience.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You guys twisted my arm on Middara. :D

Actually it was the How to Play videos that pushed me over the edge. They just reinforced that this game is COMPLETELY in my zone. In for Act 1.

Two other things I really liked:

- Designed to be played once a week for 6 months. Considering I'll be doing this solo, I anticipate getting in at least 2 sessions a week which makes it seem not quite so overwhelming.

- The idea that the campaign proceeds win or lose makes it seems much more doable, since you won't be wasting time replaying scenarios over and over again. I also really liked this about JOURNEYS IN MIDDLE EARTH, and it's one of the mechanics that inspired me to play through that campaign twice.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

STFU!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And the debacle of Unbroken continues. I just received the following email from Golden Bell (the company that shipped it).
Finally, I am writing to let you know that we really need your help. As described in the April Kickstarter update, the campaign has run into significant trouble because shipping costs were considerably under-estimated. As a result, the project is currently running at a significant loss. In addition to this, we have come under fire from a lynch mob of backers due to the delay that was caused by one of our Founders, Rachel, being diagnosed with a tumor, and one of our associates Nikki suffering a mental breakdown due to the harassing comments she was receiving due to the delays. We are extremely sorry for this and hope you understand.

We would greatly appreciate it if you could help us cover the actual shipping cost of the game – that would require an additional payment of $15 for US backers, but we are asking for $10 as we are willing to personally take a hit on the project even if that means the game won’t be profitable to us until an expansion is hopefully made. Providing this optional payment would ensure the financial feasibility of Unbroken and help us create more content for the game in the future. We regret having to ask for this and we do not make this request lightly but are really counting on backers’ understanding and support in this difficult situation we’re facing.
I hate to say this, but Golden Bell brought a lot of this on themselves. They tried to scam USPS by attempting to ship the games as media mail and they got caught. They also spent a LOT of time taunting anyone who criticized their actions, or took issue with the shipping times, instead of just taking the high road and avoiding all out name calling and nasty fighting in the game's comments section. They're like a "how not to" guide for future kickstarter entrepreneurs.

In addition, the 15 bucks on top of the original cost of shipping seems inordinately high considering that the game is a small box game. I pay that much in shipping for games 4 times that size. But I'm not in the business of freight, so I could be wrong.

The game itself is fine (although kind of easy). And the actual designer seems like a genuinely nice guy who attempted to be the adult in the room at all times. But I doubt I'll be backing any games in the future that Golden Bell are associated with after all this.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FYI, in case folks are interested and want to get in on the first day, Awaken Realms is supposed to be launching their Etherfields tomorrow.
Well, now the time has come for Etherfields to finally see the light of the day! This game was quite a looooong time hidden in our development chambers and now, on 16th of July (5pm CEST time) we will launch a Kickstarter for this project.

If cooperative, adventure Dream Crawler sounds like something that might interest you, make sure to check out Etherfields Draft page! As with Nemesis there will be a pretty awesome bonus for all Day 1 backers - Thorn Knight!
Man vs. Meeple preview.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:08 pm FYI, in case folks are interested and want to get in on the first day, Awaken Realms is supposed to be launching their Etherfields tomorrow.
This terrifies me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hadn't heard of this at all. I'm...intrigued.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'll probably back it. Granted I've only gotten Nemesis so far. But Tainted Grail is shaping up nicely. And they clearly put a lot of effort into their projects.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm already in full on Tainted Grail. That's about all the speculative game types I can stomach at these prices.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you missed out, Dice Throne is doing a solo/coop adventure game Kickstarter, allowing people to also get in on the older stuff. I didn't realize the S2 materials were so much better than the S1 box I have, and having just introduced someone to the game a few weeks ago, he's now going off the deep end with this - mission accomplished. I can say it's quite fun to play PvP - the mix of cards and dice are fantastic - so getting this Adventures game is a no-brainer for me.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Even though I don't play Warhammer any more, I really like the look of this stuff and will be backing it.

Battle Systems Fantasy Wargame Terrain
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I think I'm in on that as well. After the move I've realized how much space I've lost. Storing board games is tough enough, but trying to keep scenery and set pieces for miniatures has become a problem. I was considering this system as a way to keep scenery for games like Frostgrave (solo variant coming in the Fall) and Rangers of Shadow Deep - scenery that I can disassemble and story in much smaller containers. This stuff looks really good and all the stretch goals you get with a core pledge are impressive.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:16 pmAnd I did.
Did you find the secret stuff on the the KS page - things you can find (print and play) and add to your game via print and play?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:16 pmAnd I did.
Did you find the secret stuff on the the KS page - things you can find (print and play) and add to your game via print and play?
I didn't. Though I didn't read through it all that closely. Honestly, I rarely get through the content that I get. Having more isn't generally that useful for me. :)

Black Lives Matter

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm Yeah, I think I'm in on that as well. After the move I've realized how much space I've lost. Storing board games is tough enough, but trying to keep scenery and set pieces for miniatures has become a problem. I was considering this system as a way to keep scenery for games like Frostgrave (solo variant coming in the Fall) and Rangers of Shadow Deep - scenery that I can disassemble and story in much smaller containers. This stuff looks really good and all the stretch goals you get with a core pledge are impressive.
I'm seriously thinking about buying into their Shanty Town set for F:WW.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

If anyone wants to be talked out of the Middara kickstarter, the latest So Very Wrong About Games podcast has you covered.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm Yeah, I think I'm in on that as well. After the move I've realized how much space I've lost. Storing board games is tough enough, but trying to keep scenery and set pieces for miniatures has become a problem. I was considering this system as a way to keep scenery for games like Frostgrave (solo variant coming in the Fall) and Rangers of Shadow Deep - scenery that I can disassemble and story in much smaller containers. This stuff looks really good and all the stretch goals you get with a core pledge are impressive.
I don’t see the shanty town as an option in the Kickstarter. I see it on their website for sale though.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 pm
hentzau wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm
I don’t see the shanty town as an option in the Kickstarter. I see it on their website for sale though.
Yeah, I missed that kickstarter unfortunately. I was talking about purchase outright.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was trying to look at the FAQ or anything suggesting that you'd be able to pledge a $1 here and purchase the Shanty Town in the pledge manager as an add-on, but if it's for sale on their website, I'd guess no.

I did see this regarding the details of how much space this could take up:
The terrain is supplied flat-packed on A4 size sheets and is therefore quite compact. A starting pledge will take up a space approximately 12" x 9" x 3", although this may increase as stretch goals are reached. With the exception of any glued scatter terrain, the terrain will pack back down to the same size if you don’t want to leave it assembled.

While it is compact, the high-density card makes it relatively heavy. We expect a starting pledge to weigh 3-4kg (6.6-8.8lbs), and as above this may increase as stretch goals are reached.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm I was trying to look at the FAQ or anything suggesting that you'd be able to pledge a $1 here and purchase the Shanty Town in the pledge manager as an add-on, but if it's for sale on their website, I'd guess no.

I did see this regarding the details of how much space this could take up:
The terrain is supplied flat-packed on A4 size sheets and is therefore quite compact. A starting pledge will take up a space approximately 12" x 9" x 3", although this may increase as stretch goals are reached. With the exception of any glued scatter terrain, the terrain will pack back down to the same size if you don’t want to leave it assembled.

While it is compact, the high-density card makes it relatively heavy. We expect a starting pledge to weigh 3-4kg (6.6-8.8lbs), and as above this may increase as stretch goals are reached.
Despite the weight, shipping isn't horrible. Of course, I'm assuming it's coming over on a garbage scow.