Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 amtl;dr: Finish what you start.
I'll try. :D

So far I've just been hitting the highlighted way points on the map, but can see how things can spiral as they open up. Just unlocking Trevor's airstrip has created an opening to run endless weapon drops (as far as I can tell). I can easily see myself wanting to use these things to make cash to afford upgrades on cars and guns.

Should I be doing this all "Online" - or is that just for Multiplayer? I'm not big on multiplayer, but really enjoyed the heist and can see how that could be awesome (and frustrating) with others.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first piece of advice would be to get a controller. You can drive and fly with KB&M, but it will never give you the control that's needed.

Online is multiplayer only. I, Brian, BadDemographic, and BD's husband have been playing for a couple of years now. It is a ton of fun. There are businesses to run (I'm currently running a weed business, a meth lab, a smuggling business, a counterfeiter, a gun running operation, and some others I'm likely forgetting, coordinated through a nighclub, a bunker, and underground facility, and mobile command centers.) There are hundreds of missions, plus all sorts of other activities (races, stunts, etc.) There are numerous heists, all of which you do with other humans. I strongly recommend that you do it with friends, though. Random internet people are going to be an exercise in frustration - and likely futility - on heists. Too much coordination and communication is required, especially for some of the larger heists. And getting in with a friend who's played a little will make the first few sessions fun rather than frustrating.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Paingod, I'd be willing to set aside any specific night of the week (except Thursday and Sunday) if you want to team up with a fellow human.

This might also be a good opportunity for Blackhawk and his son as his son is new to the game as well and hasn't done any of the heists yet.

Also, be sure to check out the link here to set yourself up with $1.2M in the online game.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 amMy first piece of advice would be to get a controller. You can drive and fly with KB&M, but it will never give you the control that's needed.
I respectfully disagree. In GTA IV and Watch_Dogs, I never had any issues keeping up with or beating humans who were likely using controllers. In Watch_Dogs I did a few online races and routinely came in 1st or 2nd. I've been driving in GTA with a keyboard since the original came to PC. I have a controller sitting next to my computer that I use for other games, but found that it felt sluggish and sloppy trying to control my car with it. Accelerating with a keyboard may be all or nothing, but I've gotten good at tapping keys as needed and controlling it with relative precision.

In my first flight with Trevor, I was skimming the water's surface and flew under 5 bridges before I bumped one and crashed. I don't know how a controller would make that better. It wasn't a control issue, but rather a depth perception issue. :confusion-shrug:

Added benefit: Headshots are a breeze with a mouse.
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 amThere are businesses to run (I'm currently running a weed business, a meth lab, a smuggling business, a counterfeiter, a gun running operation, and some others I'm likely forgetting, coordinated through a nighclub, a bunker, and underground facility, and mobile command centers.) There are hundreds of missions, plus all sorts of other activities (races, stunts, etc.)
Aside from heists, do these other activities require much teamwork - or are you all mostly just existing in the world together? What opportunities are there for people to ruin your fun (griefing) aside from cutting out of a heist before it finishes?
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In previous versions, I'm on k/m on foot, and I pick up the controller when in a vehicle.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:52 am In previous versions, I'm on k/m on foot, and I pick up the controller when in a vehicle.
I'd get my cables all tangled. People routinely tell me I should use a controller for vehicles, but I've never had a problem like they think I should. Don't get me wrong - when I first played GTA with my keyboard, my cars were all over the road - but I learned how to taptaptap buttons as needed and it's a reflex now that doesn't require thought. I'm tempted to join you all online just to show off how well I ping-pong down the highway without fancy analog sticks.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Keyboard is all or nothing on every control handled with a stick or trigger. Turning, accelerating, braking. Where subtlety in control is beneficial, a controller will almost always work better. Where precision and speed are required, a KB/M will almost always work better.

That's not to say that someone who is good with a KB/M won't beat someone who is just OK with a controller (and vice-versa on something like a fighting game or RTS where the keyboard is better), just that the learning curve, available options, and skill ceiling are going to be better with the ideal control option.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:03 pm Keyboard is all or nothing on every control handled with a stick or trigger. Turning, accelerating, braking. Where subtlety in control is beneficial, a controller will almost always work better. Where precision and speed are required, a KB/M will almost always work better.

That's not to say that someone who is good with a KB/M won't beat someone who is just OK with a controller (and vice-versa on something like a fighting game or RTS where the keyboard is better), just that the learning curve, available options, and skill ceiling are going to be better with the ideal control option.
I do understand the argument for controllers. I just never felt the need. An action in GTA isn't instant with a keyboard. Pressing "W" doesn't rocket me forward - it accelerates me. Releasing "W" stops accelerating me and I roll forward unaided. Another tap of "W" and I can maintain my speed easily. Pressing "A" doesn't jerk my car hard left instantly. It starts a turn left that I can interrupt by letting go of "A".

In 99% of my driving, though, I'm full-throttle accelerating and tapping left or right until it's time to turn down a street. I release acceleration, brake as needed and resume acceleration halfway through the turn to pick up my momentum and go.

The only thing I can't do is easily maintain a specific "slow" speed - but thankfully, no one is out there imposing speed limits and issuing tickets. Even going slow is just pressing "W" every second or two; I just can't maintain 30mph. I go 28, 30, 32, 30, 28, 30, 32...
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know others who drive keyboard only. I didn't mean to imply that it can't be done. Just that it's more limited. If you're getting the job done, more power to you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I've stopped trying to convince people that controllers are awesome for 3rd person action games on PC. I get the resistance. All I know is that it changed everything for me and I'll never go back - saying that as a hardcore M/KB player for everything else.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 am Since you're all vets now and probably played this to death, are there any words of wisdom you wish you had when you first started playing?
Assuming you're playing to experience the story, resist the urge to go "off script". There are endless distractions - endless. If you're playing to focus on the story, make sure that's all you're going to do in that session. Ignore opportunities. Ignore side missions that pop up. Ignore checking out things in the distance. I would alternate between focusing on the story and then just goofing off - and it still took me around 58 hours to finish the campaign. Of course you're going to need to do some side stories to progress the main story, instead I'm referencing the random events the game throws at you or the stories unrelated to the overall campaign. That being said, there are some really cool random events, which is why I made sure to mix up my play time.

tl;dr: Finish what you start.
GTA 5 is one of the few open world games I've finished. And I did that twice. It's a brilliant, brilliant game, and one of my all time favorites.

And yes, I would agree with this advice. It's really easy to get sidetracked, but the side missions are all so well done that I didn't mind getting lost doing side quests and letting the story simmer a bit.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm Yeah, I've stopped trying to convince people that controllers are awesome for 3rd person action games on PC. I get the resistance. All I know is that it changed everything for me and I'll never go back - saying that as a hardcore M/KB player for everything else.
Although I do switch to KB/M anytime I'm not in a vehicle. My controller is wireless, and I have a stand for it that sits right behind my keyboard, so there isn't any reaching or fiddling. I can pick it up or put it down before the enter/exit animation finishes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had some real enjoyment by taking long walks and bike rides. One walk started on the east side of Los Santos, in the oil field I think. I walked through the city all the way to the beach/Santa Monica-ish location. You miss so many details by always riding and flying. It's really cool to do it before you've played the game for hours and hours, since you see things for the first time up close and slowly.

Speaking of bicycles, I built several races using the Online Race Creator that use bicycles so you can go through really narrow locations. Bikes are really cool this way, you can see parts of San Andreas not visible from the road. I think my handle in Rockstar was "jztemple" "jztemple2" so you can search for them that way. I also built several motorcycle races.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn, now I have to go re-install the game again :roll:. I got it through Rockstar so I had to figure out how to get it to start the download without having my old activation key. Happily I have the needed set up tool still in a folder, so I'm downloading now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I've been playing the crap out of this, but rather than vanilla it's been on LCPDFR, the mod that turns you into a police officer and re-makes the game as a law enforcement simulator (if you RP it a bit) - https://www.lcpdfr.com/ The new version is out and if you spice it up with some playerbase add-on scripts and download some of the player made vehicles it's really fun...and free.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It seemed to be taking forever to download through the Social Club, so I decided to splurge and buy a copy through Steam since the sale is on. I'm glad I did, since with the other purchases I made this sale, or for some other reason I don't understand, I got a five dollar discount :roll:. Anyway, at least it will be in my Steam library so I don't have to fiddle with the Social Club any more. I'm losing a game save that had about 57% progress, but that was from 2-3 years ago so no big loss.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I spent last night playing around in GTA Online and had a pretty good time overall. I skipped the "free" $1.2m as I didn't feel like signing up for a Twitch account and have no need for more junk mail in my junk box.

As my first car, I chose to take a BF Injection (Off Road) and it's been helpful when escaping police to be able to just climb a hill and wait them out. I've made enough money to purchase my first two-car garage, but immediately regretted it when I turned a corner and found an 8-car garage for $60,000 more that I could have afforded with another couple Bounty missions.

The tutorial missions so far have been fun, but a little lopsided when a higher level player joins. I placed 1st in the tutorial race (by a LONG margin, like 25 seconds). In my first team fight, the opposing team managed to have someone who was level 18 and 142 in there; my team didn't seem to stand a chance. In the gang war drive-by mission, I had someone who was level 20 with me in the car and they used a rocket launcher instead of the pistol we were given; I nabbed a couple headshots for 25RP, but overall hardly mattered.

I've held up a few gas stations as well, and thought it was an interesting addition. I like that the attendants will sometimes pull out guns and shoot at you if you stop intimidating them before you're out the door - and I even had a pedestrian vigilante come in once and gun me down before the robbery ended. Totally unexpected.

The random challenges are neat, too. I participated in a few. I took 3rd place in the "Near Miss" challenge - I assume the leaders grabbed motorcycles, as they had WAY more cars passed than I did. I took 2nd in the "Air Waypoint" challenge, which raked in a lot of RP for me and bumped me like 1.5 levels - I wasn't all that great with my helicopter, though and I think the leader was using some kind of rocket-powered Wingsuit. I took 1st in the "Sliding Distance" challenge, where you have to face-plant out of a moving car and slide along the pavement; I had 120+ feet on my slide and it brought me to a sliver of health... the nearest competitor had 40+ feet.

I started with terrible Driving and Shooting skills, assuming these would be things I'd level up quickly and naturally. They're taking a LONG time to crawl up, but the lack of them doesn't seem to hinder me. I'm still driving well and getting clean headshots. Do stats serve no purpose in the game? I did note that one person at level 16 had stats that were, across the board, maybe double what mine were. Should I expect my stats to be that much higher in just 8 more levels, or should I be grinding them out somewhere, like shooting cans and swimming endlessly?

I had a fun time, but kind of missed the gang and wanted to get back to the story to see where it went.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm level 170-something, and other than flying, driving, and shooting, nothing is close to maxed. Even the ones that are maxed take a while.

If you open the browser (from the in-game phone), open up the auto pages, and sort by price, there will be a few for free once you get a garage (which should be your first priotity.) One of them, the Elegy, is a great starter car.

Also, make sure you go into the finances link in the browser, to Maze Bank (not the foreclosures, the other one), and deposit all your money. Regularly. It prevents other players from stealing it.

For driving skill, just drive. It is believed that driving the wrong way on the highway and near-misses improve it faster.

For shooting, go into an Ammu-Nation with a range (they don't all have them), go into the range, and use the minigun. It'll skyrocket.

Anyway, I'm Greybird in Social Club (hit the Home key.) Feel free to send me a friend request or hit me up on Discord. In fact, I think Brian and I are going to be playing a bit later tonight (7:30 PST, so... 10:30 EST.) You'd be welcome to join us.
Brian

Post by Brian »

And I'm OO_Brian in the Social Club. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you like. I promise to only send a mugger after you once or twice.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm And I'm OO_Brian in the Social Club. Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you like. I promise to only send a mugger after you once or twice.
Caiden may have experienced this today. :ninja:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I played last night long enough to do the MMO "heavy sigh of foolishness". Mostly at high level insanity.

I got a mission that popped up to protect 4 VIP's across the map. Before I could get to the first one, they had been killed. I got to the second one and fell in line with another player who seemed to be on the same mission, both of us sitting in our fancy sports cars behind the guy, guns at the ready. A hostile appeared on my minimap and was coming for the VIP - so I drew my gun and aimed it down the street where he'd come from... and a gorram flying DeLorean came into sight, sprinkling stickybombs on every car in sight. The VIP and everything else went up in a matter of a second or two, including me and the other player. I got off a few rounds from my machine gun. The DeLorean flew off to go finish the other two.

Then I started noticing players in missions I was joining were using laser gattling guns and high-end exotic cars, and some of them were level 248.

Another mission popped up to go and attack someone moving a weapon crate. I chased him down, but he was littering land mines behind him as he drove and I couldn't both dodge those and keep up to shoot him. I died a couple times in inglorious ways.

Another player was transferring a drug cache and I was tasked with stopping it. I got there in time to see that the guy was flying the drugs across the map with a gorram 747. I plinked it a few times with my assault rifle, got back in my car, and drove off.

I think I crossed some kind of threshold and got dumped into the general populace. I did get to level 12 and spent a little time customizing my Elegy RH8. Not much I can add to it, but I did spruce it up so it's at least obviously a player car.

The highlight of the night was a mission from Lemar where we had to rescue a dealer from the cops at the airport. I showed up with my BF Injection and it seemed to be the right car for the job. Even with the tires blown out, my ally was able to race ahead of the cops using it while I kept them distracted. It was a good time.

When I quit out of multiplayer (I got disconnected and dumped straight into Story mode) I discovered that Michael's wife was leaving him, despite his terrible attempts at Yoga. That was ... a strange minigame.
Black Lives Matter

Brian

Post by Brian »

FYI: Those missions where you are tasked to stop another player from delivering something (drugs, stolen merchendise, conterfeit cash, etc) it's generally frowned upon and from what I've seen, it's mostly exclusively either lower-level players that haven't been playing long or griefers that tend to seek to destroy those cargo shipments.

Most folk leave 'em alone and here's why:

1. For the player that's doing the transport, it's likely that they've sunk a considerable amount of in-game time and money to accumulate that cargo they are transporting (seriously, like many thousands of dollars or dozens of hours) and it is now worth a considerable amount (ranging from the hundreds of thousands of dollars to 2 million or more depending) and to have some schlub come along and destroy it is heartbreaking and infuriating.

2. For the player doing the intercept and destruction, the payout for doing so is usually quite small (from 5K to 30K at most) so the trade off in value is exceptional. Seriously, would you like to have some guy getting paid $10K come along and RPG your shipment worth $850K after you'd spent hours accumulating that stock?

3. Griefers do it because they are griefers and ain't nothin' gonna change that. Low-level, inexperienced players likely don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end of that kind of action so don't really know the frustration of their victims. And yeah, it's pretty easy for even a low-level player to destroy a shipment of even very high-level players (I know, I'm level 350+ and it's been done to me enough times)

4. If you are a lower-level player...well, it's probably not worth bringing down the wrath of a high-level player. Especially one that has a crew playing alongside them.
Example: During one particular delivery mission, some rando rpg'd my delivery costing me about $800K in loses. So, Blackhawk and I chased him down in a pair of Buzzard attack helicopters and repeatedly blew him up with rockets, respawn after respawn after respawn until he ultimately fled into a cave where we couldn't follow with the choppers. We could, however, follow him into the cave with heavily armed and armored vehicles and continue to repeatedly kill him until we finally tired of it and left him with the message not to attack player delivery missions.
If that sounds like fun to you, well then, be my guest.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 amIf that sounds like fun to you, well then, be my guest.
I think I struck a nerve. I didn't mean to.

I had never seen it before, and the game told me to. I assumed they got a pickup mission and other players got a defend or destroy mission as a result. A mechanic to keep people rolling. It never once occurred to me that they had to invest anything in the drugs or weapons they were delivering, but I suppose it makes sense now when I think about how viciously I was abused for trying to follow the game's orders.

Out of curiosity, what does it take to destroy the shipment? Is it destroying the vehicle, or hitting the cargo? I once had a clear shot and got out of my car and unloaded my assault rifle into the back/trunk of his batman buggy... I don't know if that was the right place to aim or if I gave someone a heart attack. I feel bad if I almost made them shit themselves.

This is also good to know for the day when I eventually get there, if I do, that I'll be putting a lot of cash and time at risk.

Are there other things the game will direct me to do that I shouldn't do?
Black Lives Matter

Brian

Post by Brian »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am I think I struck a nerve. I didn't mean to.
Oh, no, sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression.
I just wanted to be clear that you get to choose the way you play. If you like that sort of thing, I'm not going to tell you to stop (there are ways to avoid griefers and such which we regularly employ) just so long as you are aware of what's actually happening.
I had never seen it before, and the game told me to.
Which is what I assumed and why so many new/low-level players end up doing this.
Out of curiosity, what does it take to destroy the shipment? Is it destroying the vehicle, or hitting the cargo?
Generally, if you destroy the vehicle that's being used to transport the cargo, that's all it takes. Some mission vehicles are tougher than others to destroy but a few require very little effort.
This is also good to know for the day when I eventually get there, if I do, that I'll be putting a lot of cash and time at risk.
When you get to the point where you start accumulating cash, there are all sorts of guides out there for making money but here's a real quick rundown:
(Note: This is for money making efforts only. For things like running heists [which are a ton of fun] we can discuss at a later time)

Buy these properties as soon as possible: Motorcycle Club (don't invest anything into upgrading it if you don't want as it has little to no effect on money making), Cocaine Lockup, Meth Lab, Conterfeit Cash Operation. When possible, buy all of the upgrades on the Lockup, Lab, and Conterfeit Op. This will help you to produce product faster using fewer resources as well as limit the number of law enforcement raids on your properties.

Next, buy a Nightclub and get as many of the upgrades (to the production side, don't spend a lot on the nightclub itself if you don't have to) as you can.

The Nightclub allows you to build stock from your other properties (Coke and Meth labs, conterfeit op, Hangar, etc) passively so you don't have to invest money/effort into that side of the operation.

Eventually you should also purchase a Hangar and Bunker so that you can pull in stock from those operations as well. The Bunker and the Biker properties (Coke and Meth labs, etc) have the added bonus of generating their own product which you can sell as well as generating product for the Nightclub warehouse.

Try to buy the least expensive properties when you can but definitely try to keep them all in close proximity to reduce the amount of travel time you spend going from one to the next. Mine are almost all in a straight line so I can quickly hit each one to replenish supplies (which they need to produce product)

When the time comes to make the delivery missions, get some help. Our regular group (Myself, Blackhawk, Bad Demographic and her husband) all provide assistance/support making the deliveries and keeping them safe. It's possible but very difficult to solo these things (impossible in some cases) so put together a crew.
Blackhawk and I have already offered to help out so please feel free to use that. Also, join us some night and get a feel for what's involved by joining our crew on a few missions. If you know when you might be playing next, let us know ahead of time and maybe we can join you.

For an idea of just how difficult it can be....Over the course of the last couple days, I have lost nearly $5 million dollars in shipments due to bad luck, mission specific vagaries, or poor decision making.

1. I was making a delivery mission (Value: $1.58 Million) where I had to fly a cargo plane under the radar in the heaviest fog I'd ever seen in the game. At night.
I ended up flying the full shipment right into the ocean. Boom. Mission failed.

2. Making another delivery (Value: $2.1 Million) in a truck and missed a turn. Tried to get back on track and ended up getting stuck in a traffic pile-up while NPC bad guys tried to destroy the cargo. In an effort to clear the traffic jam (gotta love GTA physics) a chain reaction explosion caused enough damage to my deliver truck that it too eventually exploded. Mission failed.

3. Twice during Bunker delivery missions we had three players but the mission specified we had to deliver four vehicles making multiple stops each. The three of us were unable to make all of the drops resulting in the loss of approximatly $800,000 in product.

4. During a drug delivery mission (again requiring multiple vehicles making 5 stops each that had to be done inside a time limit) a low-level player RPGd my vehicle. The monetary loss was negligible but see my story above about angering a player with access to helicopter gunships and armored APCs.

5. During a particularly difficult resupply mission, somebody used the Orbital Laser Cannon to nuke us. Killed all of us and failed the mission. Given how expensive it is to purchase and fire that thing, it's only ever used for griefing.

Are there other things the game will direct me to do that I shouldn't do?
Unless you are specifically playing a deathmatch style game, just try not to go around killing other players.
Or do, if that's your thing. Like I said, we have ways around that sort of thing.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I don't think I'll be attacking player shipments anymore, even if I could take them. I've always hated griefers and wouldn't want to be one.

I can only currently buy garages, apartments, and nightclubs. I haven't gotten any options for other properties that do anything. I came close to having $100,000 but splurged on a 2-car garage and a few vehicle upgrades for my free starter car. I figured more money would roll in eventually.

My best money-earner to date was running the Repo missions with 2-3 other players, but I was underpowered for one of them; after the explosions stopped, we were mobbed by gang members and died quickly. I got $10,000+ per mission.

Story missions have been lackluster in payment (Max has been like $5,000) but I think I need to push through them to open up the larger game?

Holy shit, Rockstar. Holy shit. Shark Cards?
Not only does this system allow Rockstar to continuously release free DLC updates for GTA Online, but it also allows players to pick what they value more: time, or money? While there is a small vocal minority active within the GTA community that cries foul on Shark Cards at every turn on the internet, the cards are extremely popular, having generated over half a billion USD in profits.
Looking at Heists... I don't have an apartment, let alone a High End one. Lester did call me, though, and the "H" is on my map.
If you reach Rank 12 and have a high-end apartment, you will be able to play 4-player cooperative heists online. Lester will call you, and you’ll need to go see him. After that, Lester will call whenever you can play a new heist, and you can call him to replay a heist.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:07 pm I don't think I'll be attacking player shipments anymore, even if I could take them. I've always hated griefers and wouldn't want to be one.
It just tells you, "Player is transporting drugs! Stop him to earn money and RP!" It doesn't tell you that doing so is actively interfering with another player making his way in the game.

There are several categories of activities you'll do:

~Open world stuff: This is running around, doing the challenges that pop up. It's the most likely to result in griefers and off-level nonsense. It's the easiest to get into, but the most frustrating and least rewarding.
~Missions: This is scripted/semi-scripted missions where you run around and steal this/kill that guy/intercept something, all against the AI. You're usually placed into an instanced world with only you and those on the mission (IE - there won't be any other human players.) There are a huge variety of these, and you can spend a lot of time - and make a lot of money - doing them.
~Competitive missions: This is the deathmatch type stuff where you queue up with random people, plus stunt races, parachute jumps, etc, etc, etc.
~Heists: Super-missions. Typically there are four to six 'set up' missions where you get the tools you need, set up the locations, and so on. This is followed by the heist itself, a huge undertaking with huge payoffs. Heists require friends, as the missions have distinct objectives for different players (player one keeps the cops busy on the far side of town, while players two and three steal a cop car and uniforms to sneak into the police station, and player 4 provides a getaway chopper, for instance.)
~Businesses: This is your import/export, your gun running operation, your drug labs, that sort of thing. It involves supply missions to gather products (or buying the raw materials for tens of thousands), then waiting while the end products are produced. Filling up a warehouse probably takes 20 hours or more, plus dozens of missions or hundreds of thousands in raw materials. Once you have enough, you do the delivery missions, which is getting the product to the buyers. The proceeds for these missions is often well over a million. The thing is, both the supply missions and the delivery missions take place in the open world with random internet people. One guy on an Oppressor (rocket bike) or flying DeLorean (or whatever) can cost you that 20 hours and dozen missions (or hundreds of thousands) worth of set-up. That's why you bring a friend, or do what we do and ensure an empty server with nobody to hassle you.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I tried out racing last night, hoping to make an easy buck. It was an interesting experience. I was hoping to place 1st, but the competition is rough and a lot of players have a lot more experience than I do with the cars and tracks. I suppose I'll have to wait until I hit the right Rank to upgrade my cars instead of racing and placing 1st 20 times. :? I'm mostly interested in engine upgrades and bulletproof tires.
  • 1st race: Flying - I did okay, coming in 3rd out of 6, despite crashing once. This was also my second mission flying fixed-wing aircraft. I was in a close second until we came over a hill and had to immediately go down the hill - I missed the turn and the only way to hit the waypoint was to dive through it into the hill.
  • 2nd race: Supercar Stunt track. I was doing great - 2nd place - until the tunnel I was in suddenly didn't have a floor; I was supposed to cling to a wall. I finished 3rd out of maybe 8?
  • 3rd race: Supercar Stunt track. I placed 5th after some bad landings where I slammed into obstacles instead of landing gracefully.
  • 4th race: Supercar Stunt track. I was getting the hang of the track, but also trying different cars each time, and getting sloppy. Finished 7th.
Then I moved on to robbing convenience stores and running story missions. Before the end of the night I bought an apartment with a large garage in the center of the city (1162 something, I think?) and was immediately reminded to do a Heist.

I still haven't finished Lamar's missions, but made it through the Funeral massacre, which was harder than I think it should have been. People kept dying or losing cars, me included. We had to run it like 5 times before we got it right.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, we uh... do that one by helicopter these days. Prior to that? Armored Karuma, aka the Cheat Tank.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:21 am Yeah, we uh... do that one by helicopter these days. Prior to that? Armored Karuma, aka the Cheat Tank.
How do you do the funeral massacre with a chopper? We have to get out of our cars and get to the funeral and can only use pistols... then we have to drive the herses back to a checkpoint with swarms of gangsters setting up roadblocks.

I've read about the Armored Karuma and how any time I see it in a player mission I should just get in.

I'm currently reading through the heist dynamics and might be interested in trying those soon. I may want to ask if I can play with you two if you have time, but I don't know when. I get the need for Discord - but can't be a voice there. My wife sleeps in the office with the TV going while I'm playing and I can't use my mic - I can certainly type/chat & listen to verbal commands. I just won't have much input. I'd be like an advanced voice-activated NPC that likes to get headshots on enemies. I noticed there are big cash bonuses for doing heists in order and achieving certain goals... and I assume you've already done that?
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We haven't achieved every 'elite' goal in the heists, but we've finished them all at least once. Some several times. And as long as you can hear, you're fine. We'd be happy to help.

Also, I may be thinking of a different funeral job.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 amAlso, I may be thinking of a different funeral job.
Must be. This one was a mission from Lamar as he's trying to make a name for himself. He sends us (1-4 players) to shoot up a funeral. We get there in suits and ties by following a procession, then have to use handguns to eliminate 12+ gangsters with submachine guns. Once that's done, we have to get in the two hearses and drive them back to a second waypoint and are chased by gangsters the entire way, along with having to run straight through three roadblocks of gangsters.

Not much wiggle room there for an armored car or chopper, except maybe at the end to nuke the roadblocks. It's a lot of bullets flying around and you're underpowered at the beginning with few options for cover.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, the one I was thinking of involved The Lost.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm Yeah, the one I was thinking of involved The Lost.
When I deal with them, I throw a grenade so they'll rush towards the Advent soldiers.

What do you need to know in order to invite/join me in GTA V? I'm ready to try it out (teaming with real people and not randoms). My GTA Social Club name is Rackminster and my Discord is Rackminster#4742. I'd be genuinely curious to see how you get along and what you do, if you'll have me as a partner for a bit. I'm usually on from 8:00pm ET to 11:00pm or a little later.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I'm Blackhawk on Discord, and Greybird on Rockstar. When next you start up GTA, hit the Home key and the social club should pop in. I sent you a friend invite. I'm not sure yet whether I'll be on tonight, but feel free to hit me up on Discord if you don't see me on.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Thought for the day: F**k the Cargobob repo missions. Holy complicated bulls**t.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Heh. I've never been great with the cargobob. Brian, on the other hand, can pluck the nipple off a flea at highway speeds.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I'm not that good but I do like to fly helicopters in this game.

Surprised I haven't bought the Akula yet.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's the camera that kills me. I can't watch what I'm doing when the camera keeps rotating to the direction the chopper is pointing instead of the direction of travel.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had fun tonight. A couple of quick points:

First, unless it is something that requires that you be registered as a CEO/Motorcycle Club, you can do it in a solo session if you prefer.

Second, how to clear out a server before doing anything risky: Start the game, get into GTA Online. Leave it running and get back to the desktop. Click start, type Resource Monitor. Start it. Click the Network tab. Right click GTA5.exe. 'Suspend Process', click to confirm. Count to ten. Right click and 'Resume Process'. That's it. Note that I usually right click and 'Resume Process' immediately after suspending it. Click confirm when you reach ten. If you don't wait long enough, it won't do anything. If you wait too long, it will disconnect you. When you do it and get back in, you should see a whole list of messages about people leaving. You're now in an empty server. I just open Resource Monitor before I launch the thing, and leave it open while I play.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I really appreciate the time you guys took and the patience you demonstrated. It was super helpful. I didn't realize at all how huge the "end-game" was in this, or what kind of options I had open to me. There's ZERO tutorial in GTA Online that outlines the things to make your life easier.

The big things I walked away with were:
  • The "M" button, for Menu, is NOT the same as pressing "Esc" and getting the game Menu. "M" is great for on-the-fly item use, like healing and adding armor.
  • You can have more than one suit of armor in your inventory, and can buy healing items at the counter of convenience stores (before robbing them).
  • Building a list of missions is awesome. This is done from the "Esc" Menu under Online > Playlists. Blackhawk walked me through five of his favorite missions in sequence. I was able to bookmark them as we finished them and could return to try them myself. When I did, though, I discovered most of them were too high a level for me - but I was able to put together a list of missions for myself to run through that I knew I could solo. Now I have a list of tasks I can accomplish for $50,000-$70,000 in 30-45 minutes.
  • Starting your own "server" is both needed and not too hard, but it's silly that you can.
  • High level bases and equipment are nuts, and crazy-expensive. I now see why Rockstar has made over $500,000,000 selling Shark Cards that grant people in-game money. I'm patient, though, and enjoy driving around causing mayhem.
  • Product delivery missions can be rough and seem to absolutely require you to have people you can trust helping you out - on your own server.
  • A minigun isn't a direct replacement for an Assault Rifle and good aim... :P ... but a well-aimed minigun... :shock:
  • Getting into the airport just requires a little knowledge of where the ramps are.
  • Evading a police case can be as easy as finding the subway tunnels.
I'm currently up to level 29. My mission playlist (with each set to "Hard" and done solo) is:
  • Repo: Sasquach - Steal a monster truck and spend 10+ minutes blowing up cars by driving over them. $15,000-$25,000
  • Repo: Burn Rate - Steal a firetruck and save the burning cars down at the docks, then clear the gangsters out. 5-10 minutes. $10,000-$15,000
  • Repo: Titan (?) - Steal a Titan aircraft from the airport and return it; headshot-snipe a lot of guards. 5-10 minutes. $10,000-$12,500
  • Repo: Chasers - Get a Croquete back, evade the cops, return it to Simone's. 4-5 minutes. $7500-$10,000
  • Repo: Chasers II - Get a cruiser back, evade the gangsters, return it to Simone's. 3-5 minutes. $5,000-$10,000
The real benefit in time/reward seems to be that I don't have to wait for other players to join, hem & haw, or ruin anything. I can even set up a string of missions to practice things - like that goddamn Cargobob mission I hated. I should get better at flying choppers, and that mission isn't a challenge in terms of people shooting at me, but rather controlling an aircraft. I was under a lot of strain playing it, mostly because I didn't want to disappoint my team (and we all failed at it).

Stealing the Titan is really easy with a long-range sniper rifle with a high-powered scope. Just park my car out in the grass, hide behind it, snipe them as they run out, then drive in and clean up anyone who's still there. Much easier with the armor Kuruma, though.

I'm currently sitting on ~$200,000 but am done buying weapons and upgrading them, as well as owning a sufficient property to run Heists. I think my next step is to actually step through some Heists - which sounds horrifying with random people as they all look like they require you to have a clue and actually work together.

I do keep getting indicators asking me to join people's Heists and may poke at those missions with a long stick to see how it feels as a simple participant.
Black Lives Matter