Amazon at 25

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Amazon at 25

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48884596

Wish Id boguht a bunch of stock in the old days. Wish Id had a bunch of money in the old days to buy a bunch of stock in the old days.
"There's no guarantee that Amazon.com can be a successful company. What we're trying to do is very complicated," said Jeff Bezos in 1999, just five years after launching the online firm.

That the firm's founder was so uncertain of its future seems surprising.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Amazon at 25

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lets say you bought at the IPO around $50. Would you have held all the way down to $5 a few years later? Let's say you did hold. Would you have held at $100? $300? $500? $1000? The whole "I'd be a bazillionaire if I bought X at X" is a bit overrated.

My current average purchase price is around $980. No way I'll still be in in any significant amount if it gets to, say, $5000. Let alone $40K. Unless they start paying a dividend. *Cough* You hear that Jeff Bezos? *Cough*
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

One of my profs in grad school failed to get tenure in 1995. She decided to leave academia and go in with her old classmate’s new venture in Seattle.

Classmate was Bezos, and my ex-prof was an Amazon executive from the beginning. God only knows what she is worth now.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wow, his company is the same time length as my marriage.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:53 am Lets say you bought at the IPO around $50. Would you have held all the way down to $5 a few years later? Let's say you did hold. Would you have held at $100? $300? $500? $1000? The whole "I'd be a bazillionaire if I bought X at X" is a bit overrated.

My current average purchase price is around $980. No way I'll still be in in any significant amount if it gets to, say, $5000. Let alone $40K. Unless they start paying a dividend. *Cough* You hear that Jeff Bezos? *Cough*
It's funny how those things work. I was watching Good Omens (on Amazon, curiously enough) and one of the prophecies was to invest in Jobbes Apple that cannot be eaten. I also remember a movie, Frequency, where due to time travel, somebody gets rich off of Yahoo! stock.

Why is it never Disney, IBM, Exxon, etc? Why is it always tech stocks - they seem to be regarded as a money for nothing lottery in a way.

And Amazon should have changed to prophecy to AMZN ;).

If Amazon goes to 5,000/share (or the equivalent after splits), it is most likely for a reason which could make you hold it.

FWIW, I still have my measly 25 shares (avg cost basis ~220 or so). A 10-1 split and dividends would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Though if they had done the split, I probably would have bought more when it bottomed out around 1,660 a couple of months back, but just buying a share or 2 at that price "seems" weird, even if I know the actual price doesn't matter. I guess I'm just a conservative at heart!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.