The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm Just a reminder on 'Murica Day Eve, from the man himself, that the cruelty is the point.

@realDonaldTrump, wrote:If Illegal Immigrants are unhappy with the conditions in the quickly built or refitted detentions centers, just tell them not to come. All problems solved!
I know we're numb after a few years but re-read that tweet. Then remember, it is from the president of the United States. On the eve of his Soviet May Day parade.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump's July 4 campaign rally is tonight.

The Lincoln Memorial is behind fences so that only RNC-ticketed VIPs can get in. (This might be illegal.)

It has been pouring rain for an hour and is expected to continue to do so. Crowds are sparse.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As long as he limits his speech to the usual patriotic bromides, it is merely a wasteful display of bad taste. As soon as he slips into campaign mode, he violates the Hatch Act and it becomes illegal. I'm sure the consequences for that will be as dire as those for his emoluments violations.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:19 pm As long as he limits his speech to the usual patriotic bromides, it is merely a wasteful display of bad taste. As soon as he slips into campaign mode, he violates the Hatch Act and it becomes illegal. I'm sure the consequences for that will be as dire as those for his emoluments violations.
It might be illegal just to put up private fences in a national park and have a political organization control ticketed access.

Those Bradleys and Abrams are official RNC props now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cloud cover is probably too heavy and too low for the planned flyovers.

"Stealth, Mr. President! EVERYTHING is stealth now!"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

"GONNA GO TO MARS, bitchez!"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tomorrow: "Many are saying this was the best speech ever given by an American president!"

Count on it.

Also, it is really really lame.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:10 pm Cloud cover is probably too heavy and too low for the planned flyovers.

"Stealth, Mr. President! EVERYTHING is stealth now!"
Nope. They happened. I heard them fly over my house on the way out of town.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

From what I can tell from afar, sounds like the entire thing was mostly meh, and thankfully not the disaster many were expecting. It’s odd feeling such a sense of relief for something that’s just...normal.

Then again, the night’s not over yet. :ninja:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

"And seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown." (Surely that "of" is an "at" in the teleprompter text he's trying to read.)

He's having serious trouble reading the teleprompter all along here.

"Our army manned the [airports?]. It ranned[?] the ramparts. It took over the airports. It did everything it hadda do."

The whole clip reinforces the super-fucking-annoying fact that Trump can't understand and deliver a sentence coherently. The rhythm is all off. He just goes word to word without knowing how sentence structure makes meaning.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, allowing the British to maintain air superiority during the Revolutionary War would have meant certain defeat for the colonies.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If he managed to stay on script, that's a victory for the forces of blandness. The world will little note, nor longer remember what he said there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Late night television hosts beg to differ.
Covfefe!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:27 pm To be fair, allowing the British to maintain air superiority during the Revolutionary War would have meant certain defeat for the colonies.
Those goddamned Sopwith Camels were really giving our Sherman tanks the what-for.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Has everyone been watching the same speech? :think:

Trump made his critics look small during his ‘Salute to America’
It was a stunning combined display of presidential eloquence and American military might.

Millions of ordinary Americans who tuned in to watch must have been wondering what the fuss was all about. Democrats promised they would witness a partisan address. But instead, they saw the president deliver a deeply unifying speech that celebrated America’s accomplishments, and the courage of our men and women in uniform. With each passing minute, the president looked larger while his critics looked increasingly petty and small.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't watch tv tonight or go to anything. Just sat here. I can still hear stuff popping outside in the distance.

But with Trump I see more signs his mind is failing faster as time passes.

I expect him to label bathrooms and water fountains Legals / Illegals soon'ish.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm Has everyone been watching the same speech? :think:

It was a stunning combined display of presidential eloquence and American military might.

Millions of ordinary Americans who tuned in to watch must have been wondering what the fuss was all about. Democrats promised they would witness a partisan address. But instead, they saw the president deliver a deeply unifying speech that celebrated America’s accomplishments, and the courage of our men and women in uniform. With each passing minute, the president looked larger while his critics looked increasingly petty and small.
Articles like this crack me up.

As if one decent speech where Trump managed not to go completely off the rails somehow negates years of criticism over Trump's near-constant stream of utter bullshit and contempt for the US system of governance.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:04 am
Max Peck wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm Has everyone been watching the same speech? :think:

Articles like this crack me up.

As if one decent speech where Trump managed not to go completely off the rails somehow negates years of criticism over Trump's near-constant stream of utter bullshit and contempt for the US system of governance.
On the same page, WaPo offers Trump tried to make Independence Day all about him. He ended up looking small. Opinions are like assholes....
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:27 pm To be fair, allowing the British to maintain air superiority during the Revolutionary War would have meant certain defeat for the colonies.
Luckily for us, not only did the Wright brothers invent the airplane, they also invented time travel.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:To be fair, allowing the British to maintain air superiority during the Revolutionary War would have meant certain defeat for the colonies.
Our Navy SEALs taking the British aerodromes and defeating the Daleks was a thing to behold!

This, of course, is the history that you'll never hear about in your liberal leftist classrooms.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Are finally witnessing the long prophecied "pivot"?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would love to see the guy who inputs data into his teleprompter rebel some day. He's like an animatronic Teddy Ruxpin. Imagine all the amazing things he could be made to say!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:29 am Opinions are like assholes....
Mine's better than yours?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apparently "What If Spartacus Had a Piper Cub?" is not available online. I'm disappointed in you, internet.

Holman

Post by Holman »

One theory going around is that the teleprompter text might have (quoting the National Anthem) included the phrase "o'er the ramparts" somewhere in there, and that Trump was too stupid to recognize it or to understand that "o'er" means "over." He might have thought "o'er" was "air"? The rest is stumbling and repetition until he moves ahead. (I'd be willing to bet that "It did everything it had to do" is improv'd.)

Normally the text of a major speech (or even a minor one, such as Pence's address at a naturalization ceremony yesterday) would be posted by the White House website. Trump's text has not been posted.

[EDIT] The Trump speech has been posted now.

It includes the "airports" line, plus an "(inaudible)" to cover his flubbing of the prior line.
Our Army manned the (inaudible) — it manned the ramparts. It took over the airports. It did everything it had to do. And at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory. And when dawn came, their Star Spangled Banner waved defiant. (Applause.)

Looks like we don't get to see what he was *trying* to say.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 pm

"And seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown." (Surely that "of" is an "at" in the teleprompter text he's trying to read.)

He's having serious trouble reading the teleprompter all along here.

"Our army manned the [airports?]. It ranned[?] the ramparts. It took over the airports. It did everything it hadda do."

The whole clip reinforces the super-fucking-annoying fact that Trump can't understand and deliver a sentence coherently. The rhythm is all off. He just goes word to word without knowing how sentence structure makes meaning.
Lost in all this still is that France and the rest of Continental Europe won the war for us. July 4 may not be the time for it but we really need a "Thank you, France" day.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:23 am I would love to see the guy who inputs data into his teleprompter rebel some day. He's like an animatronic Teddy Ruxpin. Imagine all the amazing things he could be made to say!
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:56 pm Lost in all this still is that France and the rest of Continental Europe won the war for us. July 4 may not be the time for it but we really need a "Thank you, France" day.
Ohh...it would be sweet to combine it with all of those "Thank you USA" days France most certainly has, such as the one commemorating WWI. their rescue from oblivion in WW2, and taking over that whole mess in Vietnam.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:01 am Are finally witnessing the long prophecied "pivot"?
:lol:

The fact that Trump doing the bare minimum required of the job (ie: giving a speech) without making a complete ass of himself in the process (Revolutionary War airports notwithstanding) is being lauded as incredible tells us everything we need to know about the state of his reign...er...presidency.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because nothing is ever his fault:
President Donald Trump said Friday that a teleprompter mishap led to his much-mocked July Fourth flub in which he talked about defending airports during the American Revolution.

"The teleprompter went out," Trump told reporters as he left the White House for a weekend at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey.

"It just went out – it went kaput."
Trump, who has derided Democratic opponents like Hillary Clinton for using teleprompters, did make use of one for his big July Fourth speech. But he said the rain foiled its usefulness.

"I guess the rain knocked out the teleprompter," he said. "I knew the speech very well, so I was able to do it without a teleprompter. And it was hard to look at it anyway."

Trump did not explain why, given the failure of the teleprompter, he began talking about airports in colonial America.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm The Hill
A federal district court judge on Wednesday ruled that President Trump can't block people from viewing his Twitter feed over their political views.
WaPo
President Trump cannot block his critics from the Twitter feed he regularly uses to communicate with the public, a federal appeals court said Tuesday, in a case with implications for how elected officials nationwide interact with constituents on social media.

The decision from the New York-based appeals court upholds an earlier ruling that Trump violated the First Amendment when he blocked individual users critical of the president or his policies.
In the president’s case, attorneys from the Knight Institute at Columbia University, representing the blocked users, said Trump’s Twitter account is an extension of the presidency that is routinely used by Trump to announce government nominations, defend his polices and promote his legislative agenda. The comment section is no different from a traditional town hall meeting, they said, and citizens must be allowed to respond directly to government officials and engage in public policy debates.
Justice Department lawyers defending the president said in court that @realDonaldTrump is a personal account on a privately-owned digital platform and that Trump may block followers he “does not wish to hear.” The president’s lawyers drew parallels to the physical properties Trump and other presidents owned before taking office. A president’s residence – or social media account – does not become government property when the president conducts government business there.

The president had unblocked the seven people behind the initial lawsuit while the case was pending on appeal.
The court’s decision on Tuesday addressed only the interactive spaces on Twitter for replies and comments, and applies to accounts used to conduct public business. The 29-page ruling, joined by Judges Peter W. Hall and Christopher F. Droney, did not decide whether elected officials violate the Constitution when they block users from “wholly private accounts. The judges also did not consider whether private social media companies are bound by the First Amendment when “policing” their platforms.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:23 am I would love to see the guy who inputs data into his teleprompter rebel some day. He's like an animatronic Teddy Ruxpin. Imagine all the amazing things he could be made to say!
I'm Ron Burgundy?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump will order a broad overhaul of the nation’s organ transplant and kidney dialysis systems Wednesday in an executive order designed to prolong lives and save the government billions of dollars, according to people familiar with the plan.

Trump will outline proposals to keep people with kidney disease off dialysis longer and make treatment less expensive; encourage more live donation of kidneys and livers; and force the 58 nonprofits that collect transplant organs to improve their performance, people briefed on the plan said. He also will try to reduce discards of less-than-perfect organs by transplant surgeons.

In all, the government believes it can make 17,000 more kidneys and 11,000 more hearts, livers, lungs and other organs available for transplant every year, as well as save money for Medicare and Medicaid, which cover much of the cost of dialysis and transplantation. The United States has a severe shortage of tranplant organs. More than 113,000 people are waiting for them; most need kidneys.

“These are all good ideas. I’m impressed, very impressed,” said Tommy Thompson, who worked to boost organ donation when he was secretary of Health and Human Services under President George W. Bush. “They are finally modernizing organ procurement.”
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

President Trump will order a broad overhaul of the nation’s organ transplant and kidney dialysis systems Wednesday in an executive order designed to prolong lives and save the government billions of dollars, according to people familiar with the plan.
Rarely can you do both at the same time.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

msteelers wrote:
Rarely can you do both at the same time.
I can't wrap my brain about being excited about Trump approved discount organs.

"We have the best kidneys. Your gonna love our kindeys. Livers like you won't believe. I got this cousin Joe who's got the hookup with these trucks...."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump’s incompetence is going to kill people.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm Trump’s incompetence is going to kill people.
my mom is in line for a liver transplant next year...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm Trump’s incompetence is going to kill people.
There's a group who he obviously does not consider people who are nevertheless a persistent problem of his. They just don't know yet they are going to become organ donors.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Every time he announces one of these initiatives/dictates out of the blue, there are tens, hundreds of millions made and lost in trades, regardless of whether there is any intention to follow through. If someone knew about these in advance...someone who will do anything for a buck and who lacks any moral or ethical standards...

MYT