Final Fantasy 14? Wanderers?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Demonix

Final Fantasy 14? Wanderers?

Post by Demonix »

Hey guys, been a long time. Recently got introduced to Final Fantasy 14 and I'm loving it. Are The Wanderers still a thing and do they exist in FF14? Respond or send me a PM.

AKA Kylara from WoW...like 8 years ago. ;)
GG refugee
Daehawk

Re: Final Fantasy 14? Wanderers?

Post by Daehawk »

Just started playing this this week. I got it in a 18+ game Humble Bundle for $8. Couldn't pass it up and have wondered about ti. I wasn't expecting much but its actually really fun....so far. I plan to sub to it after my free month IF I can find the cash to spare.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I love FF XIV. Itwas the first the first MMO to really hook me, and I played nothing else for the better part of a year. I finally burned out on the endgame, but after 1,000+ hours (more than I've spent with any other game), I figured it was time to move on to other things.

I can't recommend it highly enough, a fantastic MMO as well as the best FF game in a long time. I'm not on anymore, but feel free to ping me with any questions and I'd be happy to help.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Demonix wrote:Hey guys, been a long time. Recently got introduced to Final Fantasy 14 and I'm loving it. Are The Wanderers still a thing and do they exist in FF14? Respond or send me a PM.

AKA Kylara from WoW...like 8 years ago. ;)
The WoW Wanderers are still a thing, I do believe. I'm not sure if we have anyone playing FF14 right now. Rittchard?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I really enjoyed FF XIV much more than I thought I would. Subscribed for a couple months, but then, wasn't playing enough to justify the cost. So I'm on a break I suppose. But still installed, I believe. It was lots of fun.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Arise!

I seem to be hankering for an MMORPG experience after bouncing off of WoW Legion a few months back. I have been kicking around either jumping into The Elder Scrolls Online or trying our FFXIV. I have both, but things happening in my life at the time meant I did not get a good chance to play FFXIV when it (re)released in the Realms Reborn days. Similarly, I played TESO when it released, but found it to be a bit dull. I have heard, however, that there have been some significant improvements and the F2P aspect means there is no loss to going back in and messing about (unless, of course, I want to get Morrowind).

Now I am mostly a solo player, so I am a little worried about the forced grouping for the story missions in FFXIV. I heave heard, however, that these dungeons are not too bad. Do they take a long time to run?

My issues are these:
1. I only get a few hours at night to play, so slow leveling and no feeling of progression is a problem.
2. I am not a particularly social MMORPG player.
3. I could always try going back to WoW for that fix, as it is familiar ground.

I was always drawn to FFXIV, as I like the job system, the aesthetic, the complexity of the world, and the combat felt good.

Any thoughts?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FFXIV has been my primary MMO since it released. I just capped my Bard with i270 gear in preparation for the expansion that comes out next week. A couple thoughts.
baelthazar wrote:Now I am mostly a solo player, so I am a little worried about the forced grouping for the story missions in FFXIV. I heave heard, however, that these dungeons are not too bad. Do they take a long time to run?
There are lots of group dungeons, but they're typically pretty quick, 30 minutes max. The queue times can get a little nasty for DPS (and it's going to get worse when they add two more DPS classes), but are nearly instant for tanks and healers.

There's a bunch of optional raids (both 8 and 24 man) that range from faceroll to "you're required to know every step of the dance if you want to survive". I haven't gotten into that scene much, outside of doing the ones required to improve gear. I've never bothered with Alexander or Binding Coils.

I will warn that the end-game is entirely dungeon/raid/primal focused, but it would likely be a long time until you get to that point.
1. I only get a few hours at night to play, so slow leveling and no feeling of progression is a problem.
I'm in the same boat...1-2 hours is considered a long night for me. One of the primary benefits to FFXIV is that it has a fantastic story, so you'll always feel like you're accomplishing something. In addition, one character than play any class, simply by changing weapons. So if you get bored of your tank, switch over to a DPS and level there. Many of the skills are actually cross-class, so you'll be improving other classes as you play. It's a great system, and I like it far better than having to roll up multiple alts to try different classes. I highly doubt you'd be frustrated with the pace of progression
2. I am not a particularly social MMORPG player.
I'm actively anti-social in games, and played through all of FFXIV (outside of the forced group dungeons) solo. I randomly joined a Free Company (guild), and lucked into a really good group of folks. Been playing with them for the last couple years.
I was always drawn to FFXIV, as I like the job system, the aesthetic, the complexity of the world, and the combat felt good.
With the caveat that I've been a huge Final Fantasy fanboy for the last 30 years, FFXIV is the only MMO that has ever kept my interest over the long haul, and I've tried...well...all of them. The flexibility of the job system, the overall art direction, the amazing music, the fantastic storyline, and the neverending list of things to do/try/explore has kept me coming back (with a few breaks). I absolutely cannot wait to get started on Stormwind next week.

One warning is that I'd stick to the base game for now. Both of the expansions require you to complete the main story quests from the previous release before you even get access to their content. Takes 100+ hours to get through Realm Reborn and probably another 30-40 for Heavensward. You can apparently buy tokens (for $20) that allow you to just skip to the end of it all, but that seems like a huge waste for such a story-driven game.

Also, FFXIV is still subscription based. Sounds like you knew that, but I wanted to make sure. If you need something F2P, ESO is an excellent choice as well. I've been mostly bouncing around between those two.

If you decide to jump in, you're welcome to join our Free Company on Coeurl. It's a great group of folks, and can help you get started pretty quickly. I'm Bayard Elderwood, shoot me an friend request. I'll be on every night after the 16th. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Thanks Pupy! I think I will look into going back in to the game. I messed a bit with TESO and it just feels wrong to me. I *may* have my characters already on Coeurl, so that would be great to jump into your free company.

Any thoughts on a good starting profession? I was thinking about a magic user that had some DPS and healing skills. I did think that the new upcoming expansion pack added the Red Mage from the get go. Is that not right?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote:Thanks Pupy! I think I will look into going back in to the game. I messed a bit with TESO and it just feels wrong to me. I *may* have my characters already on Coeurl, so that would be great to jump into your free company.
Sorry, been buried this week and forgot to respond. I wasn't planning on jumping back in until the xpac early access starts on the 16th. But let me know if/when you're planning to be on this weekend, and I can get you an invite to the FC.
Any thoughts on a good starting profession? I was thinking about a magic user that had some DPS and healing skills. I did think that the new upcoming expansion pack added the Red Mage from the get go. Is that not right?
It's important to note that there are both classes (your starting profession) and jobs (specializations). Classes are the base class you start with, i.e. archer, conjurer, gladiator, etc. You then convert that into a more powerful Job once you've developed a few cross-class skills. For example, my Bard started out as the Archer class. I leveled Archer to level 30, then leveled Pugilist to level 15, which allowed me to unlock the more powerful Bard class. There's a good summary of classes and jobs here.

For a magic user, you'll probably want to start as a Thaumaturge (specializing to a Black Mage) or Arcanist (specializing to a Summoner). Both are solid classes and play much differently. The Red Mage is coming out with the Stormblood expansion, but again, you'd need to play through the base game and the first expansion (or pay to skip it all) before you could access that class.

There really isn't a caster/healer class...you're either one or the other. Healing classes can do some DPS (and I've read that's going to increase with the expansion), but most DPS classes have very limited healing skills. My bard only has one healing skill that heals about 7%, for example. I've never really needed it in solo play though...the PvE tends to be balanced very well for each class and group dungeons will always have a dedicated healer in the party. Plus, you can level up both Summoner (DPS) and White Mage (healer) on the same toon, and switch between them as you'd like.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Started early access last night, and its the typical series of long queues and random DCs that we've come to expect from big MMO launches. Unfortunately, there's also apparently an issue with their instance server, which means that nearly everyone playing can't progress past a certain quest early on which allows them to actually progress in the content. :grund:

Outside of that, the new areas are stunningly beautiful with absolutely incredible music. They changed my class (Bard) so much in this xpac that it's like playing an entirely different game, which will take some getting used to. Still, it's so nice to have something to do besides run dailies and end-game dungeons over and over again.

Bael, I'll be on tonight if you still need an FC invite. Just shoot a friend request to Bayard Elderwood.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I just happened to download the client last night and was going to re-sub today. Is it worth hopping in to the game right now or would it be better to wait until the dust settles on the new xpac, I would be strictly playing the original content as I think I only got to level 15 or 20 with my character but I definitely do not want to deal with queues, disconnects or long lines to kill quest mobs.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'd probably give it a week or two to settle. Last night was a disaster, and I'm hearing today isn't much better. And this is only early access for people who bought the collectors edition...the real crowds don't show up until it releases on the 20th.

I'm on one of the lowest pop servers (Coeurl) and while the queues weren't too bad (200, took 5-10 mins), I read that queues on the high pop servers are in the 2-3 hour range. Combine that with lots of random dc's and the instance issue I mentioned above, and people are pissed. Especially since Squeenix touted their move to a new data center last month as something that would help avoid this situation entirely
Tao

Post by Tao »

Okay, much thanks! I will hold off for a bit, wasn't really in a rush was just looking to dink around. Almost comical how Square keeps shooting themselves in the same foot and over the same game. :? I will check back in a few weeks.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well, since ESO didn't really take (2nd attempt too), I resubbed to FFXIV. May start fresh and start a character on Coeurl, or might play with my old character. I forget how far I got with him, though I remember I enjoyed my time. Looking forward to diving back in (despite Xpac congestion).
Tao

Post by Tao »

I noticed that there was a free trial for the game so rather than paying to re-sub and then possibly not being able to play due to expansion woes I figured I would create a free trial account and test the waters. I installed the client I downloaded last night, registered for a free account and then attempted to sign in and was presented with a prompt for a registration code...huh??? Apparently you need to download and install a separate client to use the Free trial. Instead of drawing me in to the game when my interest is high and I am looking to give them, albeit a small amount, some money Square puts up artificial barriers. They definitely have an interesting business model. :)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I've been irritated by Square doing unnecessary stuff like that before. I didn't have any problems resubbing and grabbing the client again. So I was pleased.

Started a new character on Coeurl and got to level 11. Then realized I needed instanced content for the level 10 quest and it was kicking me. So things were fun up until that point. Will call it a night, and hope to sneak that in maybe early tomorrow.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tao wrote:I noticed that there was a free trial for the game so rather than paying to re-sub and then possibly not being able to play due to expansion woes I figured I would create a free trial account and test the waters. I installed the client I downloaded last night, registered for a free account and then attempted to sign in and was presented with a prompt for a registration code...huh??? Apparently you need to download and install a separate client to use the Free trial. Instead of drawing me in to the game when my interest is high and I am looking to give them, albeit a small amount, some money Square puts up artificial barriers. They definitely have an interesting business model. :)
Yeah, they're always a pain in the ass when it comes to accounts and account management. I'm pretty sure their guiding principle is "why have only 1 step when 10 will do?". Overly complicated and terribly confusing seems to be their entire design model.

I wouldn't worry too much though...the game is an utter disaster right now. Even if you can even get past the queue and log in, nothing really works. The Duty Finder (matchmaking system) is completely borked and is dc'ing most people if they happen to actually get through the 30-45 minutes queue. You can't get into any instances, even the basic solo instances that progress the story. The queue times are ridiculous. People are getting locked out of their characters for 2-3 hours until Squeenix's system does some sort of reset. Those of us in Stormblood still can't progress past the NPC quest block, so we can really only play the first hour or so of new content before hitting a wall. Etc., etc.

FF XIV is a wonderful game, but I'd avoid it completely until at least a week until they get things sorted out. They've always had rough launches, but this one seems especially bad. Once some of the congestion dies down, I'm sure it'll be fine. That's always happened for past launches, anyways.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baroquen wrote:Yeah, I've been irritated by Square doing unnecessary stuff like that before. I didn't have any problems resubbing and grabbing the client again. So I was pleased.

Started a new character on Coeurl and got to level 11. Then realized I needed instanced content for the level 10 quest and it was kicking me. So things were fun up until that point. Will call it a night, and hope to sneak that in maybe early tomorrow.
You have an FC already? If not, hit me up and I can get you an invite to ours. Or just look up Halcyon (NPC) and submit an application.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I will be contacting you later today Pupy. I am Baelthazar Cyth. I got an hour or so in last night as an Arcanist and I like it so far. It took some time fiddling to get the UI to what I wanted it (I finally settled on setting it to 120% of the size to have the best balance between being able to read it and not taking up all of the screen. So far, so good, but I only got to about level 6 or so.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm out all day for Father's Day stuff, but should be back on tonight.

Got up super early this morning, and was able to get back the main story quest block because there was far less congestion at 6:30am. Being able to actually progress is a good thing. :) Things seem to be getting back to normal a bit so far today...will see how that goes as more people jump on.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I was able to knock out the (extremely early) story missions to keep progressing when I played this morning so that was nice.

Skinypupy - I'll hit you up for an invite later tonight. Thanks!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Pup,

I could not find Bayard Elderwood to send a friend request. Did I misspell something?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote:Pup,

I could not find Bayard Elderwood to send a friend request. Did I misspell something?
I have to be online to get it, and I haven't had much time to play the last couple days. Will probably be on tonight after 8:00 MT, will look for you.

With the caveat that today is technically release day, so there's a chance it could be a big 'ol mess of queues and dc's. :) Things were all back to normal last night, but we'll see how their servers survive another zerg rush.

EDIT: Yup, dc after dc tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive gone through a lot of shat to get to try this game and then once it downloads and I try to log in it just keeps telling me my id or pass is wrong...but they are both correct. I can log into the website fine but not the game. The only thing different is the game has a slot for a one time password. That requires either a security fob or a smartphone and I dont have those. Their help site says to leave it blank if Ive not registered a fob. Still cant log in.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been playing for years and have never entered the one-time password.

Never really had any log-in issues, but I do know that sometimes it takes a while for passwords to reset (if you did that step).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes I did do that step just before downloading the game. Maybe it will work later or tomorrow.

I had never tried this game but saw that the free trial has no limits on it at all other than once to 35 thats it unless you buy it. I think thats a very fair trial there and gives a true assessment of the game that way so figured Id give it a go. Still hope to.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh good Lord I didn't know Id played this before until I got in game and remembered it. I read this thread and it seems I own it. Welp I need to go check into a mental institution of my choosing now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh man what a mess. Found out the problem of owning it or not. I have two different accounts. The one I made for the free trial that will let me play to 35 with no restriction other than chat i think and the older one that I actually own the game on. I cant play that one because it wants a sub..a paying sub or time card to use it. I thought once I bought it I played it like most other MMOs these days...ya I know some still require pay. But blargh. Guess I wont bother with this one. The only MMO Id pay for these days is Star Wars just because Im not burnt out on it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Shadowbringers xpac for FF XIV starts early access today, with full release next week. I took a couple months break after getting my main to i400, and am excited to jump back in. They've made a ton of changes to streamline each class (no more managing TP, yay!), and the new areas look incredible.

Back to Eorzea we go!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm jumping back into this tonight due to the strong reviews of Shadowbringers. I'm not going to buy the expansion right now until I decide whether or not I'm going to stick with it, but figured it was worth another shot.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I had been resisting re-subbing but caved about a week ago. I'm enjoying it for now. I liked it the last few couple times I played too, but eventually drifted off. Not sure how long the honeymoon will last this time.

(I feel like I could say this about 80% of the games I play, minus the subscription part).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If either of you are on Coeurl, give me a shout (Bayard Elderwood).

The new content has been incredible so far, and after a bit of an initial shock, I'm actually really liking how they streamlined the BRD's abilities. I just wish the game wasn't such a slow starter, as the base game is really kind of a slog. Once you get into the xpacs though, it really starts to shine.

Oh, and the music is absolutely incredible.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm having a blast with it again so far. Rolled up a Marauder. I don't think I'm on Coeurl though, as I had to take what I could get. I guess a LOT of people are re-subbing, because almost every world was not accepting new characters.

I really want to grab the expansion but don't see the need to do so until I hit 35 and need to start paying anyway. It does look incredible though.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am I'm having a blast with it again so far. Rolled up a Marauder. I don't think I'm on Coeurl though, as I had to take what I could get. I guess a LOT of people are re-subbing, because almost every world was not accepting new characters.

I really want to grab the expansion but don't see the need to do so until I hit 35 and need to start paying anyway. It does look incredible though.
I subbed but did not buy any expansion with the hope of joining some others on Hyperion. Not only has it never been available to make new characters but many time *every* server has been completely unavailable. We finally gave up trying to join others on older servers and everyone re-rolled or transferred to Diabolos.

I've never played a character past 31 so I've never even seen any expansion content, but I'm having a good time now with at least one fellow Wanderer (but we aren't playing under that name).
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I did not re-roll but did change my focus. I apparently had worked on thief/ninja and arcanist/scholar in past runs with the game. This time I'm leveling up Archer/Bard and trying to plow through the MSQ. Though I know I did Archer stuff a long, LONG time ago on an old character. That might have been back near launch/relaunch.

What I like best about this game, is when I get tired of something, like a class/job, there's so many other things I can do instead to entertain myself.
Inventory is annoying, but not as bad as some other games.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baroquen wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:27 pmThis time I'm leveling up Archer/Bard and trying to plow through the MSQ. Though I know I did Archer stuff a long, LONG time ago on an old character. That might have been back near launch/relaunch.
Fwiw, I’ve played every class in the game (except the two brand new ones), and Bard is far and away my favorite. Once you get the timing of the rotation down, it’s a blast.

I’m a little disappointed that some of the support functionality was removed in this xpac (I feel far less useful in groups), but the DPS potential has increased significantly.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 am If either of you are on Coeurl, give me a shout (Bayard Elderwood).
Realized my character name isn't my username here. I'm Gronk Grinder if I cross paths with any of you. (Also on Coeurl).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:34 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 am If either of you are on Coeurl, give me a shout (Bayard Elderwood).
Realized my character name isn't my username here. I'm Gronk Grinder if I cross paths with any of you. (Also on Coeurl).
I vaguely remembered that you were someone from OO. Kept meaning to ask when I saw you in the FC, but thought "Hey, are you from OO?" would be a really weird question if you weren't. :lol:

Don't hesitate to shout out if you need help running anything.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I stupidly rolled my character with a free trial account, and now that I'm hooked realized I'd have to re-buy the base game to continue with her. Should have rolled her on my retail account. :grund:

Oh well, I've played enough to realize that I'm hooked back in. And I was a little bored with the Marauder class anyway. Looking forward to rolling something different.

I'll try to get on Coeurl.
Tao

Post by Tao »

How does the game play solo? I bought in when the game re-launched a few years ago and have tried playing two or three times since and each time the friends I had been playing with left for other games and I seem to recall hitting a wall each time where I was forced to group to run dungeons to advance the story. Am I remembering correctly and if so is that still the case?