tru1cy

Dawn of War 3?

Post by tru1cy »

Relic just tweeted this out
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
baelthazar

Re: Dawn of War 3?

Post by baelthazar »

Well, that's a Necron, so that looks promising!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dawn of War 2 is one of my favourite games of all time. I've been contemplating returning to it lately, especially since I have never finished the base campaign or the chaos one.

A Dawn of War 3 is most welcome.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Well, that makes this week a little bit better. Can't wait!

-Edit-

Oh, nevermind. It's just a new hero for Last Stand. Back to crap week.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah well.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:Well, that makes this week a little bit better. Can't wait!

-Edit-

What is Last Stand mode? Some sort of MOBA clone? That is a let down.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Well, that makes this week a little bit better. Can't wait!

-Edit-

What is Last Stand mode? Some sort of MOBA clone? That is a let down.
Last Stand is a co-op wave mode introduced way back around the time the Chaos Rising expansion came out. Three players choose their heroes and must work together to defend against stronger and stronger waves of enemies.

Last Stand is actually pretty fun in short bursts so don’t misunderstand my response. I’m just disappointed that this is DLC for a 5+ year old game as opposed to something new.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Last Stand is co-op king of the hill. My son likes it but I've never tried it.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The important thing to note is that they wouldn't work on this without reason.

They also wouldn't work on this if they didn't still have the license, which this just confirms they do through Sega.

They wouldn't have bothered at all if it didn't serve the run up to Dawn of War 3, and with E3 coming in June they'll start marketing it soon.

Relic saw a lot of turnover recently, so it's likely this was in part a way to get re-familiarized with the DoW code.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not unreasonable assumptions.

We'll see.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Turtle wrote:The important thing to note is that they wouldn't work on this without reason.
Maybe, but I do seem to recall you said the same thing about them putting all the work into the Tau Commander without releasing a Tau faction. :P

I hope you're right though!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Eh, that was before I realized that The Last Stand actually makes a lot of money. I didn't think they would bother unless it was part of a bigger army. But TLS gets more play than most other RTS games.

But a new DoW would be good timing, especially day with DX12 tech.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The Necron Lord is quite fun. Got him up to level 12 tonight. While we were playing there were over 3500 people playing DoW2. That is pretty amazing for a 6 year old game.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Something is being announced tomorrow!

Shaping up to be a pretty good year for Warhammer.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Lordnine wrote:Something is being announced tomorrow!

Shaping up to be a pretty good year for Warhammer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those of us that never see embedded Tweets here on OO, I believe you're linking to the trailer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Trailer didn't do it for me. However, Dow 1 and 2 did, so I'm in.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

It's about time, and much props to Turtle for calling this. Anyway, more Blood Ravens again. I wonder if they will focus on the Golden Throne failing and the Astronomican starting to fail which is cutting off parts of the Empire

PC Gamer have some screen shoots up

Imperial Knight being fielded is awesome!!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The PC Gamer article has quite a bit of info but it sounds like the person they have covering it isn’t that familiar with the series.

The author says the game has large scale battles; the screenshots look about on par with DoW1. I really hope that that is as large as it goes, I really enjoyed the small scale tactics of DoW2 and would hate if they turned the game into a meat grinder where small units didn’t matter.

He claims bases are back but only mentions building generators. I assume this means you have more base escalation than DoW2 but not as much as DoW1. Base building allowed for some interesting tactics in DoW1(Eldar especially) but is pretty out of place in the lore.

The author mentions what seems to be an escalation of the hero system from DoW2. At the start of battle each player gets to choose three Elites, basically heroes or super units, which define how you play. Gabriel Angelos is one such elite, as is the shown Imperial Knight.

Game page is already up on Steam, which might imply the release date isn’t that far off.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

ooh Titans. They had better be playable in the game!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Jesus. They're really putting the 'grim' back into the grim darkness of the 40th century. That was an impressively artistic trailer....but very different from what we've seen in the past.

But this is a preorder for me, so whatever. I still play the previous DoWs today.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

That trailer had a little too much artistic merit and not enough ass kicking. If I want to look at renaissance paintings, I'll go visit the museum of fine arts. Seeing as how we're talking about Warhammer 40k, I expect a little more WAAAAAAAAAAGH! and a little less "flowers (corpses) gently falling from the sky set to Enya".

That being said, like GreenGoo, I'm probably in anyway.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Shouldn't war have already dawned by the third game? I would think this would be Noon of War at least.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

To be fair, the first game wasn't really the dawn of war, either.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:To be fair, the first game wasn't really the dawn of war, either.
So that whole game was tense diplomatic negotiations?
Black Lives Matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

NickAragua wrote:To be fair, the first game wasn't really the dawn of war, either.
Yeah, from what I know, lord-wise, the war dawned with the coming of the Age of Strife (~15th millieum) and has continued in one form or another ever since.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Do Chapter Masters typically fight on the frontlines? That is one thing that seemed odd to me from a lore standpoint from the PC Gamer description. Unless the events are actually set before Dawn of War II!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:
So that whole game was tense diplomatic negotiations?
Yeah, turns out the Orks felt that their collective rights to wage WAAAAAAAAGH! were being infringed upon. So then the Imperium sent the Blood Ravens, who are experts in peaceful conflict resolution, to settle things down.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

With Battlefleet Gothic and now this game it truly is a good day to kill Xenos for the Emperor! Or WAAAGH! if you're playing as the Orks. Who knows what those fancy pants Eldar say.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

$iljanus wrote:With Battlefleet Gothic and now this game it truly is a good day to kill Xenos for the Emperor! Or WAAAGH! if you're playing as the Orks. Who knows what those fancy pants Eldar say.
"Look at me, I'm all graceful and fast because I'm a poncy space elf"
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

NickAragua wrote:
$iljanus wrote:With Battlefleet Gothic and now this game it truly is a good day to kill Xenos for the Emperor! Or WAAAGH! if you're playing as the Orks. Who knows what those fancy pants Eldar say.
"Look at me, I'm all graceful and fast because I'm a poncy space elf"
"I come to dance the Dance of Death."
"Death and Fate have taken the stage."
"In war there is poetry; in death, release."

:P

One of my favorite Eldar quotes.
I hear the song of the celestial heavens, and the music is cacophonous. It is strange but I find comfort in its dissonance. Righting the discord of the universal opus is what’s given my people purpose when, by all rights we as a race should have collapsed in upon ourselves. It is in such moments when species find their greatness or settle back into the muck that spawned them... For myself I have purpose if only to correct one particular stray note in a symphony ran amok. Win or lose, this battle is already my victory, my triumph. It is now fate which decides whether I am there to celebrate that fact or not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loved 1 & 2. The first more than the second. So in for 3.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's all, folks!
Relic Entertainment has left Dawn of War 3 behind to focus on new projects.

The RTS / MOBA hybrid launched in April 2017 and struggled to find an audience, with long-standing Dawn of War fans put off by the game's art style and MOBA elements. Conversely, the game's MOBA elements failed to attract fans of the genre.

Dawn of War 3's loyal player base was deemed too small to justify further investment in the game, with Relic and Sega chiefs expressing doubt that updates could turn things around. The decision to leave Dawn of War 3 behind means no new races will be added to the game, nor any expansions released, which will come as a disappointment to fans. Dawn of War 3 launched with just three races (Space Marines, Orks and Eldar) and the expectation was more would be added post-launch.
When a game underperforms, plans need to change. With Dawn of War 3, we simply don't have the foundation we need to produce major content. We're working in close partnership with Sega and Games Workshop to determine the best course of action, while shifting focus to other projects within our portfolio.
For Relic Entertainment, after a rocky 2017, 2018 looks brighter, with a couple of big projects on the go. The Vancouver-based studio is working on a brand new Age of Empires game for Microsoft, as well as another unannounced project.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

When it came out, I was expecting to pick it up. Then, I find out - no coop, and reviews aren't too hot, either. So, I forgot about it.

I played the game during the free weekend a while back. I liked the first Dawn of War well enough, and the second was awesome (went through it and all expansions in coop with a friend), but this one was just dumb. Completely passive AI in the campaign combined with a disjoint story really turned me off, to the point where even the recent 75% off sale doesn't tempt me.

I also don't actually do competitive RTS multiplayer anymore, so that part isn't relevant for me.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So was this game left in a messy state or did it somehow get repaired to funville? Its on sale at Steam for $10 @ 75% off.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I don't know, haven't really heard anything about it since that free weekend, when I felt it was mediocre at best. Since I don't really have the time to spend on mediocre games, it was a pass for me. I'd save my money honestly.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I asked a friend and he said quote...
had issues on a concept level
Oh well. Saved $10 with both your inputs on it. TY.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 pm When it came out, I was expecting to pick it up. Then, I find out - no coop, and reviews aren't too hot, either. So, I forgot about it.

I played the game during the free weekend a while back. I liked the first Dawn of War well enough, and the second was awesome (went through it and all expansions in coop with a friend), but this one was just dumb. Completely passive AI in the campaign combined with a disjoint story really turned me off, to the point where even the recent 75% off sale doesn't tempt me.

I also don't actually do competitive RTS multiplayer anymore, so that part isn't relevant for me.
Yeah, I still want to go back to DoW 2 - that was a bunch of fun before I stopped for whatever gaming ADD reason I had.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 pm So was this game left in a messy state or did it somehow get repaired to funville? Its on sale at Steam for $10 @ 75% off.
It was pretty disappointing to be honest. It launched in a rough state, about 6 months later they released a patch that fixed a lot of the game-play problems but the community was pretty much dead by then. The campaign was also sub par. I thought it got better as it went along but even at its best it was a bit disappointing.