[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 pm
rittchard wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 pm I think I gave up halfway through the first season when I didn't like how visceral it was. I realized it wasn't the kind of Trek I needed.
I'm not sure what you mean by too visceral

Found it too violent with the action being too in-your-face. I remember a fist-fight in a corridor somewhere that actually made me flinch with how brutal it was in its depiction. It was at that point I realized I didn't really need to see it, that Trek had deviated too much. Then I later heard about the Klingon Schlong. Heh, that would make for an interesting band name. But anyhow, it's the little things that had added up. For a Trek show, it was also pretty bloody.

Earlier Star Trek was never violent or gruesome.

You can dislike it because it's not the Star Trek you wanted, but it's hardly a violent sex fest.

People hated Next Gen when it came out because it wasn't TOS, then they hated DS9 because it wasn't Next Gen. Personally, I'm just going to enjoy the show, and appreciate that they're trying to capture as much of the original tone as possible while still trying to build a relationship with today's viewers.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sure, the tonality changed between all series, actually. Just happens that I don't appreciate the current tone it's taking. Nothing is going to change my opinion on that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 pm Sure, the tonality changed between all series, actually. Just happens that I don't appreciate the current tone it's taking. Nothing is going to change my opinion on that.
Dude. The next series has PICARD'S DOG!!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 pm Sure, the tonality changed between all series, actually. Just happens that I don't appreciate the current tone it's taking. Nothing is going to change my opinion on that.
That's fine. And nothing is going to change my opinion that you're wrong that it's overly violent. :wink:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Picard has a dog? I thought he had a goldfish. :P
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 pm
That's fine. And nothing is going to change my opinion that you're wrong that it's overly violent. :wink:
Uh, It's my opinion. How can an opinion be wrong? You like it, that's fine. Obviously, we have different tastes. All I can say is that Discovery doesn't appeal to me. I hope that the Picard series is more to my liking. IDIC. :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So my opinion that you’re wrong can’t be wrong because it is also an opinion? My god, we’ve created a paradox! The universe won’t be able to survive such an event. One of us must sacrifice their opinion so that the other can live!

...I’ll give you five bucks if you sacrifice yourself.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Careful, the universe might implode! :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

And that's how you got Trump.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because of a Star Trek reboot? Imagine what’ll happen if they reboot Far Out Space Nuts!
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 pm
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Now it would be really cool if the dog was just a manifestation in his head due to the onset of his Irumodic Syndrome.!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:So my opinion that you’re wrong can’t be wrong because it is also an opinion? My god, we’ve created a paradox! The universe won’t be able to survive such an event. One of us must sacrifice their opinion so that the other can live!

...I’ll give you five bucks if you sacrifice yourself.
Which clearly makes you Mirror Hepcat.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Come on, I've given you more to stop arguing with me in the past.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

What bugged me more was that it seemed like they had way better tech than they do later on in TNG. Part of this is the effects are so much better, of course, and that was also a problem with Enterprise. But part of it is the writing, in particular the Spore Drive which would seemingly negate half of the plotlines on the other series lol. But they seem to have found a way to write themselves out of this conundrum by the end of Season 2, and I expect Season 3 to change the series again. So in that sense judging the show's "tonality" by only select episodes, or even Season 1, for that matter, can be misleading.

Which also brings me to the side topic of do people really want prequels and/or "adjacent" storylines? Why is it so hard to just let things continue flowing in a timeline that viewers enjoy? I would have loved additional stories in the TNG timeline with some or all the cast members, but instead we got Voyager (which I still enjoyed but was deliberately kept out of the known universe) and a decade of prequels. Finally we have Picard and yet again they seem reluctant to give fans any sense of where their other favorite characters ended up. Maybe I'm wrong and they will work in some TNG references and guest appearances, but thus far it sure seems like they are avoiding it.

Random side note: if the Spore Drive is so awesome why did the Borg never co-opt it? If they did, just think Voyager could have got their hands on it and ended the series in one episode.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 pm What bugged me more was that it seemed like they had way better tech than they do later on in TNG.
Well, to be fair, Enterprise had a similar problem. The problem stems from having a prequel made during a different era. Enterprise looked more like something to come out of the Voyager era and only started to fix that issue a little too late with the 4th season. I've seen people argue that TOS was the way it looked due to the budget in the 60's, and partly, that's true. But it's also true that the look has become so iconic to early Trek that it's almost impossible to separate the two from an in-universe standpoint. If we look at TOS as a baseline, then technically we should be able to extrapolate how a TOS prequel should look in terms of technology. I'm not talking about set dressing like walls and lighting, but purely technology. The problem I find with most prequel ideas is that they don't find this to be important, so what you end up getting is modern tech in a prequel setting which is very jarring. So then you get the very awkward part where they try to explain away discrepencies after feeling boxed in. Hellooooooo, they chose to set it as a prequel! I think they knew very well what they were getting themselves into.

Btw, I watched most of season 1. I think I made it more than halfway through it before I realized it wasn't for me. Maybe episode 8? So, it's not like I didn't give it a fair chance, so my recollection isn't just from select episodes, but from what I'd been feeling overall.
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 am Come on, I've given you more to stop arguing with me in the past.
The world would love to see your argue with your past self :D You'd set the world on fire :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

For what it's worth, I think I slept thru almost every episode of the first 6-8, and had pretty much given up. After Season 2 was over, I decided to give it another chance. I tried to jump right into S2 but it felt like I had missed too much so I went back and watched (I think) the last 3 or 4 episodes of S1 and then S2. The last few were pretty cool, but it wasn't until somewhere in the middle of S2 that I got (more or less) hooked.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's partly my problem. Admittedly, Season 2 looks much better (Anson Mount, man! He was great in Hell on Wheels), but I feel that if I were to just jump in to season 2, I'd feel a little lost. Those are the perils of continual storytelling. You can't exactly just jump in and know what's going on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of the Picard show, new details. His dog's name is apparently Number 1 :D

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2019/ ... card-show/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will admit to being disappointed he has a pit bull.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remember the Eugenics Wars. I’m sure they’re quite docile “now”.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm Speaking of the Picard show, new details. His dog's name is apparently Number 1 :D
"Number 1! How many times have I told you, no Number 2 on the bridge!" (whacks dog with indestructible reading device, splitting it's skull in two).
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I don't know how you guys are letting me scoop these trailers. First Top Gun Maverick and now Picard. I never get to scoop things around here!

Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s absolutely not a conspiracy to keep you happy and engaged.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm It’s absolutely not a conspiracy to keep you happy and engaged.
It's a good thing you guys aren't overselling the conspiracy. It was pretty clever letting someone else scoop The Witcher trailer. Makes it almost perfect.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trailer looks damn sweet. But the Vulcans eyebrows look way off. Also Im wondering how much of that is all in his head. Im guessing he may be suffering from the beginning effects of his earlier meld with Sarak somehow.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holy crap. I am in, in, in for this one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That looks F'n Epic!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm in, of course. That trailer reminded me that I need to watch the last to Trek films with the kids before this airs. There's a major spoiler in there for one of them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:59 pm Trailer looks damn sweet. But the Vulcans eyebrows look way off. Also Im wondering how much of that is all in his head. Im guessing he may be suffering from the beginning effects of his earlier meld with Sarak somehow.
It does look good, but they do seem to be overplaying the Vulcans as elves thing.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't know. I think Vulcans have had many different variations over the years. I mean, just look at Spock's original version of the character, and Spock's half brother in ST5. I don't feel it's all that different from what we've seen before.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I got from that trailer is that we're getting hood wearing karate Vulcans. I'm surprised none of them used a bow.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine. I was just making an offhand comment on something I noticed in that trailer that might or might not even be a Vulcan.

As I suggested in my support of Star Trek Discovery, we're never going to get the Star Trek we clamor for, but we can hope for the best version these times will allow.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:53 pm I noticed in that trailer that might or might not even be a Vulcan.

Yep, could be a Romulan ;)

FWIW, Spock often wore a hood in the movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As part of Vulcan ceremonial robes, not ranger costumes.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess they went dual wield instead of bow specialization.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I just want the Amok Time music to be playing every time there's a Vulcan fight scene.

Also the lirpa and ahn'woon need to make an appearance.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:08 pm As part of Vulcan ceremonial robes, not ranger costumes.
Well, fair enough. Maybe they're forest-dwelling Vulcans as opposed to desert-dwelling Vulcans ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One does not simply walk into Vulcan.

Also, I want a Spockolas character.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 pm Which also brings me to the side topic of do people really want prequels and/or "adjacent" storylines? Why is it so hard to just let things continue flowing in a timeline that viewers enjoy? I would have loved additional stories in the TNG timeline with some or all the cast members, but instead we got Voyager (which I still enjoyed but was deliberately kept out of the known universe) and a decade of prequels. Finally we have Picard and yet again they seem reluctant to give fans any sense of where their other favorite characters ended up. Maybe I'm wrong and they will work in some TNG references and guest appearances, but thus far it sure seems like they are avoiding it.
OK shut up whiny Rittchard lol!

I was so excited hearing the Picard news this weekend! Data and 7 of 9? YES Please!!! Also confirmed Riker and Troi will be involved in some way, I'm guessing just guest appearances. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just read the article You might have to be a die-hard fan to get ‘Star Trek: Picard’ and it sure sounds interesting. Guess I'll need to rewatch some of the TNG movies in prep for this.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 pm I just read the article You might have to be a die-hard fan to get ‘Star Trek: Picard’ and it sure sounds interesting. Guess I'll need to rewatch some of the TNG movies in prep for this.
Backstory, Schmackstory. I know of Picard, Data and the Borg and that's all I need to know. More important to me is some original content.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter