The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

:think:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enlarge Image

And I guess I am very late to the party here

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... ax-returns

MULVANEY: Because they are not entitled to see them by law. By the way, they know, especially on this one, they know they’re never going to get these documents. This is a pure show-pony-type of situation. They know the legal reasons they can get those documents –

GARRETT: Legitimate legislative function.

MULVANEY: Right. And they’re not even close to that… They’re just doing this to make the president look bad. They don’t care. This is not about information about the president. Keep in mind, all of the president’s financial holdings, by law, are disclosed. Want to know what the president owns? Want to know how he makes money? All of that stuff is, by law, I have to fill out my form by the end of next week. So does he. This is just about trying to embarrass the president.

GARRETT: What’s embarrassing about his tax records?

MULVANEY: That’s what they want to know.

GARRETT: But what is it?

MULVANEY: I don’t know because I’ve never seen

GARRETT: Is there something embarrassing about his tax records?

MULVANEY: I have no idea and I don’t care.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 pm
The president had unblocked the seven people behind the initial lawsuit while the case was pending on appeal.
I dearly wish I could offend him enough to get him to block me. These are hands I'd like to shake.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

More jokes about staying in office past two terms (assuming he wins again) on Twitter today in a thread blasting fake news and certain Democratic presidential candidates.

Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You left off the best one.

...or a very nervous and skinny version of Pocahontas (1000/24th), as your President, rather than what you have now, so great looking and smart, a true Stable Genius! Sorry to say that even Social Media would be driven out of business along with, and finally, the Fake News Media!
"so great looking and smart, a true Stable Genius!"

Honestly, who talks like this about themselves?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

Assholes and deplorables. And insecure people who desperately want what they say to be true.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For the first time ever, I can't but see him writing humor in that and at the expense of his own perception. Short of the ad hominems, it's kinda funny. Now if he's not making light of... pretty much everything, then... yeeesh....
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Two other things:

1. The "Alfred E. Neumann" he tagged is some retired teacher in Illinois who, judging from his Twitter feed, hates Trump.
2. The escalator stunt was in 2015, not 2016.

Sundowning at 7am is usually not a good sign. But hey, he sure showed them libs! SUCH PRESIDENTIAL!! :roll:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The most defining trait of a stable person is their repeated insistence that they are stable.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Senile tweeting aside, the whole point of Trump's "Social Media Summit" is to pressure Facebook/Twitter/etc to stop banning or filtering white supremacists.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Every now and then, I start to think that the left sometimes goes too far. For example, boycotting Home Depot for the founder's support of Trump. As Marcus himself so eloquently responded:
I woke up this morning thinking it was going to be another great day. I've been celebrating with friends, family and the community since I turned 90. I've told you about the gracious gift of $117 million that was collected and given in my honor to four charities that mean a lot to me. All that happiness blew up because I said in a newspaper interview that I have supported and will continue to support Donald Trump.

Boom!

Negative stories... vicious threats, without cause, to boycott the company that has enabled my foundation to give billions to support autism, medical research, education, heart and neurological issues like stroke, and to help our veterans. The company that I retired from in 2002 and have not had a business relationship with in almost 20 years. A company that has employed more than a half-million people. The people who work there are affiliated with both political parties or no party at all. They are of all religions and all colors and backgrounds. Why would people want to hurt them?

All because I give my voice and some of my money to our President. Am I in China? Argentina? Russia? That's what it feels like to me.

It saddens me that our country has come to this, where I, as a private citizen, cannot express my feelings. It angers me and it saddens me, but it sure as hell is not going to stop me. If you thought it would, you've got the wrong guy.

In the next ten years, God willing, I will accomplish more to save this world than my critics will do even if they had forty lifetimes.
As he points out, he really has no connection to the company he founded anymore. And the outrage from the left would only end up harming innocent people.

But then I realize this dipshit president goes out of his way to foster this kind of atmosphere on an almost daily basis. So yeah, I think Marcus has a point. But I also think he has a responsibility to call out the Mangerine for doing the same goddamn shit.

However, Marcus HAS done a lot of good. So I think viewing him as a mortal enemy is wrong.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 am Every now and then, I start to think that the left sometimes goes too far. For example, boycotting Home Depot for the founder's support of Trump. As Marcus himself so eloquently responded:
I woke up this morning thinking it was going to be another great day. I've been celebrating with friends, family and the community since I turned 90. I've told you about the gracious gift of $117 million that was collected and given in my honor to four charities that mean a lot to me. All that happiness blew up because I said in a newspaper interview that I have supported and will continue to support Donald Trump.

Boom!

Negative stories... vicious threats, without cause, to boycott the company that has enabled my foundation to give billions to support autism, medical research, education, heart and neurological issues like stroke, and to help our veterans. The company that I retired from in 2002 and have not had a business relationship with in almost 20 years. A company that has employed more than a half-million people. The people who work there are affiliated with both political parties or no party at all. They are of all religions and all colors and backgrounds. Why would people want to hurt them?

All because I give my voice and some of my money to our President. Am I in China? Argentina? Russia? That's what it feels like to me.

It saddens me that our country has come to this, where I, as a private citizen, cannot express my feelings. It angers me and it saddens me, but it sure as hell is not going to stop me. If you thought it would, you've got the wrong guy.

In the next ten years, God willing, I will accomplish more to save this world than my critics will do even if they had forty lifetimes.
As he points out, he really has no connection to the company he founded anymore. And the outrage from the left would only end up harming innocent people.

But then I realize this dipshit president goes out of his way to foster this kind of atmosphere on an almost daily basis. So yeah, I think Marcus has a point. But I also think he has a responsibility to call out the Mangerine for doing the same goddamn shit.

However, Marcus HAS done a lot of good. So I think viewing him as a mortal enemy is wrong.

I'm all over the place with my thoughts on this.

1) The right do this sort of shit all of the time
2) That doesn't make it right
3) How much stock does he own (Bloomburg says he sold the last of shares off in 2018, which he was not required to disclose)
4) If the company is enabling him to give billions how does he have no business relationship with them
5) How does people not shopping at Home Depot equate to him living China, Argentina, Russia?
6) How are is feelings as a private citizen being silenced?
7) If he thinks he is being suppressed because media expressed an interest his using 100's of millions to express himself to support an administration that admires the rulership and press of China and Russia then I wouldn't even know how to hold a conversation with him.
8) How do you get angry with boycotters while you support a president who uses his position to actively manipulate markets and direct loyalty to businesses on a weekly basis as well as attacking private citizens?
9) Doing right earns my gratitude but it does not earn indulgences.

The only reason I shop at HD is because they are by far the most convenient of the big box hardware. They chose the supersmart model of opening all their stores around here near expressway exits on corners that easier to get in and out of then other similar corners in the area. His support of the president isn't going to change that. Now, different circumstances could change that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I take most of my hardware needs to the local Tru-Value anyway. Costs slightly more to support a local business, but I can afford a few extra bucks a year (I don't buy a lot of hardware). When I need something big or specialized, though, HD is my only real option since the Lowes closed. I have always disliked supporting such a notoriously conservative business...so this changes nothing for me. I was already semi-boycotting them.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 am I take most of my hardware needs to the local Tru-Value anyway. Costs slightly more to support a local business, but I can afford a few extra bucks a year (I don't buy a lot of hardware). When I need something big or specialized, though, HD is my only real option since the Lowes closed. I have always disliked supporting such a notoriously conservative business...so this changes nothing for me. I was already semi-boycotting them.
I stopped shopping there when whoever their current dictator is railed against having to pay his minions a living wage to do his bidding. I don't refer to the place as "The Home Despot" just for wordplay.
Black Lives Matter
Formix

Post by Formix »

I have personally worked for Bernie. He can save his mock outrage. Granted, boycotting Home Depot does not impact him directly, but I;m certain he still has stock, and it does send a message. He is not a good human being, and has no concept of what loyalty or a hard days work means.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Formix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 am He is not a good human being, and has no concept of what loyalty or a hard days work means.
Is this just sour grapes, or do you have actual evidence that any of that is even remotely true? Because honestly, almost everything I read about him is the polar opposite of what you wrote.

If simply disagreeing with someone makes them awful, then almost everyone in this world that I've met has been awful at some point. And while I disagree with Marcus on many, many things, it does seem like he's worked hard to get where he is, and that he has a long history of philanthropy.

I'd also like to point out that I did say that Marcus should be also mentioning that Trump does the same shit he's complaining about on an almost daily basis. By not doing so, he is guilty of hypocrisy, imho.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 am Every now and then, I start to think that the left sometimes goes too far. For example, boycotting Home Depot for the founder's support of Trump. As Marcus himself so eloquently responded:

Boom!

Well stated but boo-fucking-hoo. And it's not just his voice, it's the financial support.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have these weird moments when I want people to respect those they politically disagree with if they aren't blatantly awful human beings. But those moments usually pass and I go back to calling for the heads of anyone who supports the Mangerine.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:06 pm Well stated but boo-fucking-hoo. And it's not just his voice, it's the financial support.
He said he gave some money and that objecting to that means you are Russia.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe it was the boycotts that got him up in arms, not the vocal objections to where he sends his support. Since he's been a Trump supporter for years, I would think he would've written this ages ago if that was the only thing that triggered him.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 pm I believe it was the boycotts that got him up in arms, not the vocal objections to where he sends his support. Since he's been a Trump supporter for years, I would think he would've written this ages ago if that was the only thing that triggered him.
He gives money to Trump, people choose not to spend money at Home Depot. He can argue it's misguided, just like someone could argue that it's misguided to give money to Trump. But he can't cry all Russia and China. The hell is that?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Misguided" was my only takeaway. I tend to have a blind spot for goofy ass hyperbole in this day and age thanks to the current POTUS.

Oh, and that I want to be that feisty at 90.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Of course he gave money to Trump as a 90 year old billionaire. The Trump estate tax changes alone saved him $2.5-5 million. Plus the income tax changes.

Marcus is not a victim.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 pm Marcus is not a victim.
How can you say that when people are criticising him on social media? There are "negative stories" for God's sake. IS THIS CHINA?

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's certainly not a villain. But what the hell. It's a post Trump world. We have to view everyone as being either evil or good, depending on who we voted for in 2016. Long live the rule of social media mobs, and let's celebrate the death of nuance.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Here here!!!! To the death of Nuance!!!!! :horse:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I should probably check with the head writer again. I think I may have gone off the liberal script I was given a while back.

edit: psst...it's "hear, hear". Unless you're trying to lure people to a specific location? :wink:
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Three things happened here. First he was "attacked" online. Then he made a statement about the internet meanies. Then he gets "attacked" for overreacting.
The last bit has nothing to do with 2016 or even his political views. Not for me, anyway.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:39 pm edit: psst...it's "hear, hear". Unless you're trying to lure people to a specific location? :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The White House has basically turned into a bad Jerry Springer episode.

POTUS leaves without taking questions. “Talk to us! The real news!” Then this mess unfolded with Sebastian Gorka yelling at a journalist. Supporter say Gorka could “kick your punk ass.” This is happening in the Rose Garden.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:16 pm
I miss silverjon's posting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:16 pm
I miss silverjon's posting.
+1
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's right, I forgot captain sensible was her avatar.
Covfefe!
Formix

Post by Formix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am
Formix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 am He is not a good human being, and has no concept of what loyalty or a hard days work means.
Is this just sour grapes, or do you have actual evidence that any of that is even remotely true? Because honestly, almost everything I read about him is the polar opposite of what you wrote.

If simply disagreeing with someone makes them awful, then almost everyone in this world that I've met has been awful at some point. And while I disagree with Marcus on many, many things, it does seem like he's worked hard to get where he is, and that he has a long history of philanthropy.

I'd also like to point out that I did say that Marcus should be also mentioning that Trump does the same shit he's complaining about on an almost daily basis. By not doing so, he is guilty of hypocrisy, imho.
Well, I would say that almost nobody is entirely bad. As I'm fond of saying "Hitler was probably nice to his dogs." But based on conversations I have had with Bernie in his own home, and conversations I have overheard while in that home, my assessment was that he is not a nice human being. Can he be a nice guy? I'm sure he can. Out of all of my clients who were celebrities, and those solidly in the .01%, Bernie Marcus, J-Lo, and Bernie Goldberg were the bottom of the heap.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Paul Ryan and the Republicans have the moral courage of a cucumber:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... aaace882f9
Now out of office and trading in his power suits for a blue vest, Ryan is back to critiquing Trump in unflattering terms in conversations with Alberta, who writes the former speaker could not stand the idea of another two years with the president and saw retirement as an “escape hatch,” in Alberta’s words.

“We’ve gotten so numbed by it all,” Ryan says. “Not in government, but where we live our lives, we have a responsibility to try and rebuild. Don’t call a woman a ‘horse face.’ Don’t cheat on your wife. Don’t cheat on anything. Be a good person. Set a good example.”

Ryan depicts Trump as uneducated about the government.

“I told myself I gotta have a relationship with this guy to help him get his mind right,” Ryan recalls. “Because, I’m telling you, he didn’t know anything about government . . . I wanted to scold him all the time.”

Ryan says he sees the presidency getting worse, with Trump determined to govern and campaign on his terms, rejecting calls from other Republicans to moderate his message in 2020.

“Those of us around him really helped to stop him from making bad decisions. All the time,” Ryan says. “We helped him make much better decisions, which were contrary to kind of what his knee-jerk reaction was. Now I think he’s making some of these knee-jerk reactions.”
Great, Paul, confess now, when you have no power, that the Emperor has no clothes (or brains for that matter). Don't tell us when it might have mattered. Nice for you to stand by while Rome burned.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yep, utter cowards.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He got his tax cut through and thus punched his golden ticket. I don't see him as a coward. He wasnt scared. He was always a manipulative bastard and he is positioning himself for the inevitable fall so he can point and say...see I was always the adult in the room. He is a reprehensible opportunist.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.