Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm I started the first episode of S2 of Luke Cage, and watching Alger Woodard chew on the scenery is off putting.
I'm out. I can't muster myself to get back to it, and the gnashing of teeth in the other thread has made me just want to cut my losses on any remaining series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Go watch Umbrella Academy instead. It's a lot more fun.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's on the list. But then my list is much like Ironrod's DVD queue.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DVD queue? What, you listen to your 8 track tapes afterwards, grandpa? :P
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's still some stuff that I can't get in bits and bytes, whippersnapper.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So Jeph Loeb (former Marvel TV head) is a piece of shit.

(If you don't have Twitter, a former Daredevil actor revealed that Loeb told writers not to write for Nobu or Madame Gao because "nobody gives a shit about Asians.")
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:shock:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TheMix wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:28 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:23 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am I was all ready to come in and say that I'll miss them all, too. Then I realized I haven't yet watched S3 of Daredevil. Or S2 of Iron Fist. Or S2 of Punisher.

So I guess Netflix knows me better than I know me.
I just finished S2 of Luke Cage last night, so I am in the same place. I can't get excited about Iron Fist though.
I'm nearly the same place. Though for me it's S3 DD, S2 Luke Cage, and S2 Punisher.

coop, for what it's worth, I thought S2 Iron Fist was excellent. Sooooooooooooo much better than S1.

Of course, I also didn't hate S2 JJ... so you may think that my opinion is suspect. I actually really liked the flashbacks and getting to see JJ has something other than a bitter drunk.
I got about halfway into the first episode of s2 Iron Fist (and I liked the first season), when he does something so stupid and naive which felt like it was going to be a major story/plot line for the entire season that I just can't bear to watch it. I wanted to watch it, but not if it will be predicated on stupidity.
Spoiler:
When he just blindly signs away a huge chunk of the company
Can anyone confirm/deny that that idiocy drives most of the season's conflict? If it doesn't really mean anything, I can probably resume, but if the whole season is predicated on it, I will probably never watch it. Sure, Danny's character can be naive and stupid, but after s1 and Defenders, is it too much to ask for even just a hair of growth?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Actually, I thought that S2 was significantly better than S1. As I recall, he's still somewhat naive. But he definitely learns.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:35 pm Actually, I thought that S2 was significantly better than S1. As I recall, he's still somewhat naive. But he definitely learns.
In the ability to nap without missing anything? Sure.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am one of the few who actually really liked season 1 of Iron Fist but definitely watch season 2. It's much better and has a totally awesome ending - which will sadly not be followed up on.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote:I am one of the few who actually really liked season 1 of Iron Fist but definitely watch season 2. It's much better and has a totally awesome ending - which will sadly not be followed up on.
But is that first episode moment something which reverberates through the entire season?

I don't know if I can watch it if the entire season is based on that stupid moment.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I spent much of the first episode worried he wouldn’t find some shoes. Tetanus is no laughing matter.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've been working my way through The Punisher this week and just finished season 1 today.

I have a question about Lieberman.
Spoiler:
I get that when Wolf shot him, the bullet was stopped by the cellphone in his pocket. But this happened in the middle of the city in broad daylight. But somehow Wolf doesn't check the body, Lieberman is somehow able to get away and everyone assumes he's dead even though they don't have a body? Did I miss a bit of exposition that explains all this, or did the writers just hand-wave it all away?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I don't remember the specifics of the show enough to answer your question, but you might want to keep binging because the Marvel shows are leaving Netflix at the end of the month.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I know. Punisher is my token effort to finish at least one of the Netflix Marvel shows before they are pulled at the end of the month. I expect the rest of them will end up on my Disney+ backlog soon enough, but Punisher got the nod for being the least Disney of the lot. :lol:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
JCC

Post by JCC »

I hope the Netflix shows will show up on Disney + in short order. Or, a less desirable place (for me) like Hulu. Hopefully, Disney will quickly announce what the deal is. They are old shows, so I hope they don't just let them sit "in storage" for a while, or release them piecemeal. Either would be a total dick move by them - so they will probably do that... Sigh....
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:29 pm I've been working my way through The Punisher this week and just finished season 1 today.

Spoiler:
I get that when Wolf shot him, the bullet was stopped by the cellphone in his pocket. But this happened in the middle of the city in broad daylight. But somehow Wolf doesn't check the body, Lieberman is somehow able to get away and everyone assumes he's dead even though they don't have a body? Did I miss a bit of exposition that explains all this, or did the writers just hand-wave it all away?
I just finished up Punisher for the same reason. For me, that was the last of the Netflix series to get through.

On your spoiler:
Spoiler:
I didn't remember Wolf at all, though once I saw a picture I remembered. I also only remembered Leiberman as Micro. I don't think they explained completely, but there were several hand waves at Micro using his mad haxor skillz to completely disappear. I think he falsified all the reports including the police and morgue. I don't know if that was said or me just filling in the gaps.
I enjoyed all the Neflix Marvel series. They were flawed, but they swung for the fences. With some smart editing to get them all down to 10 episode seasons, I think they'd all be better. They were also all origin stories. It would have been nice to have a story or two of them as fully formed heroes (or whatever Luke Cage is now).
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:03 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:29 pm I've been working my way through The Punisher this week and just finished season 1 today.

Spoiler:
I just finished up Punisher for the same reason. For me, that was the last of the Netflix series to get through.

On your spoiler:
Spoiler:
I didn't remember Wolf at all, though once I saw a picture I remembered. I also only remembered Leiberman as Micro. I don't think they explained completely, but there were several hand waves at Micro using his mad haxor skillz to completely disappear. I think he falsified all the reports including the police and morgue. I don't know if that was said or me just filling in the gaps.
I enjoyed all the Neflix Marvel series. They were flawed, but they swung for the fences. With some smart editing to get them all down to 10 episode seasons, I think they'd all be better. They were also all origin stories. It would have been nice to have a story or two of them as fully formed heroes (or whatever Luke Cage is now).
I thought Bernthal did a GREAT job in that role. They did an amazing job at making sure he wasn't superhuman (other than surviving the amount of damage he took). One of my favorites right behind Dardevil's series.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I've finally gotten around to watching DD S3, and I'm really enjoying it. After the Defenders, I kind of thought I might need to watch Iron Fist and Luke Cage S2's, and I bounced hard off of both of those, as well as Jessica Jones S3.

But DD S3 is really good. The side characters Foggy and Karen are generally integral to the story, and not off in their own soap opera for vast swaths of the show, like JJ and Luke Cage devolved into. Dex does take up a couple of episodes, but it's a good payoff.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Finished DD S3 last night. Fantastic. All of the little side trips/flashbacks that initially felt a bit like filler all come back and dovetail extremely well into the main plot and overall themes of the season. Add in Kingpin and
Spoiler:
Bullseye
and you end up with a top notch superhero season.

Of course, it is still really dark and violent, as one expects with Frank Miller Daredevil, but with a very strong moral compass and also analysis/introspection of that dark and violent world and how it impacts the characters.

Everyone is so well cast. D'Onofrio as Kingpin was so good, Disney used him in one of their series. Nelson, Murdock and Page are all fantastic, and there are some really fun performances here (if you can accept the darkness and violence with which every character is dealing).

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 pm Finished DD S3 last night. Fantastic. All of the little side trips/flashbacks that initially felt a bit like filler all come back and dovetail extremely well into the main plot and overall themes of the season. Add in Kingpin and
Spoiler:
Bullseye
and you end up with a top notch superhero season.

Of course, it is still really dark and violent, as one expects with Frank Miller Daredevil, but with a very strong moral compass and also analysis/introspection of that dark and violent world and how it impacts the characters.

Everyone is so well cast. D'Onofrio as Kingpin was so good, Disney used him in one of their series. Nelson, Murdock and Page are all fantastic, and there are some really fun performances here (if you can accept the darkness and violence with which every character is dealing).
Add to that the fact that Deborah Ann Woll is a HUGE gaming nerd and DM for the stars, close to or on par with Joe Mangienello.

Also doesn't hurt that she's SMOKING hot.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I saw a couple of articles this morning stating that the full slate of Netflix Marvel shows is arriving on Disney+ on 16 March 2022 (in Canada, I presume the timing will be the same elsewhere), and that they will not be edited/cut/censored.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Or maybe not. According to yet another article I read this morning, Canada is the only region where the shows are confirmed as coming to Disney+ on 16 March. It speculates that in the US they may end up on Hulu rather than Disney+. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It was also fun seeing Joanne Whalley (Kilmer? still) back onscreen.

Not sure I'd seen her in anything since Kill Me Again back in the 80's.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She does a lot of historical dramas. Wolf Hall, The Borgias, The White Princess, etc..
He won. Period.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:42 am Or maybe not. According to yet another article I read this morning, Canada is the only region where the shows are confirmed as coming to Disney+ on 16 March. It speculates that in the US they may end up on Hulu rather than Disney+. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I thought your assumption might have been wrong, when I didn't read anything about it coming to Disney+ in the US. But the fact that Disney isn't just burying the shows are encouraging. It means they probably will be hitting either one of the two services soon so I was happy to hear it.

I watched the early seasons of shows - Daredevil 1 and 2, Jessica Jones (at least the first season). Maybe started the Punisher? Then I got a little tired of the "street level" dirt and grime/crime feel and wandered away. This would be a chance to catch up and finish some of those off.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished up with The Punisher yesterday. I was pretty happy with the resolution of both the Billy Russo and John Pilgrim story arcs. I wouldn't mind seeing Bernthal's Punisher pop up somewhere in the MCU in the future, but I doubt that is likely to happen. He's about as off-brand for Disney as it gets.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finally finished Daredevil S3 last night, which is the only Marvel show I cared about. Really good, I just wish they had not included the last 2 minutes as without it it would have been a really solid series ending. I hate cliffhanger teases, let seasons stand on their own!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

And it's now confirmed that these series are coming to Disney Plus in the US too. They're putting age restrictions on it, which makes sense I guess. March 16th is the date mentioned.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:29 am He's about as off-brand for Disney as it gets.
One word......Deadpool
He/Him/His/Porcupine
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:30 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:29 am He's about as off-brand for Disney as it gets.
One word......Deadpool
Deadpool was a Fox property originally.
Hodor.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:10 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:30 pm
One word......Deadpool
Deadpool was a Fox property originally.
But it's Disney now.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:06 pm I finally finished Daredevil S3 last night, which is the only Marvel show I cared about. Really good, I just wish they had not included the last 2 minutes as without it it would have been a really solid series ending. I hate cliffhanger teases, let seasons stand on their own!
Spoiler:
The Bullseye back surgery? Not sure why that would be an issue. Or are you talking about Nelson, Murdock and Page?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Deadpool is violent but goofy. The Punisher is something else entirely.

I really would like Disney to prove me wrong, though. :coffee:

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:30 pm
Lordnine wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:06 pm I finally finished Daredevil S3 last night, which is the only Marvel show I cared about. Really good, I just wish they had not included the last 2 minutes as without it it would have been a really solid series ending. I hate cliffhanger teases, let seasons stand on their own!
Spoiler:
The Bullseye back surgery? Not sure why that would be an issue. Or are you talking about Nelson, Murdock and Page?
Spoiler:
The back surgery. Because it leaves a loose end, a villain is still a threat, the heroes are in danger. Without it all villains are neutralized, Bullseye is paralyzed for life, Kingpin is in jail and can be controlled. The three heroes are going to be working together again in a non life or death situation, their story is complete and more or less ends with a happy ending.