[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Pyperkub

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Pyperkub »

Read them all multiple times. Enjoyed them thoroughly.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:52 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am Ugh. I have all of them (I think). I only ever managed to complete the first one. I hated them.
+1
I read the First and Second "Chronicles" back when they were first published. I recall having a really hard time getting into the first one and having to keep a dictionary handy. Not one to give up (back then) on the third try it finally clicked and then I read all six of them back to back, I do believe. Never felt a need to pick up the "Last Chronicles" when they started showing up again, what - 20 years later? :?
-mf
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The last chronicles were good too.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, the Hell Diver's series (1-4) are on sale for $1.99 each. Book 5 and upcoming book 6 are NOT discounted.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm FWIW, the Hell Diver's series (1-4) are on sale for $1.99 each. Book 5 and upcoming book 6 are NOT discounted.
What, there's a book five? Ah... soon... May 6th. 8-)
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Submitted without comment - The Sociopath Next Door is on sale for $2.99
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Subtitled: So you're moving to New Jersey.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Neil Gaiman's first novel Neverwhere is currently on sale for $2.99.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Princess Bride is $2.99 today, maybe the whole month.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 am The Princess Bride is $2.99 today, maybe the whole month.
This is an excellent read!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spearhead: An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives in World War II is $3.99 today. This book just came out so I'm pretty excited to see it on deep discount today:
When Clarence Smoyer is assigned to the gunner’s seat of his Sherman tank, his crewmates discover that the gentle giant from Pennsylvania has a hidden talent: He’s a natural-born shooter.

At first, Clarence and his fellow crews in the legendary 3rd Armored Division—“Spearhead”—thought their tanks were invincible. Then they met the German Panther, with a gun so murderous it could shoot through one Sherman and into the next. Soon a pattern emerged: The lead tank always gets hit.

After Clarence sees his friends cut down breaching the West Wall and holding the line in the Battle of the Bulge, he and his crew are given a weapon with the power to avenge their fallen brothers: the Pershing, a state-of-the-art “super tank,” one of twenty in the European theater.

But with it comes a harrowing new responsibility: Now they will spearhead every attack. That’s how Clarence, the corporal from coal country, finds himself leading the U.S. Army into its largest urban battle of the European war, the fight for Cologne, the “Fortress City” of Germany.

Battling through the ruins, Clarence will engage the fearsome Panther in a duel immortalized by an army cameraman. And he will square off with Gustav Schaefer, a teenager behind the trigger in a Panzer IV tank, whose crew has been sent on a suicide mission to stop the Americans.

As Clarence and Gustav trade fire down a long boulevard, they are taken by surprise by a tragic mistake of war. What happens next will haunt Clarence to the modern day, drawing him back to Cologne to do the unthinkable: to face his enemy, one last time.
If you're thinking, hey, this sounds familiar, we had a topic on it EBG in November.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might be interested, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow is on sale for $2.99 USD. I already have the trade size paperback, but that's a couple of pounds with pointy corners sitting in my lap so the Kindle version is more portable :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm For those who might be interested, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow is on sale for $2.99 USD. I already have the trade size paperback, but that's a couple of pounds with pointy corners sitting in my lap so the Kindle version is more portable :D
I have the Hardcover - ouch! Never quite finished it (got maybe 100-150 pages in). I'm not much for biographies/non-fiction. I tend far more towards SF/F, Mystery/Thriller, YA (mostly due to my author friend who writes YA), and literary fiction.

Still, enjoyed what I read, and Chernow is fantastic.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm For those who might be interested, Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow is on sale for $2.99 USD. I already have the trade size paperback, but that's a couple of pounds with pointy corners sitting in my lap so the Kindle version is more portable :D
I have the Hardcover - ouch! Never quite finished it (got maybe 100-150 pages in). I'm not much for biographies/non-fiction. I tend far more towards SF/F, Mystery/Thriller, YA (mostly due to my author friend who writes YA), and literary fiction.

Still, enjoyed what I read, and Chernow is fantastic.
I am very much the same way. I literally can't tell you the last time I read anything non-fiction, but I am loving Chernow's Hamilton. I just started it over the weekend after FINALLY defeating Oathbreaker, but the detail is fantastic. It makes me want to see the show again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I picked up Hamilton. Loved Chernow's Grant biography, though God knows when I'm going to find time to read this.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I picked it up as well. I'm in the middle of his Grant biography which is fantastic. Also have his 900+ page Washington biography waiting in the wings. :doh:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can usually add Audible versions for ~$7.50.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those interested, Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by quirky science writer Mary Roach is on sale for $2.99 USD.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Charles Stross's Laundry Files books (selected) on sale for $2.99:
REMINDER: "The Atrocity Archives", "The Delirium Brief", and "The Labyrinth Index" are ALL currently $2.99 as kindle ebooks (USA only)
One of my favorite new SF writers, and these tales of a British IT guy working for the supernatural MI 5/6 are pretty good.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those into political biography, Richard Nixon: The Life by John A. Farrell on sale today for $1.99 USD.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A few months ago, Guns, Germs and Steel was on sale, now it's Jarred Diamond's newest book, Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis as a $6.99 daily deal. Not a typical sale, but if you have credits (from slow shipping) and you're looking for something that was just released, it'll do. It's normally a $17 Kindle book:
In his international bestsellers Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse, Jared Diamond transformed our understanding of what makes civilizations rise and fall. Now, in his third book in this monumental trilogy, he reveals how successful nations recover from crises while adopting selective changes -- a coping mechanism more commonly associated with individuals recovering from personal crises.

Diamond compares how six countries have survived recent upheavals -- ranging from the forced opening of Japan by U.S. Commodore Perry's fleet, to the Soviet Union's attack on Finland, to a murderous coup or countercoup in Chile and Indonesia, to the transformations of Germany and Austria after World War Two. Because Diamond has lived and spoken the language in five of these six countries, he can present gut-wrenching histories experienced firsthand. These nations coped, to varying degrees, through mechanisms such as acknowledgment of responsibility, painfully honest self-appraisal, and learning from models of other nations. Looking to the future, Diamond examines whether the United States, Japan, and the whole world are successfully coping with the grave crises they currently face. Can we learn from lessons of the past?

Adding a psychological dimension to the in-depth history, geography, biology, and anthropology that mark all of Diamond's books, Upheaval reveals factors influencing how both whole nations and individual people can respond to big challenges. The result is a book epic in scope, but also his most personal book yet.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess to get people ready for the upcoming new season, Amazon has put most (all?) of the Expanse titles on discount for today.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:I guess to get people ready for the upcoming new season, Amazon has put most (all?) of the Expanse titles on discount for today.
Buy them all. I just finished Tiamat's Wrath, the last released book, and the whole ride has been solid. For those who prefer to read only finished series, there's only one book left unpublished, and it's coming in 2020.

There are also several novellas that don't appear to be Gold Boxed, but they're cheap anyway.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Zaxxon wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I guess to get people ready for the upcoming new season, Amazon has put most (all?) of the Expanse titles on discount for today.
Buy them all. I just finished Tiamat's Wrath, the last released book, and the whole ride has been solid. For those who prefer to read only finished series, there's only one book left unpublished, and it's coming in 2020.

There are also several novellas that don't appear to be Gold Boxed, but they're cheap anyway.
I'll second this...buy them now if you haven't already. I also just finished the latest book, and the ending can't be released soon enough. Every one of the main books has been fantastic. I'm debating now whether to read the novellas while I wait for the end...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Read the novellas. They take place at various times from before the first book to after the (current) last. They're fun.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kindle Unlimited $.99 for 3 months.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/su ... 9fe3700INT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie is $4.99 today:
From New York Times bestselling author Joe Abercrombie comes the first book in a new blockbuster fantasy trilogy where the age of the machine dawns, but the age of magic refuses to die.
The chimneys of industry rise over Adua and the world seethes with new opportunities. But old scores run deep as ever.
On the blood-soaked borders of Angland, Leo dan Brock struggles to win fame on the battlefield, and defeat the marauding armies of Stour Nightfall. He hopes for help from the crown. But King Jezal's son, the feckless Prince Orso, is a man who specializes in disappointments.
Savine dan Glokta - socialite, investor, and daughter of the most feared man in the Union - plans to claw her way to the top of the slag-heap of society by any means necessary. But the slums boil over with a rage that all the money in the world cannot control.
The age of the machine dawns, but the age of magic refuses to die. With the help of the mad hillwoman Isern-i-Phail, Rikke struggles to control the blessing, or the curse, of the Long Eye. Glimpsing the future is one thing, but with the guiding hand of the First of the Magi still pulling the strings, changing it will be quite another...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fire and Blood: 300 Years Before HBO Ruined the Ending of A Game of Thrones is on sale for $3.99 today:
Centuries before the events of A Game of Thrones, House Targaryen—the only family of dragonlords to survive the Doom of Valyria—took up residence on Dragonstone. Fire & Blood begins their tale with the legendary Aegon the Conqueror, creator of the Iron Throne, and goes on to recount the generations of Targaryens who fought to hold that iconic seat, all the way up to the civil war that nearly tore their dynasty apart.

What really happened during the Dance of the Dragons? Why was it so deadly to visit Valyria after the Doom? What were Maegor the Cruel’s worst crimes? What was it like in Westeros when dragons ruled the skies? These are but a few of the questions answered in this essential chronicle, as related by a learned maester of the Citadel and featuring more than eighty all-new black-and-white illustrations by artist Doug Wheatley. Readers have glimpsed small parts of this narrative in such volumes as The World of Ice & Fire, but now, for the first time, the full tapestry of Targaryen history is revealed.

With all the scope and grandeur of Gibbon’s The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Fire & Blood is the the first volume of the definitive two-part history of the Targaryens, giving readers a whole new appreciation for the dynamic, often bloody, and always fascinating history of Westeros.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Tor's free book download

Enlarge Image
I read this series in my youth when it first came out. Fortunato, the tantric sex ace who gets his powers through not ejaculating at the end of sex was rather strange but cool to a young kid.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Burning Chrome by William Gibson

$1.99