In Need of a Office / Gaming Chair

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

In Need of a Office / Gaming Chair

Post by Kasey Chang »

Since I destroyed one of my existing office chairs, it seems I am in need of a new chair 'soon'. (I can make do with my old one, which works fine, as I bought it specifically to withstand my weight, which is a little over the typical "250 lb" limit, but it's looking a bit shabby).

I want a headrest (technically, neck rest), as none of my existing chairs have this, and I don't feel like buying an Aereon, even used (those are like 4-700, even used) as I don't really want to "slouch". So it seems the only reasonable option was to buy a "racing/gaming" seat. And prices on those have came down really hard. I can buy one certified for 300 lb for under $100 on Amazon.

I've looked at the other chair options, but they either don't have a neck rest, or they are horribly expensive compared to the "racing/gaming" seats.

Any other recommendations?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Re: In Need of a Office / Gaming Chair

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm also in need of a desk chair, but I've ruled out buying anything online - no matter how good the price or reviews. I've learned that for some things there's no substitute for actually experiencing it before the purchase and a desk chair (IMHO) fits that label. Probably not very helpful, but that's what I'm going to do - retail.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kind of related, but I was curious about these racing/gaming chairs everyone seems to have these days and there were quite a few different makes and models at the local Staples and tried a few. I've learned that for the most part, they're uncomfortable to me. They don't really hold me the way my current mesh chair does. The only one that was vaguely comfortable ended up being too high and couldn't be adjusted to be any lower. So, no gaming chairs in my future.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The one you linked to is very similar to the one I just bought.
I love it. Best office/gaming chair I've owned.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got a La-Z-Boy branded office chair a few years ago. Cost at least double what you'd pay for a Staples chair (around $300, IIRC), but it will surely last at least twice as long. Comfortable and solidly-built, as you'd expect from that name. Only complaint is that the faux leather on the sides of the armrests is cracking. It uses bonded leather for all contact surfaces.

Prior to that I owned one that carried the Samsonite name, but I couldn't find any when I wanted to replace it with the same.

I've had way too many cheap Staples chairs that only last 1-3 years, and will never go that route again.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

My experience with fake leather chairs is that stuff always cracks and flakes off after awhile, so I spend the money for actual leather or get a cloth chair. That is unless you're willing to treat the fake leather chair as a disposable and get a new one once the cracking starts, which I'm not willing to do.

A long time ago I considered buying a Recaro seat and turning it into my office chair. If you've ever driven a car with one of those you'll know why I wanted that setup. It was one of those 'I'll get around to it one of these days' projects that I eventually never got around to doing. Then these gaming chairs started showing up and I figured the time to do the Recaro thing had passed. I'd just get a gaming chair if I wanted something like that now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The user reviews for that sub-100 racing/gaming chair are not that good. It seems they may rate it at 300 lbs, but people lighter than that said welding cracked after repeated use. *sigh* Apparently they also have models with a folded leg rest so the whole thing turns into sorta "recliner". But that seems to be overkill.

Since some of these seats sell for $200+, I figure there's gotta be a difference, and these $100 seats must be cutting corners somewhere. I think I'll wait a bit more.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This $130 chair is rated 350 lb.

I can get 400 lb rated chairs for $160. OTOH, I don't trust those ratings. :-P
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:13 am My experience with fake leather chairs is that stuff always cracks and flakes off after awhile, so I spend the money for actual leather or get a cloth chair. That is unless you're willing to treat the fake leather chair as a disposable and get a new one once the cracking starts, which I'm not willing to do.
Yup. Bonded leather isn't exactly fake, it's cheap leather constituted and pressed from scraps. It can be as durable as top-grain leather and looks genuine. It's a good way to buy a leather chair with medium bucks instead of the big ones (think $300 instead of $900). Problem is La-Z-Boy cut some corners by using faux leather (which is glorified plastic) on the non-contact surfaces, such as the sides of the arms, and that's cracking.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

As I'm a bit tall (6,82ft) I decided to treat myself to one of those. Not cheap by far, but even after a year, if I pay $1 a day.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:49 pm The one you linked to is very similar to the one I just bought.
I love it. Best office/gaming chair I've owned.
that is also the exact chair I bought my son for Christmas of 2017. It lasted less than a year. It is cheaply made where the seat support is located, a few simple welds where the arms attach to the frame. My son broke it getting out of the chair using the armrests and he weighs only about 130 lbs. I bought one of the ones at Staples ($199), it was not the most comfortable but I added a memory foam seat cushion and a head rest pillow and it is fine now. It is going on 1 1/2 years and not a problem other than a few squeaks all chairs seem to develop over time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd suggest going with an AKRacing Core Series EX Gaming Chair ($263.52) or, if you have a wider build, the AKRacing Core Series EX-Wide ($261.99):

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

It has an adjustable headrest with lumbar support, 3D adjustable armrests, and a Class-4 gaslift with 330lbs capacity. Better yet, the chair is made from durable fabric instead of cheap and nasty polyurethane leather that typically ends up splitting and peeling in fairly short order. The chairs have a high build quality as reflected by the warranty, so you do get a good bang for your buck.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I can get leather at the same rate, from the same maker, with even higher ratings and warranty...

https://drop.com/buy/akracing-max-gamin ... s#overview

Or I can just go all mesh, no fabric for $200.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-flex-task-chair
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:02 am I can get leather at the same rate, from the same maker, with even higher ratings and warranty...

https://drop.com/buy/akracing-max-gamin ... s#overview

Or I can just go all mesh, no fabric for $200.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-flex-task-chair
Whatever floats your goat. BTW, the AKRacing chair you linked to is polyurethane (PU) leather which ain't the same thing as (genuine) leather, and the warranty is identical to what I linked above. The point being, I think it's best to avoid going with a sub-$100 chair if you're looking for something comfy and durable. Spend a little extra for a solid and reliable brand with a decent warranty, and you won't regret it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

any chair under $200 is not going to last very long. spend $400 now for a long-lasting item of quality instead of $100 every 12-18 months.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If that's the case, I may as well buy a used Herman Miller Aeron "C" (large) chair used. It'd be about $350 or so.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:01 pm If that's the case, I may as well buy a used Herman Miller Aeron "C" (large) chair used. It'd be about $350 or so.
The official rating is 300 lb, and I'd trust that over any of the cheaper gaming chairs.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yes, that's the way to go.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

In the meanwhile, in order NOT to look at the ugly peeking PU leather seating surface, I bought a seat cover off Amazon. It stretches pretty well and looks pretty professional, even with the extra large seat. Forgot to take before/after photos, but at least now it looks okay. :)

Now I need to check if I can swap the back over so I can have the headrest...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I use an olde broken down lazy boy recliner for my gaming chair. It really needs to be replaced.
If I did I'd buy a cheap stuffed chair.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Argh. The back just broke on my heavy duty chair.

Now I *have* to try to move the back from that other chair over.

EDIT: Not possible. Mounting is completely different.

Great, need to buy ANOTHER chair.

In the meanwhile, will have to do with the old "task chair" (I got in Staples/ Office Depot years ago) I retired.

-----

Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience when the back broke on the chair. Almost felt like an upside down turtle for a while until I managed to get myself sitting upright again.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If it might be of any use to anyone, the article Before You Replace Your Desk Chair, Try Replacing Just the Part That's Broken was just posted over on The Inventory, part of the Kinja network.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I had to replace my chair recently.
I bought something highly rated off amazon, and it sucked giant donkey.

so I went out and sat in chairs. lots of them. a full days worth of sitting in chairs. costco, fred meyer, office depot, target, staples

I bought a Staples Sorina bonded leather Chair from staples office supply.

https://www.staples.com/staples-sorina- ... t_24328568

I really like it.
its comfortable. And, because the arm rests are attached to the back instead of the chair, there is expansion room for large thighs, or if you want to cross your leg. There is no pole attached to the side of the seat is what I mean.
I didn't want the head rest, but it has one that can be detached.
It seems pretty sturdy. I am not small, around 230, and I don't feel like its going to break when i sit in it.
the fet bars are made of metal, not plastic. I have broken too man of them plastic ones.
it says leather, but its only partial leather, and partial fabric. Thats OK with me, your mileage may vary.

its not mesh, and it doesn't have adjustable lumbar, and the arms can fold out of the way, but they are not adjustable in height.

its less than 200 dollars, and may be as low as 100, depending if its on sale.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Officially the Sarena is rated for 275, and I'm sure I'm just on the edge of that (I haven't weighed myself in a couple months)

I checked a couple other chairs in Staples collection. Their charis are cheaper than OfficeMax or Staples, and the Sarena is available for $100 w/ delivery. I'm tempted, but it seems my old armless task chair is doing okay for now. I think I'll hold off on that purchase. I know that chair is old, but it has survived me and months of "guest use". I think I retired it because it forces my knees together (when I sit, I tend to "man-sprawl" i.e. knees open) and this chair has raised side edges which makes man-sprawling uncomfortable)
Gato

Post by Gato »

I bought the Secret Lab Omega chair a few months back, Have only very good comments about it , it's just perfect in every way.
The only con is the price tag , 500$ cnd or about 375$ us

https://secretlab.co/collections/omega-series

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm on year 18 of my Aeron B. The $500 I paid for it amortized out is about 7 cents a day, I think.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm I'm on year 18 of my Aeron B. The $500 I paid for it amortized out is about 7 cents a day, I think.
Funny you should mention that. I had a chair that I got from a previous job. It was pretty comfortable. But something on the bottom started scraping the floor pad. So I got a new chair. But I'm not very happy with the new one. So I've been researching chairs. On a whim I took another look at the chair (it's been sitting in the garage for the last 6 months or so). Turns out it's an Aeron. I just ordered a new replacement cylinder for $30. Hopefully it will fix the problem. If it works, I may replace a couple other parts of it as well (the arms were pretty beat up).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given the 12 year warranty on Herman Miller chairs, I may add this to the list for my next replacement.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 pm Given the 12 year warranty on Herman Miller chairs, I may add this to the list for my next replacement.
Fully loaded refurbished ones are available pretty cheap. I just got my wife a new one and with a headrest, lumbar and all the trimmings it was only about $550, and looks identical to new.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:08 pm
gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm I'm on year 18 of my Aeron B. The $500 I paid for it amortized out is about 7 cents a day, I think.
Funny you should mention that. I had a chair that I got from a previous job. It was pretty comfortable. But something on the bottom started scraping the floor pad. So I got a new chair. But I'm not very happy with the new one. So I've been researching chairs. On a whim I took another look at the chair (it's been sitting in the garage for the last 6 months or so). Turns out it's an Aeron. I just ordered a new replacement cylinder for $30. Hopefully it will fix the problem. If it works, I may replace a couple other parts of it as well (the arms were pretty beat up).
The nice thing is that replacement parts are pretty easily found for them. I had to replace my cylinder as well and it was pretty inexpensive.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I may have found the ultimate compromise... A Steelcase Think chair. I can get them locally used for about $100-$150, and they are fabric, and rated for 400 lbs. Almost as adjustable as the Aeron. Now just to see if there's any left... :)

Enlarge Image

Else, local Cort Furniture Outlet (former lease) has some United Chair Savvy management chairs for $60 ($400 if new). The main problem is I can't find any weight ratings on this chair. *sigh*

Enlarge Image

EDIT: Took a LOT of searching, but weight limit on those chairs are 310 lbs. No headrest, but it's a medium back
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Actually went to CORT, the one chair they have on display has a busted arm (it rotates freely left and right, not locked down, and the armrests look beat)

Drove down to near the airport to check out two places, found a consignment store with a Haworth X99 with lumbar support. Pay only $38 for it. (MSRP is like about $800 new) it's basically this one except in all black

Enlarge Image

Love the chair so far. Everything is adjustable except the back itself. Lumbar is adjustable in height and depth. Back tension is adjustable. Height is obviously adjustable. Even the seat length is adjustable. And armrest height and angle are adjustable too. They have another one for same price. I'm almost tempted to buy it too, but I don't have to room for it. They actually have 4, but the other two are wobbly. Either center cylinder is damage or the wheels / base are damaged.

Oh, and I looked it up. Rated for 300 lbs. Should be fine for me.

And it just happens that I ordered a seat cushion, one of those heavily padded memory foam one for my existing task seat. And now the seat is actually comfortable. The heavy foam padded the sides so I can manspread all I want. Hahaha. :)
morlac

Post by morlac »

Gato wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:05 pm I bought the Secret Lab Omega chair a few months back, Have only very good comments about it , it's just perfect in every way.
The only con is the price tag , 500$ cnd or about 375$ us

https://secretlab.co/collections/omega-series

That was my first choice but I needed up getting this:
https://pulselabz.com/product-category/enforcer_series/

Saved about $150 getting it on sale and I love it. It may have been one of the best packaged products I have ever bought. Serious thought went into it, custom cut Styrofoam even. It's super comfy and well put together, can't recommend it enough. It's got universally great reviews albeit not a ton of them. Company is based in Canada but mine shipped from Cali super quick.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently I should buy the other chair for my dad, since he refused to move the TV closer to the bed in his room. He's using my old task chair (the one I used temporarily) to get closer to watch TV. *sigh* This is despite a recliner in the room.
Dunwestha

Post by Dunwestha »

Just wondering what chairs you guys use for logging in all those gaming hours.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

In the end I bought a Noblechair Hero and regardless of gaming or making music I seem to be able to sit comfortably as long as I want. Enlarge Image
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

that is a sweet looking chair. And if you stray from music or gaming, perhaps you could use when when tracking down the Jokers latest crime.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

In ever since that purchase I'm plotting them for him. :shhh:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I put in orders for Steelcase leaps today with upholstery color choices. The place we went to was an office supply B2B showroom rather than your standard office supply store. The sales lady was very patient, too her time with us, and cut us a deal. They will be available for pickup in 4-6 weeks, and we got both chairs discounted down to effectively half price.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 pm Wife and I put in orders for Steelcase leaps today with upholstery color choices. The place we went to was an office supply B2B showroom rather than your standard office supply store. The sales lady was very patient, too her time with us, and cut us a deal. They will be available for pickup in 4-6 weeks, and we got both chairs discounted down to effectively half price.
So, $300 each?