Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are principals covered by teachers' unions?

NBC News
A Florida principal has been reassigned to an administrative position after he told a parent in an email that the Holocaust was not a “factual, historical event.”

The Palm Beach Post revealed Friday that in a 2018 email exchange with a parent, Principal William Latson of the Spanish River Community High School said he could not “force” Holocaust lessons on children because some people don’t believe the Holocaust happened.

The parent, who had emailed to ask about Holocaust education at the high school in Boca Raton, Florida, replied saying, “The Holocaust is a factual, historical event,” according to the emails obtained by the daily newspaper.

Latson responded saying he had to be politically neutral and couldn’t affirm the parent's correct claim.

“I can’t say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee,” the principal at the school of more than 2000 students wrote.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

To be fair, I don't know that this email exchange actually happened. I have seen no proof so I can't say they it's an actual, factual historical event.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
In the many text messages exchanged by Michelle Carter and her suicidal boyfriend — as they strained to understand “the worst pain” and discussed the best ways to die — one observation stands out for its recognition of all the two teenagers could not fathom.

“Sometimes things happen and we never have the answers why,” Carter, then 17, mused to 18-year-old Conrad Roy III on a summer day in 2014.

Five years later, Carter, now 22, is seeking answers from the nation’s top court.

In a petition for Supreme Court review, filed on Monday, lawyers for the young woman are asking the justices to vacate Carter’s conviction for involuntary manslaughter in the July 2014 death of Roy, who poisoned himself with carbon monoxide in a Kmart parking lot in Fairhaven, Mass., after exchanging text messages and speaking twice on the phone with Carter on that summer day. She lived about 50 miles away in Plainville, Mass.

Calling her conviction “unprecedented,” the petition points to decisions in other states invalidating findings of culpability in cases of assisted suicide and cyberstalking. It claims that Carter’s right to free speech under the First Amendment shields her from criminal responsibility because her involvement was limited to “words alone.”

The new chapter in the explosive case, which captured international attention, opened the same week that a documentary about the events, “I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter,” airs on HBO.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
A federal judge sentenced Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman to life in prison plus 30 years, according to the US Attorneys for the Eastern District of New York.

The Court also ordered “El Chapo” to pay $12.6 Billion in forfeiture.

Restitution will be determined later.

Before today's sentencing, attorney Mariel Colon — who has visited Guzman regularly in prison before, during and after his trial — said she is optimistic about his chances on appeal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have a feeling that right now, Rand Paul might be even more hated than Trump. Stewart is gonna destroy that douche bag, I believe.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Wednesday blocked an attempt by Democrats to pass an extension of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) tried to win the Senate's consent to approve the House-passed bill, which would reauthorize funding until fiscal 2090. The bill cleared the House in a 402-12 vote last week.

But Paul objected, pointing to the country's growing debt and arguing that any new spending should be offset by cuts to other spending.
He added that if the House bill was brought up for a vote in the Senate he is planning to offer an amendment, "but until then I will object."

A spokesperson for Paul later told The Hill that Paul "is not blocking anything," adding that he is "simply seeking to pay for it."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoops, forgot to add the url link in my post. :oops:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got you.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Issy with an all time great gif there.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you. :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 pm I have a feeling that right now, Rand Paul might be even more hated than Trump. Stewart is gonna destroy that douche bag, I believe.
If Rand was my neighbor, I would totally beat him up.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Berkeley, CA:
With the change, “manholes” will be called “maintenance holes,” “firemen” will become “firefighters,” “manmade” will be “artificial” and all instances of “men and women” will be replaced by “people.”
Fine with most of those but a "maintenance hole"? Does not roll off the tongue quite the same as a manhole.

No pun intended.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
alternatively utility hole, cable chamber, maintenance hole, inspection chamber, access chamber or sewer hole
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I do prefer congressperson, firefighter, Law Enforcement, etc...

Is it weird that I think the big iron disk as a sewer lid, but it is a lid to manhole? I don't know why. Maybe because a sewer lid is in juxtaposition to a sewer grate. *shrug* I think I'm hitting old because I don't see me adjusting to "maintenance hole" I'm not saying it's not the right thing (or the wrong thing) but I just don't see me ever adapting.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 pm Berkeley, CA:
With the change, “manholes” will be called “maintenance holes,” “firemen” will become “firefighters,” “manmade” will be “artificial” and all instances of “men and women” will be replaced by “people.”
Fine with most of those but a "maintenance hole"? Does not roll off the tongue quite the same as a manhole.

No pun intended.
Maybe mainthole?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I could see someone using the epithet, "Go stick it in your maintenance hole."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 pm I have a feeling that right now, Rand Paul might be even more hated than Trump. Stewart is gonna destroy that douche bag, I believe.
As predicted, Stewart unloads on Rand Paul for being a bottom feeding ass.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I expected as much. Now, there was clamor for him to run in 2016...while he's not in the spotlight so much, I don't think his stock has diminished. Who would get behind a Jon Stewart candidacy? Keep in mind that while he was on the vanguard of actual fake news, he was still found to be the most trusted news source in a number of surveys/polls.

I personally think he'd be terrific. He would pick a supremely qualified supporting cast, and his heart is definitely in tune with where this country ought to be going.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, the Democrats need one more candidate!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It just blows me away (again) that the liberal press refuses to believe that half the country supports Trump and his beliefs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m blown away that Fox News thinks over 90 percent of America thinks it does.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:00 am It just blows me away (again) that the liberal press refuses to believe that half the country supports Trump and his beliefs.
Hence why there is a deathwatch thread. They've been circling the drain for awhile and generally speaking *still* haven't learned from their mistakes in 2016.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 pm I expected as much. Now, there was clamor for him to run in 2016...while he's not in the spotlight so much, I don't think his stock has diminished. Who would get behind a Jon Stewart candidacy? Keep in mind that while he was on the vanguard of actual fake news, he was still found to be the most trusted news source in a number of surveys/polls.

I personally think he'd be terrific. He would pick a supremely qualified supporting cast, and his heart is definitely in tune with where this country ought to be going.
I love Jon Stewart. I think his commentaries are good for the country. But, I can't get behind the idea of a comedian being President. It's too important of a position. Now, if he would run for Congress I would strongly consider supporting him. And after a few years in Congress I could voting for him for President.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:00 am It just blows me away (again) that the liberal press refuses to believe that half the country supports Trump and his beliefs.
I refuse to believe it as well. I continue to be dismayed learning that more that 1/3 the country does and that within our system "state's rights" history and the dangers of "big government" has made that enough concentrate power.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am But, I can't get behind the idea of a comedian being President.
It would be a step up from a reality tv hack though.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 am
msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am But, I can't get behind the idea of a comedian being President.
It would be a step up from a reality tv hack though.
An empty chair would be an improvement.
abr

Post by abr »

Let's ask Clint Eastwood if he knows one.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

abr wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:06 am Let's ask Clint Eastwood if he knows one.
:clap:

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Need jokesplaining.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 am
Need jokesplaining.
2012 RNC.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote:
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 pm I expected as much. Now, there was clamor for him to run in 2016...while he's not in the spotlight so much, I don't think his stock has diminished. Who would get behind a Jon Stewart candidacy? Keep in mind that while he was on the vanguard of actual fake news, he was still found to be the most trusted news source in a number of surveys/polls.

I love Jon Stewart. I think his commentaries are good for the country. But, I can't get behind the idea of a comedian being President. It's too important of a position. Now, if he would run for Congress I would strongly consider supporting him. And after a few years in Congress I could voting for him for President.
Franken made a pretty darned good senator.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lawbeefaroni wrote:Fine with most of those but a "maintenance hole"? Does not roll off the tongue quite the same as a manhole.
I'm not fine with it. This is a prime example of the extreme political correctness that Fox News and Trump supporters salivate over. I'm OK with firefighters since that's a profession, but the other stuff is liberal elite bullshit.

Want to know how Trump got elected? This kind of crap.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TRUMP 2020
Making Manholes Great Again!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:20 am
Lawbeefaroni wrote:Fine with most of those but a "maintenance hole"? Does not roll off the tongue quite the same as a manhole.
I'm not fine with it. This is a prime example of the extreme political correctness that Fox News and Trump supporters salivate over. I'm OK with firefighters since that's a profession, but the other stuff is liberal elite bullshit.

I mean I'm fine with Berkeley doing whatever they want. When their APB for a suspect is "BOLO for armed person of perfectly normal height and everyone is beautiful weight", best of luck to them.

But gender nonspecific language in code/law just makes sense. I've always used it in business correspondence unless I'm describing a specific individual.

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:

But why should anyone who doesn’t live there give a damn? Who cares what language a city/government wants to use for official business, especially if you’re on the other side of the country?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I mostly just shrug at this stuff. I think it's entirely unnecessary and frankly rather silly, but it has no real effect on anyone's life so...meh.

Yes, it's annoying to hear the deplorables bray about it, but let's be honest, they're always going to complain about things that provide even the slightest impediment to them being giant assholes to everyone around them. It may as well be something like this that ultimately has no impact on anything.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

msteelers wrote:But why should anyone who doesn’t live there give a damn? Who cares what language a city/government wants to use for official business, especially if you’re on the other side of the country?
That was my fault for not fully reading the article. My initial reaction was based on a lack of understanding this was just city/government approved language.

I still think replacing "manhole" and "manmade" is ludicrous, but it's not quite as egregious if it's confined to official government verbage.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:20 am

As long as they don't punish people for not adhering to their rules of grammar, I don't care what the hell they do. I personally find it silly, myself. But I can certainly see why the Rush Limbaughs and Tucker Carlsons of the world would try to paint it as a law that is being forced upon the long suffering users of the word "manhole".

We have liberal extremism, as well as conservative extremism. But as someone wisely pointed out the last time I mentioned this, the liberal extremists rarely have ideas that result in actual harm to anyone.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:I still think replacing "manhole" and "manmade" is ludicrous, but it's not quite as egregious if it's confined to official government verbage.
I agree. I don’t think the language is there specifically to promote one sex over the other. Certainly there are better things to worry about.

Still, I do find myself watching what I say. I’ve long used “guys” as a way to address a group of people, even if they were all women. “Hey guys, how’s it going?” Somewhere along the line I started to feel self conscious about that, and actively tried to say “ladies” if I know the group is entirely female.

I host trivia in the evenings at bars and restaurants. A few weeks ago I came up on a table to see if I could get them to play. It looked like two women sitting there, so I said “hello ladies, interested in playing some trivia tonight?” Turns out, one of the people at the table was a guy with some very nice, long, straight hair. He got pissed, I blushed, and now I’m paranoid every time I greet a table.