Final Fantasy 14? Wanderers?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Baroquen

Re: Final Fantasy 14? Wanderers?

Post by Baroquen »

Tao wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm How does the game play solo? I bought in when the game re-launched a few years ago and have tried playing two or three times since and each time the friends I had been playing with left for other games and I seem to recall hitting a wall each time where I was forced to group to run dungeons to advance the story. Am I remembering correctly and if so is that still the case?
While I'm still low-level, every time I've needed to run a dungeon for story/quest reasons, I've been able to find a party easily/quickly using the duty finder/group tool. In fact, today, the random Daily Leveling: Roulette wait was longer than when I queued up for a specific quest dungeon. And this was all as DPS.

Might get tougher to find parties at later levels. I don't know.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tao wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm How does the game play solo? I bought in when the game re-launched a few years ago and have tried playing two or three times since and each time the friends I had been playing with left for other games and I seem to recall hitting a wall each time where I was forced to group to run dungeons to advance the story. Am I remembering correctly and if so is that still the case?
You can play most of the game solo, but there are certain points where you'll be required to run group dungeons. Finding a group is a very simple process through the Duty Finder and rarely takes very long. Queues are nearly instant for Tanks and Healers, and maybe 10 mins for DPS (on Coeurl, anyways). Once you finish the dungeon, you can go back to solo content until the next dungeon story gate. Dungeons are one of the best ways to gain XP and gear though, so you'd kinda be doing yourself if a disservice if you ignored them entirely.

The only time you'd ever have trouble finding a group is if you were trying to run older optional content (I still haven't found a group to finish the Binding Coils yet, for example), but those are few and far between. The end-game is entirely dungeon/raid focused (as in most MMOs), but there's hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay that you could do 99% solo before you'd ever get to that point.

FWIW, in the nearly 6 years I've been playing, I can honestly count the number of bad PUG experiences I've had on one hand. People are generally very cool and helpful, especially if you let them know you're new or it's your first time running something.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Tao

Post by Tao »

The last time I played I recall now being completely unable to find a group for the older/early dungeons, it seemed no one was running the lower level stuff anymore. My highest character is only level 29 and I only have the base game. Looks like most of my characters are on Couerl though.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just depends on how many people are running lower level roulettes (daily random dungeons) at that time. If everyone's working on higher tier dungeons, it can sometimes take a while to find a party for the lower level stuff. I'm not quite sure how the roulettes are assigned, but the game is usually good about assigning a PUG to run with someone who is queuing for a specific dungeon.

Also, feel free to hit me up if you need help running something. I've got some lower level healers (may even have a tank or two) which makes things go much quicker. I can also get you an invite to our Free Company (guild) and they're pretty good about jumping in to help. Put your toon name on here, and I'll shoot you a friend request.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

In the last two weeks, I ran my archer/bard from about level 25 to 45 and have had no problems with grouping. It might be the influx of players because of the expansion, but regardless, it hasn't seemed to be a problem recently.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I ran three dungeons today (the ones they force you in around Level 20) and never waited more than 5 minutes. All great experiences - the pick up groups were fast and efficient. I was in and out of each on in 20 minutes.

FFXIV is definitely one of the most solo-friendly MMOs I've ever played - that seems odd given the occasional forced grouping, but they make it so easy that it's a non-issue. Also the new expansion brings the Trust system which will allow you to play compatible group content with NPCs.
Tao

Post by Tao »

So I figured I would give this a try again and downloaded the client installer last night but when I tried to install the game I was required to have an active paid subscription, huh? This evening I figured, okay, I will create a free trial account and then finish downloading the client and then I can decide if I want to sub. Nope, not gonna do it...now the client is requiring a registration code; why, because I am trying to install the "paid subscription" client, I now need to reinstall the "Free Trial" client instead. :grund: Looking back through this thread it appears this is the same nonsense I had to do when I tried to re-sub 2 years ago. Nice to see somethings never change. Someone please correct me if I am missing something here.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wish I could help, I have no experience with the free trial version.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow. Sorry for the hassles!

I think I had the game still on my hard drive, so it updated without issue. And I may have re-subbed, before loading/update the client, so I may have avoided the problem that way too. Regardless, that sucks hearing what you've had to go through.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had a bit of hassle as well Tao. I just wound up making a brand new Squeenix account with a different email and installed the trial with that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Does anyone know how the job unlocks work now?

I was following a guide that says I needed to get Pugilist to 15 and Archer to 30 to unlock Bard, but then I saw another guide that says they did away with secondary job leveling for new classes in one of the expansions. I spent a little time leveling Pugi last night but I don't want to bother getting him to 15 if I don't have to.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They got rid of the sub-class requirements, and you only need to to level up a main class now. An Archer at 30 unlocks Bard, no need to level Pugilist. They also ditched cross-class skills, so everything is self-contained for each class. It's actually a much better and cleaner system, imo, since it doesn't require you to grind classes you might not be interested in.

There's a few classes (Dancer, Machinist, etc.) that just require you to level any class up to 60 in order to unlock. General guide is here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Awesome, thanks SP!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just a quick update:

I've got my Bard (almost) to 50 - should hit it today. Khephra Harbinger on Coeurl.

Still having a lot of fun with it and anxious to get to expansion content since everything from Heavensward on will be new to me. I was originally planning on going Gunblade at 60 but I'm enjoying the ranged DPS so much I may just stick with the role and go Dancer.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I absolutely love Bard and have played it almost exclusively for the past 5 years. Dabbled in a few other classes (got a Dragoon up to 65 and a White Mage up to 63 at one point), but have always ended up coming back to BRD. Haven't tried the new Dancer class yet, it'll be next on my list once I wrap up the Shadowbringers storyline.

From a story perspective, all of the expansion content is miles better than the base game. I'd go so far to say that Shadowbringers has one of the best storylines in the entire Final Fantasy series. It's that good. The dungeons and raids get better as the xpacs progress as well, especially if you're a fan of old FF games (which much of the raid content is based around).

If you ever need help running anything, hit me up. I'll try to catch up with you when I'm on one of these evenings.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Update from my end - I've got my Bard up to 54 (I think.. maybe 52), and have finished the ARR main quests, and the first set of patch MSQ quests. It seems like all of the patch quests (Seventh Astral Era Quests) are treading water before getting to the expansion and really starting to progress again. Like the original endgame treadmill before the expansion packs opened the game up again?

So I'm focusing on plowing through that, and unlocking various hard dungeons and trials and such. When I get bored, I up the crafting classes, or dabble with another DoW class. Still enjoying it after the first month back.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have started this, picked up all the expansions for £20 on an offer at GMG with a bonus code as well.

I have started a Maurauder he is level 13. Really enjoying it so far.

Not sure on some bits like fishing or mining, how do you do them and when do they start level wise. Also stuff about classes what and when is not that clear but I am assuming I need to level up more yet
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You can move up to your next advanced class at 30, and then again at 60. Just have to talk to the appropriate class quest NPC and do their little assignment.

I completed the base content last night and moved into Heavensward stuff. Still having a ton of fun with it, and really excited to see the expansion content since I've never gotten this far in my previous forays into the game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The next class quest and main story quest will show up in a box in the top left of your screen when they become available. You can simply click on them and it will show you where to go to begin them. If the quest marker is red you're likely not high enough level yet, but you should always be able to find them easily.

It's been ages since I've done them (I'm not much into the crafting or gathering professions), but there should be a questgiver in the main cities. Fisher is in Limsa Lominsa, mining is in Ul'dah, iirc. Look for a questgiver that gives the "Way of the Fisher/Miner" etc quest. That'll give you starting gear and abilities.

I'm almost done with the Shadowbringers storyline (got distracted by Divinity OS2 on my PS4) and should hit the 80 level cap this week. Then the gear grind begins...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Another helpful hint Reemul:

I did a Level 50 Duty the other day (part of the main quest line) and got killed almost instantly (twice, in fact). The party finished it, but one of the guys in party chat said "Make sure you keep your accessories updated, folks - Level 20 in a Level 50 Duty isn't going to turn out well." I'm SOOOO glad he pointed that out, as I didn't realize that despite primary gear staying relatively within level from quest rewards, accessories such as rings, earrings, necklaces, etc. will fall far behind. I still had Level 20 accessories on at Level 50!

I immediately went to the Market Board and decked myself out in Bard appropriate Level 50 accessories and holy cow what a difference. I'm talking 3000 HP orders of difference.

It seems like a really newbie thing to overlook, but I just didn't know how critical item level was in this game compared to other MMOs. Keeping that jewelry current is going to help you out tremendously.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:29 am Another helpful hint Reemul:

I did a Level 50 Duty the other day (part of the main quest line) and got killed almost instantly (twice, in fact). The party finished it, but one of the guys in party chat said "Make sure you keep your accessories updated, folks - Level 20 in a Level 50 Duty isn't going to turn out well." I'm SOOOO glad he pointed that out, as I didn't realize that despite primary gear staying relatively within level from quest rewards, accessories such as rings, earrings, necklaces, etc. will fall far behind. I still had Level 20 accessories on at Level 50!

I immediately went to the Market Board and decked myself out in Bard appropriate Level 50 accessories and holy cow what a difference. I'm talking 3000 HP orders of difference.

It seems like a really newbie thing to overlook, but I just didn't know how critical item level was in this game compared to other MMOs. Keeping that jewelry current is going to help you out tremendously.
Yeah, that'll get you dead in a hurry.

Just FYI, you may want to check out shop vendors before buying stuff off the market board. They're way cheaper, and since you'll likely be upgrading them quickly (i.e. within the next 3-4 levels), it's probably not worth spending the frankly insane prices people ask for them on the Market Board.

You can get HQ gear off the Market Board, but I've found that they're way overpriced for the minimal stat difference that HQ gear provides. And again, they're pretty much disposable at that level, so I'd probably avoid HQ gear unless you're rolling in Gil.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Thansk for the help. lvl 16 now and also done some fishing :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FF XIV has large world bosses (called S-Ranks) that spawn under certain circumstances. Some of these spawn conditions are simple so they spawn often (I.E. have 10 people stand in a certain spot) and some are insanely specific so you hardly ever see them (I.E. 13 people must walk - not run - along a set line at night during a rainstorm).

There are 20 S-Ranks in the base game, and you get a title if you manage to kill them all. I’ve been stuck at 19 out of 20 for the past six years...until tonight. The last S-rank I needed in Southern Thanalan finally spawned and I was able to get the title.

Oh, and I hit the level cap with my Bard. :)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's awesome Skiny!

I'm still cranking away with my Bard at 52. The amount of stuff (quests, unlocking hard versions of dungeons, etc.) that opens up at 50 is a bit overwhelming. I'm just mainlining the story and doing side quests when they're convenient. I figure any progress is good progress.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished the main storyline for Shadowbringers this afternoon. I've played every Final Fantasy game (main games and spinoffs), and the story for this expansion is easily in my top five (likely just behind VII and FF Tactics: WotL). It's truly fantastic, and is - by far - the best example of storytelling to ever come out of an MMO. The last two dungeons are things of beauty, and the final boss is just...dayum.

Been listening to the FF VIII soundtrack all weekend in anticipation of opening up the latest raid. Onwards!
YellowKing wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:02 am I'm still cranking away with my Bard at 52. The amount of stuff (quests, unlocking hard versions of dungeons, etc.) that opens up at 50 is a bit overwhelming. I'm just mainlining the story and doing side quests when they're convenient. I figure any progress is good progress.
You and I must have opposite gaming schedules. Keep looking for you when I'm on, but no luck.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally made it to HEAVENSWARD!

I love you FFXIV, but man can you drag out some storylines!

I think there were at least a dozen instances where I thought, "And now THIS is the moment the new content will be unlocked and I will enter into the pearly gates of Ishgard!" And then some NPC would say "Not so fast, first I need you to go meet with so-and-so in this other city and run 5 or 6 FedEx quests and watch 30 minutes of cutscenes. Come back to me after that and I'll unlock a Duty that you'll need to wait half an hour to get a group for, and then.....MAYBE I'll lead you to a quest that 25 quests later MIGHT get you closer to getting in."

I say that a little half-jokingly because I genuinely have enjoyed the storyline. And I applaud Square Enix for staying true to the spirit of FF by making even the MMO a grand epic tale. They do a really good job of making you feel central to the whole story and I appreciate that.
Skinypupy wrote:You and I must have opposite gaming schedules. Keep looking for you when I'm on, but no luck.
Yeah my game time can be a little sporadic. Usually I'm popping on for an hour or two on random nights of the week. This weekend was a rare exception in which we had nothing going on and it was storming, so everyone kind of just did their own thing. That allowed me to sink around 10 hours into it and push through the remaining core content.
Tao

Post by Tao »

So I did bite the bullet a couple of weeks ago and resubbed so that I could download the game. My character was a level 27 Pugilist when I logged in and I (mistakenly) slogged through levelmetes for quite a while to finally get to level 30 and unlock the Monk class. Unfortunately the main mechanic for Monk seems to be position and since I play 99% solo it never really comes in to play and I found the skill rotations a bit lackluster. So I leveled Arcanist up to level 30 using the dungeon finder (Do'h :grund:) in a matter of a day or two and unlocked the Scholar class. Combat isn't any more exciting with only one real damage spell to throw but so far I am nigh un-killable with my fairy pet constantly healing. Oh and since Arcanist level 30 also counts toward Summoner I unlocked that as well. I do enjoy the combat a bit more as it feels a little more interactive to me. And just for fun I am now leveling a Rogue, currently level 15, to try out the Ninja. Ninja seems like a harder hitting more interesting version of the Monk, at least on paper. So I have a DPS class and a healing class at level 30 if anyone would like to group up and a level 15 Rogue as well. I am on Couerl.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just unlocked the Dancer class last night and after an hour or two running around with her, I'm really loving it.

The downside to the class is that it has an absolutely terrible tutorial quest that essentially thrusts you into a difficult boss fight with only the barest minimum of training. It took me 4 tries to beat it. I'd recommend patience during this process, as the combat flow will click eventually.

I don't know how the Dancer's DPS compares to the Bard (I'm assuming it's slightly less due to her strong support abilities), but it *feels* on par due to the constant action and big blows she pulls off with her dance combos. She has some absolutely killer AOE stuff, but that also means you have to be careful with her so as not to pull unwanted adds.

Also, don't be scared off by the description I've heard time and again of having to play some kind of dance combo "mini-game" during battle. All that means is you're hitting two skills in order (that may increase as you level, I don't know). They even highlight for you, so you don't even have to pay attention to the little combo indicator on the side.

While your dance combo skill is on cool down, you can just fire off your other skills, many of which will trigger yet other skills, so that you're constantly chaining moves. The skill cooldowns are really fast, so you've always got something to hit. It's a lot of fun and really requires you to be quick and engaged in combat. I haven't played her in a party yet as I wanted to get a bit more confidence in her first, but I'm sure she's a blast with a group.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I almost let my sub lapse, but it rolled over, and while initially regretting it, I've gotten back into it.

I'm almost through the MSQ to get to the first expansion. Finished all the necessary trials and such. Just have the last few quests to run, but haven't had time the last few days.

Once I break through, I'll level up Bard some more, but probably play around with some of the other classes. I might go back to the Arcanist classes, and Ninja, and possibly a healer. Also, I need to catch up with a few of my crafting classes that I've neglected. Haven't thought much about unlocking the newer classes. Might have to read up on them.

Still fun though.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I'm a Ninja. :ninja:
Tao

Post by Tao »

Having now played the Ninja for a few levels, the difference in damage output in relation to the Monk is significant. Even though the two Jobs share quite a few of the same support skills, heal, stun, defense, the Ninja just kills stuff so much quicker. I can see where the Monk may bring more utility in a group, i.e. end-game, but for solo the Ninja is much more efficient. Even though the Monk, at my current level, has 2 AOE attacks and the Ninja has none, the Ninja has an easier time fighting multiple pulls simply because I can burn them down so quickly. I am interested to see how some of the level 50/60 Jobs play.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just wrapped up the HEAVENSWARD storyline and headed towards STORMBLOOD.

My Dancer is a freaking beast. Open with a dance combo and I can take an even-leveled mob to below half health in one hit. Initially I thought her DPS was probably lower than Bard, but now I'm not so sure. I'm just rolling through stuff like a hot knife through butter. I also find her easier to keep constant DPS going in raids vs the Bard. Because her timers are so fast and she has so many skills, there's virtually zero downtime.

I may take a break between these expansions to knock out some Hard and Expert Duties. My quest journal is nearly full of them I've accumulated since wrapping up the base storyline, and I really need to clear some out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think I’m gonna start on Dancer here shortly, it looks pretty fun and I’m a little bored grinding with BRD.

Glad we could get you into the FC yesterday. :)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I did a little research and it seems the Dancer is on the bottom of the totem pole in terms of DPS. It sure doesn't feel like it though. Still a blast to play, so I'll stick with her. I tend to enjoy the "underdog" classes anyway because you don't see half the server playing one.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Finally finished the pre-Heavensward storyline. I had stopped right before the final "act" of scenes, so I knew I had a lot of exposition to watch, but I enjoyed it. Very dramatic, which is unusual for me with an MMORPG. Now I've unlocked the expansion, and immediately got side-tracked with crafting missions and the machinist quests. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow, and wandering whichever way the game leads me.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So I've been thinking about the main story quest as I begin the first expansion. Without going into the spoilery details, at the moment, playing this game kind of feels like one of those TV shows like X-Files, or Buffy, where there is major mythology being developed, and then, you blink and it's a "Monster of the Week" episode. For the game, there are major things happening, but if you ignore the MSQ, the world goes on as if nothing is amiss.

Now - 1) I guess that's true for most MMOs and their plot progressing quests. Warcraft and Guild Wars and other act in similar fashion, by nature of the genre. I get that. and 2) The status quo might change really quickly after another story quest or two. It's still just a freaky kind of limbo feel at the moment.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah you have to suspend disbelief a bit to reconcile the world-altering events you're taking part in and the seeming day-to-day business of all the NPCs.

However, I will say that after now having completed both the base game and Heavensward storylines, I feel like I've read several novels worth of some epic fantasy series. I love how they make you the centerpiece of the entire story, and I've grown as close to some of the characters in this game as I have in books I've read (I'm looking at you, Alphinaud!)

Kudos to the developers. It would have been very easy to just make a run-of-the-mill MMO with a Final Fantasy theme and be done with it. But they've managed to make something equal to - if not better - than the strong storylines that run throughout their single player RPGs.

Heck, a major part of what's keeping me interested in this game is my drive to see the Shadowbringers storyline. I've heard numerous people say it is the best in the game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:22 am Heck, a major part of what's keeping me interested in this game is my drive to see the Shadowbringers storyline. I've heard numerous people say it is the best in the game.
Trust me, it'll be worth it. Shadowbringers is incredible.

It's not just the best in FF XIV...it's one of the best in the entire Final Fantasy series (imho).
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The Complete Edition is on sale for $35.99 on Square's site, and I have the MMO itch. If I'm going to "try" to play more than two hours into this for the third time, any recommendations on how to start?

- Friendly servers/server groups/guilds? Are OO-friendly folk still playing on Couerl? (I never did, but I see it mentioned in the thread.)

- I like to play healer/support in groups. I don't think Mrs. Nym is going to be joining me, so far. Are the healing classes a drag in solo content, or can you have fun with them?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Re: Healers - I haven't been bored playing my healers in solo plays, but two thoughts: 1) It's so easy to get PUG groups to run dungeons, and it hasn't been annoying (at least the levels 1-60ish that I've played), and 2) with the ability to change classes, you could switch to a different class whenever the urge hits you. I guess I'm trying to say there's a lot of flexibility in how you can play. I haven't healed as much as I have in FFXIV since my raiding days of WoW.

(Yes... I re-subbed a week or so ago. Having fun playing during my "extra" time at home.)