Fundraising for 2019/2020. 12 Month renewal is up Oct 21/2019. $382.44 USD of roughly $1700 USD (CDN conversion) as of Aug 13/2019. Paypal Donation Link Here

Trump Trade War

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16810
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Octavious » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Farmers are sick of this bs as they are getting killed. If this war is still going on when the elections happen it's not going to help him in the least bit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
tjg_marantz
Posts: 14660
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Queen City, SK

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by tjg_marantz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 am

Octavious wrote:Farmers are sick of this bs as they are getting killed. If this war is still going on when the elections happen it's not going to help him in the least bit.
According to fox news, they are sticking with him...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs

User avatar
Scraper
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:59 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Scraper » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 am

According to CNBC he still has an approval rating with farmers near 80%, which is just mind boggling. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/10/trump-i ... china.html
FTE

User avatar
Enough
Posts: 14113
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Serendipity
Contact:

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Enough » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:48 am

If China acts on Hong Kong this trade war is going to get really tense.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell

malchior
Posts: 8766
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by malchior » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 am

Scraper wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 am
According to CNBC he still has an approval rating with farmers near 80%, which is just mind boggling. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/10/trump-i ... china.html
I think it is safe to say that with Trump economic considerations are *not* a key factor for this segment.

User avatar
gilraen
Posts: 2583
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by gilraen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 am

tjg_marantz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 am
Octavious wrote:Farmers are sick of this bs as they are getting killed. If this war is still going on when the elections happen it's not going to help him in the least bit.
According to fox news, they are sticking with him...
If someone ever wants to write a thesis on the most widespread occurrence of Stockholm Syndrome in history, they can study Trump's base.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60906
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

Does that mean he can cut their subsidies that China even if China were paying for, would be a short fall, especially as it's unfair to other exporters not being subsidized by tariffs on Chinese goods?

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26660
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 am

Trump won by stoking peoples' pride. That same pride makes it impossible for them to admit that they were wrong now that 'us vs them' has advanced to a point that they see "I was wrong" as "you were right." Many people who still support Trump have such cognitive dissonance that they are outright blocking contradictory information from their thinking process.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60906
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 am

Blackhawk wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 am
Trump won by stoking peoples' pride. That same pride makes it impossible for them to admit that they were wrong now that 'us vs them' has advanced to a point that they see "I was wrong" as "you were right." Many people who still support Trump have such cognitive dissonance that they are outright blocking contradictory information from their thinking process.
If the remaining "I don't support Trump but..." people in my life are a barometer, they're blaming democrats for obstructing and for being an even worse choice that is forcing them to support what is going on. All government is fucking them the but socialist extremist liberal democrats are the worst. Maybe the lack of enthusiasm will keep them at home so they can blame the shit storm that is about to come on democratic leadership freshly controlling 1/2 of federal government instead of freshly controlling 1/6th of federal government.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46325
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:47 am

Blackhawk wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 am
Trump won by stoking peoples' pride. That same pride makes it impossible for them to admit that they were wrong now that 'us vs them' has advanced to a point that they see "I was wrong" as "you were right." Many people who still support Trump have such cognitive dissonance that they are outright blocking contradictory information from their thinking process.
They have an easy cognitive fall-back: "It's all about the Supreme Court." I'm hearing that more and more as his supporters lose everything but their hats.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60906
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:47 am
They have an easy cognitive fall-back: "It's all about the Supreme Court." I'm hearing that more and more as his supporters lose everything but their hats.
That's what I was trying to say 2015. That was Lady Marmalade's never ending spiel on the campaign trail and Clinton rarely rallied in those terms, even as Obama was being obstructed for months on end. I couldn't understand it then and it's a primary source of my anger now. it's literally the root reason I say McConnell is the worst American of my lifetime and those that rally behind it and consider it a victory, there's no point in engaging with them. They've hit 160F. They are where I finally gave in to Us and Them.

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 24339
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by stessier » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Some tariffs scheduled to take effect Sept 1 have been pushed off until Dec 15 so as not to mess up Christmas shopping.
“We’re doing this for the Christmas season,” Trump told reporters on an airport tarmac around noon Tuesday. “Just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers.”

“But so far they’ve had virtually none,” the president added. “But just in case they might have an impact on people, what we’ve done is we’ve delayed it, so that they won’t be relevant to the Christmas shopping season.”
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 pm

So in a roundabout way, he's confirmed that his tariffs are a War on Christmas - and he's just delaying that war until 2020?

User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16810
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Octavious » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm SHOCKED. SHOCKKKKKKKKED that he's not going ahead with the plan in September. Of course we just need a hit piece from Fox to make him change his mind back.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46325
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm

What in the everloving fuck?

Every goddamned day he has a new stupid thing to say.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46325
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 pm
So in a roundabout way, he's confirmed that his tariffs are a War on Christmas - and he's just delaying that war until 2020?
No, just delaying until Dec 15 according to the CNBC article. So it's a last minute war, in the Christmas shopping spirit!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

malchior
Posts: 8766
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by malchior » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 pm

What they are saying is they don't want this to actually hit people in the pocket the Christmas before the election. Opportunistic shit bags.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60906
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm
What in the everloving fuck?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1UZ24U

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38379
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by hepcat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm



What the f is this idiot trying to say? :?
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60906
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Many give him credit when the market is doing well but blame the democrat obstruction when it is not. I can't imagine why.

Some people are saying he's the greatest president ever and one know Cheye-na better than him.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61007
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Bloomberg
The White House, while delaying tariffs on big-ticket consumer products until December, decided to push ahead with 10% tariffs on Chinese agricultural products as well as antiques, clothes, kitchenware and footwear from Sept. 1. The list ranges from the exotic -- live primates, whales and foxes -- to the more usual fare of milk and edible oils.

But the amount of farm products China exports to the U.S. is much smaller than what it imports from America, even with the retaliatory tariffs in place. China shipped $3.1 billion worth of farm goods to America in the first half of this year, while it purchased $5.6 billion of U.S. agricultural items over the same period, according to Chinese customs data.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61007
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:01 pm

CNN
The Dow fell more than 600 points Wednesday after the bond market, for the first time in over a decade, flashed a warning signal that has an eerily accurate track record for predicting recessions.

Here's what happened: The 10-year Treasury bond yield fell below 1.6% Wednesday morning, dropping just below the yield of the 2-year Treasury bond. It marked the first time since 2007 that 10-year bond yields fell below 2-year yields.

US stocks fell as investors sold stock in companies and moved it into bonds. The Dow (INDU) was about 2.4% lower. The broader S&P 500 (SPX) was down 2.4% and the Nasdaq (COMP) sank 2.6% Wednesday.

CNN Business' Fear and Greed Index signaled investors were fearful. The VIX (VIX) volatility index spiked 20%.

User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16810
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Octavious » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Trump is screaming how it's the Feds fault. :lol: Amazing how he's always surrounded by people that all suck while he's awesome. Must be rough.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10769
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by $iljanus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:Bloomberg
The White House, while delaying tariffs on big-ticket consumer products until December, decided to push ahead with 10% tariffs on Chinese agricultural products as well as antiques, clothes, kitchenware and footwear from Sept. 1. The list ranges from the exotic -- live primates, whales and foxes -- to the more usual fare of milk and edible oils.

But the amount of farm products China exports to the U.S. is much smaller than what it imports from America, even with the retaliatory tariffs in place. China shipped $3.1 billion worth of farm goods to America in the first half of this year, while it purchased $5.6 billion of U.S. agricultural items over the same period, according to Chinese customs data.
Hmm, better nail down that large order of primates quick...
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Freyland
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:03 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Freyland » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm

$iljanus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:Bloomberg
The White House, while delaying tariffs on big-ticket consumer products until December, decided to push ahead with 10% tariffs on Chinese agricultural products as well as antiques, clothes, kitchenware and footwear from Sept. 1. The list ranges from the exotic -- live primates, whales and foxes -- to the more usual fare of milk and edible oils.

But the amount of farm products China exports to the U.S. is much smaller than what it imports from America, even with the retaliatory tariffs in place. China shipped $3.1 billion worth of farm goods to America in the first half of this year, while it purchased $5.6 billion of U.S. agricultural items over the same period, according to Chinese customs data.
Hmm, better nail down that large order of primates quick...
Pro-tip: remember Amazon Prime won't let you order primates as just an "Add-on".
I don't remember where I read this, Cort, maybe it was in the last patch notes, but they said the UAZ really handles the best when... the wheels are actually touching the ground.
--RedF1ve

User avatar
Octavious
Posts: 16810
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Octavious » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:27 pm

-1880 for the month. That's pretty impressive. If I had time I would map the stock drops to the dumb shit he did. Hell you could pretty much do it by the minute using the twitter timestamps.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60906
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by LordMortis » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:27 pm
-1880 for the month. That's pretty impressive. If I had time I would map the stock drops to the dumb shit he did. Hell you could pretty much do it by the minute using the twitter timestamps.
I just saw a a collection of the ups and downs yesterday and I can't remember where I put a link and I can't find it today.

Edit:

it was in my last post

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1UZ24U

User avatar
Grifman
Posts: 18076
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Grifman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 pm

hepcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm


What the f is this idiot trying to say? :?
The press in China has been blaming "outside agitators" hinting broadly that Western govts are behind the protests.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

malchior
Posts: 8766
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by malchior » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:02 pm

Grifman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 pm
hepcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm


What the f is this idiot trying to say? :?
The press in China has been blaming "outside agitators" hinting broadly that Western govts are behind the protests.
That is probably not good for the people in HK.

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34082
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by Kraken » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Grifman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 pm
hepcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm


What the f is this idiot trying to say? :?
The press in China has been blaming "outside agitators" hinting broadly that Western govts are behind the protests.
Ordinarily I would give such accusations some credence, but I find it hard to believe that this administration has the soft power to pull off something like that, or the ability to keep anything clandestine...unless they're doing it without Trump's knowledge.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38379
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by hepcat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:26 am

It’s the kicker at the end that confuses me. In Trump speak, that sounds like he’s bragging that he IS responsible.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Post Reply