Computer won't power on

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Computer won't power on

Post by naednek »

Last week I was playing Division 2 and after about 10 minutes my pc went black. I have a glass windowed case and can see that my fans were powered off and the only lights that were on was my RGB. I tried turning off the computer using the case power button and nothing happened. Same with the reset button. So I powered it off from the power supply. I went to turn it back on from the power supply and nothing would light up. All I saw was a faint red light from the memory stick (rgb) and it would go away.

So I pulled the power supply and tested using the paper clip method. The power supply fan came on and the fan was spinning indicating it was working. With that said it had no load.

So I bought a new motherboard, installed it, only for nothing to power on except the rgb lights.

I was then thinking it was the power supply and was going to swap it out with my older one. But before doing so this mow I took out 1 stick of ram and powered on the machine. This time the fans came on and a few seconds later I heard a pop near my video card and then a orange glow. That went out and the machine shut off.

Now I think I just lost my video card which was supposed to be handed down to Ethan for Xmas.

I'm also worried I damaged the motherboard.

Any suggestions on how to test. I have no spare video cards to try.

I wished I tried my spare power supply first before the motherboard

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Re: Computer won't power on

Post by LordMortis »

I stopped being responsible for hardware knowledge many years ago, but it used to be that platter hard drives and NICs could cause a computer to "not power one" and the way to test would be to remove those things and see what happens. But again, I'm pretty far from hardware guy anymore. It doesn't pay to build yourself like it used to, everything has moved from universal to specialized, and my company gets NBD onsite warranties or better for everything, so I'm in the clear.

Still, if it were me I'd remove everything even all but one RAM stick (and then swap it for another), even the HD and see if you can a power signal and see the BIOS ,then start adding stuff.

Also, I can remember one time I had a mobo and didn't put in all the brass screws right and the Mobo+ metal case caused what I guess is a short until I pulled the Mobo and powered it independent of the case. That was a learning experience for non electric guy building machines at home.
naednek

Post by naednek »

It ended up being the power supply.

Lost the video card though :(
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I know it had plans for a worthy second life.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Paingod wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 am Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I know it had plans for a worthy second life.
I believe it was you who warned me about the Bronze power supply... Thing is I've always used one and never had any problems. The one I have in it now from my old PC is also bronze.