The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by malchior »

Trying to find out if this is real...WTF. He is unraveling in front of us and no one will do anything.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Let's just wait and see what the history books say about his ranking as President.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, he was asked about advice for kids going back to school in light of the recent shootings, but even in that context it's unbelievable he'd say that to kids. But the bit about Obama WAS totally out of left field.

Again, textbook sociopath.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:15 am Let's just wait and see what the history books say about his ranking as President.
To be fair to Trump - the worst President is still better than a bl ... no wait... Keny ...uh... illegitimate President.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:15 am Let's just wait and see what the history books say about his ranking as President.
Historians will slice and dice this presidency for many years to come. Trump is undeniably transformative, and the changes he's inflicting on the office, on the GOP, and on the country will take decades to fully unfold and understand. Whether he goes down as an historical uber-villain probably depends on what happens in 2020.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 am
Historians will slice and dice this presidency for many years to come. Trump is undeniably transformative, and the changes he's inflicting on the office, on the GOP, and on the country will take decades to fully unfold and understand. Whether he goes down as an historical uber-villain probably depends on what happens in 2020.
What he's done the State Department alone will be plaguing the nation for generations. Multiply that out to every single department or service and you basically have a situation where it will be impossible for historians to quantify the fuckovering he's done to this country. It's like trying to figure what the world would have been like without WWII.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 amWhether he goes down as an historical uber-villain probably depends on what happens in 2020.
Barring re-education camps Trump may not be an uber-villain but he undoubtedly will go down as the worst US President and probably the worst leader of the post-war advanced Democracies. However, what may happen is that Trump will become a side story in the big story of the time which is the anti-Democratic concentration of power that big "C" Capitalism wrought and how that undermined the ability of the West to deal with the climate emergency. In the end, he deserves nothing more than to be a symbol of the socio-pathic nature of modern American culture and the failures of this system. I also wouldn't be surprised that the tons of evidence about how he was a wretched and terrible human being will be what survives him.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I doubt you'd be able to find even one instance of truly compassionate altruism in his life, let alone his presidency.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 amTrump is undeniably transformative
So is necrotizing fasciitis. :hawk:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:43 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 amWhether he goes down as an historical uber-villain probably depends on what happens in 2020.
Barring re-education camps Trump may not be an uber-villain but he undoubtedly will go down as the worst US President and probably the worst leader of the post-war advanced Democracies. However, what may happen is that Trump will become a side story in the big story of the time which is the anti-Democratic concentration of power that big "C" Capitalism wrought and how that undermined the ability of the West to deal with the climate emergency. In the end, he deserves nothing more than to be a symbol of the socio-pathic nature of modern American culture and the failures of this system. I also wouldn't be surprised that the tons of evidence about how he was a wretched and terrible human being will be what survives him.
I don't disagree, but we can't quantify the damage yet. Best case, he's defeated by an overwhelming margin 15 months from now, his presidency is quickly reversed, the GOP is relegated to a regional party, Americans build a more egalitarian society with an economy that works for everyone, and authoritarianism wanes worldwide. Under that Trump-as-catalyst scenario, he could even prove to be a net positive for the backlash he creates. Worst case, he either wins or steals reelection, and that's the end of liberal democracy in the US. We might be able to come back from four years of regression, but I don't think we survive eight.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:43 pm
I don't disagree, but we can't quantify the damage yet. Best case, he's defeated by an overwhelming margin 15 months from now, his presidency is quickly reversed, the GOP is relegated to a regional party, Americans build a more egalitarian society with an economy that works for everyone, and authoritarianism wanes worldwide. Under that Trump-as-catalyst scenario, he could even prove to be a net positive for the backlash he creates. Worst case, he either wins or steals reelection, and that's the end of liberal democracy in the US. We might be able to come back from four years of regression, but I don't think we survive eight.
Honestly, I think Democrats (and here I'm mainly thinking congressional democrats, though presidential candidates should be beating this drum) should be relentlessly pounding on election security between now and 2020. Push the election security bills, and disrupt the normal flow of government as much as possible unless and until an acceptable election security bill is passed and signed. I think a big fight over this is way more important than impeachment. First, it's pretty easy to understand (who isn't for secure elections, other than Trump and McConnell?). Second, it dovetails nicely with Russian 2016 election interference ("why are Trump and McConnell blocking election security, unless they know that Trump benefited from it in 2016 and want him to do so again in 2020?). Third, even if they don't succeed in getting a bill enacted into law (or it passes but too late to have a meaningful impact prior to Nov. 2020) it cues up the issue for the public, which would be invaluable when trying to fix any election interference / fraud after the election. E.g., if Trump wins because of election shenanigans, Trump's going to immediately declare victory and GOP secretaries of state / governors are going to want to certify as quickly as possible - this primes the public to understand pushback against those efforts.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And now the sitting President is now actively promoting conspiracy theories that the Clintons had Epstein killed.

Awesome.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And when some nut tries something and specifically says he's not doing it because Trump told him to, Trump will at first condemn the action and say it's a tragedy then blame Fake News and later that day say they deserved it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The clear answer to being upset about being a pariah is to act *more* like a pariah.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I envision Trump on Yelp all night for the next week, giving one star reviews to every foreign restaurant and hotel he can find.

...ah, who am I kidding. He does that already for every one of them he hasn't sold his name to.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm sure they have already flagged his account in what he calls "conservative bias."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump turned on Scaramucci this past weekend after the Mooch criticized his Dayton and El Paso photo ops last week.

Man, I am just anxiously awaiting the day he turns on KellyAnne. I wanna witness the meltdown that will cause in the Conway household. Although I'm still not sure if KellyAnne has an actual soul, so she may continue to just blindly worship Trump in public, while secretly lambasting him at home in front of her husband.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm Trump turned on Scaramucci this past weekend after the Mooch criticized his Dayton and El Paso photo ops last week.

Man, I am just anxiously awaiting the day he turns on KellyAnne. I wanna witness the meltdown that will cause in the Conway household. Although I'm still not sure if KellyAnne has an actual soul, so she may continue to just blindly worship Trump in public, while secretly lambasting him at home in front of her husband.
We watched the latest Bill Maher show yesterday. Scaramucci was on. And still defending Trump out of "loyalty" because apparently he believes he and Trump are friends. I'm all for being loyal to friends, but how anyone can think that Trump is their friend is beyond me.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also, you would think he'd be careful about throwing around insults against another Donald. I really hope everyone starts calling him Donny - with associated insulting adjectives, of course.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm Trump turned on Scaramucci this past weekend after the Mooch criticized his Dayton and El Paso photo ops last week.

It's easy to dump on Scaramucci for waiting so long to turn on Trump (and Twitter has it covered), but we really need to leave the Mooch Option open if we want his supporters to abandon his camp.

I'm not saying I'll welcome Giuliani with open arms, but shitting all over the temporary staffer who finally repents is the wrong way to win back the country.

This goes for die-hard Deplorable voters as well, although they face the task of actually changing their beliefs (unlike Mooch, KellyAnne, etc, who have none).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You want to fund a wall, how about one in Illinois, rather than sitting on a report for two years while Asian carp move mile by mile toward Lake Michigan, you fucks.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 100306138/

https://www.dcreport.org/2017/07/13/som ... -illinois/

now

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/env ... story.html
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nothing to worry about here. Just another "acting" head of an agency trial ballooning another Trump fascism test.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't worry. The Mangerine is already seeking quotes on adding the line "Although if you're willing to sell your body to a rich guy, we'll let in some of you foreign chicks. But no bow wows!".
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote:Nothing to worry about here. Just another "acting" head of an agency trial ballooning another Trump fascism test.

Heh, unless you're one of the poor folks from a blue state complaining about those brown folks taking their government cash. But hey, they were born here or something like that and don't need to do back breaking labor because that's for Mexicans.

What a fucking tool.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Trump Trade War thread has some discussion about Trump losing (or not losing) support from his ardent supporters based on policies that affect them directly. Now there's a new segment:
The residents of Hardesty’s district — he’s a Trump-supporting, West Virginia state senator — were calling to complain that Trump was “using the Lord’s name in vain,” Hardesty recounted.

“The third phone call is when I actually went and watched his speech because each of them sounded distraught,” said Hardesty, who describes himself as a conservative Democrat.

Here’s what he would have seen: Trump crowing, “They'll be hit so g--damn hard,” while bragging about bombing Islamic State militants. And Trump recounting his warning to a wealthy businessman: “If you don't support me, you're going to be so g--damn poor.”

To most of America, the comments went unnoticed. Instead, the nation was gripped by the moment a “send her back” chant broke out as Trump went after Somali-born Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, an American citizen. But some Trump supporters were more fixated on his casual use of the word “g--damn” — an off-limits term for many Christians — not to mention the numerous other profanities laced throughout the rest of his speech.

“I’ve had people come to me and say, ‘You know I voted for [Trump], but if he doesn’t tone down the rhetoric, I might just stay home this time,’” Hardesty said in an interview, adding that he has yet to hear back from anyone inside the White House after urging the president in a formal letter to “reflect on your comments and never utter those words again.”
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's been married three times, cheated on at least two of them, has supported abortion in the past, and they're pissed because he swears???

Friggin' hypocritical morons.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:03 pm The Trump Trade War thread has some discussion about Trump losing (or not losing) support from his ardent supporters based on policies that affect them directly. Now there's a new segment:
The residents of Hardesty’s district — he’s a Trump-supporting, West Virginia state senator — were calling to complain that Trump was “using the Lord’s name in vain,” Hardesty recounted.

“The third phone call is when I actually went and watched his speech because each of them sounded distraught,” said Hardesty, who describes himself as a conservative Democrat.

Here’s what he would have seen: Trump crowing, “They'll be hit so g--damn hard,” while bragging about bombing Islamic State militants. And Trump recounting his warning to a wealthy businessman: “If you don't support me, you're going to be so g--damn poor.”

To most of America, the comments went unnoticed. Instead, the nation was gripped by the moment a “send her back” chant broke out as Trump went after Somali-born Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, an American citizen. But some Trump supporters were more fixated on his casual use of the word “g--damn” — an off-limits term for many Christians — not to mention the numerous other profanities laced throughout the rest of his speech.

“I’ve had people come to me and say, ‘You know I voted for [Trump], but if he doesn’t tone down the rhetoric, I might just stay home this time,’” Hardesty said in an interview, adding that he has yet to hear back from anyone inside the White House after urging the president in a formal letter to “reflect on your comments and never utter those words again.”
With all the grift, all the incompetence, all the destruction of norms, all the absurd, childish, petty, things he says and does...and this is what finally gets people upset? The fact that he said "goddamn"?!

Unreal.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Democrats should sound bite the snot out of that clip.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You really can begin to understand how a Kim Jong-un comes to happen when you see things like this.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I love that people are complaining about how he is a wimp because he didn't want to get his feet wet. Talk about missing the point. They poured a 'fucking *T*' for the guy to stroke his ego. The President is a simple egomaniac and people use that to play him over and over. Who gives a shit about his shoes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Uh...I don't know how you can defend this one...the best read is he was mansplaining what 'wretched' meant. Still I suspect this was a signal to Pepe that he knows what's up.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 pm Uh...I don't know how you can defend this one...the best read is he was mansplaining what 'wretched' meant. Still I suspect this was a signal to Pepe that he knows what's up.

I hate these Twitter videos. They are all choppy and skippy. How do I know they're not edited? I don't believe they are but they are really hard to follow.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I get it but the people tweeting out the clip (including Marshall here) are fairly well known journalists...so I expect it is vetted to some degree.

Edit: But here is a longer clip from the show itself - it gets worse because he starts off being a total douche to Burnett. In context, he seems to be just mansplaining what the 'huddled masses' and 'wretched refuses' referred to and then make some argument about how it was written one year after the public charge rules were put in place. If that has anything to do with anything.

That said, he went on the air with talking points about public charges. His intention was to skirt the point that Burnett was obviously going and kept trying to make about the spirit of immigration in this country. And that phrase 'about People from Europe' was clearly part of those talking points. He was prepared to make that point. I think it should be thought of as an intentional statement. Be it just awkward thoughtlessness or signaling to QAnon, these guys all seem to always be saying things on the borderline.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 pm Uh...I don't know how you can defend this one...the best read is he was mansplaining what 'wretched' meant. Still I suspect this was a signal to Pepe that he knows what's up.

I hate these Twitter videos. They are all choppy and skippy. How do I know they're not edited? I don't believe they are but they are really hard to follow.
You need to either go to the Twitter website or the Twitter app to watch the video without it being choppy. Videos in embedded tweets have issues.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh I've never had this issue - I thought this was more a concern about editorial editting, etc.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The insanity of the Trump cult, ladies and gentlemen, as portrayed by one of the biggest Trumpian grifters out there:

At least he's getting rightly ratioed for that one. Good grief.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know what ratioed means. Tested for mental competency before being sent to a sanitarium?
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm I don't know what ratioed means. Tested for mental competency before being sent to a sanitarium?
(neologism, Internet) Of a tweet on Twitter, having significantly more replies than retweets or likes, indicating popular dislike for the tweet in question.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles