Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Blackhawk »

Torfish wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 pm I bought Fire Emblem after work today. I think this is going to be my kind of game.. depth and story. Really like what I see after the first hour or so.
My son has had it on preorder for months. He's played every game in the series multiple times, including those never released in the US (and never translated into English.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m trying to resist thinking that this will finally be the Fire Emblem game that clicks for me when none of the others really have...and save myself $60 in the process.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote:I’m trying to resist thinking that this will finally be the Fire Emblem game that clicks for me when none of the others really have...and save myself $60 in the process.
$50 if you get the vouchers. Just sayin'.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Nothing else I’m interested in, so I’ll probably pass on the vouchers.

After reading a couple more reviews, it seems like this leans much more into Persona’ish social elements, which gives me a bit of pause. One thing I haven’t seen in the reviews is what the mix of social interaction vs combat actually is.

Am I spending 80% of my time tutoring students and buying gifts and 20% actually fighting? Vice versa? 50/50? That’d be helpful to know.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm only an hour in, but so far the battle is fun and I'm not feeling overly socialed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:39 am Courtesy notice that the voucher deal ends this month. I'm debating using it for Fire Emblem and Link's Awakening. It's a good deal if you can think of two games you'd buy at full price digitally in the next few months. Saves you $20.
Thanks for the heads up. Pokemon Sword or Shield is a given. I'm sure there will be something else.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Link's Awakening or Marvel UA3 will likely be my other.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:11 am
Skinypupy wrote:I’m trying to resist thinking that this will finally be the Fire Emblem game that clicks for me when none of the others really have...and save myself $60 in the process.
Voucher seems to only work if you have a Nintendo Online subscription.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:11 am
Voucher seems to only work if you have a Nintendo Online subscription.
Yes, the deal is part of the subscription.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My willpower is weak and I picked up the new Fire Emblem yesterday. I’m quite enjoying it so far, much more than previous versions. The social aspects are well done, and I already like every character better than any of the mopey, angsts teens in the Persona games. The ratio of social to combat is about 80/20 at this point but that might change. I’m finding I actually enjoy the social aspects more than the actual combat, which I’m terrible at.

Only problem is that there’s just so...much. It’s all quite overwhelming to figure out, and I can’t shake the feeling that I’m completely gimping my characters because I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Quick general strategy question. Is it better to level up a “core” team of 5-6 characters, or develop everyone equally?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What he said.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:06 pmWhat he said.
thanks
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm a few more hours in and very much enjoying it. Combat and social is about 50/50 now. I'm not worrying about gimping my characters. Focusing on what makes sense as I go. There is a lot of depth that's for sure.

Anyone know how to open chests on the battlefield? I walked up to one and had a chest key, but was not given an option to open it. I'm probably missing something obvious?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This game employs my two least favorite TBS mechanics:

1. The character who lands a killing blow gets massively more XP than others (which makes leveling healers overly difficult)
2. Idle team members do not gain any XP.

At some point, do you get the chance to “grind” battles in order to gain XP? Or are you locked into just the scheduled weekly battles?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That also leads to trying to take riskier shots with your weaker members. Which, in this game, risks nuking them permanently. Fun times!
YoungGrumpyMan

Post by YoungGrumpyMan »

Playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses as well.

As my first entry in the Fire Emblem universe, I'm loving it sooo much! I honestly didn't expect it to grab me this much. Already clocked in 14,5 hours on the game and it's barely 2 days after I've picked it up, xD. The addiction is real.

Who knows, maybe even a GOTY contender for me, I'm enjoying it THAT much. The combat itself is amazing, tense and strategic, and the prospect of permadeath makes me genuinely scared to lose characters I've grown fond of. The story is very nice, there is a lot of dialogue but it's not bothering me personally so far.

I'm already making dumb beginner mistakes. I thought the Iron Gauntlets would make every character of mine attack twice if they were initiating the attack, so I bought gauntlets for EVERYONE in my party, xD. When I got to the battlefield I then realized my assumptions were wrong, the gauntlets are yet another weapon you can choose, they don't provide an additional effect to some other weapon your character is using. Oh well, rookie mistakes. Gonna try to get back some of that money, I guess, lol.

Also, picked Blue Lions as my house.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Torfish wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 pm Anyone know how to open chests on the battlefield? I walked up to one and had a chest key, but was not given an option to open it. I'm probably missing something obvious?
The person approaching the chest needs to have the key in their active inventory. You'll then get a "Chest" prompt to open it when you stand next to it.

How it worked for me, anyways.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

While I really like the style and graphics for the new FE, I'm finding it a bit boring right now. Granted I'm likely only in the very beginning stages but it feels like the "social" aspect is kind of dull and slowing the pace down too much. I mean, it's FE and I want to be fighting lol. It's weird because normally I like this kind of stuff (the socializing) and the characters and vocals are all fine, but I just feel anxious that I'm not fighting more. And thus far the battles I've been in don't seem to have much weight. I suspect it's just that I'm impatient and I may actually still be in more or less the tutorial portion of the game. I've only done 3 (I think?) battles so far, and the rest of the time has all been animations and walking around chatting. I keep seeing ads for the game saying 'every choice matters" - but I feel like I really haven't made many choices at all, aside from the starter school. There doesn't seem to be much to the main story yet, I suppose. Again, I suspect it's just me being impatient, but then part of it is also the slow pacing isn't pushing me to play more.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Glad I'm not the only struggling with Fire Emblem's tiny, tiny text in handheld mode. It's basically unplayable for me unless it's docked because I simply can't read it. Even when it's docked, I have to see unusually close to the screen in order to see what it says.

It's quite frustrating.

The text is too damn small.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Here's a cute little accessory that's on Kickstarter now:

Supposed to take all the features of the dock and compress them into the size of a wall plug. I couldn't resist.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

If you are interested in the Switch with the longer battery life, it is apparently moving it's way into stores with little fanfare. Remember to look for the all red box. I think presently Gamestop is the best bet (supposedly). I called my local store yesterday and they told me to trade my old one in, and gave me $225 for it! They clearly had the process down pretty well.

I haven't had much time to test it out yet but I feel like my new unit's screen looks better (brighter) than the old one. It could totally just be my imagination though. Also the guy mentioned something about the joycons not having some analog stick bug (?) so that's a plus too.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Did you do anything to transfer your data from the old Switch to the new? How tricky is that process?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

rittchard wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:00 pm If you are interested in the Switch with the longer battery life
What's the difference in battery life? If it's double, I might make the effort. If it's an extra 20 minutes, I'm not sure I play undocked enough to go through the hassle.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 pm Did you do anything to transfer your data from the old Switch to the new? How tricky is that process?
I didn't but probably should have. It looks really easy, they menu you through it.

Also it's now up on Amazon:

Battery life is significantly better, original was listed at 2.5-6 hours, now at 4.5-9 hours; claim is 5.5 hours for Zelda. Not quite double but if you do play a lot undocked it seems like a worthy upgrade.
Last edited by rittchard on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Between 2.5 and 6.5 hours to 4.5 to 9 hours.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Tom's Guide did some real life testing fwiw:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/new-nint ... tification
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Just got back from my Nintendo Switch v1 <> v2 swap at GameStop. I also took the trade-in offer from GameStop: they gave my $225 for my v1 model and so I paid $102 (after tax) to get the new v2 (I live in CA, your sales tax may vary). They were really nice at the GameStop (haven't been in one in years) and transferred my data to the new console. I haven't had the time to try the new one but yes, the screen of the v2 looks a bit better, otherwise it all looks the same.

Transferring over data is not complicated, here are the things to keep in mind:

There are basically fourt types of data stored on your Switch:

1. Your account(s)
2. Your save games
3. Your screenshots
5. Your downloaded games

You cannot store your account information and your game saves on your SD memory card, only in the internal memory. That is what needs to be transferred to the new console. For this, both Switches need to be in the same wifi network (and, according to the GameStop crew, both consoles need to be plugged into a power source). Also, both consoles need to be on the same version of the OS. You need to log into your account using your credentials on the new console and then there is a "transfer all user data" option on the old console that transfers your account and saves to the new console. I have a lot of games on my Switch and most have saves and it took around 6mins. If you pay for Switch Online, your games saves should also be backed up to the cloud (I checked before that everything was backed up but I never restored any saves from the cloud).
For screenshots, you can either store them in the internal memory or on the SD card, so I moved all to my card before the swap and then copied them back to the internal memory of the new console.
Your downloaded games cannot be transferred to the new console. If you store them in the internal memory, the reason is obvious. But even if you store them on your external SD card memory (as I do), the new console will not be able to use this data. You will need to delete all this data (I chose to reformat the card) and you have to re-download all your games (which is what I'm doing now).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If you enjoy Tactics-style games (FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc), be sure to check out Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark. Just came out on Switch and it’s absolutely brilliant. A straight-up FF Tactics clone that gets nearly everything right.

Sat down to give it a shot for an hour yesterday...four hours later. It’s awesome. :wub:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I figured Astral Chain - the new action game from Platinum - would be a no-brainer. I've loved every one of their previous games (Bayonetta 1 & 2, Nier Automata, Metal Gear Revengance, Vanquish), and this one throws in weird alien mech-things with an over-the-top anime feel. It's getting stellar reviews all over the place, so it can't miss...right?

3 hours in, and I'm mostly unimpressed. Combat is so chaotic that most the time I have no idea what the hell is going on. While the story is kinda interesting, all the characters are one-note tropes. The music is annoying to the point that I actually turned it off. It looks merely OK.

Hoping it gets better with a little more experience with the combat, but this might end up being Platium's first "miss" with me.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

How would you rate the difficulty? Do you need to memorize complex combos and have precise timing to do well?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm How would you rate the difficulty? Do you need to memorize complex combos and have precise timing to do well?
...yes, I guess?

I've gotten through so far by mostly just button mashing. I'm guessing it'll likely ramp up at some point, but I'm really having a hell of a time figuring out the combat systems.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are both coming to Switch. Outcast comes out on the 24th.

Between these and the Infinity Engine games, the Switch is going to suddenly become a completely unexpected retro-PC gaming machine. 8-)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also SNES games... today. Torchlight 2... out as of last Friday. And Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered soon.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This may be something covered from a long time ago but is there some reason it seems like it's so (relatively) easy for devs to port old PC games over to the Switch? Just saw TL2 came out and I think Divinity is as well, and then the 2 Jedi games, etc etc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Played through the first 4 hours of the FF VIII remaster last night. Its the only main FF game since VI that I haven’t finished (ive gotten halfway through twice) and I’d like to change that this year. A couple thoughts:

- The higher res characters really look great...which makes it all the more jarring as they run around in front of the super low-res backgrounds. Disappointing that there wasn’t any effort put towards making those look better. It’s nearly impossible to find the riht spots to interact with the environment because it’s so blurry.
- How is there still huge frame rate slowdown in a PS1 game from 20 years ago? :?
- I still maintain that this is the best FF soundtrack. It’s incredible.
- The ballroom scene is right up there with Aeris’ death (VII), Yuna’s sending (X), and the opera (VI) as my favorite FF moments.
- The 3x speed is a godsend for Drawing magic, but feels a bit too fast for normal gameplay. Wish it had 2x and 4x speed options like FF XII did.
- The Junction system is really fantastic, although VERY poorly explained in-game.
- Plot has some seriously bizarre turns. I just got to the first Laguna bit, and had forgotten how completely WTF that is.

Not perfect, but so far, so good...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Anyone getting the new Link game? Thoughts on comparison with BotW?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote:Anyone getting the new Link game? Thoughts on comparison with BotW?
Doesn't compare at all. It's a remake of an old classic. I did redeem my voucher for it, so I'm locked and loaded.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:52 pm Anyone getting the new Link game? Thoughts on comparison with BotW?
I'm over the moon excited for it. I love the older Zelda games, but I'm 70% sure I never got around to playing this one. The cute tilt-shift style is just icing on the cake.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I will definitely get Link's Awakening at some point. I played the GB game some but never finished it.

On another note, I highly recommend against the Bloodstained game for the Switch. It's a great Metroidvania and Castlevania spiritual successor, but the Switch version looks worse, has a lower framerate, and (worst of all) has noticeable input lag.

They are reportedly working fixes, but I just bought it for the PC where it looks and plays beautifully. (A friend gifted it to me on the Switch.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A remake (remaster?) of the original Puzzle Quest comes out today. Only $15, and it includes the original, the first expansion, and a new xpac.

While I've played a bazillion clones since, I still think the first PQ game is the best match-3 RPG of all time. Will definitely be grabbing it when I get home today.