News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Rumpy »

I've been watching a Netflix series called Trapped. It's an Icelandic series, set in a small village, a quaint portside town with a small police force of 3 officers. Things are set in motion when a mutilated body is found in the water. This coincides with a ferry from Denmark that arrives on the very same day. They are quarantined and can't leave until the investigation is cleared. To make matters worse, a big snowstorm occurs closing all roads and prevents any flying in, including some of the experts from coming in from Reyjavik to help on the case. The 3 police officers are soon overwhelmed with the events occurring in the village.

Writing is pretty solid on this series. Characters are pretty interesting and it's always entertaining. Going to highly recommend this one. Only wish more police dramas could be half this good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3561180/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Oh good. It's on my list.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Only on Canadian Netflix though. :cry:
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:57 pm Only on Canadian Netflix though. :cry:
That's what a good VPN is for. :ninja:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unfortunately, Netflix is very good at blocking proxy’s. They finally did it for the service I use (and the one before that). I’m not sure I want to start experimenting with others at this point.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have they found a way to block Pirate Bay? I'm just sayin...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:57 pm Only on Canadian Netflix though. :cry:
Oh, I didn't realize it was only in Canada. See, when Netflix labels something as an Exclusive, there's no way of knowing wether it's an exclusive everywhere on the service. I really wish they'd show some distinction.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:38 pm Have they found a way to block Pirate Bay? I'm just sayin...
I definitely don’t wanna do that.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:06 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 pm I don’t know if it’s exclusive, but I watched The Endless the other day. Without going into too much detail, it’s a story about two brothers going back to visit a cult they escaped from years before. It’s a pretty well done, lower budget sci-fi flick. Definitely worth checking out.
FWIW, The Endless is actually a sequel of sorts to an earlier movie, called Resolution.
Thanks for the push - I finally watched The Endless which I had been planning to for ages, really enjoyed it although it was nothing like what I had been expecting. After reading more about it, I decided to give Resolution a try too (had to get it on Amazon Prime). Just started it and looking forward to seeing how it plays out. This filmmaker team is really talented, and are both also really good, attractive actors. I hope they do more work acting as well as writing/directing.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm on episode 5, of Stranger things, and man this season fun. Season 2 was ok, Season 1 fun and new. This one is just great. You can tell their budget was increased. The interactions with each other, especially with lucas and steve are great, and the new girl (the little sister) is hilarious.

Really enjoying this show. I'm afraid to find out how many episodes are left.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

naednek wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 pm I'm on episode 5, of Stranger things, and man this season fun. Season 2 was ok, Season 1 fun and new. This one is just great. You can tell their budget was increased. The interactions with each other, especially with lucas and steve are great, and the new girl (the little sister) is hilarious.

Really enjoying this show. I'm afraid to find out how many episodes are left.
Yeah this season is like one giant rollercoaster ride, the action sequences are fantastic and it's so funny. Pretty violent and gross, though, I'm surprised it doesn't have any warning at all.

Sad to report there are only 8 episodes. I'm hoping to wrap it up tonight.

Side note: I haven't seen it yet, but I keep thinking they should let David Harbour become Hellboy and fight the thingy lol.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Tore through "I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robertson" today and glad I did. It's sketch comedy and pretty damn funny. Tim excels at mining comedy out of awkward and steadily escalating situations, which is right up my alley. Another bonus is the absolutely brilliant performances by a ton of comedians including several SNL alums. Highly recommended.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:46 am several SNL alums
Are they ready for prime time yet?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm up to episode 8 on Umbrella Academy. I don't care much for Ellen Paige or Mary J. Bilgewater, but the rest of the cast is solid. I'm hoping they get the band back together for more superpower action.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm I'm up to episode 8 on Umbrella Academy. I don't care much for Ellen Paige or Mary J. Bilgewater, but the rest of the cast is solid. I'm hoping they get the band back together for more superpower action.
What?? How can you not be a fan of Kitty Pryde!!! :tjg:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the entire cast was. But the obvious standouts are Robert Sheehan as Klaus and Aidan Gallagher as Number Five. Both actors bounced between tragic and comic with amazing talent.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Surprised this didn't get any mention yet but I binged the entire season of Another Life this weekend. It's a "realistic sci-fi" (ish) show mixing standards from all your favorite sci-fi shows and movies. Katee Sackhoff is the lead, and does an admirable job keeping the whole space portion of the show together with her rather unique style. If you are a fan of hers you probably can't go too wrong as she is in it a LOT. Her husband is played by Justin Chatwin, who I've always loved since I saw him in the much hated Dragonball live action movie. He has a lamer earth-based role but they do try to bridge the two storylines more than other genre shows have.

The show mixes of elements of recent earth-based alien movies like Annihilation and my favorite Arrival with space-based movies like Life and Aliens and a ton of others. It can get cheesy and gratuitous in parts, and some of the (over)acting may drive you (me) nuts, but in general I found the show quite enjoyable. Maybe I was just really desperate for some/any new sci-fi content, I don't know. I suppose I could nitpick plot holes and bitch about some of the questionable story choices but I honestly just wanted to keep watching it. I really hope it gets another season. Curious to see what others think.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I watched the first episode this weekend. I found it plodding and really not very interesting. In fairness, the first episode doesn't get very far, but I had trouble finding a reason to care about any of the characters. The one I find most interesting is the Citizen representative because I couldn't immediately tell what stereotype they were going for. I'll give it another episode based on your enjoyment, but I'm not sure I'll make it through the whole thing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was initially somewhat interested, but when the reviews ranged from 'meh' to 'wow, this is bad', I decided to give it a miss.

Yours is really the only positive feedback I've seen about it, tbh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that just saved me at least an hour. Guess I'll give it a pass. Thanks for the head up! :D
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've watched the first two episodes of TYPEWRITER. It's a supernatural Indian horror/drama that I stumbled across based on a CNN click bait article talking about how it was "so scary people can't sleep." Seems like one of those over-hyped Netflix "sensations" comes along every few months.

While I haven't found it scary in the slightest (so far), it's definitely entertaining. A family moves into an old villa once inhabited by an author with possible ties to black magic. Meanwhile three kids obsessed with ghosts are trying to discover the secrets of the afterlife, and a police officer is investigating mysterious deaths surrounding the whole affair.

It's nicely paced, briskly jumping between the various character threads. Supposedly the scares ramp up as the series (just five episodes) progresses, so I'm hoping it gets more frightening. Even if it doesn't, it's a nice little dessert after Stranger Things and I've really enjoyed the cast.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sure, you get me to start watching it and the same thing will happen that always happens in Indian films. Everyone stops what they're doing at some point to break into a spontaneous dance routine, and then someone produces a flying shoe that knocks out all his enemies before returning to his foot.

You won't get me again with that.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:21 pm I watched the first episode this weekend. I found it plodding and really not very interesting. In fairness, the first episode doesn't get very far, but I had trouble finding a reason to care about any of the characters. The one I find most interesting is the Citizen representative because I couldn't immediately tell what stereotype they were going for. I'll give it another episode based on your enjoyment, but I'm not sure I'll make it through the whole thing.
Hehe his character definitely has an interesting story arc if you mean who I think you do. Is it Sasha, the pretty blond guy?

I have to admit the first episode was not impressive but the show changes quite a bit throughout the series and there are some interesting surprises/dilemmas throughout and some of the side characters get more attention as the show progresses. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea as it is quite uneven, but if you are as desperate for new sci-fi as I am I still thought it was worth the watch.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A trailer for the movie Is posted.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Watched the first episode of Wu Assassins. Cautiously optimistic. I like most of the cast so far. And they clearly did not hire Iron Fist's fight choreographer(s). Fights reminded me a lot of Tony Jai.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The return of Eddie Murphy, Wesley Snipes, and 70's blaxploitation. Damn everyone looks old now days.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/ ... on-legend/

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Naked Director is a Japanese series about the early days of hardcore adult films in that country. So far so good. The show goes from all out comedy one second, to dour crime show the next. But in a way that almost reminds me of Breaking Bad.

Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Mindhunter starting tomorrow I believe.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, more creepy Ed Kemper. I was happy to see that actor popping up in so many shows and movies after he got such rave reviews for that performance.
Covfefe!
raydude

Post by raydude »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:09 pm Sure, you get me to start watching it and the same thing will happen that always happens in Indian films. Everyone stops what they're doing at some point to break into a spontaneous dance routine, and then someone produces a flying shoe that knocks out all his enemies before returning to his foot.

You won't get me again with that.
That actually sounds pretty cool.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just watched The Red Sea Diving Resort. I think this could possibly Netflix's Oscar contender of the year, unless they find something even better, but I somehow doubt it. This is the story of the Ethiopean refugee crisis of the 70's and the attempts by Mossad agents to smuggle them to safety. In order to do so, they buy an old diving resort next to the Red Sea as cover for their operation and things get more complicated when they get real tourists to their 'resort' and the military get wind of their operation. I thought it was really great. The direction was well done and so was the writing and dialogue. After having suffered through plenty of horrible Netflix movies, this one needs to be applauded. Of course, there's the cast, which is also great. Ben Kingsley, Chris Evans, Greg Kinnear among others. If there's one downside about it, it's the length. It felt overly long and drawn out. But I still really enjoyed it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Watched Last Chance U season 4 and QB1 season 3.

Jason Brown is perplexing as the center of Last Chance U. On the one hand he appears to be genuinely concerned about these kids on the other hand he seems unable to change at all. If you have watched the first 3 seasons this one will not disappoint.
If you watched season 1 (or was it 2) you saw one of the players on Hard Knocks episode 1...though he did not make a very good impression and really wasted a great opportunity.

QB1 - 2 of the 3 QBs are hard to like for me. Only the kid from Louisiana has me rooting for them. It is interesting that they must sign up for this thinking only great things will happen....and when they don't suddenly they want cameras around. I enjoyed watching the show though.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:01 pm Just watched The Red Sea Diving Resort. I think this could possibly Netflix's Oscar contender of the year, unless they find something even better, but I somehow doubt it. This is the story of the Ethiopean refugee crisis of the 70's and the attempts by Mossad agents to smuggle them to safety. In order to do so, they buy an old diving resort next to the Red Sea as cover for their operation and things get more complicated when they get real tourists to their 'resort' and the military get wind of their operation. I thought it was really great. The direction was well done and so was the writing and dialogue. After having suffered through plenty of horrible Netflix movies, this one needs to be applauded. Of course, there's the cast, which is also great. Ben Kingsley, Chris Evans, Greg Kinnear among others. If there's one downside about it, it's the length. It felt overly long and drawn out. But I still really enjoyed it.
Thanks. I'm putting it on the watch list.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Jaddison wrote:Watched Last Chance U season 4 and QB1 season 3.

Jason Brown is perplexing as the center of Last Chance U. On the one hand he appears to be genuinely concerned about these kids on the other hand he seems unable to change at all. If you have watched the first 3 seasons this one will not disappoint.
If you watched season 1 (or was it 2) you saw one of the players on Hard Knocks episode 1...though he did not make a very good impression and really wasted a great opportunity.

QB1 - 2 of the 3 QBs are hard to like for me. Only the kid from Louisiana has me rooting for them. It is interesting that they must sign up for this thinking only great things will happen....and when they don't suddenly they want cameras around. I enjoyed watching the show though.
Always watch last chance u but not familiar with qb1. Same principle just QB's only?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

QB1 follows 3 or 4 top HS QBs in their senior year of HS so it is a little different from Last Chance U.

That said I would swear one of the QB1 quarterbacks must have decided he wanted to emulate Malik Henry......if you watch QB1 season 3 won't be long until you see what I mean.

I still wonder how Malik Henry thought his antics would help him get back D1.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That post made my head spin. It is like reading a networking manual, where every line is couched in acronyms!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

QB = Quarterback
QB1 = Name of show "QB1: Beyond the Lights"
HS= High School
D1= Division 1 NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association)...where most every high school football player who wants to go on scholarship hopes to play
Last Chance U.= name of Netflix show about junior college football where everyone hopes to get a D1 scholarship offer or make it back to D1 football
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's like some of you have never watched a baseball game in your life. :roll:
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Finished up the first season of Another Life last night. From what I've read it's been taking a drubbing from critics (silly me, I liked it well enough) so we may never see a second season and be stuck with the BF Cliff Hanger it ends with.
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As long as the show is getting enough views, Netflix doesn't seem to care what the critics say. Case in point: Tuca & Bertie. Critics loved that show (and it was hilarious) but it got canceled after one season, presumably due to low viewership.
Black Lives Matter