Networking gremlins

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Networking gremlins

Post by Kraken »

Long story short, Wife's Toshiba laptop connects to our wireless network, but the internet is so slow as to be unusable. Her laptop works fine on other (public) wireless networks, so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the machine -- we just got back from Panera, where it was surfing their wireless nice and fast. I recently optimized Windows for speed and updated the network card driver with no improvement. I have tried changing the router's channel multiple times. I have tried giving the machine line-of-sight to the router -- literally five feet away with no obstructions. All of the other machines (3 other PCs, two printers, two phones) on our network perform normally despite distance and obstructions.

I am out of troubleshooting ideas. Why would one machine -- and ONLY this one machine -- have so much trouble with our network -- and ONLY our network -- when no other machines do? It doesn't have trouble finding or connecting to the network...it's just dog slow when it does.

Wife thinks this started after a Windows update about five weeks ago. The problem definitely appeared overnight -- one day it was fine, the next it was unusable. She thinks she remembers giving Windows permission to update just before it happened. The only system restore point is much more recent than that, so rolling back isn't an option.
Last edited by Kraken on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilraen

Re: One PC hates the network (or vice versa)

Post by gilraen »

Try disabling the IPv6 protocol in the network adapter? Some wifi drivers have issues when having to decide between IPv4 and IPv6.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Is firmware up to date on your router?

Could your wife's laptop be connecting at 2.4 GHz and everything else in the house at 5 GHz?

Is the internet slow to connect to a site when a browser is first opened or is it more that downloads are slow?

Maybe clear her wifi settings and rebuild them?

Maybe try from a command prompt "ipconfig /flushdns"?

Spitballin' here...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:52 pm Try disabling the IPv6 protocol in the network adapter? Some wifi drivers have issues when having to decide between IPv4 and IPv6.
I will try that later today. Also will compare the settings of my successful laptop to her crippled one...although everything should just be at default, since I never fiddle with these things.
Z-Corn wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:12 pm Is firmware up to date on your router?

Could your wife's laptop be connecting at 2.4 GHz and everything else in the house at 5 GHz?

Is the internet slow to connect to a site when a browser is first opened or is it more that downloads are slow?

Maybe clear her wifi settings and rebuild them?

Maybe try from a command prompt "ipconfig /flushdns"?
Firmware is up to date.

Router status says "mode: Up to 270Mbps at 2.4GHz" so I guess everything is connecting at that speed. Other available modes are:
"Up to 270 Mbps at 5 GHz and 54 Mbps at 2.4"
"Up to 130 at 2.4"
"Up to 130 at 5.0 and 54 at 2.4"

Internet is slow in all cases -- slow to connect, slow to load pages, and her file backup can't run. True in both firefox and chrome.

I have no idea how to clear and rebuild settings.

What would flush dns do?

It occurs to me that I could try cabling her machine directly to the modem and bypassing the wifi, might help narrow it down. One would expect a cabled connection to be fine. I'll try that later tonight, too.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

That "flushdns" removes any cached DNS entries on your machine so it can look them up again in case they've changed.
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had a similar problem with a laptop recently. It would run slow, and every ten minutes the wireless router would reset the connection, dumping every machine in the house from the internet, but only if the laptop was connected. I tried everything under the sun. Eventually I just reset the router to the factory defaults, and the problem was fixed. The thing is, I never changed anything on the router before the problem began, so something likely got corrupted somewhere.

It's a pain, but it may be worth a try at some point.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If I can't find a software solution I'm going to buy a new router. This one is 10+ years old, uses outdated encryption (WEP), and only ever gives us 25 Mbps of the 50 that we pay for. I only hesitate to replace it because (1) I'm not 100% sure that it will solve the problem if it's in software, and (2) I am too lazy to create a new network and introduce all of our hardware to it if I don't have to.

The router is a Netgear RangeMAX Next model WNDR3300.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:16 pm That "flushdns" removes any cached DNS entries on your machine so it can look them up again in case they've changed.
The machine isn't having any trouble finding sites, so I don't see how doing that could speed it up.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Toshiba is indeed fine when cabled directly to the modem, so the router is definitely the source of the slowdown. That was expected and is now confirmed.

Wife's wireless card is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265, but device manager also lists Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3 with a yellow exclamation point. "This device cannot start (Code 10)". Should I uninstall that? Does it matter?

Her Wi-Fi Status in Network Connections says IPv4 Connectivity: Internet, IPv6 Connectivity: No network access. I unticked its box anyway. It shows speed 243.0 Mbps and signal quality is excellent...i.e., everything looks dandy. Except for pages taking forever to load, that is.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:14 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:16 pm That "flushdns" removes any cached DNS entries on your machine so it can look them up again in case they've changed.
The machine isn't having any trouble finding sites, so I don't see how doing that could speed it up.
Me neither but it can't hurt and would only take a couple of seconds try. :wink:
-mf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Honestly if the router is a known issue for other things ie strangling your network, I'd replace it anyway. Home routers aren't terribly expensive.

That said you can also check to see what speed the card is negotiating.

First instruction I could find

https://www.cozlink.com/pice-a272-2387- ... 73447.html

Essentially device manager>Right Click NIC>Properties>Link Speed. Take notes so you can undo changes. I doubt it's the problem.

I would lean on router problems is the laptop is only strangled on home wireless.

Also have you tried kicking it? Meaning shut everything down that connects to the router (especially wirelessly) and boot router and modem and her workstation in isolation and then test traffic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am Honestly if the router is a known issue for other things ie strangling your network, I'd replace it anyway. Home routers aren't terribly expensive.

Essentially device manager>Right Click NIC>Properties>Link Speed. Take notes so you can undo changes. I doubt it's the problem.

I would lean on router problems is the laptop is only strangled on home wireless.

Also have you tried kicking it? Meaning shut everything down that connects to the router (especially wirelessly) and boot router and modem and her workstation in isolation and then test traffic.
Not a bad idea; I'll try that. I would replace the router if I could be sure that it would solve the problem. Might end up doing that anyway if everything else continues to fail.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Not a bad idea; I'll try that. I would replace the router if I could be sure that it would solve the problem. Might end up doing that anyway if everything else continues to fail.
Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to get off WEP. It's ridiculously easy to crack.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:18 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to get off WEP. It's ridiculously easy to crack.
yeah. this by itself warrants an immediate router fw upgrade for WPA2 encryption. if there isn't one available (and it doesn't run any opensource router fw) this should be replaced asap
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am Honestly if the router is a known issue for other things ie strangling your network, I'd replace it anyway. Home routers aren't terribly expensive.

Alright...those instructions are for Win 8. There is no "Link Speed" or "Speed & Duplex" item in the pulldown. However, I did check the speed from a different path (PC Settings - Network & Internet - WiFi) and it shows 270 Mbps with excellent signal strength.

I shut down everything wireless in the house, rebooted the modem, rebooted the router, rebooted Wife's machine and reconnected. No difference. I guess that rules out conflict with another device.

Just for yucks, I fired up my phone's hotspot and connected to that. Machine worked fine. So it really is just the router...which I already knew from connecting to different networks, but thought I'd check again anyway. Frustrating! I am no closer to an answer than I was when I started the thread. Unless somebody has a brainstorm in the next few days, it looks like a new router and network are the last resort.

Anybody want to recommend a super-duper, modestly priced, idiot-proof router? Ideally one that will find and welcome our printers without needing to introduce them via cable. It's been a long time, but I remember the printers being especially hard to connect.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:20 pm Anybody want to recommend a super-duper, modestly priced, idiot-proof router? Ideally one that will find and welcome our printers without needing to introduce them via cable. It's been a long time, but I remember the printers being especially hard to connect.
I would suggest going with The Wirecutter's recommendation for the best budget wi-fi router, namely the TP-Link Archer A7, available from Amazon for $57.99 w/ Prime:
TheWirecutter.com wrote:TP Link’s Archer A7 router is relatively inexpensive, and it’s a great choice for small homes or one- or two-bedroom apartments. TP-Link has improved the Archer A7 since we tested it in 2018, adding band steering (here called Smart Connect) and TP-Link OneMesh support via firmware updates. The A7 lacks beamforming and MU-MIMO, two high-end features that can improve speeds but aren’t vitally important, but still performs well at shorter distances. On our toughest test it outperformed two higher-priced competitors, though the Archer A20 and other top performers still beat it overall. It’s typically less than half the price of the Archer A20, and we think it’s the best router you can buy for less than $100.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Does your router have any QoS settings anywhere in the admin menu? If you see any of those, you may want to try disabling them...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

QoS is already turned off. On that screen, only WMM is on. Good guess, though; I suspect that some obscure setting is to blame since both the router and the PC work fine independently of one another.

I need a router that will cover the whole house, including the second floor. It's a small house, so I don't need super power, but there are walls and a floor to penetrate. Our old Netgear does that just fine.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

This is the router I just purchased and I am loving it so far. Reaches every corner of house. 2.4 downstairs in far corners of house and 5.0 upstairs and immediately downstairs in great room. I have like 8 devices connected to it and no problems so far.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks for the endorsement. August brought a financial shitstorm that I need to shovel out before I can buy anything, but I should be ready to wield the credit card again in a couple of weeks.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A thought occurred to me (as happens every now and then): What's different about the affected PC from everything else on the network? It's the only machine running Carbonite...which is complaining that it can't back up. Before I throw in the towel I'm gonna uninstall that and see what happens. It's a long shot, since it ran without incident for years, but it's the last thing I can think of.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I dunnon what carbonite is but is has (or had) mechanisms for throttling the Internet available or enforced at one time.

https://support.carbonite.com/articles/ ... strictions

https://support.carbonite.com/articles/ ... -Bandwidth

https://support.carbonite.com/articles/ ... -Bandwidth

This was more part of a server enterprise level feature/function.
Ensure Bandwidth Throttling if Necessary

By default, CSSB will use all available bandwidth when uploading or downloading data. This can affect network performance.

CSSB offers bandwidth throttling to limit the amount of bandwidth used during data transfer. Bandwidth can be throttled at all times or at certain times.
Though you said she connects to other networks at full speed, that sounds dubious at best.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carbonite's settings include a checkbox to limit its bandwidth usage. Also buttons to "pause backup" and "backup now." Neither of those buttons do anything as far as I can tell, which is why I'm inclined to uninstall it (just to test). Maybe it's permanently stuck trying to upload Wife's 500 terabyte outlook.pst file.

EDIT: Opened Carbonite after letting the machine sit idle for a few days, and saw that its file backlog had fallen from 2500 to around 1200, so it's definitely doing its thing. Clicked the Pause button and this time got a menu to select the duration, followed by a confirmation that it was paused. It made no difference. I don't think I need to go as far as uninstalling it to conclude that it wasn't the problem (which was a long-shot guess in the first place).

Task Manager - Performance - Resource Manager shows data trickling in and out, but I lack the expertise for it to mean anything to me. There are a lot of system processes using bandwidth, but nothing that looks especially out of whack.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm
This is the router I just purchased and I am loving it so far. Reaches every corner of house. 2.4 downstairs in far corners of house and 5.0 upstairs and immediately downstairs in great room. I have like 8 devices connected to it and no problems so far.
I just ordered this router with the intention of setting it up this weekend. I might be back for help or advice.

For some reason there was a 20% off coupon, so I got it for $49.29 including tax.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Success! Setup was fairly straightforward, even for the printers, and a speed test shows 59 Mbps down (vs 20-25 with the old router; we pay for 50). Best of all, Wife's laptop is fully up to speed and Wife is thrilled with it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a new networking gremlin.

Emboldened by my success setting up the router, I bought a new modem in order to stop paying my ISP $8.50/mo for theirs. I went with the Wirecutter's recommended DOCSIS 3.0 modem, a Motorola MB7621. Gave my ISP its MAC address and we were off to the races.

Except now my internet cuts out at random intervals. Sometimes it runs for 12+ hours with no hiccups, sometimes it goes down every few minutes. I worked with a technician over several days to make sure there are no problems on the line; she can't figure out why it keeps losing its connection, so they're sending someone out next Tuesday to verify that there's nothing wrong with the cable. I don't think there is. I suspect that my router is dropping the ball, and I don't know why.

When the connection goes down, the modem's indicator lights all look nominal, including a steady green internet access light. If the lights are accurate, the modem is still communicating. But the router's internet light goes amber. Rebooting the router doesn't clear it up. I replaced the cable between the router and the modem; no joy. Rebooting the modem always restores harmony...sometimes for minutes, sometimes for hours.

A couple of times, my router has popped up a "WAN connection error" browser window telling me to contact my service provider to set up an internet connection. When I clicked its Support link, I was able to navigate some web pages (meaning it was online? or are those pages stored?) that said something about cloning my computer's MAC address. I didn't understand that, and I'm afraid to flail around blindly because networking is voodoo to me.

If I revert to the ISP's rented Arras modem, all is well again.

Any ideas why my router isn't playing nicely with my new modem? Which component is to blame? As far as I can tell, my computers are connecting to the router just fine; the modem appears to be connecting to the ISP just fine; but the router occasionally stops talking to the modem (or vice versa) for unknown reasons. Rebooting the router does nothing; rebooting the modem makes them both happy again.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 pm A couple of times, my router has popped up a "WAN connection error" browser window telling me to contact my service provider to set up an internet connection. When I clicked its Support link, I was able to navigate some web pages (meaning it was online? or are those pages stored?) that said something about cloning my computer's MAC address. I didn't understand that, and I'm afraid to flail around blindly because networking is voodoo to me.
It does sound like the router is having trouble getting the WAN IP from the modem. You can try the instructions on the TP-Link support page for cloning the MAC address, it's their solution #2.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 pm A couple of times, my router has popped up a "WAN connection error" browser window telling me to contact my service provider to set up an internet connection. When I clicked its Support link, I was able to navigate some web pages (meaning it was online? or are those pages stored?) that said something about cloning my computer's MAC address. I didn't understand that, and I'm afraid to flail around blindly because networking is voodoo to me.
It does sound like the router is having trouble getting the WAN IP from the modem. You can try the instructions on the TP-Link support page for cloning the MAC address, it's their solution #2.
Yeah, that's the instruction that scared me away last time. I want to try one more test -- the next time it goes offline, I'll plug my laptop directly into the modem to verify that the modem still has its connection. Then I'll be sure that it's the modem-router connection. If I can verify that, I'll follow those instructions...I might be back to ask questions first. I wonder if the modem is looking for the old router's MAC address.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

If your old modem works still it seems to me your new modem is not provisioned properly. From my viewpoint it should be one or the other.

But then again, you have that weird socialist local ISP so who knows?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:53 pm If your old modem works still it seems to me your new modem is not provisioned properly. From my viewpoint it should be one or the other.

But then again, you have that weird socialist local ISP so who knows?
They don't have to kill the old MAC address to add a new one. The nice thing about having a municipal ISP: my customer number is 004908; I'm dealing with Theresa, I have her direct number, and this morning SHE called ME and offered to send a tech to my house because she can't figure out what's going on. He won't be able to do anything about my modem problem, as the line is probably fine, but I have another job for him to do: remove the filter on my TV cable so that I can use it for internet.

The easiest thing is to just keep using their modem, but...$8.50/mo. I've probably paid $800 for that damned modem already, and I still don't own it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

OK, not the result I expected. I waited for the router to lose internet (amber indicator), and plugged my laptop directly into the modem's ethernet port to see if it could connect directly. Nope. "Unidentified network: No internet." Ethernet properties says "Connected to unknown network, no traffic." I was trying to verify that the modem was still online, and IDK how to read that result. Does it mean that the modem was offline (despite its indicators to the contrary), or does it just mean that my laptop isn't configured to connect that way?

The instruction for cloning the MAC address says "1) Make sure that you are connected to the TP-Link Router with the computer that was originally connected to your Cable modem." By "connected to," do they mean wirelessly, or do I have to connect it via ethernet cable (it's connecting just fine wirelessly)? And what does "computer that was originally connected to your cable modem" mean? No computer was ever directly connected to the modem.

Internet has been flaky all morning, and I'm about to revert to the old Arras modem. Getting really sick of my connection coming and going so frequently.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd really like to solve this before the ISP tech shows up at noon tomorrow. It would help if I knew exactly what I'm trying to clone, from where to where. Namely, this instruction is tripping me up:

"1) Make sure that you are connected to the TP-Link Router with the computer that was originally connected to your Cable modem." By "connected to," do they mean wirelessly, or do I have to connect to the router via ethernet cable (it's connecting just fine wirelessly)? And what does "computer that was originally connected to your cable modem" mean? No computer was ever directly connected to the modem.

I need a little hand-holding. If I'm trying to clone the modem's MAC address, can I just copy it off the bottom of the modem? I am trying to perform "Solution 2" here. My interface doesn't match the one pictured; under Advanced > Network > Internet I can: Use default MAC address; Use current computer MAC address; or Use custom MAC address. I understand that I'm probably supposed to Use current computer MAC address, but where does that come from?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To further muddy the waters: I just tested an ethernet connection from my laptop to the old modem (which I used all weekend), and had internet. Unplugged the old modem, plugged in the new one, and also had internet over ethernet cable. So my earlier suspicion that the router is losing its connection to the modem might be wrong; now I'm thinking that the new modem is actually losing its internet access, even though its indicator lights tell me otherwise. (In my earlier test, I couldn't get online via ethernet modem connection when the router's internet indicator went amber but the modem's stayed steady green.) That would take me right back to square one, and indicate that there might be something for the tech to investigate tomorrow after all.

Anyway, I CAN plug my laptop directly into the modem and get internet, so I guess it has the MAC address I want to clone?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Did I just stump the overlords?

The new modem only needed one reboot today. The dude from my ISP is coming tomorrow to check out the infrastructure. We'll see if that makes everything better. If not, I'm going to keep nagging. I'm not letting you computer wizards off the hook. You WILL figure this out for me. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The tech -- a friendly, thorough, conscientious fellow -- was here for a full hour, doing all kinds of troubleshooting that went way beyond his responsibility. He finally concluded that the new modem (the Motorola) is not passing an IP address to the router in a timely fashion. That could be a flaw in its firmware, or it could be in the ISP's configuration file. It looks like the telephone tech upgraded my service last week from 50 to 100 MBps (because that's their standard now) without telling me or updating the config file; the modem apparently downloaded that file just 10 minutes before the guy checked it. There's a chance that might have fixed it. Also, a factory reset of the router might force it to use the correct IP address, so I've got that as a backup plan.

Just in case, he is going to ask his boss to remove the old Arris modem from my bill so that I can use it as a troubleshooting/fallback device. Eventually they will want to de-provision one of the MAC addresses, but I can keep them both at least temporarily so that I'll always have a reliable modem. Given that I've probably paid $1,000 for the Arris over the years, and it's two generations old, he doesn't think there'll be any problem talking them into giving it to me.

He also removed the filter from my TV cable, so I can move the internet into the living room when I buy the new TV.

The Motorola has been pretty stable for the past few days, so maybe it's settled in. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with the modem, or that I need to return it, and he said he'll monitor my connection for the next few days to see how it's doing.

Nice guy. This is the advantage to having a hometown ISP.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive not replied because Ive never dealt with stuff that you are having. Glad you got a supposedly good tech. Ive had a guy come out and sound all smart and informed and then another guy has to come out a week later and fix everything the smart guy f'd up and didn't know what he was talking about.

I have no idea what a tv filter is though. Here they require 1 box per tv. In the old days I simply ran a cable from the main tv to a spare one. With digital it wont work like that now. I only have 1 tv anyways now and it uses a DVR.

Paying so much for a modem is nuts. I didn't know people still did that. We used to. I paid like $5 a month but it paid off after so long and I owned it. I usually simply paid them in a lump sum and saved by doing it that way. Now days the modem is totally free. But ever since I got cable internet in the early 2000s when they changed modems they simply let me keep my old one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Heh. I figured I was in trouble when all the IT types in this forum went dark. It was nice to have someone knowledgeable on the scene. He remembered having been out to our house many years before and complimented me on my troubleshooting efforts so far; most of his customers don't get past "it no workie." IDK if the problem's solved, but I'm feeling better about the odds.

If I start getting dropouts again I'll reset my router and rebuild the network based on the Motorola. And if that fails, I'll probably return the Motorola (even though there's nothing really wrong with it) and revert to the old reliable Arris, which (I hope) I'm not paying for anymore. It supports speeds up to 300 Mbps, so it won't be obsolete for a few years, anyway.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

There is always the option that you've got a faulty modem and its direct replacement will make you happy.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yup, that's a possibility. Haven't had any disconnects since the tech guy left, so still cautiously optimistic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I rebooted 3x today, so tomorrow I'm going to try the factory reset on the router. Quick question: Is there any reason to do the hard reset with a paperclip rather than the software reset? The latter is a lot easier, but it feels like cheating.

If that doesn't work, I'll try cloning the MAC address. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to my Arris and return the Motorola, because I will have officially Tried Everything.