World of Warcraft : Classic

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Redfive

Re: World of Warcraft : Classic

Post by Redfive »

Honavo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:34 am Hope it will be official burning crusade.
It will not be BC at launch, just vanilla.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

While you certainly don't have to twist my arm to play WoW...I spend so much time playing retail, I haven't decided yet if I'll dabble in classic. I suppose I should at least reserve a name.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I tried to reserve a name, but at 30 minutes after it opened up, Blackhawk was already unavailable (or is a blocked name, although there are no NPCs named 'Blackhawk'.)

I still play regular, and have for a couple of months. I have no idea if I'll be playing much longer, though, as I'm already starting to feel a bit of burnout from the leveling, and I'm not even level capped yet. I have a feeling I'll hit 120, look at the rep grinds, gear grind, and world quests sitting in front of me like The Wall, and move on to something else.

I will be dabbling a bit in Classic, but I doubt I will invest heavily in it, time-wise. I still have plenty of memories of what it was like.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 amI will be dabbling a bit in Classic, but I doubt I will invest heavily in it, time-wise. I still have plenty of memories of what it was like.
Maybe, but you never played with ME! And this time I get to (role)play a PRIEST.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I didn't get too creative with names...I just created a human pally and named her the same as my existing human pally in regular WoW :)

It did warn me that Mankrik server is "full". Oh well, I remember login queues from WoD release. Can't be any worse than that.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

gilraen wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:44 pm Oh well, I remember login queues from WoD release. Can't be any worse than that.
Famous last words :lol:

I'm sure Monday evening is going to be a shit show, but I'll be there with bells on in any case. Really looking forward to it.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I won’t be playing, in spite of tremendous pressure from my brother. However, I hope for your sakes that you aren’t stuck in the looting position for 10 minutes at a time when you loot like the original launch day!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hah, I'd forgotten about that.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Redfive wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm I'm sure Monday evening is going to be a shit show, but I'll be there with bells on in any case. Really looking forward to it.
I'm going to be really cranky if the login servers go down Monday night and I can't play retail because so many people are trying to login to Classic.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Classic goes live tomorrow night!

Just one more post to let folks know that if you are considering giving this a shot you can have a 'home' with The Wanderers on Mankrik Alliance.

Hit me up on character name Belloch or using my battle tag in my signature and as long as I can get on tomorrow (!) I will make sure to get you an invitation to the guild.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Also, five hours before launch, Blizzard is lifting the restrictions on having more than three classic characters made (so you can reserve more names for potential future characters).

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... -26/263309
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

all the servers were full except for RP. Maybe i can jump over after people get their nostalgia fill and stop playing
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

:horse:

They are going to use the layering technology in the beginning so I'm not as scared of the "full" servers as I ought to be. Both the Legion and BfA releases went really well, so I doubt it will be like the old days.

Though, maybe they should throw in server crashes for nostalgia purposes.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:14 am Though, maybe they should throw in server crashes for nostalgia purposes.
If they don't include loot lag and scooting around the world in the kneeling position after trying to loot then it's not the real classic experience. :mrgreen:
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:20 am
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:14 am Though, maybe they should throw in server crashes for nostalgia purposes.
If they don't include loot lag and scooting around the world in the kneeling position after trying to loot then it's not the real classic experience. :mrgreen:
:orcs-cheers:
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:20 am
:lol:
morlac

Post by morlac »

LOL. The old Loot Scoot Boogey!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

well they are faithfully recreating the original launch experience......the the nostalgia begin!Que countdown watch party

And the World server is down......wow this almost too much nostalgia
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was just watching someone stream. Ahh the old days.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
morlac

Post by morlac »

I'm in for launch day shenanigans!

I just unearthed my authenticator iphone. Transferred that to my new ipad and got logged into my account.

I just subbed for 3 months and am now downloading the client at a brisk rate.

See ya in the que!
morlac

Post by morlac »

Jeebus 106 min que on Medium pop server Mankrirk

edit to add:

Rolled on lowest pop server with no que. Rolled a forsaken Rogue. Played 20 mins trying to find enough zombies to complete first quest....with 300 of my other undead friends. Mostly ran around until the server crashed. Can't login now. Good times WOW ;)

I will say for how obscenely crowded it was it was pretty much lag free till it crashed.

Will try again tomorrow!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if Gnome Warlocks and Undead Rogues are still viable like I recall.

Is it like the old days where you can only be either Alliance or Horde on a server and not have mixed sides on the same server?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 pm Is it like the old days where you can only be either Alliance or Horde on a server and not have mixed sides on the same server?
On the PvP servers - yes. On the PvE server, you can roll both factions.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still watching streams. Not many horde streams. Watching a undead player now. Really makes me think Id love to go back to an undead rogue. But I know me and I dont play anything much. I try. Im very bored. A little TF2 and a little AC Origin a day. Bout it. Also $15 a month is keeping me away lol. But it sure looks fun when I watch it. Takes me back to 2004 - 2006. Just not the same though in life as it was then. Most times you could put a gun to my head and tell me to play something and I couldn't.

Anyways you guys playing PVP or PVE? I always preferred PVP but these days I dont think I could take it. In the old day PVE was boring but I think last time I played (2010 or so) it was PVE.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres a link with servers and their queue and such.

https://classic.wowhead.com/news=294723 ... s-us-oc#us

One thing Im not sure will go over well.......having to go to a trainer to get your lvl'd skills.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

morlac wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:52 pm I'm in for launch day shenanigans!

I just unearthed my authenticator iphone. Transferred that to my new ipad and got logged into my account.

I just subbed for 3 months and am now downloading the client at a brisk rate.

See ya in the que!
Get yourself on Mankrik and we will get you an invitation to the Wanderers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow 350 min queues...narly.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Well, hit my goal last night and made lev 10 and tamed my first pet. Starglide the Hunter and Eclipse the Owl are quite happy, but Hamlet the human is quite sleepy this morning. ;) I'll be taking things with a bit more moderation here on out.

Also, I really need to look into some macros and add ons before I do anything else.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Queues were definitely awful (90 minutes), but once I was in the experience was fine. A small bit of kill stealing, but nothing brutal.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I knew from the beginning that I was not going to put myself through the launch wait queues and crowded starting zones. I'll jump in in a few weeks when things settle down a bit.

My guild only has one other person in it that actually played original WOW so they aren't very keen on creating a Classic guild or even playing it much. So, I think I'll create my toons on Mankrik and try to join the Wanderers.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ColdSteel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am I knew from the beginning that I was not going to put myself through the launch wait queues and crowded starting zones. I'll jump in in a few weeks when things settle down a bit.
That's about where I'm at. I want some of the nostalgia. I want to look at some of the old zones, wander around old Orgrimmar, that sort of thing. I doubt it will ever become a 'go to' game for me, though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thing is if you wait too long then the noob areas clear out and makes it harder to find groups and get help.

Queues suck but it would be tough to choose a server if I was playing. If I join an unqueued one that means not that many on it which means even less down the road to play with. If I wait in a line theres more people to play with now and later but theres that darn waiting to contend with. Gotta find a middle ground. Small wait but lots of people to join with.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Later on, that's what guilds are for.
Early on? There isn't that much group content. The zone wandering elite, maybe. The occasional group quest, but that's usually only one or two quests per zone, and there is no need in vanilla to 'clear' a zone. Dungeon quests are usually set up in town.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dream of playing this and it comes down to pvp or pve to me. Like maybe a pve warlock gnome and a pvp rogue undead. Just not sure Id care to be ganked these days. Back in the day it was fun...the never knowing when it could happen and always on the edge. Then getting revenge when it happened. Now Id be more likely to break my keyboard.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Redfive wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 am Get yourself on Mankrik and we will get you an invitation to the Wanderers.
Are you going to have a Horde side presence? I don't know if I can stomach playing a gnome mage.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone trying a pvp server?

Also what do you pay with now? Used to be a credit card. Do you have to buy Blizzard bucks then use that or can you still just attach a credit card to the sub?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, you can still pay with a credit card. Also, FWIW, if you subscribe these days, Blizzard gives you the base game and every expansion except the current one for free (unless they've changed that.)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

ColdSteel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 pm
Redfive wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 am Get yourself on Mankrik and we will get you an invitation to the Wanderers.
Are you going to have a Horde side presence? I don't know if I can stomach playing a gnome mage.
Not anything official. I like the idea of a horde alt but on all honesty my time is probably only enough for one character right now.

Had discussions about picking a PvP server for alts but, same deal.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

So I got home last night and entered the queue at 8600 with a wait so long I don't recall. But it gave me time to unwind and make and eat dinner and I think I made it in around 2 hours later, better than the original prediction. Will be interesting to see how long this persists.

Surprisingly the game ran pretty stable even though there were so many noobs running around all over the starter area. A little trouble finding mobs but that's expected. A lot more running around than I remembered, but that's part of the experience. I found myself mesmerized by the simplicity of having just 1 or 2 skills to hit, and the lack of easy workarounds like everything being spoon fed to you. I'm so used to the mobile MMOs now that essentially play themselves and this is quite the opposite.

It makes me wonder what the apparent popularity of this says about the changes to the genre. Is this purely a nostalgia thing or did MMORPGs take a wrong turn somewhere when they tended to make things easier for players and provide so many activities? Is it a fad that will fade away quickly or will it have lasting appeal?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Redfive wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:52 pm Not anything official. I like the idea of a horde alt but on all honesty my time is probably only enough for one character right now.
No problem. I sucked it up and created a gnome mage named 'Gnomeore'.