Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Random randomness

Post by hepcat »

disarm wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am
hepcat wrote:So a few months ago, I woke up to find myself suddenly an "outie". For all of my life I'd been an "innie", but I apparently have what's called an umbilical hernia. My doctor told me it wasn't serious and not to do anything unless it grows bigger or starts to hurt. But every single article i read on it on webmd and other medical sites say it's better to get it fixed rather than wait and see what happens. Thankfully, it seems to be a rather small surgery that doesn't even require a hospital visit.

I think I may get a second opinion as it does freak me the hell out. :cry:
It's not a big deal to have it fixed...quick nap and done in about 30 minutes as long as the hole (hernia) isn't big. You'll be sore for a couple weeks and no heavy lifting during the that time, but it heals quickly. As for when to have it repaired, it's not urgent, but waiting gives it time to grow and become a bigger problem. If it were me, I would see a general surgeon soon, get all the info about having it fixed, and then have the surgery when it's convenient.

I can see bring freaked out by it, but it's really not a big deal and pretty easy fix in the grand scheme of things.
And surgery completed yesterday. I was a little freaked out by the surgical assistant telling me that this type of hernia repair was more painful than others, but it honestly hasn’t been that bad. I’m sore, and walking sucks still, but I’ve got 3 more days to get better. Supposedly the pain should be gone by late next week.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If the doc was wearing a watched before they started make sure they still were when it was over.

A garbage truck crashed into a home here in town. The house was a 3 area home. By that I mean a bigger middle area then two smaller areas off the main ...like bedrooms. The truck went into the right one of those all the way to its read end. But Ive never seen a response like what they did. The house looked fine but that room then the city condemned the home that day and today they demolished it. Ive never seen them move that fast. Kinda crazy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:07 pm If the doc was wearing a watched before they started make sure they still were when it was over.
Now that you mention it, he was eating a junior mint right before the operation.
Covfefe!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

brought in canned soup today without an 'e-z pull lid' - i looked everywhere for a can opener and couldn't find any in the work kitchen. i asked office manager if one could be acquired. she said to go ahead and fill out a form and they would see if they 'had the budget for it' (her words). i know we're struggling with only 332 billion licensed devices on Earth and all....
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If all goes according to management plan then I get a company phone tomorrow. I am so depressed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 pm brought in canned soup today without an 'e-z pull lid' - i looked everywhere for a can opener and couldn't find any in the work kitchen. i asked office manager if one could be acquired. she said to go ahead and fill out a form and they would see if they 'had the budget for it' (her words). i know we're struggling with only 332 billion licensed devices on Earth and all....
That's why you ought to keep one of these handy:

Enlarge Image

Or, for something cheaper, one of these:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i miss carrying a pocket knife around, but my situation is kind of an outlier. i go to a lot of concerts (no knives allowed, yeah they search you/use metal detectors) and i ride my bike around, no car (so no place to leave the knife if i forget to take it off before i go to the show venue). i left my knife with security once and when i went to go retrieve it after the show they either lost it or it was stolen, they had no idea.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just go cheap and buy a P-38 or 100.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:28 pm Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
:?:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm i miss carrying a pocket knife around, but my situation is kind of an outlier. i go to a lot of concerts (no knives allowed, yeah they search you/use metal detectors) and i ride my bike around, no car (so no place to leave the knife if i forget to take it off before i go to the show venue). i left my knife with security once and when i went to go retrieve it after the show they either lost it or it was stolen, they had no idea.
Except for a brief time in basic in the service I've had a pocket knife on me my whole life.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm i miss carrying a pocket knife around, but my situation is kind of an outlier. i go to a lot of concerts (no knives allowed, yeah they search you/use metal detectors) and i ride my bike around, no car (so no place to leave the knife if i forget to take it off before i go to the show venue). i left my knife with security once and when i went to go retrieve it after the show they either lost it or it was stolen, they had no idea.
Except for a brief time in basic in the service I've had a pocket knife on me my whole life.
I carried one in later elementary school and all of middle school and it was never a thing. In high school it was expulsion worthy, so I stopped carrying then. Somewhere in my 20s I started carrying again for utility purposes until about the 3rd knife I forgot I was carrying had to be thrown away at the airport. I haven't carried utility or pocket knife of any sort since. That would have been sometime after 9/11, I'd guess.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 pm P-38
238?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Carried a pocket knife since I was 5 but I stopped this year. I need my pocket space for other stuff now and ...ya.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is the first month Ive had all my ducks in a row so to speak. Paid all my bills and have a whopping $88.00 left over to live on for the month. If I can do it and do it for 5 years Ill pay off the home.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There was a time when I was living on less. It's tough, but it is doable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 pm Just go cheap and buy a P-38 or 100.
I have had one of those on my keychain for like the past 30 years. Been a while since I've used it for a can but it's surprisingly useful.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My mom used to have one on hers. I had her keys for something, passed them back to her, and the blade drug itself across my palm as she retrieved them.

Fun times.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:30 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 pm P-38
238?
I prefer the PU-36 Space Modulator.

Anonymous Bosch

Indeed, a P-38 / P-51 (or the Australian F.R.E.D. miltary can opener, which provides superior leverage) makes for a terrific cheap and easy alternative. They're ideal for situations where a pocket knife would be frowned-upon, and are miniscule so adding one to a keychain is effortless.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:35 am
Indeed, a P-38 / P-51 (or the Australian F.R.E.D. miltary can opener, which provides superior leverage) makes for a terrific cheap and easy alternative. They're ideal for situations where a pocket knife would be frowned-upon, and are miniscule so adding one to a keychain is effortless.
They also look really cool.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm
I have had one of those on my keychain for like the past 30 years. Been a while since I've used it for a can but it's surprisingly useful.
Right up until you forget it's there and TSA takes it away at the security checkpoint (curiously enough, they missed it on the outgoing flight, but took it on the return).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s why you buy them in bulk. :coffee:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would love to see someone attempt to commandeer an airplane with this:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

going to need to find one locally - shipping kills the deal

..unless someone here just happens to have a bulk container of these and can just drop one in an envelope in the mail to me? i'll reimburse that person.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Geez. It's like you guys didn't even view the CIA spy kit video I shared in the Youtube thread. You have other travel options!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Amazon sells these in multipacks. Like 5 of each. Shipping cant be too much on these little things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 pm Amazon sells these in multipacks. Like 5 of each. Shipping cant be too much on these little things.
100 for $50, Prime eligible
Anonymous Bosch

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 pm
going to need to find one locally - shipping kills the deal

..unless someone here just happens to have a bulk container of these and can just drop one in an envelope in the mail to me? i'll reimburse that person.
Here's a 10-pack of P-51s for $7.49 w/ free shipping on Amazon.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had dozens of P-38s saved up from my army time. I gave a lot away and I'm down to my last couple.
They have been quite helpful for me during the years.
They came with C rations.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kevin Hart injured
Hart was one of three people involved in a crash in Calabasas, California, early Sunday, according to a California Highway Patrol incident report obtained by CNN.

Hart and the driver, Jared Black, sustained back injuries and were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment. The third occupant did not suffer any substantial injuries, the report states.

The three were traveling in a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda owned by Hart when Black lost control of the vehicle, according to the report, causing it to go off the road and roll down an embankment.

Authorities said Black was determined not to be under the influence at the time of the crash. CNN has reached out to representatives for Hart for comment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been watching this story all week. Seems weird. Hart left the car then got a ride home from someone and left the other two trapped in the car. He got attention back at his house. Someone else said to the effect "There was something on his back, his spine was sticking out". Weird stuff.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If one of you has half a million $ laying around you could own Darth Vader's helmet from The Empire Strikes Back.

https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/you-c ... ers-a.html
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The birth / death clocks. Real time numbers of births and deaths today and this year.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Just think...more people are born than die each day and the more people there are the more people are born. How long before the Earth is too full.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's already too full. We need a nuclear war!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If current trend lines continue, sometime between 2070 and 2100 global population will peak at 10-11 billion and begin to decline.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:17 pm If current trend lines continue, sometime between 2070 and 2100 global population will peak at 10-11 billion and begin to decline.
Do you know whether that projection factors in the impact of climate change?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:35 am Today is the day that I can officially declare "Mission Accomplished" in my War on Hypertension®.
Goddamnit... Is it even possible to utter the phrase "mission accomplished" without it coming back to bite you in the ass? I'm guessing not.

Last Thursday, I got to take a ride in an ambulance and spend a few hours hanging out in a hospital ER for what turned out to be a kidney stone. Between the impressively high BP reading taken by the paramedics (and subsequent disappointingly high BP readings) and some of the bloodwork results at the hospital, my doctor has advised that I need to go back on antihyptertensive meds. I've been slacking off for the last while on monitoring my BP at home, so while everything was solidly in the normal range as of March, I don't know for sure whether my current hypertension has been building over some portion of the last 6 months or is just due to stress/anxiety stemming from the whole kidney stone thing. Either way, the doctor advised that I'd be better off on than off medication. So here I am.

Did I mention goddamnit?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm on three different pills for cardiovascular issues and my doctor just told me that all my blood work and measurements are perfect - as if I wasn't taking any meds. Some of us apparently just need chemical adjustment and he told me I'll be on 2 out of the 3 pills I'm currently on for the rest of my life. The third he will drop if I can lose more weight. Also, the last ~8 months have arguably been the most stressed I've been in over a decade. The fact that everything came back ok is a testament to better living through chemistry. If the meds help, take the meds.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm on perpetual medication for hypothyroidism as of the past decade. i was dismayed to learn i was going to be on a 'forever med' back then, but it really is part of my routine now.